I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: TNhawgfan on December 06, 2016, 07:44:10 pm
You're surprised why?  Fans are apathetic to mike and his style

I guess. Big opponent. Wish I wasn't in Texas I'd. Even there. Just sad to me

MountieDawg

Quote from: Mr. Porkleone on December 06, 2016, 07:40:18 pm
Wow, good opponent and no one shows up

Houston has been to 1 NCAAT in 23 years, so if you weren't around in the 80's you have never seen Houston relevant.
SEC!

dsims2k3

Yet they are excited about the Liberty Bowl????
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

hobhog

NWA carpetbaggers don't care, and students rather watch on TV...

Letsroll1200

Good win and solid crowd on a weekday

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 06, 2016, 08:10:11 pm
Good win and solid crowd on a weekday

6600 in a 19200 seat arenea is pathic. How can you call that solid.  It's oblivious people don't care anymore about BB

daprospecta

What I find funny is fans won't get off there butts and spend 25$ to watch our promising basketball team play but they will sellout 70,000+ the game after we were blown out 56-3 in historic fashion.  Go figure.

PossumFan

As one who remembers those epic clashes between Houston and Arkansas back in the old days, it saddens me to see so many empty seats in BWA for this game. Would love to see Razorback hoops get back to where it was under Nolan and Eddie. Seems more like the Duddy Waller / Lanny Van Eman era now.

hobhog

Quote from: daprospecta on December 06, 2016, 08:20:53 pm
What I find funny is fans won't get off there butts and spend 25$ to watch our promising basketball team play but they will sellout 70,000+ the game after we were blown out 56-3 in historic fashion.  Go figure.

Less games that almost all matter and football is an all day event. We are a football state.

But other point is baffling. How NWA can't find enough interested people out of all the students and 150,000 people up there is just sad. 15 years of boring years I guess.

Hollywood_HOGan45

We beat a team that people have actually heard of and there's a tired old subject of bad crowds at BWA.

About what was expected.

hogmolar

Sat games vs mid week. I live 2 hours away and if I wanted to go to this game it would require time off of work and then getting home late before work tomorrow.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on December 06, 2016, 08:42:29 pm
We beat a team that people have actually heard of and there's a tired old subject of bad crowds at BWA.

About what was expected.

We will show them how it's done in central Arkansas on Dec 22

hobhog

I used to drive up and back from LR with a group several times a year. Not so much anymore. We are older but also unmotivated.

uncle bubs

I went tonight and had a blast. The student section was nuts. The crowd filled out more as they got off work, and they were loud. The players were having fun too. Quit griping about it. We don't draw the crowds we used to, so be it. It's easy to cry about it when you watch it on tv, but the fans who showed up had a blast. Great memory in the books!
God bless the Boston Mountains.

colbs

It seems the majority fans are fair weather fans.  This team is pretty good against a decent opponent and 2/3rds of the building is empty. 

WorfHog

I think a 6:00 pm tip on a Tuesday had something to do with it. I don't know about you guys, but I work until 5 or later. Hard to catch a game like that with the traffic around here like it is.

HogFaninMemphis

$25 is a lot of money to go watch a non-con game in December. It's not about what kind of fan I am, it's about the fact that that's a lot of money. I know you can get cheaper tickets on certain sites, but the U of A can't complain about attendance when they're price-gouging to their own detriment.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

uncle bubs

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 06, 2016, 09:42:47 pm
$25 is a lot of money to go watch a non-con game in December. It's not about what kind of fan I am, it's about the fact that that's a lot of money. I know you can get cheaper tickets on certain sites, but the U of A can't complain about attendance when they're price-gouging to their own detriment.
My buddy's been finding them for $6 online. Another hogville poster claimed to have bought 3 tickets for like $25. If your schedule permits, you should come on out! This team is really fun to watch in person.
God bless the Boston Mountains.

East Clintwood

Maybe we should swap out with Barnhill?

Let the wrestling and badminton teams or whoever is is that currently uses Barnhill have BWA and the basketball team go back to Barnhill.

6600 in a 9000 seat barn sounds a lot better.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

swineology

I showed up just like ever other game. Again I was asked to sit down, again the cheerleaders are lost and yet again the students for the most part pulled a no show.

Up by 14 in the 1st half fans were starting to really become factor, then, Mike put's the starters back in and quiets the momentum. In 7 minutes the Hogs are down by 2 to Houston.

See ya'll Saturday vs N.Florida

WPS

Danny J

Quote from: swineology on December 06, 2016, 10:32:36 pm

Up by 14 in the 1st half fans were starting to really become factor, then, Mike put's the starters back in and quiets the momentum. In 7 minutes the Hogs are down by 2 to Houston.

