Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mind Blowing

Started by Like it is, December 06, 2016, 06:24:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Like it is

How many games does it take for MA to realize we're ( and Moses) are more effective if he plays more block to block than 18-20' from the rim ! His numbers don't lie!! It's ridiculous! Run an offense that gets him more involved !!!!!! I'm sick of watching it to be honest! As good as guards we have , they'd be even more effective if we established an inside game with Moses ! Wake up Mike before it's too late and he's graduated!!!!!

dsims2k3

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

hobhog

I like the massive substitution patterns when up by 12....

Danny J

Quote from: hobhog on December 06, 2016, 06:46:06 pm
I like the massive substitution patterns when up by 12....
This ^^^ deserves it's own thread maybe a mod can split it. So we have a 14 point lead then sub put a team that hadn't been on the court 5 minutes and a 15 point turnaround...makes no sense at all.

Like it is

It's no rocket science !!
When we press , we give up easy baskets or foul ! When we pick up at the half , we make more stops !!!!!!!!!
The 1994 philosophy doesn't work in the 2000's !!!! Teams aren't shaken!!!!!
Good teams make stops at the half court !!

The_Bionic_Pig

They need to assign a defender to Gray...their simply waiting for Arkansas to switch and  have a PF or C to guard him then he simply blows by him
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

bvillepig

hobhog

Quote from: poloprince on December 06, 2016, 08:04:04 pm
They won coaches

Yes they did. I'm happy. Houston looked pretty decent- I thought we would lose it down stretch.

Please beat the Whorns.

niels_boar

Quote from: Danny J on December 06, 2016, 06:57:09 pm
This ^^^ deserves it's own thread maybe a mod can split it. So we have a 14 point lead then sub put a team that hadn't been on the court 5 minutes and a 15 point turnaround...makes no sense at all.

Yeah, who would expect your starting lineup to hold a lead after a 5-minute rest?  What an idiot.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Danny J

Quote from: niels_boar on December 06, 2016, 08:48:40 pm
Yeah, who would expect your starting lineup to hold a lead after a 5-minute rest?  What an idiot.
Why mess with a good thing? Why sub out a hot team? It's not like it hasn't been discussed ad nauseum all year. If your playing well and the lead is building then leave them in until they need a rest. I was on the court and they were still fresh.

BoarnSupremacy

Take a step back.  Hogs won.  I don't think Mike is the saviour but hogs won

hobhog

Quote from: Danny J on December 06, 2016, 08:55:07 pm
Why mess with a good thing? Why sub out a hot team? It's not like it hasn't been discussed ad nauseum all year. If your playing well and the lead is building then leave them in until they need a rest. I was on the court and they were still fresh.

Then later in the game cherry pick who has been playing well and go with them. I've always thought playing 10 is too many but worked tonight.

Danny J

Quote from: hobhog on December 06, 2016, 08:57:33 pm
Then later in the game cherry pick who has been playing well and go with them. I've always thought playing 10 is too many but worked tonight.
Yeah and he did that later game leaving Beard in place of Barford. I thought trey played well tonight as well. Whatever reason Beard and trey and hannahs seem to have a nice chemistry.

Hollywood870

Reality alert. Thompson is better than Kingsley.

niels_boar

From 8 minutes left in the game to 2 minutes left we outscored them 14-3. That's why.  With Barford having a slow night we needed Beard down the stretch.  He played 24 minutes as it was.  With our depth CMA would have looked kind of silly if Beard were dragging because he had played 30 minutes.  Besides, that group that went back on the court had two of our three high scorers on the night.  Houston is a top-25 offensive team.  They weren't going to grind to a halt forever.  The starters had a bad stretch. It happens.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

zebradynasty

GuvHog

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 06, 2016, 09:04:21 pm

I wouldn't go that far but there could possibly be times this season where Mike has to have Thompson and Kingsley on the floor at the same time with 3 guards. Thompson has really improved.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

RealHog

Good win, and crowd picked up. Looks like team is felling better. We won but we still showed many of the issues we have all year. Terrible offense ball movement when not in transition, and Kingsley strangely at the 3 point line or even driving! Yikes! We have had much better perimeter D though so I'll give Mike that. Watching Florida though makes me wonder is well ever break through. I'd put us 4th or 5th in the SEC right now.

1 KY
2 FL
3 TAMU
4 SC/AR

Hoping we can breakthrough and make the Tourney.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 06, 2016, 09:04:21 pm

Effort wise Thompson played better than Kingsley. However, Kingsley skill set is better than Thompson. If Kingsley can get out of his own way and stop trying to prove something to the scouts.

HawgnCorona

You were, what number did you wear? :-\
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

sadhogfan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 06, 2016, 09:27:35 pm
Effort wise Thompson played better than Kingsley. However, Kingsley skill set is better than Thompson. If Kingsley can get out of his own way and stop trying to prove something to the scouts.

Let's back off the Kingsley hate a bit. He had 14 and 9 tonight on 9 FGA, which is more shots than he has been getting in most games this year, and still fewer than he averaged last year. He had a couple of nice blocks, and also a couple of would-be nice assists that his stone-handed teammates bungled.

