Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Let’s talk about the gap

Started by Snout team, March 19, 2018, 09:17:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Snout team

No, not Michael Strahan ;-).  I'm talking about the splits on the offensive line.  I expect them to be vastly different this year.

Missouri's gaps were some of the largest I have seen.  Yet they ran the ball pretty effectively most of the time.

Our foot to foot and hip to hip alignment seemed to lead to a lot of solid walls of human flesh with no where for the back to run, even in short yardage.

If any of you are skilled in OLine play can you break down for us the advantage vs disadvantage of one style/alignment over the other and what we might expect this year?
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Pork Ranger

I thought this was gonna be a thigh gap thread, what a disappointment..  however, I will agree I've seen some large gaps in MO as well

Swestwill66

I had a story to tell. Never mind...now.

kodiakisland

I don't know what we will see, but I bet we don't see play action on 3rd and long or delayed action runs on 3rd and short.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Dark Helmet Hog

I've always considered the gap to be very important. It can really affect the angles.

UA1985

Double edge sword. OL gets better angles on the DL and the additional space makes for larger holes. But the wider gaps make it more likely that a quick DT will shoot a gap and get into the backfield.

Al Boarland

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 19, 2018, 09:56:55 pm
I don't know what we will see, but I bet we don't see play action on 3rd and long or delayed action runs on 3rd and short.

Let's be honest. No matter the play call people will not like it if it doesn't work.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Pork Ranger on March 19, 2018, 09:21:51 pm
I thought this was gonna be a thigh gap thread, what a disappointment..  however, I will agree I've seen some large gaps in MO as well
DST......well, not any more.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: #hammerdown on March 19, 2018, 09:17:03 pm
No, not Michael Strahan ;-).  I'm talking about the splits on the offensive line.  I expect them to be vastly different this year.

Missouri's gaps were some of the largest I have seen.  Yet they ran the ball pretty effectively most of the time.

Our foot to foot and hip to hip alignment seemed to lead to a lot of solid walls of human flesh with no where for the back to run, even in short yardage.

If any of you are skilled in OLine play can you break down for us the advantage vs disadvantage of one style/alignment over the other and what we might expect this year?

Here's an article that mentions Morris at Clemson and some of his philosophy with a lot of detail about the various O-Line positions, their stance and splits.

To start we think its best to really explain the differences in the positions played and some alignment terminology before we start with the real differences between zone and gap scheme blocking. Since Chad Morris has said that we will switch out some of our zone schemes for gap schemes this season, presumably because gap is easier to teach and rep effectively, this should be important for understanding how our OL is playing next season.

Position demands change in each particular offense. Most pro-style systems will look for a blend of pass block and run block skills, but the linemen, paricularly the interior, end up larger and heavier. These teams run straight ahead most of the time. Option offenses will need mobile linemen who can pull really well and spread teams will go with the smaller guys who will usually be great pass blockers. Our offense is more of a blend of the latter two, since its developed from the WIng-T with a lot of downfield action put in.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/4/30/2985335/offensive-line-positions-and-basics

And then there is this in terms of O-Line blocking responsibilities on several play calls/alignments.

We'll now look at a couple power and speed variations of this play.  If you take this base play, pull both guards to the playside and use the fullback to seal for the backside guard, the result is the famous "Buck Sweep," shown below.

Up-front there is a scoop from the backside tackle.  As mentioned earlier, both guards pull.  The playside tackle, wing, and the tight end rule block "Down-Gap-Backer" (or "Gap-Down-Backer," depending on the line coach).  This is a basic concept with the three parts going as follows:

Down-Block: Angle block on the defender head up on the offensive lineman immediately inside
    Gap: Protect the gap immediately inside
    Backer: Seek a block at the second level

Simply, Down-Gap-Backer means the first responsibility is a down block.  If there is no down block to be made, protect your inside gap.  If there is no one shooting this gap, move on to the next level.  Gap-Down-Backer makes gap protection a higher priority than the down block.  In most plays from the wing-t, the majority of the playside linemen block DGB and the backside linemen will get a scoop/reach.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/9/2188729/inside-the-morris-offense-wing-t-roots
Go Hogs Go!

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

DeltaBoy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on March 20, 2018, 05:45:05 am
Here's an article that mentions Morris at Clemson and some of his philosophy with a lot of detail about the various O-Line positions, their stance and splits.

To start we think its best to really explain the differences in the positions played and some alignment terminology before we start with the real differences between zone and gap scheme blocking. Since Chad Morris has said that we will switch out some of our zone schemes for gap schemes this season, presumably because gap is easier to teach and rep effectively, this should be important for understanding how our OL is playing next season.