Yeah...you could feel the intensity dissipate from both the crowd and the team. 

JIHawg

I watched our game then I watched Duke and Florida.  Of the four teams, ours was the most exciting to me.

swineology

Quote from: Danny J on December 06, 2016, 10:39:03 pm
Yeah...you could feel the intensity dissipate from both the crowd and the team.

The saddest part was the media timeout with almost 7 minutes left, Hogs up 63-61, fans were leaving left and right. I saw the players looking into the stands and watching the masses leave.

WTG Fans, players aren't stupid they see what you do and read what you say on social media.

:puke: :puke:

nwahogfan1

I went to a couple games early and watched the most of the rest on TV or the Net and this team is not playing as well at this point as I was hoping.   I thought our defense would be better.  I thought our athleticism would make teams shoot more contested shots and we would be able to stay in front of our man keeping him out of the lane.  I also thought we would have our bigs finally trained not to switch on outside picks.   Pet peeve of mine.  I am a fundamentals guy and an effort guy and this team is disappointing me a little.  We are pretty darn athletic but we are not real tough.  Maybe Mike needs to hire a half court defensive coach.    I still think we will win 20+ games but I am not so sure we can reach 23+ which I think it will take for us to reach the Tournament.

swineology

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on December 06, 2016, 10:53:53 pm
I went to a couple games early and watched the most of the rest on TV or the Net and this team is not playing as well at this point as I was hoping.   I thought our defense would be better.  I thought our athleticism would make teams shoot more contested shots and we would be able to stay in front of our man keeping him out of the lane.  I also thought we would have our bigs finally trained not to switch on outside picks.   Pet peeve of mine.  I am a fundamentals guy and an effort guy and this team is disappointing me a little.  We are pretty darn athletic but we are not real tough.  Maybe Mike needs to hire a half court defensive coach.    I still think we will win 20+ games but I am not so sure we can reach 23+ which I think it will take for us to reach the Tournament.

I thought with all the new skilled players and depth, Mike would do more.

HognitiveDissonance

Well, I said 8472 in another thread 'Houston So Far', so I overstated a bit.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: PossumFan on December 06, 2016, 08:31:22 pm
As one who remembers those epic clashes between Houston and Arkansas back in the old days, it saddens me to see so many empty seats in BWA for this game. Would love to see Razorback hoops get back to where it was under Nolan and Eddie. Seems more like the Duddy Waller / Lanny Van Eman era now.
Winning cures all, so no need for anyone to worry about.
Winning is the only cure for this ill.
Winning in any style is the answer. Doesn't matter if it's 58-56 or 78-76. Just win.

HognitiveDissonance

As some said, football is about other things too such as tailgating and socializing.
People also still believe, rightly or wrongly, in the direction of the football program. Although many have jumped or questioned after the last game.
No one feels good about the direction of the basketball program at this point. They're waiting for evidence that the tide has turned. Have been suckered too long.
Just keep winning and things will change.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 06, 2016, 08:54:42 pm
We will show them how it's done in central Arkansas on Dec 22
Yea, there will be the usual 10,000+ in LR. I'll probably be one of them. It's their only game of the year, and people show up.

But that reminds me of something funny. Last year after the loss in LR(Mercer?), some idiot was on here saying 'why are we playing games in LR anyway?' implying, of course, if we had played the game on campus we would have won. In other words, it was the arena's fault. Even though it was a raucous LR crowd.

Just when you thought you had heard it all....

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: PossumFan on December 06, 2016, 08:31:22 pm
There's an ESPN 30 for 30 special on Phi Slama Jama coming out soon...

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: JIHawg on December 06, 2016, 10:42:43 pm
I watched our game then I watched Duke and Florida.  Of the four teams, ours was the most exciting to me.
Yea, I'd love to trade teams with Duke...they may win more, but we're more exciting!

pigsooie1000

it's absurd they stick with this pricing. why are there not $10 tickets available for every game (bar Kentucky) right off the bat and maybe $3 tickets day of the game. maybe that person loves it and buys a shirt, a coke, a popcorn and comes back? when you start getting 90% full then the prices can go up, but man it's brutal to see the empty seats when we actually have a solid team who plays hard

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on December 06, 2016, 11:19:05 pm
it's absurd they stick with this pricing. why are there not $10 tickets available for every game (bar Kentucky) right off the bat and maybe $3 tickets day of the game. maybe that person loves it and buys a shirt, a coke, a popcorn and comes back? when you start getting 90% full then the prices can go up, but man it's brutal to see the empty seats when we actually have a solid team who plays hard
Absolutely. One basketball game is not worth $25.
Neither is a football game worth $65. Everything is overpriced. But that's Jeff Long's mantra...mo money, mo money.
I think the problem is many of these tickets are actually sold but people aren't showing up.
But I agree and think tickets right now should be $10-$15, and maybe more for SEC games. Maybe $20-25 for those would be fair.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on December 06, 2016, 11:19:05 pm
SO MUCH THIS EXACTLY. It's a COLLEGE, you'd think they'd understand simple economics and business practices that promote growth, but, NOPE!!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HognitiveDissonance

I know it's harder to do, but ideally you would have very dynamic pricing.

