Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm confused how much negative toward the bball team

Started by swinesation, December 03, 2016, 03:35:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

swinesation

I think the negative toward the team this year is the result of unrealistic expectations. If you thought we were going to be really good this year, it was wishful thinking. Ever since the departure of Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls, the team has had a dearth of talent. The 2014 and 15 recruiting classes were a disaster. 2016 wasn't looking that good, but Mike and his staff pulled off a solid, not great, recruiting class bolstered by signing 3 of the top 6 junior college players available. Losing Monk was pretty devastating. It was obvious Mike went all out to get him, pulled out all the stops, but he headed to greener pastures. If Monk is on this team, the conversations in JB would be totally different right now.

When your top three signings are junior college players, it's obvious your putting a band-aid on a wound. Even the top junior college players are an unknown - some succeed at the next level, others don't. But it was obvious that those three players would at least help the Razorbacks field a solid, respectable team. That's what we'll be this year - nothing more, nothing less. We could make the tournament and win a game or two, but more than likely we're an NIT team. We'll see.

But the point is this year's team was never destined to be great, never destined to be, let's say, top 15, sweet sixteen quality. This is a transition year, a year to put a respectable product on the court until the horses come. AND HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: THEY ARE COMING!! We have a very good group already signed for next year, the best group Mike has signed. And the 2018 class is even better!! Assuming the 2018 commitments all sign, it would be among the best recruiting classes this program has ever had.

More than any other sport, one or two elite players can make a basketball team great (along with a strong supporting cast). This team currently has no elite players (except maybe Moses, but not sure on that). But the elite players are coming - one, maybe two, next year. One, possibly two or three in 2018. Another in 2019. Barring a castrophe, it's gonna get better!

I'm not an Anderson apologist. Before he and his staff went nuts in recruiting, I was beginning to wonder if he was going to get the job done, though I hoped he would. But now I really believe he's turned it around. He's finally bringing in some elite players. So enjoy the year, if you can. We'll be pretty good, probably get better as the season progresses and the team gells. But we ain't gonna be great, good chance we won't make it to the tournament. But unlike the football team, the future looks bright for the basketball team, brighter than it's looked in a long time.

niels_boar

It's too early to know what this team is, one way or the other.  The R-H-B team of '98-'99 lost by 30 at Oklahoma in November and finished in the top 20.  Two of our mid-major opponents have power-conference wins.  Everybody is always super optimistic until we actually lose a game, as if we were going to go undefeated, and then the season is over.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 03:35:46 pm
I think the negative toward the team this year is the result of unrealistic expectations. If you thought we were going to be really good this year, it was wishful thinking. Ever since the departure of Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls, the team has had a dearth of talent. The 2014 and 15 recruiting classes were a disaster. 2016 wasn't looking that good, but Mike and his staff pulled off a solid, not great, recruiting class bolstered by signing 3 of the top 6 junior college players available. Losing Monk was pretty devastating. It was obvious Mike went all out to get him, pulled out all the stops, but he headed to greener pastures. If Monk is on this team, the conversations in JB would be totally different right now.

When your top three signings are junior college players, it's obvious your putting a band-aid on a wound. Even the top junior college players are an unknown - some succeed at the next level, others don't. But it was obvious that those three players would at least help the Razorbacks field a solid, respectable team. That's what we'll be this year - nothing more, nothing less. We could make the tournament and win a game or two, but more than likely we're an NIT team. We'll see.

But the point is this year's team was never destined to be great, never destined to be, let's say, top 15, sweet sixteen quality. This is a transition year, a year to put a respectable product on the court until the horses come. AND HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: THEY ARE COMING!! We have a very good group already signed for next year, the best group Mike has signed. And the 2018 class is even better!! Assuming the 2018 commitments all sign, it would be among the best recruiting classes this program has ever had.

More than any other sport, one or two elite players can make a basketball team great (along with a strong supporting cast). This team currently has no elite players (except maybe Moses, but not sure on that). But the elite players are coming - one, maybe two, next year. One, possibly two or three in 2018. Another in 2019. Barring a castrophe, it's gonna get better!

