Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does a 22-7 record get us in?

Started by Kamkaizen, December 09, 2016, 08:38:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kamkaizen

I took a look at the basketball schedule and my prediction is that the Hogs will finish 22-7 going into the SEC tournament.  Do you think that will be good enough to go dancing?

razorhead94

Depends on RPI...SOS...non-conference SOS.  Win any road games?  Record against RPI top 50 etc.  Lots of variables besides just a record.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Hawg Red

Depends on what victories stand within those 22 games and how strong the SEC as a conference was. I'm right in front of you at 23 wins going into the SECT.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Kamkaizen on December 09, 2016, 08:38:25 am
I took a look at the basketball schedule and my prediction is that the Hogs will finish 22-7 going into the SEC tournament.  Do you think that will be good enough to go dancing?

When you say that, my first response is -- don't lose in the first round of the SECT.
[CENSORED]!

DiamondHogFan

Aren't there 31 games on our schedule, or did I count them wrong.  I came up with an estimated 23-8.

13 non-conference games (11-2)
18 conference games (12-6)

razoredge178

Quote from: Kamkaizen on December 09, 2016, 08:38:25 am

I think you come up short at 22, maybe even 23, without a couple of good wins in the tourney. And we all know how we do in the SEC tourney..

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on December 09, 2016, 08:57:11 am
Aren't there 31 games on our schedule, or did I count them wrong.  I came up with an estimated 23-8.

13 non-conference games (11-2)
18 conference games (12-6)

Yes.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

December 09, 2016, 09:15:21 am #7 Last Edit: December 09, 2016, 09:36:45 am by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: razoredge178 on December 09, 2016, 09:01:52 am
I think you come up short at 22, maybe even 23, without a couple of good wins in the tourney. And we all know how we do in the SEC tourney..

Well every NCAAT is different as to what gets teams in or out.  But it is hard to miss with 22-23 wins out of one of the major conferences.  The committee has to have a real lack of respect relative to other teams being considered in terms of who you played, beat and lost to.  I don't believe our schedule is close to that embarrassing plus we will get some of the better SEC teams twice unlike SC last season who got the bottomfeeders twice and avoided the top of the conference mostly in a second matchup.  Plus their lack of achievement in the ooc. 

Recent at larges from the SEC have had 19-13, 21-11, 22-10, 20-12. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

311Hog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 09, 2016, 08:48:49 am
When you say that, my first response is -- don't lose in the first round of the SECT.

This is my feeling as well.  if MA goes deep into the SECT i think it will do wonders for the Hogs chances regardless the record going in (have to be at least decent like 20-9 etc.)  because last two years been 1 and done so getting to the final or semifinals at least would show progress, and if we "close out strong" in the regular season could get the "hot team" vote.

razoredge178

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 09, 2016, 09:15:21 am
Well every NCAAT is different as to what gets teams in or out.  But it is hard to miss with 22-23 wins out of one of the major conferences.  The committee has to have a real lack of respect relative to other teams being considered in terms of who you played, beat and lost to.  I don't believe our schedule is close to that embarrassing plus we will get some of the better SEC teams twice unlike SC last season who got the bottomfeeders twice and avoided the top of the conference mostly in a second matchup. 

Recent at larges from the SEC have had 19-13, 21-11, 22-10, 20-12.

The conference has likewise had some left out at 22-23 wins, but I get it. Unfortunately, the SEC continues on a downward trajectory in basketball. It wouldn't surprise me if only 2 or 3 teams get in. Too early too tell. And hey, why not us as one of those 2 or 3?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 09, 2016, 09:30:40 am
The conference has likewise had some left out at 22-23 wins, but I get it. Unfortunately, the SEC continues on a downward trajectory in basketball. It wouldn't surprise me if only 2 or 3 teams get in. Too early too tell. And hey, why not us as one of those 2 or 3?

To get an idea, you would have to take the time to look at the different resumes (RPI, SOS, Top 25-50-100 wins, bad losses etc.) and guess why the committee left them out vs putting someone else in that particular year.

Since it isn't about a set amount from a certain conference, we would need to look at the depth of other conferences and see what they may be putting up as contenders.  The ACC looks extremely deep vs the Pac 12 not so much so far. 

