Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Baylor football's may have been fun to watch, but it's time to shift attention

Started by jbcarol, April 28, 2016, 12:16:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/slmandel/status/725386416415379456

QuoteToday it's time to focus on another number that's turning one of college football's purported feel-good stories into a human tragedy.

That number is nine. As in, at least nine women have reported to police they were raped or assaulted by Baylor football players since 2009.

One is too many. Nine is unconscionable. Especially when you realize most of those attacks could have been avoided.

The poor handling of sexual assault cases on college campuses is a nationwide crisis. Specific to college football, Florida State recently paid former star Jameis Winston's accuser $950,000 to settle a Title IX lawsuit. In February, six women filed a Title IX suit against Tennessee saying the athletic department created a "hostile sexual environment." Unfortunately, Baylor football is not alone in its place in this epidemic.

Yet there's something uniquely troubling about the headlines in Waco, which is, three of the alleged attackers — Elliott, Oakman and Ukwuachu — were abusive to multiple women. Be it from incompetence, apathy or both, neither their coach nor their university took any steps after the first incident to prevent another.

During his eight years on the job, Briles has turned Baylor into...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 22h22 hours ago

Baylor's Art Briles said if Baylor/TCU made @CFBPlayoff 2 years ago "I don't think (Big 12) would be talking about (expansion). No question"
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

hawgfan4life

If Baylor and TCU had played in a legitimate tough conference and schedule and earned the right to have been there, it wouldn't be a debate.  Briles should talk less and win more.  Quit expecting a free pass because OU is a top tier program and TX used to be. 

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/BobLeyESPN/status/733017949456486401

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 5h5 hours ago

Damning in OTL piece: woman who told Waco PD of 2 assaults by a Baylor player said she WASN'T contacted by outside firm doing investigation.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Dennis Dodd Verified account
‏@dennisdoddcbs

McCaw on what is the right action when a victim comes forth with allegations of sexual assault: "That's a Title IX matter."

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 1h1 hour ago

Josh Ward Retweeted Dennis Dodd

Baylor AD Ian McCaw. What a pathetic answer.

jbcarol

Rzbakfromwaybak

Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ChipBrownHD/status/735132063678889984

Josh Ward ‏@Josh_Ward 4h4 hours ago

Josh Ward Retweeted Chip Brown

Report says Starr - not Art Briles - will be blamed "for failed leadership during the ongoing scandal."

MJ2

So Kenneth Starr is the fall guy at Baylor.    Much easier to replace a school President than a winning football coach, so the change makes sense.

DeltaBoy

If anyone leaves I would say Star will go unless they can some poor ole assistant coach.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

goshog

greasy_corner

Quote from: goshog on May 24, 2016, 12:45:57 pm
http://musingsofstef.blogspot.com/2016/05/dear-baylor-i-no-longer-have-affection.html?m=1

Reading this he absolutely deserves to be first in line. Hopefully others will follow

Agreed.  Chip Brown is reporting that Baylor BoR is offering him up as the sacrificial lamb though...to save Briles.

SemperHawg

I'll be interested if the court of public opinion accepts this offering.  Once OTL gets ahold of something for ESPN, they usually want a high profile firing... At this point not even sure it matters, some of the recruiting articles I have caught lately say that most of their recruits are starting to look around.  Even if Briles keeps his job, this opens the door for Charlie at Texas to start taking some recruits back.

Ole Art will be back to 5 win seasons in no time and then the Baylor fans can claim they never liked him anyways because of all of the "Thugs" that he brought in and couldn't control.  The same "Thugs" they all cheered when they were winning games and building new stadiums.

goshog

Quote from: greasy_corner on May 24, 2016, 12:56:07 pm
Agreed.  Chip Brown is reporting that Baylor BoR is offering him up as the sacrificial lamb though...to save Briles.

Yea I understand that, I haven't read a whole lot on it because it just makes me sick. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and get rid of everyone involved, but I won't hold my breath on that.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: goshog on May 24, 2016, 01:17:22 pm
Yea I understand that, I haven't read a whole lot on it because it just makes me sick. Hopefully they'll do the right thing and get rid of everyone involved, but I won't hold my breath on that.
While I'm certainly not a huge Kenneth Starr fan, the bottom line is it's the athletic department, especially the football program, that's been the major problem here. How interesting, convenient and totally in character, however, for the school to NOT go after the real heart of the issue-Briles and his ilk. Yep, far more important to sell out (no pun intended) to the faction that's primary interested in the money machine that is the football program. Can't let that recently expanded stadium go to waste after all.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: SemperHawg on May 24, 2016, 01:02:50 pm
I'll be interested if the court of public opinion accepts this offering.  Once OTL gets ahold of something for ESPN, they usually want a high profile firing... At this point not even sure it matters, some of the recruiting articles I have caught lately say that most of their recruits are starting to look around.  Even if Briles keeps his job, this opens the door for Charlie at Texas to start taking some recruits back.