He has struggled some this year, yes. He's also playing with new guards who aren't particularly interested in getting him the ball, and he's being doubled almost every time he touches it down low. But in THIS game, he played well. He was aggressive when he caught it down low, knocked down a couple of outside shots (which was key to his success last year, by the way), and honestly, the game in the second half turned when they made a concerted effort to get him the ball and he made back-to-back baskets.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: sadhogfan on December 06, 2016, 09:36:34 pm
Let's back off the Kingsley hate a bit. He had 14 and 9 tonight on 9 FGA, which is more shots than he has been getting in most games this year, and still fewer than he averaged last year. He had a couple of nice blocks, and also a couple of would-be nice assists that his stone-handed teammates bungled.

He has struggled some this year, yes. He's also playing with new guards who aren't particularly interested in getting him the ball, and he's being doubled almost every time he touches it down low. But in THIS game, he played well. He was aggressive when he caught it down low, knocked down a couple of outside shots (which was key to his success last year, by the way), and honestly, the game in the second half turned when they made a concerted effort to get him the ball and he made back-to-back baskets.

I just don't like to see our best big man get outworked. Kingsley effort did improve in the second half.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: RealHog on December 06, 2016, 09:24:53 pm
Good win, and crowd picked up. Looks like team is felling better. We won but we still showed many of the issues we have all year. Terrible offense ball movement when not in transition, and Kingsley strangely at the 3 point line or even driving! Yikes! We have had much better perimeter D though so I'll give Mike that. Watching Florida though makes me wonder is well ever break through. I'd put us 4th or 5th in the SEC right now.

1 KY
2 FL
3 TAMU
4 SC/AR

Hoping we can breakthrough and make the Tourney.

South Carolina lost one of their best guards. Don't know how long that he will be out. Texas A&M lead guard play is not very good. Kentucky and Florida are the class of the SEC.

Danny J

Rawker

Quote from: GuvHog on December 06, 2016, 09:21:59 pm
I wouldn't go that far but there could possibly be times this season where Mike has to have Thompson and Kingsley on the floor at the same time with 3 guards. Thompson has really improved.

I would easily go that far.  Saying Kingsley is a good SUBSTITUTE for Thompson would be the overstatement.  Been saying it all year.  And it has nothing to do with the stat sheet....it's the dropped balls in traffic, the missed pass catches, the trotting back on D even after he's made a decent play and should be fired up to back up a good offensive play with a defensive stop.  I think it turns out that he looked good last year because, beside Jabril doing one thing and feeding him, we were so slow everywhere on the court that he looked energetic in comparison.  With faster guys this season, he looks lumbering.  He should be a back up player behind Thompson or an option to team up with Trey, unless he starts showing that he is deserving of being THE big man.  I vote for increased minutes for Trey!   

Danny J

I wish trey would shoot more. He has a nice looking shot. I am not sure why he is so hesitant.

rzrbackramsfan

I want the line up of Macon, hannahs, bailey, thompson, Kingsley.  Rebounds for days

Rawker

Quote from: sadhogfan on December 06, 2016, 09:36:34 pm

After reading this, I agree to back off my last reply criticizing MK.  But the positive thing to take away from my bit is that TT is showing much needed improvement!  Really liking DT and TT!  Oh...and really hating this board.  Can't believe the fly-bys people are making to crap all over the team after a win, and there must be mostly people 70 and over on here, as most seem to think that the only teams worth beating are one of 10 biggest names.  You'll never get it through your head how across-the-board the competition goes now.  Get out and help with an AAU program and you'll realize the amount of training that kids are getting from 4th grade up and just how many are seeing high-level competition all through the ranks as they grow up.  There are players on the lower teams that could start for the biggest programs, and they know how to beat the biggest players because they've done it in one of the 100s of tournaments they play coming up.  For the Hogs to maintain against that Gray kid - plus Robinson and Dotson - and even that Meyer, who was tougher under the basket than MK, makes for a fantastic win against very solid talent.

JayBell

Win or lose, Anderson's substitution patterns have always been a bit perplexing.  It's like he decides before the game when he wants to sub in and out instead of letting the game dictate it.  He does a good job getting the right players on the court late in the game, but there are certainly things to pick at between the 15:00 mark in the first half to the 5:00 mark in the second half.

Like it is

Reality check : Dustin Thomas has taken Trey Thompson's minutes... DT is an overall better player. More active / quicker

Swinesong1

Quote from: Like it is on December 07, 2016, 12:27:00 pm
Reality check : Dustin Thomas has taken Trey Thompson's minutes... DT is an overall better player. More active / quicker
Thomas is in Miles' slot.  Thompson is primarily (almost exclusively) Kingsley's backup. 

JayBell

Thomas and Thompson don't really affect each other.  For better or worse, Anderson hates having two true post players on the court at the same time.  Thomas is perfect for Anderson's system.  Thompson is primarily Kingsley's backup and won't get more time on the court until Kingsley leaves.  Cook and Bailey spell Thomas, not Thompson.

Like it is

I do love our depth in all positions! Haven't had this much in a while! Now if we can just have the right combinations in there , we'd all have a Merry Christmas

Hogusta National

Quote from: Like it is on December 06, 2016, 07:03:35 pm
It's no rocket science !!
When we press , we give up easy baskets or foul ! When we pick up at the half , we make more stops !!!!!!!!!
The 1994 philosophy doesn't work in the 2000's !!!! Teams aren't shaken!!!!!
Good teams make stops at the half court !!

Couldn't agree more with this post!