Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Captain Ahab or the Long haters

Started by RexMentor, November 10, 2017, 09:20:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RexMentor

"Aye, aye! and I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up."
--Captain Ahab in Moby Dick

I for one am sick to death of the vendetta some have embarked on and continue against Jeff Long. It has gotten beyond stupid, vengeful and reckless.
He fired your little Bobby Petrino and you are bent on revenge. Be careful what you wish for. Ahab got his whale but it cost him his life. You life isn't at stake if you continue this vendetta, but your relevance and respect surely are at risk.
He fired Petrino. Petrino deserved it. He was the author of his fate and you will be the author of yours.
It's time to get over it.

"The White Whale swam before him as the monomaniac incarnation of all those malicious agencies which some deep men feel eating in them, till they are left living on with half a heart and half a lung. [. . .] All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."
Moby Dick

HoggieStyle

Birminghog

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 09:20:16 am
"Aye, aye! and I'll chase him round Good Hope, and round the Horn, and round the Norway Maelstrom, and round perdition's flames before I give him up."

I for one am sick to death of the vendetta some have embarked on and continue against Jeff Long. It has gotten beyond stupid, vengeful and reckless.
He fired your little Bobby Petrino and you are bent on revenge. Be careful what you wish for. Ahab got his whale but it cost him his life. You life isn't at stake if you continue this vendetta, but your relevance and respect surely are at risk.
He fired Petrino. Petrino deserved it. He was the author of his fate and you will be the author of yours.

"The White Whale swam before him as the monomaniac incarnation of all those malicious agencies which some deep men feel eating in them, till they are left living on with half a heart and half a lung. [. . .] All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick. He piled upon the whale's white hump the sum of all the general rage and hate felt by his whole race from Adam down; and then, as if his chest had been a mortar, he burst his hot heart's shell upon it."
Moby Dick

+1 for the Melville references. Literacy on HV!

RexMentor

Vendetta: a prolonged bitter quarrel with or campaign against someone.

It fits.

Tusks

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 11:47:54 am

It fits.

Are you talking about Longs actions against hog fans?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

RexMentor

Don't be obtuse.
Obtuse: annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand.

mckinneyhog5

Bravo! Could be my favorite post this football season seeing not much football has been discussed.
My favorite part:

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil, to crazy Ahab, were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Moby Dick.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

HawgWyld

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 12:01:49 pm
Bravo! Could be my favorite post this football season seeing not much football has been discussed.

Well, discussing football is depressing for Hogs fans these days...

Seebs

hehehhehehhehhehheheheheh ... he said Dick.

I am happy that in these conversations none of us has any barometer or bearing on what the heck happens to Long or CBB. I am sitting back and enjoying the show on all fronts.

Gnats that we are.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Peter Porker

Anytime someone says yankee or carpetbagger it lessens their argument. It makes it seem as if the real issue you have with them is which part of the country they're from and not the performance of their job.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

HawgWyld

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 10, 2017, 12:06:06 pm
Anytime someone says yankee or carpetbagger it lessens their argument. It makes it seem as if the real issue you have with them is which part of the country they're from and not the performance of their job.

Go back to Yankeeland, you carpetbagger  ;)

RexMentor

It's not about football. It's about relevance and perception of power with Petrino's situation a very convenient stone on which to sharpen the knives.

jgphillips3

Moby Dick

Are you personal friends or acquaintances with Jeff Long?  This seems almost personal to you.  I don't care about Long one way or the other.  His record as AD merits a "meh" from me.  Some good, some bad, but largely unremarkable. 

Sure some dont like him for being a yankee.  I'm sure some wouldn't like me just because they hate attorneys or white guys or straight men or whatever their personal issue is.  So what. 

Most people aren't anywhere close to vendetta against Long except for the fact that his rash actions with Petrino and seeming support for this failed coach sure bring into question whether or not he has "our" best interests at heart...and that is a valid question. 

