Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6678 paid attendance

Started by Mr. Porkleone, December 06, 2016, 07:40:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

majestic

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 06, 2016, 08:20:52 pm
6600 in a 19200 seat arenea is pathic. How can you call that solid.  It's oblivious people don't care anymore about BB
Talk about oblivious.... that's about the only word you spelled correctly :)
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

ballhogger

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 06, 2016, 07:40:18 pm
Wow, good opponent and no one shows up

When it is on TV no one is going to show up in the mid week.  That is a downfall of so many games being broadcast these days.  That is a fact.

HotlantaHog

It is going to take several years of solid teams -- NCAA teams -- for Bud Walton to get a big crowd on a Tuesday night at a 6 p.m. game versus a team no one is familiar with.

razorhead94

"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

ricepig

Quote from: HotlantaHog on December 07, 2016, 09:25:34 am
It is going to take several years of solid teams -- NCAA teams -- for Bud Walton to get a big crowd on a Tuesday night at a 6 p.m. game versus a team no one is familiar with.

Houston wouldn't be an unfamiliar team, but yes to the other points.

MountieDawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 09:33:59 am
Houston wouldn't be an unfamiliar team, but yes to the other points.

Houston has been to 1 NCAAT in 23 years and doesn't plat in a P5 conference... so probably unfamiliar to anyone under 30.
SEC!

ricepig

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 09:39:14 am
Houston has been to 1 NCAAT in 23 years and doesn't plat in a P5 conference... so probably unfamiliar to anyone under 30.

Nah, their football team gets their name out recently, it's cumulative.

poloprince

I'm sure that was actual attendance and the paid attendance was still around 13k. Once Nolan was out they should've reduced BWA capacity by at least 4-5 thousand immediately after because the days of filling BWA like Ark is an elite program has been over.
$PoLoPrInCe$

MountieDawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 09:40:18 am
Nah, their football team gets their name out recently, it's cumulative.

Kansas basketball is prettY good, but does that draw fans to their football games???
SEC!

Atlhogfan1

This was the most attractive home opponent on the non conf schedule.  The only one with a remote chance of an at large NCAAT spot. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 09:39:14 am

The litmus test is whether you know who Otis Birdsong was.  If you do, playing Houston exites you.  If not, they're just another OOC team.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

hogsanity

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 06, 2016, 09:42:47 pm
$25 is a lot of money to go watch a non-con game in December. It's not about what kind of fan I am, it's about the fact that that's a lot of money. I know you can get cheaper tickets on certain sites, but the U of A can't complain about attendance when they're price-gouging to their own detriment.

supposedly almost 13K season tickets were sold. It is not lack of ticket sales, it is that people only want to go to a very few games, but they want their good seats so they go ahead and buy the season tickets. You can get tickets for $6 on line, so price really is not an issue. But 6pm on a weeknight is an issue. Only 1 NCAAT appearance in however many seasons it has been is an issue. All games being on tv/web is an issue. Dec is an issue ( lots of school events for kids which tis up parents/grandparents too. Tues is also HS basketball night.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: majestic on December 07, 2016, 08:44:46 am
Talk about oblivious.... that's about the only word you spelled correctly :)
That's like the classic Mike Tyson quote that he was going to knock some guy '...into Bolivian'.

AirWarren

Quote from: hobhog on December 06, 2016, 08:09:28 pm
NWA carpetbaggers don't care, and students rather watch on TV...

This.

Students are too busy "instagramming and tweeting" to get out and socialize with real humans.

razorhead94

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2016, 09:55:21 am
supposedly almost 13K season tickets were sold. It is not lack of ticket sales, it is that people only want to go to a very few games, but they want their good seats so they go ahead and buy the season tickets. You can get tickets for $6 on line, so price really is not an issue. But 6pm on a weeknight is an issue. Only 1 NCAAT appearance in however many seasons it has been is an issue. All games being on tv/web is an issue. Dec is an issue ( lots of school events for kids which tis up parents/grandparents too. Tues is also HS basketball night.