People would probably pay $40 per ticket for a Kentucky game.
Perhaps an Austin Peay game should be $8

And others in between. Actually I don't know why these 'dynamic prices' couldn't be set ahead of time. One can pretty much predict what the most interesting games will be and price them accordingly.

East Clintwood

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 06, 2016, 11:10:24 pm
There's an ESPN 30 for 30 special on Phi Slama Jama coming out soon...

It's out.  I watched it a couple of weeks ago.  It's as much about Benny Anders as Phi Slama Jama.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

hoglady

The 6678 should be actual attendance - didn't they sell over 13,000 season tickets??
They will never lower those ticket prices as long as they're selling over 13,000 in season tickets - it doesn't matter that over half of them never show up.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

cosmodrum

We keep winning, get into SEC and get past the bowl, we'll see bigger crowds.
Go away, batin'

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: cosmodrum on December 06, 2016, 11:40:10 pm
We keep winning, get into SEC and get past the bowl, we'll see bigger crowds.
exactly this ^^^^
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

This was a 6 pm game on a Tuesday evening. The average person gets off work around 5 pm. Few people outside of the Fayetteville area have a chance of reaching the game in time even if they wanted to. Also, this time of year, people are more likely to save that $25 per ticket and use it on Christmas gifts.

As someone said earlier, football is an all day event, basketball is maybe an hour or so. For most people in the state, the drive to the game is much longer than the event itself. Jeff Long can definitely change this by adding to the gameday experience
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Hamstein

This team needs the big crowds to feed on. They have no margin for error at the  Bud. I just don't see this team winning, maybe a couple road games. Which is disappointing because the SEC is horrendous....

poloprince

Quote from: Hamstein on December 07, 2016, 08:10:34 am
This team needs the big crowds to feed on. They have no margin for error at the  Bud. I just don't see this team winning, maybe a couple road games. Which is disappointing because the SEC is horrendous....

troll??
$PoLoPrInCe$

The_Iceman

I agree with the comments on here about ticket prices. But, will it really change the attendance numbers? 13000 seats are already pre-sold, and people just don't show up. Had someone at my office yesterday offering free tickets, and people pretty much just said "nah"...with a myriad of excuses and reasons. Midweek basketball just isn't a draw for people.

ricepig

Quote from: hoglady on December 06, 2016, 11:36:30 pm
The 6678 should be actual attendance - didn't they sell over 13,000 season tickets??
They will never lower those ticket prices as long as they're selling over 13,000 in season tickets - it doesn't matter that over half of them never show up.

Yes, over 13,000 sold.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on December 07, 2016, 07:24:50 am
This was a 6 pm game on a Tuesday evening. The average person gets off work around 5 pm. Few people outside of the Fayetteville area have a chance of reaching the game in time even if they wanted to. Also, this time of year, people are more likely to save that $25 per ticket and use it on Christmas gifts.

As someone said earlier, football is an all day event, basketball is maybe an hour or so. For most people in the state, the drive to the game is much longer than the event itself. Jeff Long can definitely change this by adding to the gameday experience

Good points. I left work a little after 5:00 in Springdale. Due to traffic, I missed the opening tip. 6:00 start a Tuesday, not a bad crowd. I-49 is a parking lot during rush hour. Also, People forget that "back in the day" not every game was televised and there certainly wasn't HDTV. Student attendance certainly isn't what it once as....but what is?
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

lstewart

My wife and I were there, and have been at every home game. My son rushed out of class to get there and was on the front row of the student section. Being a 6pm start was a big issue. My wife and I work on campus, and we left the office, grabbed a quick snack walking toward the arena, and walked down to the game. Would have been tough to be there from out of town. Crowd was thin at tip off, but was pretty decent and loud in the second half. It felt to me like probably the second largest crowd of the year. Not sure at what point theyt stop counting tickets, but it might have been more than the announced crowd there by the middle of the second half. Pretty good game and a solid win.

razorhead94

The title of this thread is inaccurate....6678 is actual attendance not paid attendance.  Paid attendance is well over 13,000.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs