Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RPI today

Started by Rawker, November 29, 2016, 12:24:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rawker

Well, it is pretty silly at this point, just like calling for jobs and heads after losing once in the 4th game of 30+, BUT the RPI snapshot as it relates to the Hogs today is....
Arkansas at #41
Minnesota drops to #20 after loss at #34 FSU (which is just above Arkansas STATE at #38).  That loss sucked, but once again....Minn was on the road.
UTA is #75
Fort Wayne is #167, which is totally wacked out and makes no sense by RPI logic, after having beaten #3 Indiana (Indiana was #1 in ESPN power rankings when they lost)
Southern Illinois, a team not near as good as FW, is half way UP the rankings at #95
MSM is #138
SFA is #302 (:O) - I had thought this would be a tough game, but I thought they just lost their coach, not their best player AND the coach.  Should cruise....should.
Houston is #44
Texas #162 huh?
North FL is #181
One other REAL danger on the schedule that no one is looking at is N. Dakota.  Currently #46, they made it to the 2nd round of NCAAs last year and battled with 2-seed Gonzaga until late.  Hogs could stumble there if not playing better than they've shown so far (just like they could lose to Houston - I'm counting Texas on the road as a predicted loss).  We will know a lot more about the current Bison team after tonight against Xavier.

Top 50 SEC teams are: Florida, South Carolina, Mississippi, Kentucky, Arkansas, Auburn.  Yes....crazily in that order.

razorhead94

Before last night's game we had an RPI of 12.  It moves drastically this time of year.  Need about 10 games to get any kind of gauge.  That being said, the teams Arkansas has played so far have good RPIs.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

LR_Matt

NaturalStateReb

The SEC's RPI is better than I would have thought at this stage (at least, according to ESPN).  We haven't really nailed down too many impressive OOC wins at this point in the season:

Florida--6
South Carolina--10
Kentucky--19
Ole Miss--22
Arkansas--23
Auburn--43
LSU--53

I really did not think we'd have 7 in the top 64, honestly.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

navyhog24

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 30, 2016, 01:19:14 pm
The SEC's RPI is better than I would have thought at this stage (at least, according to ESPN).  We haven't really nailed down too many impressive OOC wins at this point in the season:

Florida--6
South Carolina--10
Kentucky--19
Ole Miss--22
Arkansas--23
Auburn--43
LSU--53

I really did not think we'd have 7 in the top 64, honestly.

Well IPFW beating Indiana and UTA beating Texas is helping us I'm assuming.

razorhead94

RPI is 21 today but I expect to take quite a plunge as we play a team with an RPI of 268 tonight.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

Nosboar Accubond

Ouch... Good to see we got no top 25 votes but A State did...

LR_Matt

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on December 01, 2016, 09:02:44 pm
Ouch... Good to see we got no top 25 votes but A State did...

Can we play them now LOL

Rawker

Quote from: LR_Matt on December 01, 2016, 09:23:52 pm
Can we play them now LOL

It would help our RPI.  (smacks face)

micali

Checked espn.com today and we are at 30.

Rawker

Quote from: micali on December 02, 2016, 07:06:35 am
Checked espn.com today and we are at 30.

Pretty good after playing a team with a poor RPI!   Obviously need to keep winning the ones we should and hopefully find a way to beat #43 Houston and on the road at Texas - if we do that, we would be 2 victories ahead going into SEC of where I predicted pre-season (9-3).  Sweet!  BTW - is there a way to have the mods keep this thread on topic so I don't have to search for anything really pertinent to THIS TEAM and where THIS TEAM is at in THIS SEASON.  The conjecture about how Mike has screwed us and how things were and how things could have been and could be is so frickin' thick you can't find any information on the fact that the team is NOW PLAYING real games with what they have.  I just want to go to this thread and find that: our current RPI, our current stats (just factual, not negative-based), how teams we've played are playing against good opponents, and how teams we are going to play have looked against other significant teams, injuries on our roster, factual causes of missed-games, etc.  That's it.  PLEASE, all you folks who argue about coaching for sport - stay off this thread and let us use it for THIS ONE THING: facts that inform where THIS TEAM (not this program) is in this season.  You have your 1000 threads to circle the wagons....let people looking for pertinent facts have 1. 

Rawker

BTW - I really like RealTimeRPI, because you can click on a team, see the schedule, then click on any team in that schedule to find their current RPI, SOS, etc.  RealTime has Arkansas at 28, but it's still all screwy, of course, because Kentucky is right BEHIND us.  Interestly though, KY has a SOS of 158 compared to Arkansas' SOS of 71, this the placement of KY.  The FW wins and UTA wins really helped that SOS/RPI....maybe Austin Peay could figure out a way to beat Indiana too :P.

