Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

6678 paid attendance

Started by Mr. Porkleone, December 06, 2016, 07:40:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 02:10:38 pm
Maybe you should give some more and you'd get that info. And I told you how you get an attendance larger than tickets sold and capacity, but I can't help it if you can't comprehend what you read.

OH I figured it out! I take what you said, add it what else you said, and that totals what I read. Thanks!

Danny J

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2016, 02:15:20 pm
Point being? Our actual attendance is pretty weak, which is a result of the team being pretty weak for going on 2 decades.
That ^^^ is the biggest thing...get ranked and then actually do something in the NCAAt and watch that place be full to the rafters for games like Houston on a Tuesday at 6pm. Get to the final four and watch that place be full playing teams like North Florida on Monday at 6pm.

MountieDawg

For the game against the mighty North Florida Ospreys you can buy center court tickets on the 12th row for $15 on Stubhub....  You can probably move down to the front row after the 1st 4 minute time out...

I bet there is not a game this year that when you walked up to the game someone would not give you a ticket to come in...  I have been asked if I wanted tickets to both games I went to watch.
SEC!

jabber71

Is there a way to find the number of households that watched the game on TV? I looked, but not find any ratings numbers?

You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 07, 2016, 03:33:05 pm
Still haven't validated his source. I'd sincerely like to know.

Such a wealth of knowledge on this site! Sunshine and happy days!

It's actually 12,253 to date. You can call the athletic department, read the Nov. 18th ADG in which that number is stated, or stand at the door and count them the next busy night, I really don't care.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: simon the squealot on December 07, 2016, 01:13:43 pm
We have a marvelous arena with incredible acoustics and up-to-date amenities. it's 20+ years old but has been well-taken care of. Even with 10-12,000 fans, it's the loudest venue in the league. What's missing is the atmosphere. It's very tired. We have a student body that is still holding up the 'Nice Hair' signs from the early 90s; the band still plays songs from the basketball heyday and the cheers are old as well. The atmosphere is in dire need of new life and originality.

Someone in athletic admin needs to research this issue and restore the glory when Razorback basketball was an event rather than a game. A better team is the obvious answer but a better crowd makes any team better.
I've been to one game so far this year. The PA system was horrible. Is it better now? Have they fine-tuned it to where you actually understand what Johnny George is saying?
It just needed some adjustments. It didn't use to be like that.

Danny J

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 03:49:48 pm
or stand at the door and count them the next busy night
I think I will pay someone do that with the extra $100 I am going to have in my pocket by this time come mid January... ;)

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: daprospecta on December 07, 2016, 03:35:22 pm
In year 4, Mike lead our basketball team  to 27–9, 13–5 in SEC play which was good enough for second place in a division-less conference. We lost to UNC which was a sweet 16 team.  In year 4 for CBB, we have historic blowouts, a team that quit more than half the time and a defense that was just absolutely porous in most games.  But you just keeping on going off BELIEF versus actually looking at FACTS. Here is another fact for you, Mike Anderson actually has swept Kentucky(the Alabama in basketball in our conference) but we haven't even beaten A&M let alone Alabama in football.  Once again, just keep on believing and ignoring what's right in front of you.
I don't believe either coach is worth bragging about...for the reasons you gave about football, and for the reasons the OP gave about basketball.

Having said that, my expectations have always been higher for hoops because the numbers limitations aren't as severe in hoops. The gridiron coach can sign three 5-star recruits and he still needs 15 more to compete with the Alabamas. The hoops coach can sign three 5-star recruits and he may be competing for the Final 4.

It's simple math.

Atlhogfan1

Can't wait for the season when our football team is favored in 83% of our games like the 14-15 basketball team was.  We were only double digit underdogs in a third of our football games this season. 

So far this season, the Hogs basketball team has been favored by:
15 over IPFW - the new national powerhouse
17 over S Ill
12 over UTA
19 over SFA
23 over AP
5 over Houston
didn't see a line for MSM

4pt underdogs at Minnesota

Since we are reaching for comparisons.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

daprospecta

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 07, 2016, 04:08:17 pm
I don't believe either coach is worth bragging about...for the reasons you gave about football, and for the reasons the OP gave about basketball.

Having said that, my expectations have always been higher for hoops because the numbers limitations aren't as severe in hoops. The gridiron coach can sign three 5-star recruits and he still needs 15 more to compete with the Alabamas. The hoops coach can sign three 5-star recruits and he may be competing for the Final 4.

It's simple math.
To that same point, basketball has to compete with three times the amount of schools for those recruits. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: daprospecta on December 07, 2016, 04:24:10 pm
To that same point, basketball has to compete with three times the amount of schools for those recruits.

No it doesn't.  Unless we are chasing some recruit the low majors want.  The current staff is known for beating some bushes.  Would be great in football if we had AAU like entities in state that provided the majority of the players and we could be one of the more talented teams in the SEC with those players. 

Does the jealousy of football come from fan interest being higher for football?  Or from someone actually trying to put an expectation, any expectation, on the basketball program? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

poloprince

Quote from: Danny J on December 07, 2016, 03:38:16 pm
That ^^^ is the biggest thing...get ranked and then actually do something in the NCAAt and watch that place be full to the rafters for games like Houston on a Tuesday at 6pm. Get to the final four and watch that place be full playing teams like North Florida on Monday at 6pm.

Sounds fairweatherish
$PoLoPrInCe$

WilsonHog

December 07, 2016, 05:17:42 pm #112 Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 06:33:42 pm by WilsonHog
Anyone ever heard the term "new money" when referred to people? That's what I think about when I reflect on our attendance.

Barnhill probably attracted 8,000 to 9,000 pretty regularly. It wasn't always a packed house, but because the unfilled seats were usually in the rafters no one particularly noticed. BWA was literally built at the zenith of Razorback basketball, and there was a waiting list for season tickets. Why? Because it was the Arkansas version of Vegas, the hottest show in town that everyone who was anyone had to have a ticket to. "New money basketball fans," let's say.

Then the novelty, and the wins, dried up. People stopped coming. Hell, I stopped coming. I lived 330 miles away, but when BWA first opened I bought a six-game package and made almost all six every year. Why? I wanted to see "the show.'

Contrast basketball with football. You know why I believe people have kept coming to RRS in large numbers even in down seasons? Legacy. It's something their parents and grandparents did, passed down from generation to generation. Not so with "new money" basketball.

When will BWA consistently rock again? When it hosts 18 events a year that people do not want to miss, that they plan everything else around.

Swinesong1

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 07, 2016, 05:17:42 pm
Anyone ever heard the term "new money" when referred to people? That's what I think about when I reflect on our attendance.

Barnhill probably attracted 8,000 to 9,000 pretty regularly. It wasn't always a packed house, but because the unfilled seats were usually in the rafters no one particularly noticed. BWA was literally built at the zenith of Razorback basketball, and there was a waiting list for season tickets. Why? Because it was the Arkansas version of Vegas, the hottest show in town that everyone who was anyone had to have a ticket to. "New money basketball fans," let's say.

Then the novelty, and the wins, dried up. People stopped coming. Hell, I stopped coming. I lived 330 miles away, but when BWA first opened I bought a six-game package and made almost all six every year. Why? I wanted to see "the show.'

Contrast basketball with football. You know why I believe people have kept coming to RRS in large numbers even in down seasons? Legacy. It;s something their parents and grandparents did, passed down from generation to generation. Not so with "new money" basketball.

When will BWA consistently rock again? When it hosts 18 events a year that people do not want to miss, that they plan everything else around.
Wisdom being shared today!

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2016, 04:30:14 pm
No it doesn't.  Unless we are chasing some recruit the low majors want.  The current staff is known for beating some bushes.  Would be great in football if we had AAU like entities in state that provided the majority of the players and we could be one of the more talented teams in the SEC with those players. 

