Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Golf in Hawaii

Started by CabotHog87, February 04, 2018, 07:31:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotHog87

So I'm going to Hawaii for the first time and I'm shipping my own clubs. I'm golfing for 3 rounds at Kapalua. Two rounds at the Bay Course and one at the Plantation Course. Has anyone gotten to play these? How is it? Any tips or things I should be aware of/prepared for?

ricepig

It's been years ago, but I played the Plantation and Bay courses. The views are spectacular, but those add to the difficulty and the need for a forecaddie. There is such a change in elevation and slope that finding your golf ball after teeing off can be an adventure, and that's with a good shot! Are you playing with a group, or on your own, that can help with the cost of the caddy. I also played a course in Lahani, around the resort hotels, but can't remember the name, much tighter with trees, but you could find you tee shot, lol. There were several in that area, they all looked about the same.

CabotHog87

Quote from: ricepig on February 05, 2018, 09:36:16 am
It's been years ago, but I played the Plantation and Bay courses. The views are spectacular, but those add to the difficulty and the need for a forecaddie. There is such a change in elevation and slope that finding your golf ball after teeing off can be an adventure, and that's with a good shot! Are you playing with a group, or on your own, that can help with the cost of the caddy. I also played a course in Lahani, around the resort hotels, but can't remember the name, much tighter with trees, but you could find you tee shot, lol. There were several in that area, they all looked about the same.

Thanks! It's just me golfing so I'm sure they'll pair me up with a group. They didn't mention anything about a forecaddie but that'd be cool.

UAGolfer1981

I have played both.  Plantation course was my favorite of the two.  Stunning views and MUCH more undulating than it appears on TV.  Can get very windy in the afternoons. Club selection and course management are keys to good scoring.  A caddie or yardage book is a must of you want to score.  Greens are very large and grainy.  My recommendation would be to enjoy the views and have fun!

CabotHog87

Quote from: UAGolfer1981 on February 05, 2018, 02:02:55 pm
I have played both.  Plantation course was my favorite of the two.  Stunning views and MUCH more undulating than it appears on TV.  Can get very windy in the afternoons. Club selection and course management are keys to good scoring.  A caddie or yardage book is a must of you want to score.  Greens are very large and grainy.  My recommendation would be to enjoy the views and have fun!

I've heard about the wind so I booked my rounds in the mornings. I've also heard about club selection/elevation changes so I'm hoping that my rangefinder w/ slope will do it's job. Above all else, like you said, I'm just going to enjoy myself and the views. I'm humbled that I get to even make the trip and have the experience.

Boog41

I played the Plantation course a number of years ago. It was just myself and a buddy, so we started early.....like first one's off early. As mentioned above, stunning views.

We encountered the grounds crews on one hole and they honest to God had a garden tiller in the sand traps fluffing them up. Never seen that before, or sense.

I think the one "must do" is play the pro tees (tips) on number 18, which is the longest hole on the PGA tour. (or at least it used to be)

ocsm158

Have only played the Village course, which is no longer there. Views were spectacular. Did play Ka'anapali north course which used to be a PGA tournament course. Great course but not much view wise.

HognitiveDissonance

Played Bay which has the scenic par-3 over the ocean, the rest is ok.

Plantation is a lot of fun. Enjoy the scenery, it's one of the most spectacular courses you'll ever play. In the winter and spring the whales are everywhere out there.
There's a good chance you may hit the longest drive you've ever hit on #18. I know I did, it's all downhill and downwind, usually. I ended up 100+ yards from what I normally hit.
The grain on the greens was very pronounced, I thought. Grain is always a factor, but very much so in Hawaii. If putting against the grain, you really had to kill it.

root_hawg

Headed to Hawaii in May, not sure what I will get to do there but hopeful will get in some golf.  We are staying at the 4 seasons, not sure what the course associated with it is called.

GolfNut57

Quote from: root_hawg on February 19, 2018, 08:18:33 pm
Headed to Hawaii in May, not sure what I will get to do there but hopeful will get in some golf.  We are staying at the 4 seasons, not sure what the course associated with it is called.

For he who fancies himself a golfer and goes to Hawaii it is mandatory to get in at least one to two rounds. Otherwise you may as well take up bird watching.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

CabotHog87

Had an absolute blast at Kapalua, they really know how to keep things moving at both courses. Played all 3 rounds in no more than 4 hours and 15 mins per round and of course the views were spectacular. Shot 87-84 at the Bay Course and 88 at the Plantation Course. Not bad for it being my first time laying eyes on them in person. It was crazy how much of a difference the grain makes on their greens.

Dillar Dog

Putts breaking uphill and such?

CabotHog87

Quote from: Dillar Dog on March 21, 2018, 06:00:39 pm
Putts breaking uphill and such?

For sure. And I have a high ball flight and couldn't get anything to hold on a green unless it was sloped straight uphill from front to back. Had a few shots that should have been within 6-10 ft but just kept releasing.. Also, some putts were uphill into the grain and if you were more than 25 feet away you'd have to almost take a full swing with the putter haha. Some putts were downhill but back into the grain, and then uphill but down grain etc. It was tough to get used to.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: CabotHog87 on March 22, 2018, 08:32:58 am
For sure. And I have a high ball flight and couldn't get anything to hold on a green unless it was sloped straight uphill from front to back. Had a few shots that should have been within 6-10 ft but just kept releasing.. Also, some putts were uphill into the grain and if you were more than 25 feet away you'd have to almost take a full swing with the putter haha. Some putts were downhill but back into the grain, and then uphill but down grain etc. It was tough to get used to.
Yep, I distinctly remember that which is why I mentioned it.
I remember a putt on #10 at Plantation, for some reason, that may have been about 20 feet that I felt gave a good rap, and barely got it halfway to the hole. It was against the grain, but relatively flat. 
I don't know why the grass is the way it is down there, but it would take a while to get accustomed to. I've never really run into such a pronounced difference in the grain anywhere here in the States.