Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Imagine Allen and Monk on the hill....

Started by elksnort, December 06, 2016, 10:14:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

When Arkansas high school football talent it's hard to build a football team. There's enough basketball talent in  this state to build a great basketball team at Arkansas

elksnort

This current team will do well to make the ncaa's. If they had a big time star, theyd go even further..

TomasPistola

Pretty sad when you have to reply to your own thread.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Rawker

Quote from: TomasPistola on December 06, 2016, 10:30:11 pm
Pretty sad when you have to reply to your own thread.

I hate to add numbers to this thread, but I haven't laughed that loud that suddenly in a while.  Thumbs way up, man. 

elksnort

You are correct about being sad in replying to own thread. I meant add it it to the OP.
So plus one to to you pistola.
It is also pretty sad when your flagship university basketball program loses the best talent that your small state has to offer each year.

(notOM)Rebel123

"I would hope you support who we are, not who we are not."
Coach Norman Dale, Hoosiers.

"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Little Lady Back

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2016, 07:05:51 am
You are correct about being sad in replying to own thread. I meant add it it to the OP.
It is also pretty sad when your flagship university basketball program loses the best talent that your small state has to offer each year.

What's also pretty sad is when you don't recognize or acknowledge the talent that your flagship university basketball program has playing for you and the U of A!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Hawg Red

So considering the fact that we have every top in-state player on board from 2017-2019, why are you still talking about past recruits? We can't do anything about the past, but there is so much positive momentum going inside the state right now. We'd all love to have Allen and Monk in Hog red, but it didn't happen. Since then, the coaching staff has dominated in-state recruiting.

Me Like Hogs

I think most that followed both Monk and Allen realized that they did not want to come to the U of A, for whatever reason. I can't say that we lost a recruit that we were never going to get in the end anyway. We seem to be getting top in state talent in the future and doing so early, not waiting for their signature at the last moments.

mbgrulz

That CMA had the state locked down for the next 3 years?

Gafford? Check
Garland? Check
Hall? Check
Henderson? Check
Hill? Check
Sills? Check
Joe? Check

ricepig

Quote from: mbgrulz on December 07, 2016, 09:22:05 am

That CMA had the state locked down for the next 3 years?

Gafford? Check
Garland? Check
Hall? Check
Henderson? Check
Hill? Check
Sills? Check
Joe? Check

I'd say that unless we are a tournament team and advance beyond the Round of 32, you will be reminded daily of some in-state guy we didn't offer that goes to some mid-major and does!

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 07, 2016, 08:32:44 am

I love you guys.     :'(
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

elksnort

Hope you folks are correct about these  Arkansas High school talented guys who allegedly are going to Arkansas.

Some of you folks are so easily flustered. I have been watching and rooting for Razorback basketball since 1976.

My main point was that our state apparently produces enough high level basketball talent for the U of A to win and win big. The football team can't count on the same thing.

So real soon we should be seeing NCAAt every year, right?

yraciv

It only takes like 7 or 8 in basketball, and you can have a good team.  It takes a lot more in football! That said it's also easier to be upset in basketball than it is in football, and postseason play "the standard" is a loftier goal. Arkansas is designed to be a better basketball school based on our limitations on in state recruiting, and the amount of quality basketball players that come out of this state relative to football.  This has always been the case!  It takes the right leader and guy to land them though and built it back.  I have my doubts about Anderson, but am cautiously optimistic with what the next 3 years look like.

Hawg Red

Quote from: elksnort on December 07, 2016, 11:12:24 am
Hope you folks are correct about these  Arkansas High school talented guys who allegedly are going to Arkansas.

Some of you folks are so easily flustered. I have been watching and rooting for Razorback basketball since 1976.

My main point was that our state apparently produces enough high level basketball talent for the U of A to win and win big. The football team can't count on the same thing.

So real soon we should be seeing NCAAt every year, right?