Does the jealousy of football come from fan interest being higher for football?  Or from someone actually trying to put an expectation, any expectation, on the basketball program? 
As a former fb razorback, my lean should be towards football.  I grew in the 90's watching and loving Razorback ATHLETICS.  I am glad that we have fans that support our football program even though we aren't a perennial power at the moment but I feel the expectation being put on football is not showing through fans wallet/time as it is with the basketball team.  I keep seeing, "Oh, if we beat [Insert Team], I'll get excited." On the reverse, fans showed up in droves this season no matter how our football program performed.  I can't tell anyone how to spend their money but don't try to justify it by our football program making progress vs our basketball doing the opposite.  We all know that is not true.

Swinesong1

Quote from: daprospecta on December 07, 2016, 06:22:22 pm
As a former fb razorback, my lean should be towards football.  I grew in the 90's watching and loving Razorback ATHLETICS.  I am glad that we have fans that support our football program even though we aren't a perennial power at the moment but I feel the expectation being put on football is not showing through fans wallet/time as it is with the basketball team.  I keep seeing, "Oh, if we beat [Insert Team], I'll get excited." On the reverse, fans showed up in droves this season no matter how our football program performed.  I can't tell anyone how to spend their money but don't try to justify it by our football program making progress vs our basketball doing the opposite.  We all know that is not true.
Well said

Atlhogfan1

Doesn't matter as football attention and interest isn't as dependent on it.  No need to justify.  This bothers you and a few others. 

ricepig

I doubt we would get a full stadium on a week night for a football game, especially when there are multiple ones, so it's not really comparable.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 03:39:37 pm
For the game against the mighty North Florida Ospreys you can buy center court tickets on the 12th row for $15 on Stubhub....  You can probably move down to the front row after the 1st 4 minute time out...

I bet there is not a game this year that when you walked up to the game someone would not give you a ticket to come in...  I have been asked if I wanted tickets to both games I went to watch.

For tomorrow night's game between Nicholls & Florida State you can get Row C mid court for $10.00. Row 12 at BWA at center court is actually 24 rows from the floor. First 12 rows are A-L. FWIW....but good seats nonetheless.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

MountieDawg

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on December 07, 2016, 07:13:13 pm
For tomorrow night's game between Nicholls & Florida State you can get Row C mid court for $10.00. Row 12 at BWA at center court is actually 24 rows from the floor. First 12 rows are A-L. FWIW....but good seats nonetheless.

I was saying that for the people complaining about ticket prices.
SEC!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2016, 07:42:31 pm
I was saying that for the people complaining about ticket prices.

Well, they certainly don't have any room to complain. Plenty of good seats available at a good price. My wife & I really enjoy going and try to go as often as possible. We don't have season tickets but I know a few season ticket holders who will text me when they can't go. They give us a great deal on good seats & parking passes. Good entertainment and well worth the price.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Martygit

For a long time after the 94 - 95 seasons, fans supported the BB program - showed up at games, even when the Nolan debacle went down - they suffered through Stan Heath, who was only brought in because he was black and Frank and the University needed a black coach to argue against Nolan's racial dismissal claims - then, Pelphrey, etc, and so on - and, the quality of the program went downhill - and, it wasn't fun to go watch the games like it had been in the mid-90's - and, it still isn't - I had tickets in Barnhill and in BW from its opening - gave them up a couple of years ago because it just wasn't worth it anymore - the games weren't much fun and the quality of the team on the floor wasn't worth the effort - maybe it will get better, but it's not surprising that the stadium is basically 1/2 - 1/3 full at this point - there's just not a lot of enthusiasm for the program
RIP OTR, REV

RedRock

Letsroll1200

Quote from: MartinGit on December 07, 2016, 07:56:46 pm
For a long time after the 94 - 95 seasons, fans supported the BB program - showed up at games, even when the Nolan debacle went down - they suffered through Stan Heath, who was only brought in because he was black and Frank and the University needed a black coach to argue against Nolan's racial dismissal claims - then, Pelphrey, etc, and so on - and, the quality of the program went downhill - and, it wasn't fun to go watch the games like it had been in the mid-90's - and, it still isn't - I had tickets in Barnhill and in BW from its opening - gave them up a couple of years ago because it just wasn't worth it anymore - the games weren't much fun and the quality of the team on the floor wasn't worth the effort - maybe it will get better, but it's not surprising that the stadium is basically 1/2 - 1/3 full at this point - there's just not a lot of enthusiasm for the program