There is now enough direct and anecdotal evidence to at least raise valid and pointed questions about Long. If he stays and hires the right coach, this will be forgotten.  If he digs in for Bielema, bumbles another hire or something, then he will have become his own version of Ahab, destroying our program in search of his white whale.

lumphog

RexMentor

I've never met nor have I ever communicated with Jeff Long.
But you're right about one thing. It is personal.
Everyone should take personally a screaming mob, brandishing pitchforks and flaming torches with ropes in their hands. Take personally any situation where the truth is a hostage to desired outcomes and, when it become obvious, it becomes something to be dismissed as just an opinion. That's what's wrong with public discourse today.

RexMentor

And as for Long's action against Petrino being "rash." Rash wouldn't have given him the chance to stay after the police report was issued -- a chance that Petrino threw back into Long's face.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Peter Porker on November 10, 2017, 12:06:06 pm

Or is still brings up the Petrino firing.

Count Hogula

Moby Dick

Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Seebs on November 10, 2017, 12:03:55 pm
hehehhehehhehhehheheheheh ... he said Dick.

I am happy that in these conversations none of us has any barometer or bearing on what the heck happens to Long or CBB. I am sitting back and enjoying the show on all fronts.

Gnats that we are.

Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

hawgball40

Alternate narrative:

OP trying desperately to distract from the fact that Jeff Long hired Bielema and gave him the infamous contract extension, for which Jeff is fully culpable, and thus must be held to account for it.

OP's argument is a strawman

Kevin

jeff long's people are out in full force today
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RexMentor

Quote from: hawgball40 on November 10, 2017, 01:03:09 pm
Alternate narrative:

OP trying desperately to distract from the fact that Jeff Long hired Bielema and gave him the infamous contract extension, for which Jeff is fully culpable, and thus must be held to account for it.

OP's argument is a strawman

Nice try. But an historic fail. The only way JL should be held accountable is if he knew 2016 and 2017 season results at the time (2015). So, Long is a time traveler!!!!!!!!

hawgball40

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 01:05:20 pm
Nice try. But an historic fail. The only way JL should be held accountable is if he knew 2016 and 2017 season results at the time (2015). So, Long is a time traveler!!!!!!!!
another strawman? come on dude.

farmhawg

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 12:14:12 pm
It's not about football. It's about relevance and perception of power with Petrino's situation a very convenient stone on which to sharpen the knives.
Sounds like you can't get over petrino, weird but ok.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

dfwalumdad

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 12:27:19 pm
I've never met nor have I ever communicated with Jeff Long.
But you're right about one thing. It is personal.
Everyone should take personally a screaming mob, brandishing pitchforks and flaming torches with ropes in their hands. Take personally any situation where the truth is a hostage to desired outcomes and, when it become obvious, it becomes something to be dismissed as just an opinion. That's what's wrong with public discourse today.

i have nothing against long. in fact i think he's done a pretty good job. the bielema hire on paper looked like a home run hire at the time. i believe it was the only hire in the SEC that year of a coach from another P5 head coaching job.

hiring bielema or an angry "mob" from hogville isn't what got jeff long summoned to little rock yesterday for  that three hour public humiliation in the auditorium of pulaski county vo-tech with the media in attendance.

the BOT did that.

if long has been a intransigent supporter of bielema behind the scenes then maybe that's why he got summoned, but he certainly hasn't been a very vocal public supporter of the coach this season. with the exception of "we're not a win at all cost" comment he hasn't said much of anything regarding the coach. typically AD's will give the obligatory "i'll sit down with coach at the end of the season like i do every year" before they fire the coach.

we haven't even heard that.

i can promise you that what ever is going on with long is entirely of his own making and has zero to do with this web site or angry mobs.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Kevin on November 10, 2017, 01:04:40 pm
jeff long's people are out in full force today

Yup.

However O. P. "Ishmael" choosing to equate the condition of Arkansas's athletic department to the Pequod might well be unintentionally accurate and as I recall Moby Dick swam off from the scene of accident but unable to free himself from his tormentor and never to be seen again.

Michael D Huff AIA

Let the record reflect that Herman Melville and classic literature have been quoted on Hogville. 

We're upping our standards around here.

(T minus 5 seconds until the next "Bielema is fat".)