Yes, we should start seeing the NCAA tournament most seasons soon. Hopefully starting this season. I think the team is talented enough to get a bid.

hoglady

It's taken Anderson a little while to get the in-state recruiting going - getting Fitz Hill and Bill Ingram on board appears to have helped tremendously.
It's not like Anderson's years with Nolan helped him, that was probably an obstacle to overcome and it looks like he has.
I sure don't blame Anderson for Monk - I think he did everything humanly possible to get that kid in an Arkansas uniform.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

elksnort

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 11:35:39 am
It's taken Anderson a little while to get the in-state recruiting going - getting Fitz Hill and Bill Ingram on board appears to have helped tremendously.
It's not like Anderson's years with Nolan helped him, that was probably an obstacle to overcome and it looks like he has.
I sure don't blame Anderson for Monk - I think he did everything humanly possible to get that kid in an Arkansas uniform.
I am sure CMA tried to get Allen and Monk to the hill. But you can lead a horse to water but not necessarily make it drink

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2016, 11:28:18 am
Yes, we should start seeing the NCAA tournament most seasons soon. Hopefully starting this season. I think the team is talented enough to get a bid.
Yeah...this team, without injury, has the talent most definitely. All the JUCO's have talent and you can see that right away. Even the lowly recruited freshman have potential...lots of potential. Right now our biggest problem IMO is finding the right lineups and sub patterns and that's a good problem to have. We could make 3 or 4 legit lineups that I would feel confident in starting or coming off the bench. That is awesome. Hopefully we can get it figured out. I LOVED the way our D played the last 10 minutes of last nights game. We stopped pressing and running and jumping at shooters. Instead we got low, stayed in position with arms out and good footwork and most importantly we were communicating. If we can play like that then we are a NCAAt team.

k.c.hawg

That is like me imagining my bedroom without my high school girl friend that ended up marrying a coke dealer that showered her with exotic trips, sports cars and money that I didn't have. I don't imagine it. They have a stench about them, it would be like wanting a landfill in your neighborhood. I'm sure they are good kids they just stink. I imagine the hill with kids that want to play there.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

elksnort

Quote from: Danny J on December 07, 2016, 03:42:26 pm
Yeah...this team, without injury, has the talent most definitely. All the JUCO's have talent and you can see that right away. Even the lowly recruited freshman have potential...lots of potential. Right now our biggest problem IMO is finding the right lineups and sub patterns and that's a good problem to have. We could make 3 or 4 legit lineups that I would feel confident in starting or coming off the bench. That is awesome. Hopefully we can get it figured out. I LOVED the way our D played the last 10 minutes of last nights game. We stopped pressing and running and jumping at shooters. Instead we got low, stayed in position with arms out and good footwork and most importantly we were communicating. If we can play like that then we are a NCAAt team.
the only thing I didn't like about the defense was particularly in the last two minutes. When you have a 10. Liter cell simply just don't Foul Play Matador defense

elksnort

10 point lead
Few minutes left
Dont foul!!!

phadedhawg

jackflash

Both had their chance to be on the hill, chose not too so its over

elksnort

hawgfan4life

I would rather imagine AR beating the hell out of their teams like every other team and not worry about players that chose to go there.  Like jackflash said, "they had their chance to be on the hill..."

MountieDawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 11:35:39 am

So is State Wide Bill just like a World Wide Wes...  AAU guy funneling guys to a program???
SEC!

hoglady

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 07:55:47 pm
So is State Wide Bill just like a World Wide Wes...  AAU guy funneling guys to a program???

Ingram as far as I know is a good guy, I've been around him a few times and he seems to care about the kids. I have friends who know him well and they don't have a negative word to say. If you've ever listened to him on the radio he's a vocal Hog fan and likes Anderson. I would be surprised if he pressures any kid to go somewhere they don't want to go.

Nolan did not have a good relationship with any of the AAU programs in the state. You've got to have that to get in state talent. Just like a football coach had better have good relationships with the high school coaches.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

MountieDawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 08:04:10 pm
Ingram as far as I know is a good guy, I've been around him a few times and he seems to care about the kids. I have friends who know him well and they don't have a negative word to say. If you've ever listened to him on the radio he's a vocal Hog fan and likes Anderson. I would be surprised if he pressures any kid to go somewhere they don't want to go.

Nolan did not have a good relationship with any of the AAU programs in the state. You've got to have that to get in state talent. Just like a football coach had better have good relationships with the high school coaches.