We won the most games since the 90's two years ago. That's a fine time to give up your tickets.

root_hawg

As many pastries as Mike plays and the number in the SEC, he will have to buy bigger pants in the off season.  Play a good quality opponent and I will come.

hogsanity

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 07:03:03 pm
I doubt we would get a full stadium on a week night for a football game, especially when there are multiple ones, so it's not really comparable.

i bet it'd be more than half full though.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HognitiveDissonance

---> football program making progress vs our basketball doing the opposite.  We all know that is not true.  ----<

You're right, it isn't. It's the conclusion of Year 4 for CBB, and people are starting to see that now. I knew CBB wasn't elite and said we were in for a dropoff from Petrino levels, and posted such in 2013. That is proving to be true. Sigh. I wish people would listen to me more often.

You might see a little dropoff in attendance next year, depending on how this bowl game turns out. I think the bubble has burst now, though.

Saturday games where people can travel and not miss much work has a lot to do with it, plus the traditions of tailgating and socializing. There's nothing like football in that regard.

1highhog

Quote from: Danny J on December 06, 2016, 07:42:09 pm
Yeah not quite half full but loud at times

Not quite half full?  The Bud sits 19,200, actually it can sit a little more.  Around 6,700 is not even close to being half way full.  This is not something that's going to be cured in a season or two, even if the BHogs went to the NCAA Tounament 3-4 years in a row winning a game or two in it each year while winning 24 or so games each season.  Think about it, this program has been a bottom feeder for right near two decades from what it was.  Don't give me we've had a couple of good years here and there, no we haven't, not for Razorback Basketball we haven't.  We have yet to have one good year under Anderson yet, I hope this year we won't have the roller coaster season of seasons past with his teams, I hope we start to finally start to build something from this season onward.  If MA can get this team going and consistently guard their home court and then take that intensity on the road with them and when the majority of their road games, we'll have something going and I'd like to see a great showing in the SEC Tournament.

daprospecta

Quote from: 1highhog on December 08, 2016, 12:16:57 am
Not quite half full?  The Bud sits 19,200, actually it can sit a little more.  Around 6,700 is not even close to being half way full.  This is not something that's going to be cured in a season or two, even if the BHogs went to the NCAA Tounament 3-4 years in a row winning a game or two in it each year while winning 24 or so games each season.  Think about it, this program has been a bottom feeder for right near two decades from what it was.  Don't give me we've had a couple of good years here and there, no we haven't, not for Razorback Basketball we haven't.  We have yet to have one good year under Anderson yet, I hope this year we won't have the roller coaster season of seasons past with his teams, I hope we start to finally start to build something from this season onward.  If MA can get this team going and consistently guard their home court and then take that intensity on the road with them and when the majority of their road games, we'll have something going and I'd like to see a great showing in the SEC Tournament.
The 2014 season wasn't good?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 07, 2016, 11:58:30 pm
---> football program making progress vs our basketball doing the opposite.  We all know that is not true.  ----<

You're right, it isn't. It's the conclusion of Year 4 for CBB, and people are starting to see that now. I knew CBB wasn't elite and said we were in for a dropoff from Petrino levels, and posted such in 2013. That is proving to be true. Sigh. I wish people would listen to me more often.

You might see a little dropoff in attendance next year, depending on how this bowl game turns out. I think the bubble has burst now, though.

Saturday games where people can travel and not miss much work has a lot to do with it, plus the traditions of tailgating and socializing. There's nothing like football in that regard.

Not exactly Nostradamus to understand we were going to go down from the 2010 and 11 seasons for a time. 