RexMentor

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 10, 2017, 01:49:31 pm
Yup.

However O. P. "Ishmael" choosing to equate the condition of Arkansas's athletic department to the Pequod might well be unintentionally accurate and as I recall Moby Dick swam off from the scene of accident but unable to free himself from his tormentor and never to be seen again.

You may not call me Ishmael.

Oklahawg

Arkansas fans need more Melville. We need less Greek tragedy. Or comedy, for that matter.

We seek a superhero. With every failed candidate we set the bar even higher.

Jesus Christ would be hated upon for taking an entire three days to figure out how to extract himself from a darned cave. We would likely question his mid-30s bachelor status and worry about him hanging out with prostitutes.

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

RexMentor

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 10, 2017, 02:26:44 pm
Arkansas fans need more Melville. We need less Greek tragedy. Or comedy, for that matter.

We seek a superhero. With every failed candidate we set the bar even higher.

Jesus Christ would be hated upon for taking an entire three days to figure out how to extract himself from a darned cave. We would likely question his mid-30s bachelor status and worry about him hanging out with prostitutes.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

No apology necessary. In fact, you've hit a bulls eye and a nerve or two I supect.

DeltaBoy

Long Like Captain Ahab has tried to sink our ship.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

RexMentor

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 10, 2017, 02:34:46 pm
Long Like Captain Ahab has tried to sink our ship.

You might try reading the OP before posting.

bphi11ips

Melville is overrated.  Give me Dickens any day.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RexMentor

Quote from: bphi11ips on November 10, 2017, 02:44:10 pm
Melville is overrated.  Give me Dickens any day.

In our current situation, the Count of Monte Cristo would be appropriate.

bphi11ips

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 02:48:38 pm

All Quiet on the Western Front
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 02:37:25 pm
You might try reading the OP before posting.

I have Ahab lost his leg , wrecked his ship all for a crazy idea to kill the White Whale.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Birminghog

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 11:47:54 am

It fits.

La Vendetta - Le Nozze di Figaro

https://youtu.be/va6EVm5dZfc
I thought this thread could use some Mozart. ;D

RexMentor

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 10, 2017, 03:22:03 pm

I have Ahab lost his leg , wrecked his ship all for a crazy idea to kill the White Whale.

As far as it goes, quite right. Now, go look in the mirror,

RexMentor

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 03:45:40 pm
La Vendetta - Le Nozze di Figaro

https://youtu.be/va6EVm5dZfc
I thought this thread could use some Mozart. ;D

I would prefer Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Birminghog

Quote from: Count Hogula on November 10, 2017, 12:41:58 pm
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche

how about some Mel Brooks

https://youtu.be/BsHuNFEa8H4

Birminghog

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 03:48:02 pm
I would prefer Vivaldi's Four Seasons.

Me, too, but he didn't write anything about vendetta as far as I know.

ricepig

RexMentor

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 03:49:43 pm
Me, too, but he didn't write anything about vendetta as far as I know.

No, but don't the dry martini's go down so well with it playing in the background.

RexMentor

hassettsportsman

Only spiny lobsters for Mr. Long, as part of his golden chute, he isn't deserving of real live Maine Lobster!

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 10, 2017, 01:52:24 pm

Could care less like with most.  Its fun chasing "The Whale".            Great book btw, though the part where every damn whale in the world being described and their functions or whatever gets annoying.   
No kidding, had a long car ride with my son and listened to the audio book.  He loved that part, I think it took a 100 miles to get through it... 

EastArkHog 47

Know one thing after reading through all this, Bielema or Long ain't the white whale, the whale was a winner and both these guys are losers.

snoblind

Quote from: RexMentor on November 10, 2017, 02:48:38 pm

Quote from: ModestoHOG63 on November 10, 2017, 02:50:53 pm
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
Clancy
Quote from: bphi11ips on November 10, 2017, 03:19:28 pm
All Quiet on the Western Front

3 classics that I read a long time ago.  Heck, it's been over 40 years since I read Moby Dick.

If I had any sense I'd blow this place off and spend the time rereading the classics.

TulsaHawg