This

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 07, 2016, 09:45:44 am
The litmus test is whether you know who Otis Birdsong was.  If you do, playing Houston exites you.  If not, they're just another OOC team.
I do. He played in the Triplets days. Wore #44 I believe.

I also can still tell you every key contributor on the great Houston Jama teams. Akeem Olajuwon(didn't become Hakeem until later), Clyde Drexler, Larry Micheaux, Michael Young, Rob Franklin, Benny Anders, Reid Gettys. Saw this question on Sports Jeopardy recently, name the power forward on Phi Slama Jama, it was Micheaux, which I knew. Wish I could get on that show, I can do as well as most of those guys.

I also remember seeing Olajuwon play as a true freshman. Very raw, but obviously he had the talent and he developed!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 07, 2016, 09:59:58 am
I do. He played in the Triplets days. Wore #44 I believe.

I also can still tell you every key contributor on the great Houston Jama teams. Akeem Olajuwon(didn't become Hakeem until later), Clyde Drexler, Larry Micheaux, Michael Young, Rob Franklin, Benny Anders, Reid Gettys. Saw this question on Sports Jeopardy recently, name the power forward on Phi Slama Jama, it was Micheaux, which I knew. Wish I could get on that show, I can do as well as most of those guys.

I also remember seeing Olajuwon play as a true freshman. Very raw, but obviously he had the talent and he developed!

The 30in30 is good.  Told the Olajuwon story we already knew.  Hogs are of course in it a little. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: East Clintwood on December 06, 2016, 11:34:40 pm
It's out.  I watched it a couple of weeks ago.  It's as much about Benny Anders as Phi Slama Jama.
There was an SI 'where are they now?' piece on Benny Anders recently. Seems the gyst of the article was the great quest the writer went to just to locate him, much less interview him. Seems Benny is a mystery man these days and doesn't really want to be found.

Anders is also the subject of a great Hog recruiting story. Seems the Hogs had him locked up out of a small school in north Louisiana, but a wild tale of someone swooping in late with a bag of money lured him away.

Hamstein

Troll??

What part of my statement is trolling??  The crowds have been disappointing so far this year. In my opinion the Hogs are gonna have to go undefeated at home, and hopefully steal a couple on the road to have a chance at the tournament.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 07, 2016, 09:45:44 am
If a random person came up to me and asked if I knew who Otis Birdsong, I'd assume they were talking about a country singer.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

ricepig

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 09:44:24 am
Kansas basketball is prettY good, but does that draw fans to their football games???
Which has nothing to do with our opponent last night. Are you saying that our fans are more knowledgeable of Mt. Saint Mary's than the University of Houston?

WMHawgfan

Rising price of tickets coupled with the fact you can now watch every game on TV or internet is a big driver in this. Back when we used to fill up BWA you didn't have those options. For most games you either went or listened on the radio.

Why pay 25$ when you can watch every game for free? When we play better caliber opponents in conference play the crowds will be there. They just aren't going to pay to see them play subpar opponents. Having said that I would have thought Houston would have drawn better. They are a pretty solid team.

hobhog

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 07, 2016, 11:29:51 am
Rising price of tickets coupled with the fact you can now watch every game on TV or internet is a big driver in this. Back when we used to fill up BWA you didn't have those options. For most games you either went or listened on the radio.

Why pay 25$ when you can watch every game for free? When we play better caliber opponents in conference play the crowds will be there. They just aren't going to pay to see them play subpar opponents. Having said that I would have thought Houston would have drawn better. They are a pretty solid team.

Why watch a live play when you can watch a movie? Why watch a concert live when you can watch a DVD?

Because it's better.

WMHawgfan

Quote from: hobhog on December 07, 2016, 11:32:36 am
Why watch a live play when you can watch a movie? Why watch a concert live when you can watch a DVD?