As far as football interest and attendance, it doesn't really matter much.  Because as we have discussed, football is so much more popular than college basketball it isn't even comparable.  At least not outside of the northeastern US and few select specific regions.  And that seems to bother the hardcore basketball fans.  Football doesn't need to be great to draw interest or fans to games.  It is an event.  A basketball game, especially a non conference game in Nov/Dec, isn't viewed that way.  More like a movie or dinner.  It's 2 hours of entertainment if you find entertainment value or something of interest in it.  You have to be a serious college basketball fan to invest the time and effort into giving up those 2+ hours to attend.  Unlike football, basketball has to give more of an entertainment/interest value to do so.  Our program hasn't.  Interest in it is at an all time low for many of our lifetimes.  The basketball program has to provide the fans with something.  It isn't enough that it just exists.  An SEC football program who can win some games otherwise just has to exist basically and the people come to the event. 

For football attendance to drop to a comparable level as basketball, we would see 25-30K as actual attendance for a non conference game. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2016, 09:51:39 am
Not exactly Nostradamus to understand we were going to go down from the 2010 and 11 seasons for a time. 

As far as football interest and attendance, it doesn't really matter much.  Because as we have discussed, football is so much more popular than college basketball it isn't even comparable.  At least not outside of the northeastern US and few select specific regions.  And that seems to bother the hardcore basketball fans.  Football doesn't need to be great to draw interest or fans to games.  It is an event.  A basketball game, especially a non conference game in Nov/Dec, isn't viewed that way.  More like a movie or dinner.  It's 2 hours of entertainment if you find entertainment value or something of interest in it.  You have to be a serious college basketball fan to invest the time and effort into giving up those 2+ hours to attend.  Unlike football, basketball has to give more of an entertainment/interest value to do so.  Our program hasn't.  Interest in it is at an all time low for many of our lifetimes.  The basketball program has to provide the fans with something.  It isn't enough that it just exists.  An SEC football program who can win some games otherwise just has to exist basically and the people come to the event. 

For football attendance to drop to a comparable level as basketball, we would see 25-30K as actual attendance for a non conference game. 

I did a post on here a few years ago equating college football to how church used to be. It was an all day thing. It was a big event. People dressed up, the service was part of the day, but they also would have dinner on the ground, people wold sit and talk, kids would run around and play games, lots of things were built around the service. Not alot different now with tailgating, and other game day events built around the game.

You do not, you can not get that with basketball in most cases. Weeknight games, cold weather, and other factors just do not allow for it to be an event out side of a very few places. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

NWAHog479

We can't even sell out Donald W when Number 1 Alabama comes to town. More people should get their butts in these seats because hate to break it to you, but we're more of a basketball school than a football school. When have we ever been top of the SEC West in football? So tired of going to Bud Walton and all of you "true" fans are sitting your butts on the couch at home watching The Voice. Same "true" fans will be the one's saying "knew this team was going to be good, Mike's done a great job with these kids." SHOW UP TO THE GAMES

NWAHog479

Quote from: root_hawg on December 07, 2016, 10:28:07 pm
As many pastries as Mike plays and the number in the SEC, he will have to buy bigger pants in the off season.  Play a good quality opponent and I will come.

We have already played multiple opponents this season who are picked to win their conference and make the tournament. Do your research and actually know who good teams are instead of waiting for a power 5 school to come to town because you only know the "big name" schools. Basketball is a little bit different than football, small schools can make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

hogsanity

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 08, 2016, 10:52:59 am
We have already played multiple opponents this season who are picked to win their conference and make the tournament. Do your research and actually know who good teams are instead of waiting for a power 5 school to come to town because you only know the "big name" schools. Basketball is a little bit different than football, small schools can make a deep run in the NCAA tournament.

But only hard core fans know that IPFW is looked up on as a good team by the selection committee. The casual fan who may just be looking to go to a game does not know that, all they know is that IPFW sounds like a local union of pipefitters. And casual fans are not going to research it.

