Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Now THAT is what I Expect to See out of Razorback Basketball!

Started by WilsonHog, December 06, 2016, 08:57:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Swinesong1 on December 08, 2016, 07:45:39 am
There's always that one who loves to turn an amiacable conversation into nastiness.  First of all, the question wasn't addressed to you.  Secondly, why pay the football staff an ungodly amount of money if you don't expect them to be any better than .500 in SEC play?  Lastly, I think it's ignorant and dumb of you to compare a football program that has zero success to AR.  But, live in your enlightened fantasy world.  Good day.
There was nothing 'nasty' about it. Just making salient points about trying to compare apples to pears to kumquats to bananas.

There's nothing wrong with using someone else as an example. I tried to take our team, Arkansas, out of the equation and use Kansas as an example to take some of the emotion out of it. Kansas football and Arkansas football do not have to be exactly the same level for the point to be valid. That point being, you shouldn't have the same level of expectation for each sport. I could have also used Kentucky as an example: another perennial basketball power who tends to struggle in football.

To your other point, I tend to agree somewhat, I guess. My take: some have said Bielema is Nutt 2.0 . (I tend to agree; I expected a return to Nutt level of success, or similar) Well, Nutt was making $1.4mm his last year. This coach won 10 games once, 9 games twice, 7 and 8 several times, had Cotton Bowl, Citrus Bowl, etc. Petrino came in for double the salary at $2.8mm. My thought at the time was 'what is he going to do, double the number of wins?'. Well, I had to bite my tongue because Petrino took the program to another level, no question. Then Bielema came in and he's up to $4mm per year. But really we're going back to Nutt levels of success, most likely. Which isn't bad at all, don't get me wrong, but is it worth $4mm versus $1.4mm?
I think the answer to most of this is that there's just so much money in the game today, from SEC Network, etc. The great coaches can make $7mm and the ok coaches can still make $3-4mm. It's kinda like the NBA market today, where journeymen are making ungodly amounts of money. So I would say due to the amounts of cash in the football market today, no matter who's here they're going to make a lot of dough. Even Vanderbilt's coach is probably making $2.5 - $3mm, I bet.
But regardless of what the Ark coach is being paid, that's a result of the market, and doesn't change the dynamics and challenges of the job whatsoever. He's still going to struggle to keep up with the elite programs in the conference.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zuko on December 08, 2016, 01:57:56 pm
I go with Wilson. You know, I will never give up that I believe Nolan Richardson engineered the firing of John Plelphry  and bring in Mike Anderson and so far, it's been a flop. Pelphry never got to finish his 5 years and after dealing the first two years with misfits problems, he was junked. They have let Anderson go a lot lot further than Pelphry and right now it still stinks. Sure they are 6 or 7 and 0 but that is by design  to inflate the egos of the players. Sooner or later they will have to play in their own  league and then we will see what they have. Right now, you have the lamenting about the guy/s that got away and  their is a good reason for that and that is winners don't want to play for losers and right now Mike Anderson is a loser. Still espousing that 40 minutes of Hell, well then with that team that NR had was a once in a lifetime event for a coach and Nolan didn't follow through with the recruiting advantage that team produced. That is when the process should have continued, but Nolan couldn't  produce in recruitment. We have coaching problems and we have to find the right guy/s and right now, we don't have them. The biggest problem that I see when they hire a new coach is that too much emphasis has been accepted on behalf of what happened in the past and for whatever reason, when a new guy comes in and tries to apply his stuff, he bombs. Mike Anderson left a successful program at Missouri, so why did he leave? Because Nolan got him to come to Arkanas.  Bielema had a successful past at Wisconsin, so why did he leave? He says to get more money for him and his assistants well he did and all of his assistants that came with him are gone, so why did they leave. Answer;  they cannot apply their past methods to their new teams. Suggestion:   Leave
Still waiting for someone to offer some evidence that Nolan 'engineered' the firing of Pelphrey.
How exactly did he do that?

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 08, 2016, 11:18:31 pm
Still waiting for someone to offer some evidence that Nolan 'engineered' the firing of Pelphrey.
How exactly did he do that?

We will probably be waiting forever for any evidence/explanation on this...
#NolanRichardsonCourt