I'm not an Anderson apologist. Before he and his staff went nuts in recruiting, I was beginning to wonder if he was going to get the job done, though I hoped he would. But now I really believe he's turned it around. He's finally bringing in some elite players. So enjoy the year, if you can. We'll be pretty good, probably get better as the season progresses and the team gells. But we ain't gonna be great, good chance we won't make it to the tournament. But unlike the football team, the future looks bright for the basketball team, brighter than it's looked in a long time.

I'll help you. It isn't because of unrealistic expectations.  What the hell expectations do we even have left for Anderson and his program?  Has he been held to an expectation yet? 

He didn't pull out all of the stops.  Mike has created 0 excitement around his program.  No marketing.  No branding unless you count a hashtag.  On a day UK played UCLA on CBS we will play Austin Peay in front of 5,000 and 14,000 empty seats on an internet broadcast.  Why the hell would an elite recruit come play in this?  Plus his reluctance to play underclassmen and his spreading of minutes and no structure on offense. 

2018 class.  2018 class will be on the court for the 2018-19 season.  Season 8.  You could get some fans back to pay attention by that point.  If they are immediate impact players.  Most of the current roster will turnover after next season.  In 2018 will it be "they are freshmen, they are young, wait till Justice Hill gets here next season"?

It's gonna get better.  By the time it does you may be able to play the non conference games at Fay high. 

Unrealistic expectations?  When the hell has Anderson had an expectation put on him?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

swinesation

Quote from: niels_boar on December 03, 2016, 03:46:16 pm
It's too early to know what this team is, one way or the other.  The R-H-B team of '98-'99 lost by 30 at Oklahoma in November and finished in the top 20.  Two of our mid-major opponents have power-conference wins.  Everybody is always super optimistic until we actually lose a game, as if we were going to go undefeated, and then the season is over.

All I'm saying is many in JB, even the big dogs, seem ready to give up on Mike if we don't get to the tournament this year. I'm saying there's a good chance we won't, but that the future is bright with the amazing turnaround in recruiting. So why demand Mike field a tournament team this year? We ain't likely to make much noise this year, but look to the future, be happy, and enjoy the season for what it is.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 03:53:48 pm
All I'm saying is many in JB, even the big dogs, seem ready to give up on Mike if we don't get to the tournament this year. I'm saying there's a good chance we won't, but that the future is bright with the amazing turnaround in recruiting. So why demand Mike field a tournament team this year? We ain't likely to make much noise this year, but look to the future, be happy, and enjoy the season for what it is.

So continue with no expectations. 

Would you have this view if it were any other coach at Arkansas?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 03, 2016, 03:56:24 pm

Let's begin by listing those coaches who would not be fired after making one NCAA Tournament in SIX YEARS.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 03, 2016, 04:02:37 pm
Let's begin by listing those coaches who would not be fired after making one NCAA Tournament in SIX YEARS.

5 years would have a list of   ?  Mike Anderson,

I still think the team will win enough to make it because of the schedule. 

Wisco Pig

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 03:35:46 pm
... Ever since the departure of Bobby Portis and Michael Qualls, the team has had a dearth of talent. The 2014 and 15 recruiting classes were a disaster. 2016 wasn't looking that good, but Mike and his staff pulled off a solid, not great, recruiting class bolstered by signing 3 of the top 6 junior college players available. Losing Monk was pretty devastating. ...  When your top three signings are junior college players, it's obvious your putting a band-aid on a wound. Even the top junior college players are an unknown - some succeed at the next level, others don't.

You don't sound confused.  The recruiting problems are a big deal, especially when the Hogs lose other players via transfer every year.  It's a large part of the current negativity.

HogBreath

I'm fairly confused about all the negativity. Who knows why?  Making the NCAA is way over rated to me.

And I like our timeouts during games where our coaches stand off to one side & chat while our players sip gatorade and visit with one another. 
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

swinesation

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 03, 2016, 04:16:41 pm
You don't sound confused.  The recruiting problems are a big deal, especially when the Hogs lose other players via transfer every year.  It's a large part of the current negativity.