Ole Art will be back to 5 win seasons in no time and then the Baylor fans can claim they never liked him anyways because of all of the "Thugs" that he brought in and couldn't control.  The same "Thugs" they all cheered when they were winning games and building new stadiums.
Hey, let us snag that TE first!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

goshog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on May 24, 2016, 01:33:07 pm
While I'm certainly not a huge Kenneth Starr fan, the bottom line is it's the athletic department, especially the football program, that's been the major problem here. How interesting, convenient and totally in character, however, for the school to NOT go after the real heart of the issue-Briles and his ilk. Yep, far more important to sell out (no pun intended) to the faction that's primary interested in the money machine that is the football program. Can't let that recently expanded stadium go to waste after all.

I agree, I hate Art Briles. The tweet he sent out the other day, with the hash tags #becourageous  and #truthdontlie was pretty much a huge middle finger to all the victims.

ricepig

Quote from: greasy_corner on May 24, 2016, 12:56:07 pm

Chip also said last winter that Sumlin was out......

King Kong

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

cosmodrum

Welp, they offered up the pound of flesh. They can replace a president. Hard to replace a winning FB coach that brings in serious cash, especially at Baylor.

Briles will probably be fine.
Go away, batin'

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

greasy_corner

Quote from: ricepig on May 24, 2016, 01:51:08 pm
Chip also said last winter that Sumlin was out......

I recall...maybe he meant Sumlin was out, as in "passed out"?

ricepig

Quote from: greasy_corner on May 24, 2016, 04:28:17 pm
I recall...maybe he meant Sumlin was out, as in "passed out"?

Ahh, very good chance of that, we may need to read more into Chip's wording.....

Mike_e

Wasn't Starr the one most vocal in threatening Law suits over the big whatever breaking up?

hashtag Karma
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

SamBuckhart

BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

hog.goblin

staffhog

Justifiable Hogicide

The holier-than-thou and hypocritical Baylor is the perfect nest for a scumbag like Art Briles.

PonderinHog

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on May 24, 2016, 09:36:52 pm
The holier-than-thou and hypocritical Baylor is the perfect nest for a scumbag like Art Briles.
and Starr

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Not for certain Starr is gone, but if he is, he should be.  Still, Starr should have been the second shoe to drop. Briles should be the first.

EFBAB

DeltaBoy

Baylor is denying it this morning news cycle but the reporter from the Austin Statesman sticking to his guns.

jackflash

Baylor has to do something. Offering up Starr to see if this will quite it down. I don't think so.

rljjr

Speaking of Baylor, cheating, assaults, and just plain dirty programs, does anyone have video of the 1975 (I think it was 75) vs Baylor in which one of their dirtbags laid out Steve Little on a kickoff, knocking him out of the game? I've searched YouTube but can't find it. This guy was way offsides and plowed Little.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Whiskeyhog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQbei5JGiT8

Here is their new training video.  (Warning:  Mature language)

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

jbcarol

whosiskid

There is a lot of irony here with Starr (who, btw, I believe attended Harding College as an undergraduate) having made his name persecuting Clinton over lying about whether or not he had had consensual sex, getting fired for not investigating rape accusations. Hypocrisy might be the better word, but it confirms everything I had ever thought about Starr, that he is a slimeball.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol.  Yep, they will probably fire Ken Starr, & the equipment manager.

The athletic director, head coach & all the assistants...knew nothing about what was going on with their athlete's.   ;)

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: whosiskid on May 25, 2016, 02:55:37 pm

There is a lot of irony here with Starr (who, btw, I believe attended Harding College as an undergraduate) having made his name persecuting Clinton over lying about whether or not he had had consensual sex, getting fired for not investigating rape accusations. Hypocrisy might be the better word, but it confirms everything I had ever thought about Starr, that he is a slimeball.

Not taking up for Starr on the Baylor thing at all...(about whatever has happened there). Starr was right about Clinton lying under oath.  Federal judge fined Clinton & he lost his Arkansas law license for a number of years. What Starr did back then, did not make him a slime-ball IMHO.  The behavior Clinton was participating in back then, could easily have left a sitting president open to blackmail by the wrong people. Dangerous predicament.

HouSwine

Starr spent lots of public funds in order to destroy a president and create a culture for the Republicans who have emulated him ever since, rather than governing. IMHO.