Rawker

As of today - 12/3 - Arkansas is 33 in ESPN RPI.
The opponent, Austin Peay, is 155.

Other SEC:
Florida - 6
South Carolina - 8
Kentucky - 20
Auburn - right behind Arkansas at 35
Ole Miss - 50

By the way - watched some other SEC team's games in recent days; Arkansas talent has improved (although not yet looking like the true difference makers we thought they'd be), but man, so has the rest of the SEC's talent.  Arkansas is going to have a very tough row to hoe this SEC season.  Having a winning record would be an achievement this year, considering that even teams like MSST, Mizzou, and Auburn (who had a few years we could rest on) have shown moments of being very dangerous, not just against UA but in CBB as a whole.  That goes on top of the obvious teams the Hogs are going to struggle with, IMO (SC, FL, KY, UGA, MISS).

But back on topic - 10 of the 14 SEC teams are currently in the top 100 RPI.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Adam Stokes

Quote from: jbcarol on December 06, 2016, 03:05:11 pm
https://twitter.com/jacobvarner14/status/806198960750739458

That's a weird post, to have five teams in the Top 25 and the poster has "only" next to it. It'll be a good day in the SEC when we can get five teams seeded 6 or better.

Tonight has some close matchups for the SEC. The conference is currently neck and neck with the Big 10 in projected RPI and far ahead of the Pac-12. Here are how the SEC teams are expected to fare tonight.

(53%) Arkansas vs Houston

(97%) Tennessee vs Presbyterian
(93%) Vanderbilt vs High Point
(86%) Missouri vs Miami (OH)
(36%) Florida n Duke

3.55 Expected wins.

Danny J

Yep..."only" lol...well that is tops with the B1G. You know...the conference year in and year out winning titles...

Rawker

RPI is of course still all screwy, but the Hogs are at #16 in the RPI as of today.  If the Hogs can hold serve going into the Texas game (which at the start of the season I counted as a loss), they'll be looking very good going into conference (I expect to hold in the 30s after the RPI gets more sorted), and with the conference holding up much better than last year, losses to SEC teams won't be as problematic in terms of RPI.  Last year, going into conference, I could swear we had teams in the low 200s.  Almost every one is in the Top100 so far this year, so wins will be very good and losses won't be so bad.  Hogs still need to figure out a way to scratch out 10 wins in conference (if you're going to say "if the Hogs can't win 10 games, the program/coach is blah blah blah"....just please do this thread a favor and take it to another....just trying to find a clean place to talk about RPI and current needs to get into the tourney besides a new coach, etc), and it will be harder to get those 10 than it was to get 9 last year with a lesser team - the conference has picked it up a little talent-wise, so that's my reasoning there.  But they need the 10 non-cons, 10 cons, and at least 1 SECT win to hold their RPI and have a decent resume.  @Texas would obviously be huge, and if they win that, @OKST would not be a necessary non-con win.

By the way....noticed Minn is #7 RPI and Houston got knocked out of the Top50, where they were before last night's game.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: Rawker on December 07, 2016, 03:37:44 pm
RPI is of course still all screwy, but the Hogs are at #16 in the RPI as of today.  If the Hogs can hold serve going into the Texas game (which at the start of the season I counted as a loss), they'll be looking very good going into conference (I expect to hold in the 30s after the RPI gets more sorted), and with the conference holding up much better than last year, losses to SEC teams won't be as problematic in terms of RPI.  Last year, going into conference, I could swear we had teams in the low 200s.  Almost every one is in the Top100 so far this year, so wins will be very good and losses won't be so bad.  Hogs still need to figure out a way to scratch out 10 wins in conference (if you're going to say "if the Hogs can't win 10 games, the program/coach is blah blah blah"....just please do this thread a favor and take it to another....just trying to find a clean place to talk about RPI and current needs to get into the tourney besides a new coach, etc), and it will be harder to get those 10 than it was to get 9 last year with a lesser team - the conference has picked it up a little talent-wise, so that's my reasoning there.  But they need the 10 non-cons, 10 cons, and at least 1 SECT win to hold their RPI and have a decent resume.  @Texas would obviously be huge, and if they win that, @OKST would not be a necessary non-con win.

By the way....noticed Minn is #7 RPI and Houston got knocked out of the Top50, where they were before last night's game.

RPI Forecast has us finishing the OOC with an RPI of 19, and that's assuming we lose another game before conference play starts. We'll get knocked down a few spots after we play tonight because North Florida is 1-7 against D1A teams, build it should continue to build after that going into conference play. Could finish Top 15 if we beat Texas and hold serve at home.

WooPigFarm

Lunardis latest Bracketology has us in too! 

hobhog

I just don't think it matters one bit this time of season.

We have to win games in conference, and on the road, for us to get in Madness.