Because it's better.
That is subjective though.

if you had 20 plays coming to town and all of them were also televised would you go to all 20 or pick the ones you wanted to see the most and go to those?

Do you go to the theater to see every movie you want to watch or do you say on some of those that you will wait and catch it television?

MountieDawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 11:29:49 am
Which has nothing to do with our opponent last night. Are you saying that our fans are more knowledgeable of Mt. Saint Mary's than the University of Houston?

No, I am saying neither will excite them about the recent basketball success... If you bring in teams with a NCAA history fans will show up.  Kentucky packs the areana, Kansas would pack the arean, Duke, N Carolina, Butler, Indiana, Arizona, UCLA.  If you arent going to schedule 1 or 2 of those a year... At least schedule Memphis, any of the Arkansas schools something that would build a little curiosity and maybe animosity... I love college basketball, but if I can watch Arkansas vs Mt St Marys live or Duke vs Kansas on TV.... I choose TV everytime.  I went to the ASU vs Arkansas NIT game almost 30 years ago and that was one of Nolan's first teams and fans were not happy with the team.  But the place was packed for that game!!!
SEC!

WMHawgfan

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 12:31:07 pm
No, I am saying neither will excite them about the recent basketball success... If you bring in teams with a NCAA history fans will show up.  Kentucky packs the areana, Kansas would pack the arean, Duke, N Carolina, Butler, Indiana, Arizona, UCLA.  If you arent going to schedule 1 or 2 of those a year... At least schedule Memphis, any of the Arkansas schools something that would build a little curiosity and maybe animosity... I love college basketball, but if I can watch Arkansas vs Mt St Marys live or Duke vs Kansas on TV.... I choose TV everytime.  I went to the ASU vs Arkansas NIT game almost 30 years ago and that was one of Nolan's first teams and fans were not happy with the team.  But the place was packed for that game!!!
I remember that game. it was almost the end of Nolan before he got it rolling.

simon the squealot

We have a marvelous arena with incredible acoustics and up-to-date amenities. it's 20+ years old but has been well-taken care of. Even with 10-12,000 fans, it's the loudest venue in the league. What's missing is the atmosphere. It's very tired. We have a student body that is still holding up the 'Nice Hair' signs from the early 90s; the band still plays songs from the basketball heyday and the cheers are old as well. The atmosphere is in dire need of new life and originality.

Someone in athletic admin needs to research this issue and restore the glory when Razorback basketball was an event rather than a game. A better team is the obvious answer but a better crowd makes any team better.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 12:31:07 pm
At least schedule Memphis, any of the Arkansas schools something that would build a little curiosity and maybe animosity...

Memphis won't play us.  They don't want to help UofA by giving it exposure in the talent-rich Memphis area that we used to raid (quite successfully) in the 80s and 90s.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

MountieDawg

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 07, 2016, 12:47:07 pm
I remember that game. it was almost the end of Nolan before he got it rolling.

I would bet if he lost that game, he was done...
SEC!

sadhogfan

Quote from: razorhead94 on December 07, 2016, 09:30:11 am
Paid attendance was 13,455

Yes, thanks for posting this, as the original thread title was incorrect.

Paid Attendance=the number of seats that were paid for. At 13,000+, this is an excellent number in today's college basketball climate. This is also the number that gets coaches fired if it gets too low.

Actual Attendance=the number of people in the building. This is the number that affects atmosphere that, as a fan base, we need to work on. Still, 6,600+ on a Tuesday in December is a pretty good crowd for the current situation in college basketball. But it's not where we want it to be.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 08:22:58 am
Yes, over 13,000 sold.

Where does this info come from? You've also got quite a handle on ticket sales up the hill at DWRRS (on a side note I think its illegal to sell a seat to two people but according to you our athletic department makes a habit of it). I make my donations and pay for my tickets but I don't get a mailer on ticket sales?