I'm guessing with our schedule's lack of dead weight + playing SEC teams like Florida and A&M twice would put us in a good position with 22 or 23 wins. 

We also know the committee changes and their emphasis/excuses change as to why teams get in and don't. 

yraciv

Right now conference RPI is 5th. Way too early, but that includes Florida, UK, SC, Auburn, MS and us in top 26. A&M is at 54 and UGA at 65.  SFA is our only bad win, and they are bound to turn it around.

Danny J

Quote from: yraciv on December 09, 2016, 10:15:30 am
Right now conference RPI is 5th. Way too early, but that includes Florida, UK, SC, Auburn, MS and us in top 26. A&M is at 54 and UGA at 65.  SFA is our only bad win, and they are bound to turn it around.
Yes but it's getting better...just a few years ago this time of year the SEC was like 9th behind many mid major leagues...so it's heading in the right direction

hogsanity

22 likely won't get them in because that is a 22-9 record ( 31 games on the schedule ). Right now it looks likely the Hogs go 10-3 at worst in the ooc, so that would mean a 12-6 SEC record. At that point you are just praying that IPFW, UTSA and a couple other ooc teams had outstanding seasons ( but even then you beat the at how which does not carry as much weight ) that you beat Texas and OSu and they had great years, or that you went to A&M & FLa and won. How di you close? Did you limp home 404 in your last 8 or did you go 6-2 or 7-1?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hobhog

12-6 in conference would get us in I think, assuming we don't lose badly in Sect.

rude1

Going to depend on how that record is assembled, where the wins came from. 23-8 with a win at Rupp would be much different than 23-8 without that win.

98hogs

22- 7 gets you in  21 -8 and 20 -9 should get you in

Hog Pharm

Quote from: 311Hog on December 09, 2016, 09:24:30 am
This is my feeling as well.  if MA goes deep into the SECT i think it will do wonders for the Hogs chances regardless the record going in (have to be at least decent like 20-9 etc.)  because last two years been 1 and done so getting to the final or semifinals at least would show progress, and if we "close out strong" in the regular season could get the "hot team" vote.

We made the championship game two years ago.

hogsanity

Quote from: 98hogs on December 09, 2016, 08:05:26 pm
22- 7 gets you in  21 -8 and 20 -9 should get you in

20 wins with this schedule and the weakness of the sec will not get them in the ncaat. 20 wins means 11 loses, because it is a 31 game schedule. That does not even count the sect.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogwood

22 wins gets us on the bubble probably - sweating it out on selection night - unless we show well in the SECT and end up with 24 wins with a semifinal appearance.

hawgmasta

23 is usually the magic number I feel like; once you get 24 or more in a P5 it should be a lock.

RedyorNot

Lunardi has us as a 12 seed in the way too early bracketology playing out of the East region. That'd be tough sledding but I'll take it.

daprospecta

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 10, 2016, 12:11:57 pm
Lunardi has us as a 12 seed in the way too early bracketology playing out of the East region. That'd be tough sledding but I'll take it.
Right! Nothing beats watching the selection sunday show knowing your team has a good chance of being  selected.  Hopefully, with the current team and the recruits coming, we will not worry about being selected but what seed.

Dominicanhog

22-9 needing one in the sect to feel comfortable....

lynbug

Depends upon what every other Division I team does this year (yeah, I know sounds very elementary, but true).  Every year there are teams with 22 or near wins sitting around on selection Sunday and find out they're left out.....so who knows at this point.  And remember, we have no road or conference wins......yet.

Rirruto

http://www.rpiforecast.com/wizard/Arkansas.html

You can go through and pick whether you think we will win or lose and it will spit out what our RPI will be (projected). For example, I plugged in a win at OK St and a win at Texas. That leaves us at a projected 23-8  record with an RPI of 22 heading into the SEC tournament.

On their main site, it has our projected RPI breakdown by record. 22-9 leaves us at 27.9 and 24-7 is 16.8, so the answer to your question is yes. This number might differ from the link above because it uses statistical models to determine what games it thinks we will win.

Cinco de Hogo

24 wins is always a magic number for a SEC team not named Kentucky or Florida.  Anything less than that and the selection committee will be looking for reasons to exclude a SEC team.  I think it's kickback for football and baseball.  The committee would just as soon out UALR in with 27 wins as an Arkansas in with 23.