Nice job only quoting the part before I said "HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: THEY ARE COMING." Do you not recognize the incredible turnaround in recruiting? Yes, we had two really poor years of recruiting that hurt Mike's ability to accomplish what he wanted. Yes, losing Monk hurt bad. But the next two recruiting classes are Mike's best yet, and we've already got an elite player on board for 2019. How can fans not be excited??

swinesation

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 03, 2016, 03:56:24 pm

Yes, I definitely would. Like I said, I'm not an Anderson apologist. Feel free to go back and see my posting history (there's not a whole lot there). I pretty much want every coach at Arkansas to succeed, but I'm also a realist.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 04:32:02 pm
Nice job only quoting the part before I said "HERE'S THE GOOD NEWS: THEY ARE COMING." Do you not recognize the incredible turnaround in recruiting? Yes, we had two really poor years of recruiting that hurt Mike's ability to accomplish what he wanted. Yes, losing Monk hurt bad. But the next two recruiting classes are Mike's best yet, and we've already got an elite player on board for 2019. How can fans not be excited??

I see some Arkansas kids wanting to be Razorbacks.  That isn't incredible.  It is a coach doing his job.  At a near minimal level. 

Wisco Pig

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 04:32:02 pm
How can fans not be excited??

I am excited about those recruiting classes.   I'm also pretty negative about the current state of the program; we need to recruit well on a continual basis, like good programs do, and we haven't.

I can hold both of these feelings at the same time.

swinesation

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 03, 2016, 04:41:35 pm
I am excited about those recruiting classes.   I'm also pretty negative about the current state of the program; we need to recruit well on a continual basis, like good programs do, and we haven't.

I can hold both of these feelings at the same time.

Two, probably three excellent recruiting classes in a row is getting pretty close to "a continual basis."

daprospecta

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 03, 2016, 04:38:23 pm
I see some Arkansas kids wanting to be Razorbacks.  That isn't incredible.  It is a coach doing his job.  At a near minimal level. 
You think our coach is coaching at a minimal level?

Wisco Pig

I think you're being disingenuous.  We've won two NCAA tournament games since 2000.   People are negative about that fact.  A lot of us remember Hogs teams that would win two tournament games in a single weekend.

Arkansas had many, many good teams under Sutton and Richardson.  These days, not so much.  People are negative about it.

I'm happy that good recruits are on the way, and I hope those kids turn the whole thing around.   Have a good evening.   Go Hogs.   :razorback:

Atlhogfan1

swinesation

Quote from: Wisco Pig on December 03, 2016, 05:06:00 pm
I think you're being disingenuous.  We've won two NCAA tournament games since 2000.   People are negative about that fact.  A lot of us remember Hogs teams that would win two tournament games in a single weekend.

Arkansas had many, many good teams under Sutton and Richardson.  These days, not so much.  People are negative about it.

I'm happy that good recruits are on the way, and I hope those kids turn the whole thing around.   Have a good evening.   Go Hogs.   :razorback:

How can you assess if I'm being genuine?? Strange thing to say.

My point is that people are negative because things aren't getting better, and I'm saying for those with a little foresight things ARE getting better.

WilsonHog

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 05:20:45 pm

My point is that people are negative because things aren't getting better, and I'm saying for those with a little foresight things ARE getting better.

Things are getting better from a recruiting standpoint, but fans are getting pretty frustrated waiting for Little Nolan to produce results on the court like his mentor did.

zuko

What is so unrealistic about expecting tournaments after the regular season when the coach has been in place at least 5 years and hasn't really been consistent which is in line with our football program as well. All we hear are excuses and promises. What happened to the "forty minutes of hell" thing which was supposed to happen when Nolan Richardson engineered the firing of Pelphry and the hiring of Anderson. They are in trouble again. when the star or mainstay of the team has to be reminded after 3 years that his is the man. I think we a re being setup for another disappointing campaign,

Atlhogfan1

And we are saying less and less people give a darn enough to even consider it and those who do are saying "I've heard this before".

We were sold for 9 years on what Anderson would do at Arkansas.  Berated by Nolan supporters.  His successors failed miserably but even if they hadn't they had that Anderson shadow over them.  The UAB upset of UK, the E8 where they saw Hawg Ball.  Left us with no choice but to hire him.  And it has been a near complete failure.  BWA was supposed to return to close to what it was.  We were going to see Hawg Ball and see why it once was so effective in conf and NCAAT's.  Except none  of that darn has happened.  But you want us to give till the '18 class gets here or the '18 + Justice Hill.  Does it really matter at this point?  Just give Mike all the time it takes for things to come together for him to have some success for a few seasons, right?  That will work for a small portion of fans.  Many of those who forced this situation on us. 