Hogusta National

Quote from: daprospecta on December 06, 2016, 08:20:53 pm
What I find funny is fans won't get off there butts and spend 25$ to watch our promising basketball team play but they will sellout 70,000+ the game after we were blown out 56-3 in historic fashion.  Go figure.

I would be one of those.  Now, I was at the game last night.  Ticket off of Stubhub for $8.64.  I would NOT pay $20+ to watch this team.  I had season tics for most of the 2000's and up through Bobby Portis final season.  I'm not a fan of this style of play and do not think that 1) it works now, or 2) will ever work again.  I will go to the occasional game as the game warrants.

Now to the football part of your "comment".  I believe more in what that coach is doing.  Would I mind if he adapted a little bit (like Saban has done).  No, I would love it actually.  Was I happy getting blown out in most games.  Absolutely not.  But I was less happy with blowing a lead to Missery.  We need players though and I can see us getting better there.

But in year six of Hog Basketball with Mike, I don't see any improvement and only one tourney bid.

Not calling for any heads here, but I see better success with football right now - and none in basket ball.

hogsanity

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 07, 2016, 01:47:55 pm
Where does this info come from? You've also got quite a handle on ticket sales up the hill at DWRRS (on a side note I think its illegal to sell a seat to two people but according to you our athletic department makes a habit of it). I make my donations and pay for my tickets but I don't get a mailer on ticket sales?

# of season tickets sold plus any walkup sales. Pretty easy info to find.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 07, 2016, 01:47:55 pm

Maybe you should give some more and you'd get that info. And I told you how you get an attendance larger than tickets sold and capacity, but I can't help it if you can't comprehend what you read.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2016, 02:08:03 pm

Also included in attendance is, the players, coaches, ushers, ticket takers, concession workers, and janitors, lol. It's been done that way at sporting events for years.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 02:12:37 pm
Also included in attendance is, the players, coaches, ushers, ticket takers, concession workers, and janitors, lol. It's been done that way at sporting events for years.

Point being? Our actual attendance is pretty weak, which is a result of the team being pretty weak for going on 2 decades.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: razorhead94 on December 07, 2016, 09:30:11 am
Paid attendance was 13,455

Rick Schaefer quote of the day full of sunshine pumping typical homer speak

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hogusta National on December 07, 2016, 02:04:58 pm
I would be one of those.  Now, I was at the game last night.  Ticket off of Stubhub for $8.64.  I would NOT pay $20+ to watch this team.  I had season tics for most of the 2000's and up through Bobby Portis final season.  I'm not a fan of this style of play and do not think that 1) it works now, or 2) will ever work again.  I will go to the occasional game as the game warrants.

Now to the football part of your "comment".  I believe more in what that coach is doing.  Would I mind if he adapted a little bit (like Saban has done).  No, I would love it actually.  Was I happy getting blown out in most games.  Absolutely not.  But I was less happy with blowing a lead to Missery.  We need players though and I can see us getting better there.

But in year six of Hog Basketball with Mike, I don't see any improvement and only one tourney bid.

Not calling for any heads here, but I see better success with football right now - and none in basket ball.
Oh lort!

razoredge178

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2016, 02:08:03 pm

where do you find the # of season tickets sold?

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 02:12:37 pm

So on the one hand you agree that the attendance numbers the UofA put out are full of fluff, but on the other hand you like to dig your heels in the sand advocating about how strong our ticket sales are. MMKK. It all smells like fluff to me. The attendance vs. ticket sales argument is a tired one. I'll bend over and kiss my own rear-end when I see that over 13K season passes were sold prior to this season. However, I completely believe the UofA is baking up its numbers in anticipation that folks like you will feel all warm and fuzzy about it.

razorhead94

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 07, 2016, 02:22:44 pm
Rick Schaefer quote of the day full of sunshine pumping typical homer speak

Not sunshine pumping at all.  Just simply stating a fact.  Is the actual attendance bad?  Yes

k.c.hawg

There were plenty of tickets in the lower level for $7 - $8. That was a very good game and a good value. Wish I lived close enough to go watch this team regularly. I think it could be very rewarding for those that do to see the growth of this team, this year.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

razoredge178

Quote from: k.c.hawg on December 07, 2016, 02:50:57 pm
There were plenty of tickets in the lower level for $7 - $8. That was a very good game and a good value. Wish I lived close enough to go watch this team regularly. I think it could be very rewarding for those that do to see the growth of this team, this year.