Kids love World Wide Wes too!  I am not saying anything bad about Bill, just find it ironic.  I bet he would like to be called Statewide.  I know he was mad when he thought Marcus Monk was trying to put an event on in his state. I am glad Bill and Fitz are doing MA$s recruiting for him... he was struggling finding someone who could.
SEC!

PorkRinds

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

hoglady

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 08:20:42 pm
Kids love World Wide Wes too!  I am not saying anything bad about Bill, just find it ironic.  I bet he would like to be called Statewide.  I know he was mad when he thought Marcus Monk was trying to put an event on in his state. I am glad Bill and Fitz are doing MA$s recruiting for him... he was struggling finding someone who could.

There's not an AAU coach in the country that doesn't have some influence over his kids, just the same as high school coaches do.
You think they are all dirty?

MountieDawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 07, 2016, 10:17:09 pm
There's not an AAU coach in the country that doesn't have some influence over his kids, just the same as high school coaches do.
You think they are all dirty?

Personally I think the AAU system is not good for basketball in general.  I am sure there are good guys out there, but one AAU guy influencing players and another guy influencing players are the same. What most AAU guys are looking for is the Nike, Under Armour, Adidas money and letting those guys influence what they do.  The Wings are a Nike team.
SEC!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 08:20:42 pm

I don't recall ever hearing or reading that Bill Ingram and Fitz Hill "are doing CMA's recruiting for him". Do you have proof of this because I am pretty certain that CMA, along with his staff (esp. Scotty Thurman), are responsible for recruiting.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MountieDawg

Quote from: Little Lady Back on December 08, 2016, 08:01:47 am
I don't recall ever hearing or reading that Bill Ingram and Fitz Hill "are doing CMA's recruiting for him". Do you have proof of this because I am pretty certain that CMA, along with his staff (esp. Scotty Thurman), are responsible for recruiting.

My source is you on the 16th post on this thread, where you said MA was struggling recruiting in the state, but getting Fitz and Bill Ingram on board was helping.  If you suffer from dementia, I apologize.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 07:55:47 pm

Maybe Arkansas kids just want to stay home and be Razorbacks for a change? Maybe Arkansas kids that have grown up playing AAU ball for years with each other wanted to play together?

It's a stretch to call a bunch of Arkansas kids committing to Arkansas funneling when there is evidence elsewhere that recruiting is just picking up in general. Hall, Garland and Gafford were not Arkansas Hawks.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 08, 2016, 08:53:50 am
Maybe Arkansas kids just want to stay home and be Razorbacks for a change? Maybe Arkansas kids that have grown up playing AAU ball for years with each other wanted to play together?

It's a stretch to call a bunch of Arkansas kids committing to Arkansas funneling when there is evidence elsewhere that recruiting is just picking up in general. Hall, Garland and Gafford were not Arkansas Hawks.

Just having a little fun with HogLady... AAU is what it is and is not going away.  Even if they were funneling it's one of the few thinks left the NCAA has no control over. Everyone is influenced by someone or something.  If no one at any school is paying the AAU team it's not cheating.  Nike, Adidas and Under Armour our the big culprits hoping the kids go to one of their schools and if they are great, they are in line for a shoe deal.
SEC!

onebadrubi

Quote from: jackflash on December 07, 2016, 04:30:43 pm
Both had their chance to be on the hill, chose not too so its over

Actually I'm not sure Allen had a real chance. I believe there is some real bad blood between Anderson and the Allen handlers.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 08, 2016, 08:51:18 am
My source is you on the 16th post on this thread, where you said MA was struggling recruiting in the state, but getting Fitz and Bill Ingram on board was helping.  If you suffer from dementia, I apologize.

::)
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Little Lady Back

No dementia here. You may want to check the name on that 16th post again. Get your facts straight.
[/quote]
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Little Lady Back

Quote from: Little Lady Back on December 08, 2016, 09:05:29 am
No dementia here. You may want to check the name on that 16th post again. Get your facts straight.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: elksnort on December 06, 2016, 10:14:51 pm
When Arkansas high school football talent it's hard to build a football team. There's enough basketball talent in  this state to build a great basketball team at Arkansas

They would have replaced somebody already on the roster.