And then of course there are message board posters who think every ooc game in any sport should be with elite teams, even though that is bad on many levels.

ricepig

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 08, 2016, 10:49:47 am
We can't even sell out Donald W when Number 1 Alabama comes to town. More people should get their butts in these seats because hate to break it to you, but we're more of a basketball school than a football school. When have we ever been top of the SEC West in football? So tired of going to Bud Walton and all of you "true" fans are sitting your butts on the couch at home watching The Voice. Same "true" fans will be the one's saying "knew this team was going to be good, Mike's done a great job with these kids." SHOW UP TO THE GAMES

We had 75,459 for the Bama game, I guess that wasn't a sellout?

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2016/ar100816.htm

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2016, 11:00:41 am
But only hard core fans know that IPFW is looked up on as a good team by the selection committee. The casual fan who may just be looking to go to a game does not know that, all they know is that IPFW sounds like a local union of pipefitters. And casual fans are not going to research it.

And then of course there are message board posters who think every ooc game in any sport should be with elite teams, even though that is bad on many levels.

They won't be by the selection committee.  It is why they will have to win their conference tourney and if they do they will be a double digit seed.  It may have gotten us a top 100 win. 

NWAHog479

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 11:01:43 am
We had 75,459 for the Bama game, I guess that wasn't a sellout?

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/stats/football/2016/ar100816.htm

I was at the game and watched it again on tv, there were plenty of open seats.

ricepig

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 08, 2016, 12:52:18 pm
I was at the game and watched it again on tv, there were plenty of open seats.

I was too, open seats don't mean anything. I guess no one goes to the restrooms or concession stands, or......yes, not show up. Show me an event in which every seat was occupied at one time, and North Korea and China sporting events don't count, lol.

razoredge178

Quote from: ricepig on December 08, 2016, 12:55:56 pm
I was too, open seats don't mean anything. I guess no one goes to the restrooms or concession stands, or......yes, not show up. Show me an event in which every seat was occupied at one time, and North Korea and China sporting events don't count, lol.

rice is your HV resident expert on attendance. He's the guy that can explain away 13K season basketball tickets, while also telling you how to sell 75K+ seats in a stadium that holds 72K. While against the law, he can explain it!

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2016, 11:01:47 am
They won't be by the selection committee.  It is why they will have to win their conference tourney and if they do they will be a double digit seed.  It may have gotten us a top 100 win. 

I was using IPFW as an example. Who knows by the end of the season what ooc games will or will not be "good" wins. Who knew UTSA was going to be Texas and St Mary's? My point was that while the casual fan looks on a UTSA/IPFW/ type school as a cupcake not worth playing, when making the schedule now you schedule teams that have a chance to win their league and make your schedule better. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. The casual fan does not care, they want to see Texas, or Ou or Duke .

root_hawg

Play someone the people know and they will come, play a bunch of pastries and mid-majors who may show themselves good by year-end but who nobody knows and they don't come....  it is pretty simple..

ricepig

Quote from: razoredge178 on December 09, 2016, 09:05:05 am
rice is your HV resident expert on attendance. He's the guy that can explain away 13K season basketball tickets, while also telling you how to sell 75K+ seats in a stadium that holds 72K. While against the law, he can explain it!

I showed you were the basketball season ticket number came from, I noticed it was crickets after that post, what's wrong, can't admit when you are wrong?

WMHawgfan

It will take more than just a good year. The SEC is going to have to step us as well and become more than just Kentucky.

right now I couldn't tell you the name of a single player on most of the SEC rosters. Other than KY there just isn't any star power in the SEC any more.

When you can get back to having conference battles like we did in the 90's where you knew you had to go to Bama and stop James Robinson, Latrell Sprewell and Jason Caffey, or battle Shaq and Chris Jackson at LSU, or knowing you have to deal with Erick Dampier and Marcus Bullard at the hump, then you will start to see crowds.

Right now we are far cry from having the caliber team we had then and miles from playing in the kind of conference we played in then.

HognitiveDissonance

I don't know. We've routinely seen crowds of 12,000 - 17,000 at SEC home games in recent years. Definitely on the weekends. Two years ago for the finale against LSU it was almost a sellout...probably 18000 there.

