Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barford

Started by sshawg, December 06, 2016, 08:39:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sshawg

Just caught parts of the game but never did see Barford.  Did he get hurt ?

Danny J

He played but Beard played a lot better

rude1

Barford is becoming a turnover machine. He really seems to be struggling with his decision making right now.

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on December 06, 2016, 08:47:34 pm
Barford is becoming a turnover machine. He really seems to be struggling with his decision making right now.
Yeah...looks like a guy used to making plays on his own trying to figure out how to play with players equally as good. He has the talent no question and will figure it out.

hobhog

I watched him a lot tonight. He sure stands around a lot if doesnt have the ball....

Had a few turnovers early. Just an off game maybe.

Letsroll1200

Had  a bad game tonight on offense. Anton was just playing better on offense and defense.

WilsonHog

That's one thing about this team; if one player isn't getting it done that night, there are plenty of others to turn to.

swinesation

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 06, 2016, 09:12:44 pm
That's one thing about this team; if one player isn't getting it done that night, there are plenty of others to turn to.

Yes, really good depth at guard.

HoopS

Had a couple walks that used to not be called. Refs specifically are tightening on walks. He will adjust. Think he's still in that juco adjusting phase. You can see some good things. It was the right call late having others in though.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Big key to our success is barford playing like he can.

hawgmasta

Quote from: swinesation on December 06, 2016, 09:18:59 pm
Yes, really good depth at guard.

Aren't those always Mike's best teams? Good guard play, a solid big and aggressive athletic wings?  I guess with those three though it's a good team whoever coaches it.

Danny J

Quote from: hawgmasta on December 06, 2016, 10:06:40 pm
Aren't those always Mike's best teams? Good guard play, a solid big and aggressive athletic wings?  I guess with those three though it's a good team whoever coaches it.
Yeah...I think we are #2 in the country in transition points. Even our secondary transition is pretty good. Its our D that worries me at times. I will say though as the game wore on tonight our guys played very good fundamental basketball when closing out on shooters. This team is starting to come together lets hope they continue to improve on D. I think we will once again be close to tops as far as scoring in the league.

ballinhog

If we could get Barford and Macon playing good at the same time we can be very dangerous. It seems when one plays good the other has an off night

HognitiveDissonance

He'll get better, more consistent.
But he's the prototypical juco. It's Year 2 to look for...not Year 1.

What chagrins me the most is the way some were selling these juco guys last year...'wait till next year', 'help is on the way'...which is true in a sense, they're good players, but 1)they're jucos and jucos mostly follow the same pattern 2)there's a reason they're in a juco 3)the #1 juco player is not comparable to the #1 high school player, talent wise. Not even close.

And get this...not only do some fans get carried away, but I actually had someone close to the program tell me they felt good about Monk, but if they didn't get him, it would be alright, because they got Barford. Same sentiment expressed by some fans when Monk left. As if Barford for Monk was a fair trade!

98hogs

Screw Monk.  May he never return to the state.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 06, 2016, 11:18:26 pm

What chagrins me the most is the way some were selling these juco guys last year...'wait till next year', 'help is on the way'...which is true in a sense, they're good players, but 1)they're jucos and jucos mostly follow the same pattern 2)there's a reason they're in a juco 3)the #1 juco player is not comparable to the #1 high school player, talent wise. Not even close.

And get this...not only do some fans get carried away, but I actually had someone close to the program tell me they felt good about Monk, but if they didn't get him, it would be alright, because they got Barford. Same sentiment expressed by some fans when Monk left. As if Barford for Monk was a fair trade!

Going into last nights game he was averaging 11.6 shooting 50% and 37% from 3 in only 24mins per game.

Far from your average Juco.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on December 07, 2016, 06:44:18 am
Going into last nights game he was averaging 11.6 shooting 50% and 37% from 3 in only 24mins per game.

Far from your average Juco.

Nice stats and I agree not average.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

lstewart

Barford is a talented player, but he probably has not adjusted as quickly to this level of competition and officiating as Macon. Seems like Barford makes some mistakes trying to create something out of difficult situations more than is necessary. He'll either adjust or see his playing time reduced. A pretty deep rotation of guards who can play on this team.

HawgHeadCheese

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 06, 2016, 11:18:26 pm

Monk is one and done. Barford will be here for another season. That trade might be better for us than you think. I honestly don't think having Monk on this team would erase our one loss . I have no problem with our current guard play and if it's anybody I think we missed that hurt it's Eric Curry. We could definitely use his production in the paint.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on December 07, 2016, 10:01:23 am
Monk is one and done. Barford will be here for another season. That trade might be better for us than you think. I honestly don't think having Monk on this team would erase our one loss . I have no problem with our current guard play and if it's anybody I think we missed that hurt it's Eric Curry. We could definitely use his production in the paint.
Some were debating in some threads 'what if Barford and/or Macon go pro after one year?'. Remember that?

I don't like one-and-dones either, but obviously I would have loved to have Monk for one year. He's a special talent and is lighting it up at UK.

Hawg Red

Barford and Macon are not having your traditional JUCO junior year adjustment. No disagreement they are still adjusting, but not like we've seen with players like Delvon Johnson and Jabril Durham. Arlando Cook is the one who seems to be having trouble adjusting. He was pretty non-existent last night after looking good vs Austin Peay.

Macon is further along than Barford, but you have to believe Barford will get there.

Big Nasty 34

The problem with Barford, and the team as a whole, is playing consistently to their potential. Last night was an off game for him, it happens. He and Macon are both adjusting to the speed of the game a bit. We've had several lackadaisical passes that have been picked off because I am sure they were easy completions in JUCO Ball.

Like an above poster said, we have guard depth. There will rarely if ever be a game where all 6 guards are on their A game. It is Mikes job to find the 2-4 who are playing well and let them get the majority of minutes.

Just have to keep putting everything together. A good tune-up game Saturday and then a break to prepare for Texas and the SEC schedule.