Position demands change in each particular offense. Most pro-style systems will look for a blend of pass block and run block skills, but the linemen, paricularly the interior, end up larger and heavier. These teams run straight ahead most of the time. Option offenses will need mobile linemen who can pull really well and spread teams will go with the smaller guys who will usually be great pass blockers. Our offense is more of a blend of the latter two, since its developed from the WIng-T with a lot of downfield action put in.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2012/4/30/2985335/offensive-line-positions-and-basics

And then there is this in terms of O-Line blocking responsibilities on several play calls/alignments.

We'll now look at a couple power and speed variations of this play.  If you take this base play, pull both guards to the playside and use the fullback to seal for the backside guard, the result is the famous "Buck Sweep," shown below.

Up-front there is a scoop from the backside tackle.  As mentioned earlier, both guards pull.  The playside tackle, wing, and the tight end rule block "Down-Gap-Backer" (or "Gap-Down-Backer," depending on the line coach).  This is a basic concept with the three parts going as follows:

Down-Block: Angle block on the defender head up on the offensive lineman immediately inside
    Gap: Protect the gap immediately inside
    Backer: Seek a block at the second level

Simply, Down-Gap-Backer means the first responsibility is a down block.  If there is no down block to be made, protect your inside gap.  If there is no one shooting this gap, move on to the next level.  Gap-Down-Backer makes gap protection a higher priority than the down block.  In most plays from the wing-t, the majority of the playside linemen block DGB and the backside linemen will get a scoop/reach.

https://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/9/2188729/inside-the-morris-offense-wing-t-roots

Thanks the Bucksweep as great old Wing T staple.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

nwahogfan1

Putting players in motion, faking in the back field and having one or two OLM pulling are 3 great ways to confuse  and out flank the defense.  These are designed to either slowing down the DLM or getting them to chase the fake or running with the motion/pulling OLM and this makes it so much easier for our OLM to block.  But we must understand there will be times the defense guesses right or gets lucky enough to stunt in the right place at the right time.  This is when a play blows up and we get a loss yardage play.   

ballz2thewall

Quote from: kodiakisland on March 19, 2018, 09:56:55 pm

we can hope!

that drove me insane. play action can work really good when you don't needs the yards, but 3d and long - NOPE.
The rest of the frog.

Hoggish1

When you have linemen who can move you have wide gaps.  When you have big road graders you tighten up and plow.  We will now have the former.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

twistitup

I believe he calls it the Morris Gap T

sickboy

Cotton

"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: tusked on March 20, 2018, 03:18:15 pm
Interesting info with plays.  Pretty sure this is what CM runs.

http://assets.ngin.com/attachments/document/0101/8074/Delaware_Wing_T_-_Coach_Thurman.pdf
I love that offense. that was the 1st one I ever learned back at Belton Junior High lol.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hawgboy64

"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

WJBilly

Quote from: Pork Ranger on March 19, 2018, 09:21:51 pm
This is what I though of.

Couldn't find the Col.Potter version.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on March 20, 2018, 01:13:10 pm
Fill the GAP!

No protect the gap.

Meaning keep the gap open for the running back. If the O-line FILLS the gap that means there is no hole for the RB.

That's the defense's job. FILL the gap.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: HenduHog on March 21, 2018, 07:45:06 pm
No protect the gap.

Meaning keep the gap open for the running back. If the O-line FILLS the gap that means there is no hole for the RB.

That's the defense's job. FILL the gap.

I believe you and he are talking about a different gap..............
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

twistitup

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 21, 2018, 07:51:21 pm
I believe you and he are talking about a different gap..............

You talking about this gap?

https://www.ams.usda.gov/services/auditing/gap-ghp

or this one

Mike Irwin

I thought maybe it was this gap.

twistitup

Inhogswetrust

March 22, 2018, 07:34:17 am #28 Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 11:44:12 am by Inhogswetrust
Best gap I ever saw.......Lauren Hutton.  Teeth gap I mean.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Tusks

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on March 21, 2018, 11:28:25 am
I love that offense. that was the 1st one I ever learned back at Belton Junior High lol.

Don't shoot the messenger.  It's the foundation for CM's offense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

PorkRinds

Quote from: Mike Irwin on March 21, 2018, 09:51:26 pm
I thought maybe it was this gap.

We have the Michael Strahan of football stadiums.

code red

I don't think Coach B believes in outside zone blocking.  Coach Morris will in fact create a tandum and coach his oline to determine (with their eyes) who will reach for backer.  It will probably look like a chinese fire drill for a year. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

LJHOG

We have to keep the gap between o linemen small.  They are not athletic enough to cover even semi-wide gaps.

DeltaBoy