So I don't expect this year to be much different. Don't know if I would start counting until after the Florida game, though, as that is still in December and same day as the bowl game. Ark has never played an SEC home game in December before.

MountieDawg

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 09, 2016, 11:58:52 pm
I don't know. We've routinely seen crowds of 12,000 - 17,000 at SEC home games in recent years. Definitely on the weekends. Two years ago for the finale against LSU it was almost a sellout...probably 18000 there.

So I don't expect this year to be much different. Don't know if I would start counting until after the Florida game, though, as that is still in December and same day as the bowl game. Ark has never played an SEC home game in December before.

LSU did have the National Player of the Year and the #1 pick in the draft and a natural rival.  But I do think fans will show up if they win.  Not in big numbers for Out of Convference directional schools... Maybe if they get a win vs Minneasota and fans were on the undefeated bandwagon.
SEC!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on December 07, 2016, 07:03:03 pm

If the stadium only held a little under 20,000 like the Bud I bet we would fill it.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

k.c.hawg

Quote from: WMHawgfan on December 09, 2016, 03:51:27 pm
It will take more than just a good year. The SEC is going to have to step us as well and become more than just Kentucky.

right now I couldn't tell you the name of a single player on most of the SEC rosters. Other than KY there just isn't any star power in the SEC any more.

When you can get back to having conference battles like we did in the 90's where you knew you had to go to Bama and stop James Robinson, Latrell Sprewell and Jason Caffey, or battle Shaq and Chris Jackson at LSU, or knowing you have to deal with Erick Dampier and Marcus Bullard at the hump, then you will start to see crowds.

Right now we are far cry from having the caliber team we had then and miles from playing in the kind of conference we played in then.

That is basically all of college basketball. "Star power" leaves after one year and maybe only one game against your team, two years max. In the 70's 80's and most of the 90's I could name the top 7 or 8 on every team in our league, and most of the top 25. The fact that teams had star power kept you involved and anticipating matchups against those teams game to game, year to year.

For me personally, the super teams getting 3 to 6 one and dones have created a top heavy elite, watered down the middle class and brought the mid majors into the same pool as the large Power 5's that aren't elite. For 35 years staying up late and watching 5 or 6 games on tape or dvr was my wife and I's winter routine.  When ESPN debuted and made their hay off of basketball I was in heaven. I got my SWC and the SEC as always  fix but loved the exposure to the Big East, West Coast and many leagues in between. When ESPN came out with Full Court I purchased it every year until it was no longer necessary.  I just don't care about college basketball the same way, in it's current state. I'm sure the Hogs becoming irrelevant played a role but was far from the deciding factor.  I still love the Hogs, would never dream of missing a game whether attending,  watching on tv or audio but college basketball as a whole has lost a lot of it's shine. I still watch the super matchups and chanel flip through games it just isn't that exciting to me.  The tournament is still huge, I go to Vegas every year for the opening Wednesday through Sunday and it captivates me as it always did. It's just like the regular season and conference tourneys are meh. Just my personal thoughts on it.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

poloprince

UCLA the #2 team in the nation is averaging 7400 fans fwiw
$PoLoPrInCe$

woodhog14

Quote from: NWAHog479 on December 08, 2016, 10:49:47 am

The Bama game, LSU game and Ole Miss game were all officially sellouts this year at DWRRS. You know, meaning EVERY TICKET SOLD. Now, does that mean that every seat we full? No, but then again, you have people going to the restroom, concessions, and what not all at different times. Plus people in the SEZ have access to the indoor club and some people stay inside the whole game instead of going out to their seats, so that makes some empty seats outside even thought the people that bought the tickets are actually inside the stadium.

daprospecta

Quote from: poloprince on December 10, 2016, 11:29:34 am
UCLA the #2 team in the nation is averaging 7400 fans fwiw
You can't EVEN compare them to us.  They have USC across town,the Rams, the Lakers and that's just naming a few of just sporting events.  What does northwest Arkansas have? Fast lanes? Malco? Your couch?