JIHawg

Beat an SEC team on the road we shouldn't and lots more people will exude happiness.

Ironhawg

Quote from: niels_boar on December 03, 2016, 03:46:16 pm

This is where I am right now.  The team isn't looking great, but it is still very early.  I feel like we're going to have a much better read on them by early January.

Mr. Porkleone

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 03, 2016, 04:02:37 pm

So Wilson. No NCAA mean your ready for a change? If so, top 5 prospects to be in the hunt for job. Add at least one dream candidate you'd like

Hog Solo

No freaking reason to be down on this team this point in the season.  "Fans" at this point are a joke.

dsgreen

This is a team that could easily sneak it's way into the Sweet 16.  They should definitely make it into the tourney, and with the number of options they have, surprise a few teams if they get hot at the right moment.

rude1

I am confuse on why anyone would be confused about the negative toward the bball team. Year six, one ncaa tourney visit. First road visit, another road spanking this season. Why should anyone believe that this year or next year or next year is going to be different? Time to stop blaming the fans and focus on why the program is on a higher trajectory at this point. If you want to quiet the naysayers, start going on the road and coming back with wins.

phadedhawg

Quote from: rude1 on December 03, 2016, 09:05:10 pm
I am confuse on why anyone would be confused about the negative toward the bball team. Year six, one ncaa tourney visit. First road visit, another road spanking this season. Why should anyone believe that this year or next year or next year is going to be different? Time to stop blaming the fans and focus on why the program is on a higher trajectory at this point. If you want to quiet the naysayers, start going on the road and coming back with wins.

none of those things happened tonight.  #WPS

poloprince

Quote from: WilsonHog on December 03, 2016, 05:26:13 pm
Things are getting better from a recruiting standpoint, but fans are getting pretty frustrated waiting for Little Nolan to produce results on the court like his mentor did.

The expectation of Nolan type results are unrealistic and laughable. Any fan that expects that would be selling Nolan's greatness very very short.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Sivad

Quote from: swinesation on December 03, 2016, 03:53:48 pm
So why demand Mike field a tournament team this year?
Because it's Year 6 and he's paid a big time salary?

phadedhawg

I'm excited for Houston on Tuesday night.  Maybe a few more will be in the stands and we can get the building to rockin'.

HogBreath

Quote from: Sivad on December 03, 2016, 09:17:58 pm
Now just hold on a second there Mr. Sivad, this is Nol Anderson we're talking about.  Things have gone so well of late, some are even already referring to his new found recruiting prowess as being successful on a continual basis.

We just need to strap on our seatbelts cause the CMA Fast 40 roller coaster is starting to rumble down the tracks!!

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Hog Solo

Quote from: HogBreath on December 03, 2016, 09:55:03 pm
Now just hold on a second there Mr. Sivad, this is Nol Anderson we're talking about.  Things have gone so well of late, some are even already referring to his new found recruiting prowess as being successful on a continual basis.

We just need to strap on our seatbelts cause the CMA Fast 40 roller coaster is starting to rumble down the tracks!!

Silly.. you guys be silly.  We are starting to get recruits and results, but you guys rather be silly.

HogBreath

Quote from: Hog Solo on December 03, 2016, 10:02:05 pm
Silly.. you guys be silly.  We are starting to get recruits and results, but you guys rather be silly.
Exactly right..we may have gotten drilled on the road at Minnesota, but we're back home now fattening up on cupcakes..we're really rolling!!

Hog Solo

Quote from: HogBreath on December 03, 2016, 10:14:39 pm
Exactly right..we may have gotten drilled on the road at Minnesota, but we're back home now fattening up on cupcakes..we're really rolling!!