PORKULATOR

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Rawker

Funny thing today.  ESPN's RPI rankings only show one RPI "tie" between two teams in the top 50.  And those two teams ARE (drum roll).....
Arkansas and Arkansas State.  At #32
Of course, Arkansas drops after beating UNF.
As one of you noted, this rankings are mostly useless until the conference gets going.  However, if those SEC teams now in the Top 50 could stay there (I believe Auburn and Ole Miss were below Arkansas last week, but are now above), the SEC wins will obviously be even better than last year and losses would not be bad, in terms of RPI at least....but the Hogs still have to win 10-11 SEC games to get into the tourney.  That's all there is to it.  The Hogs have gotten through most of the games that would be deadly losses in terms of RPI (before the season, knowing what SFA and UTA and FW had done in recent years, I thought they would lose to at least one of those), so it's really time to be concerned about how many they can pick off in the SEC.  That's all there is to it.  A Texas win would certainly help though.  If they could figure out a way to buck history and win that on the road, the OKST game basically becomes an exhibition that only helps but does not hurt, IMO. 

GuvHog

Quote from: Rawker on December 12, 2016, 05:14:15 pm
Funny thing today.  ESPN's RPI rankings only show one RPI "tie" between two teams in the top 50.  And those two teams ARE (drum roll).....
As one of you noted, this rankings are mostly useless until the conference gets going.  However, if those SEC teams now in the Top 50 could stay there (I believe Auburn and Ole Miss were below Arkansas last week, but are now above), the SEC wins will obviously be even better than last year and losses would not be bad, in terms of RPI at least....but the Hogs still have to win 10-11 SEC games to get into the tourney.  That's all there is to it.  The Hogs have gotten through most of the games that would be deadly losses in terms of RPI (before the season, knowing what SFA and UTA and FW had done in recent years, I thought they would lose to at least one of those), so it's really time to be concerned about how many they can pick off in the SEC.  That's all there is to it.  A Texas win would certainly help though.  If they could figure out a way to buck history and win that on the road, the OKST game basically becomes an exhibition that only helps but does not hurt, IMO. 

In my humble opinion, coming out of Stillwater with a victory over Oklahoma State is much bigger than coming out of Houston with a win over Texas. That being said, I'm a greedy Hog fan and I want both wins!
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Rawker

Quote from: GuvHog on December 12, 2016, 06:31:35 pm
In my humble opinion, coming out of Stillwater with a victory over Oklahoma State is much bigger than coming out of Houston with a win over Texas. That being said, I'm a greedy Hog fan and I want both wins!

Yes - it WOULD be big, and it would be awesome.  But that wasn't really my point.  I think OSU will keep a higher RPI, therefore if we can beat Texas on the road and win 11 SEC games, losing to OSU wouldn't be the difference in NOT getting in.  It won't knock our RPI or the resume that much to lose to them on the road, unless they spin out of control up to that point.  But yeah....if the Hogs could beat Texas and OSU and win 10-11 SEC games, then get your suit for the dance, cuz they're going!  Not counting both of those though, as I look over the schedule.  Getting ONE would be a big surprise based on the last decade's history.  They'll need one of them for the dance tho, IMO...unless they win more than 11 in the SEC.  Having said that, I suppose this is my formula for a bid:
1) Win the remaining cuppies (NDSU / SHSU)
2) Beat Texas OR OSU on the road
3) Win 10 games in SEC if #2 is done
4) Win 12 games in SEC if #2 is not done
5) Win 2 SECT games if #3 pans out
6) Win 1 SECT game is #2 is done plus 12 SEC wins.
7) If Texas and OSU are both losses and Hogs get 10 wins in SEC, they may have to get to SECT finals.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rawker on December 12, 2016, 05:14:15 pm

???
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rawker

December 12, 2016, 10:32:40 pm #26 Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 10:48:16 pm by Rawker
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 12, 2016, 08:48:11 pm
???

Well, I did...but I thought those teams would all be tougher (they had real post-season success in the last 2 seasons), and I was considering the fact that the Hogs had 7 newcomers and there would be some cohesion pains.  Plus, just the nature of CBB....it happens.  I think UTA was indeed a tough team, and FW was certainly tough enough to beat Indiana, and thus help our RPI, but SFA did not survive the exit of their coach and their best player; I wasn't aware before the season that they had lost both.  Point is, the Hogs won all those, and are exceeding my personal expectations by a small bit.  So....cool!

Edit:  Okay....maybe not REAL post-season success for all of them, but SFA got to 2nd Round, FW was an NIT team, and UTA was a 24 win CIT team. 

HoopS

You really shouldn't have to explain. Those teams can and have beaten teams of our caliber. Now that we've beaten them, they'll be sold off as easy wins. But all of those teams and add UNF into that mix, can beat better teams than ours.