Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When will Hogville learn

Started by Piggfoot, September 29, 2017, 09:53:55 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

So, Nick Saban is probably the best coach of our generation, maybe of all time. If coaching trumps having the best players, he would win at UCA at the same clip as he does at bama.

If bama and UCA switched rosters, who would have the most successful program?

LRrazorback

Quote from: Piggfoot on September 29, 2017, 09:53:55 am
It is not the coach but the players. If you got'em you can be good if not you're gonna be mediocre. Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino were/are horrible people and both benefited from the best players Arkansas has produced in the last 20 years. Just because we had a better record when they were here, it does not mean those records were 100% attributed to them. They won some great games but they lost some from lack of coaching as well.
Remember Reggie Fish? Remember failure to scoop and score?  Those were lost from a lack of coaching.
I know some of you haters are going to say but they brought those players here and I say BS. I will give you that some were not going to play for Nutt and came to Arkansas because of Petrino's offense. But that offense would not have been squat without the players. You say what about Petrino's Heisman player? Well I say just look at Louisville and the BB program. That stuff can't be isolated only to the BB program.

Probably the worst thread ever started on HV.

Congratulations!!

jgphillips3

Serious question.  If CBB was the coach in 2010 and 2011 with all the same players, does he win 10 & 11 games?  The answer is HELL no!  There were several games in that stretch we could have lost to mediocre teams but BP freaking willed that team to win and drove them to the finish line.  2012 would have been a minimum 8 to 9 win season if not better.  Talent matters but coaching matters too.

hawganatic

If this is true then why do we even bother to pay a coach 4+ mill dollars?  If it's ALL about the players then why don't we go get some scrub coach on the cheap and roll the ball out there?

hawganatic

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 30, 2017, 06:55:28 am
So, Nick Saban is probably the best coach of our generation, maybe of all time. If coaching trumps having the best players, he would win at UCA at the same clip as he does at bama.

If bama and UCA switched rosters, who would have the most successful program?

You word this like it's an either/or thing.  To have a program like Alabama you have to have great recruiting AND great coaching.  Bama has both.  Under Petrino we had great coaching, a handful of great players, and the rest of the roster was decent to good.  Petrino made it work because he's a great head coach.

With Beliema we have decent to good players, but a head coach that can't get the most out of what he does have.  Hence our current situation.

And to answer your question, if you put Saban at UCA, you have have an extremely successful program for a school with the resources it has.  It's about getting the most of what you can out of what you have.

PonderinHog

Quote from: hawganatic on September 30, 2017, 10:31:52 am
If this is true then why do we even bother to pay a coach 4+ mill dollars?  If it's ALL about the players then why don't we go get some scrub coach on the cheap and roll the ball out there?
Smile...

Hogsmo Kramer

Spare the inept coach, blame the players.

Classic.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

arlhog

Petrino wins everywhere he goes.   I guess that's just luck.     

lakecityhog

The stupid in this thread is almost beyond belief! Some of these guys sound like 4th graders, "What if the moon melted?" "What if Bear Bryant came alive would he be any good as a zombie?"