I'd like to get ricepig in on this point, as he is a polished resource on ticket sales, attendance, and fine dining.

ricepig, how is that so many lower level seats can be for sale out on the curb when our season ticket sales are so high? Would you have me to believe that Johnny TooGood the season ticket holder isn't going to the games, but is going down to BWA and standing outside to sell his tickets for a 1/3 of what he paid for them?

If we've got 13-14K seats sold, aren't most of them in the lower level? That's how its been explained to me. So where do all those $7 & $8 tickets come from? Hmmmmm. Work through that conundrum and get back with me would ya?

DLUXHOG

good grief..... they're 7-1............ (and should be ranked...)
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

k.c.hawg

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 07, 2016, 02:56:05 pm
I'd like to get ricepig in on this point, as he is a polished resource on ticket sales, attendance, and fine dining.

ricepig, how is that so many lower level seats can be for sale out on the curb when our season ticket sales are so high? Would you have me to believe that Johnny TooGood the season ticket holder isn't going to the games, but is going down to BWA and standing outside to sell his tickets for a 1/3 of what he paid for them?

If we've got 13-14K seats sold, aren't most of them in the lower level? That's how its been explained to me. So where do all those $7 & $8 tickets come from? Hmmmmm. Work through that conundrum and get back with me would ya?

There are a boatload of companies and people that buy season tickets that know they will only attend a few games. Many of my friends that are in business spend $30k, $40k, $50k every year for Royal's and Chief's club level tickets knowing they will not attend but one or 2 games. They usually sell them for a loss on Stub Hub when they don't go.........but it isn't really that much of a  loss once  they get a 41% write off on Fed and State taxes as an entertainment expense.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2016, 02:15:20 pm
Point being? Our actual attendance is pretty weak, which is a result of the team being pretty weak for going on 2 decades.

Point being, that is how attendance is figured these days. You can argue the merits all you want, I'm just telling you how they come up with the number these days. Also, tell me the schools that sell more than 13,000 basketball season tickets.

lstewart

I think the only tickets for sale outside the arena by fans are extras they have and don't need, and the scalper types who are getting tickets from those that don't need them and trying to sell them. I suspect most of the cheap tickets available being mentioned are for sale online, which would make sense for a season ticket holder who know they were not going to some games.

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 07, 2016, 02:56:05 pm

We don't have 14,000 season tickets sold, we have around 13,000. As far as who is selling the tickets on the curb, why don't you stop and ask them? Why don't you try to buy season tickets tomorrow and see where they put you.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 03:17:51 pm
Point being, that is how attendance is figured these days. You can argue the merits all you want, I'm just telling you how they come up with the number these days. Also, tell me the schools that sell more than 13,000 basketball season tickets.

Still haven't validated his source. I'd sincerely like to know.

Such a wealth of knowledge on this site! Sunshine and happy days!

daprospecta

Quote from: Hogusta National on December 07, 2016, 02:04:58 pm

In year 4, Mike lead our basketball team  to 27–9, 13–5 in SEC play which was good enough for second place in a division-less conference. We lost to UNC which was a sweet 16 team.  In year 4 for CBB, we have historic blowouts, a team that quit more than half the time and a defense that was just absolutely porous in most games.  But you just keeping on going off BELIEF versus actually looking at FACTS. Here is another fact for you, Mike Anderson actually has swept Kentucky(the Alabama in basketball in our conference) but we haven't even beaten A&M let alone Alabama in football.  Once again, just keep on believing and ignoring what's right in front of you.