Indiana would beg to differ about our so called cupcakes.  Just admit to being a stuff fan and own up to it.

elksnort

Quote from: phadedhawg on December 03, 2016, 09:22:09 pm
I'm excited for Houston on Tuesday night.  Maybe a few more will be in the stands and we can get the building to rockin'.
[/good call

elksnort

Quote from: Hog Solo on December 03, 2016, 10:18:44 pm
Indiana would beg to differ about our so called cupcakes.  Just admit to being a stuff fan and own up to it.
Did we beat Indiana?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: elksnort on December 03, 2016, 10:38:42 pm
Did we beat Indiana?

Yes, UIPFW. Who then beat Indiana. So by extention, maybe we could.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hobhog

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: HogBreath on December 03, 2016, 10:14:39 pm
MMMMMmmmm  I love me some cupcakes!

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: zuko on December 03, 2016, 05:32:46 pm
What is so unrealistic about expecting tournaments after the regular season when the coach has been in place at least 5 years and hasn't really been consistent which is in line with our football program as well. All we hear are excuses and promises. What happened to the "forty minutes of hell" thing which was supposed to happen when Nolan Richardson engineered the firing of Pelphry and the hiring of Anderson. They are in trouble again. when the star or mainstay of the team has to be reminded after 3 years that his is the man. I think we a re being setup for another disappointing campaign,
---> Nolan engineered the firing of Pelphry and the hiring of Anderson  ---->

Whoa Nellie...there's a newsflash for you. Proof?

HognitiveDissonance

Are the former SwineSong?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 03, 2016, 05:38:01 pm
And we are saying less and less people give a darn enough to even consider it and those who do are saying "I've heard this before".

We were sold for 9 years on what Anderson would do at Arkansas.  Berated by Nolan supporters.  His successors failed miserably but even if they hadn't they had that Anderson shadow over them.  The UAB upset of UK, the E8 where they saw Hawg Ball.  Left us with no choice but to hire him.  And it has been a near complete failure.  BWA was supposed to return to close to what it was.  We were going to see Hawg Ball and see why it once was so effective in conf and NCAAT's.  Except none  of that darn has happened.  But you want us to give till the '18 class gets here or the '18 + Justice Hill.  Does it really matter at this point?  Just give Mike all the time it takes for things to come together for him to have some success for a few seasons, right?  That will work for a small portion of fans.  Many of those who forced this situation on us.

Forrest City Joe directly said, and I quote, 'Mike can have as long as he wants, or as long as he needs.'

Funny thing, when some people questioned that, he got mad and eventually left.

I give him credit for being honest enough to say exactly what's on some folks' minds, though. That's exactly how some feel. He's the only one direct enough to express it.

HognitiveDissonance

jboler96

Win a game or two? But not make the sweet sixteen?  Contradictory

ShadowHawg

Quote from: rude1 on December 03, 2016, 09:05:10 pm

Our fans are stupid but you are correct that they aren't responsible.

Winning on the road is hard. The Hogs have actually improved on the road under ma. This is the toughest p5 conference to win a road game in to boot.

I think it's laughable that a program that hired a guy with one year of hc experience to follow a legend and was the last program in the sec to give it's team a basketball practice facility has fans who believe expectations should be big times.

There are actually posters claiming anything less than a sweet 16  will be a bust. Other sleeping beauties who think top rated Arkansas kids committing is the norm when only 2 of the last 5 have, and others complain about expectations. You people are crazy.

If you think the last 5 years were bad, you must have missed the ten previous. Half way through that awful period, a top coach took the job and ran out the back door as fast as he could and that was BEFORE Pel took the reputation even further down.

I am just curious to hear why one of the most MEDIOCRE performing basketball programs of the last 2 decades is a. an easy fix, and b. attractive to a top caliber coach?

alaback

Quote from: Sivad on December 03, 2016, 09:17:58 pm

Agenda Alert!!!

Very surprised to see you post in Jump Ball after a win because I'm pretty sure you only show up after losses.   

rljjr

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 03, 2016, 10:45:22 pm
Yes, UIPFW. Who then beat Indiana. So by extention, maybe we could.

Not if it's on the road.

HoopS

Quote from: rljjr on December 04, 2016, 09:19:11 am
Not if it's on the road.
true. So we didn't lose to Minn either because it was there. Doesn't count. Of course, that also makes us 0-0 on the season because you can't count those road losses against the teams we played either.