Even after a good game against Duke, KeVaughn Allen has an offensive rating of 109.2, sixth-best on his team and wholly unremarkable. His O rating last season was 112.0. He made 31% of his threes last year, 33% this year, and doesn't seem to know when to stop shooting them.

Allen's proclivity for flinging bad threes would have won him a seat on MA's bench. His athletic ability would have made him a valuable addition as a defensive guard. Definitely could have used him.

Malik Monk's offensive rating is 119.5, which ranks seventh on his team. All of his shooting percentages are good to great, but that's hard to interpret because almost everybody on the UK roster is making huge %'s. Monk's 2-pt % is 58%, but he has three teammates shooting 64-76%.

The glaring thing about Monk is that he does not contribute much in stats beyond shooting. He is a very unphysical player, draws few fouls and doesn't punish anyone on defense. Monk is heavier than De'Aaron Fox and Mychal Mulder, but he doesn't play like it.

Monk is a higher-volume version of Dusty Hannahs (125.5 offensive rating). Monk is spectacular with his high-flying stuff, but Hannahs does a much better job of getting fouled and getting to the line. Monk is going to give you 6-10 baskets a game with a couple of FTs. Hannahs is going to give you 4-7 baskets and 4-5 free throws. Both seem capable of scoring against all levels of competition.

On a team like Arkansas, Monk might have had the chance to score 25-30 points a game instead of 19. Hannahs has averaged 16 ppg pretty consistently, and that's probably his level.
[CENSORED]!

elksnort

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 08, 2016, 05:24:32 am
Personally I think the AAU system is not good for basketball in general.  I am sure there are good guys out there, but one AAU guy influencing players and another guy influencing players are the same. What most AAU guys are looking for is the Nike, Under Armour, Adidas money and letting those guys influence what they do.  The Wings are a Nike team.
I have heard that what you are saying is very accurate.

311Hog

I honestly wouldn't trade anyone from our roster for Allen, but maybe for Monk.  Though this is a hypothetical i don't think Monk's ego would have fit with the program/other players and the fact he is a for sure 1 and done wouldn't have helped us really IMHO.

I like this team's make up i just hope they turn the corner.

hoglady

I'm the one who said that, not her.
When Fitz Hill's son committed to the Hogs Fitz said he would work to help get kids up to Fayetteville.
Ingram's starting 5 off one of his Hawks teams have all committed to the Hogs.
Thus the reason I stated what I did.
When Nolan was here his relationship was pretty bad with the AAU coaches and some of the Central AR high school coaches (specifically Parkview). Mike's appears to be better.
There's nothing wrong with developing good relationships - Nolan got very few players in Central AR because of poor relationships.

MountieDawg

Quote from: Little Lady Back on December 08, 2016, 09:08:24 am
Quote from: Little Lady Back on December 08, 2016, 09:05:29 am

I apologize Little Lady Back... Not used to 2 women on the same short thread!!!  I will humbly admit to being wrong!!! My dementia is acting up!!!!
SEC!

MountieDawg

Quote from: hoglady on December 08, 2016, 11:18:01 am
I'm the one who said that, not her.
When Fitz Hill's son committed to the Hogs Fitz said he would work to help get kids up to Fayetteville.
Ingram's starting 5 off one of his Hawks teams have all committed to the Hogs.
Thus the reason I stated what I did.
When Nolan was here his relationship was pretty bad with the AAU coaches and some of the Central AR high school coaches (specifically Parkview). Mike's appears to be better.
There's nothing wrong with developing good relationships - Nolan got very few players in Central AR because of poor relationships.

HOGLADY!!! Is there anything with building relationships through WORLD WIDE WES?
SEC!

Little Lady Back

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 08, 2016, 03:09:49 pm
I apologize Little Lady Back... Not used to 2 women on the same short thread!!!  I will humbly admit to being wrong!!! My dementia is acting up!!!!

Never a good idea to piss two women off in the same thread, but apology accepted.  ;)
#NolanRichardsonCourt

MountieDawg

Quote from: Little Lady Back on December 08, 2016, 03:24:37 pm
Never a good idea to piss two women off in the same thread, but apology accepted.  ;)

😀
SEC!

hogman99

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 07, 2016, 08:32:44 am

Agree, and Coach Dale was a great coach.