Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Summer Camps

Started by HogNDas, May 03, 2016, 06:53:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HogNDas

what is this all about?  I see ASU & Ole Piss involved...do we have anything of this nature scheduled for Summer 2016?
https://twitter.com/YancyPorter/status/727294875176148992/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Pig in the Pokey

Ours will be at Jerry World.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

HogNDas

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 03, 2016, 07:59:20 pm
Ours will be at Jerry World.
GREAT!...I think that TRUMPS all (not a political endorsement....just an opinion!)

dhizzle

So are they partnering with teams they recruit against? I thought the idea was a bigger school host a camp and they invite smaller schools to check on lower caliber players.

presidenthog

Quote from: HogNDas on May 03, 2016, 08:04:50 pm
GREAT!...I think that TRUMPS all (not a political endorsement....just an opinion!)
I agree make America great again

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

There is already one set at Florida Atlantic University where Charlie Partridge (our former DL coach) is currently head coach. Easy access to Miami kids!
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AugustaHog

That just makes too much sense.  CBB and Partridge go way back.  We aren't going to be competing for kids, so they can take what we don't want and still do well. 

HogNDas

http://twitter.com/Coach_Hall7/status/727514785265422337/photo/1 

WHen did all these multi school summer camps start happening?

jgphillips3

Setting aside our interest in recruiting hotbeds, these camps are great for kids who can't afford to travel all over or who don't have parental support to be able to be seen by a bunch of different schools at one time.  I'm very much for these. 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

I see that these camps are set up to be cash cows. Charging $40 a player.

I thought the reason for the camps were for poor kids to be seen by coaches at bigger schools that  the kids didn't have the means to travel to camps.

Hope this doesn't become an AAU type racket.

I also hope our university sees this as a huge marketing opportunity and makes the camps free for prospectsand puts some money into these things and doesn't turn them into another revenue stream for the coaches. It doesn't cost much to rent out a field for a day and to print up some cool Nike camp t-shirts to give the campers.

Done right these satellite camps can be very pro-Hog and nice thing for the state of Arkansas.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Pig in the Pokey

I see us doing the miami camp with CP and the Jerry World camp. Wouldn't mind one in New Orleans and Houston, either.

Maybe Illinois and New Jersey as well. (Rutgers)
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

ricepig

TuffTusk

Ol Jimmy is gonna be close
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: TuffTusk on May 04, 2016, 11:29:23 am
Ol Jimmy is gonna be close
that's hilarious. That is hardly a football hotbed!
@Slackaveli

TuffTusk

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 04, 2016, 11:31:50 am
that's hilarious. That is hardly a football hotbed!

Kinda what I was thinking as well.  At least the kids will get a $25 t-shirt
Making the world a better place one frosty mug at a time

AugustaHog

$40 isn't bad if the kids are getting something out of this, whether that be instruction or exposure.  When you look at what kids pay to go to camps all over or have services "market" them with videos, it's a heck of a lot more than $40.

AugustaHog

Whether you like this or not, our butts need to be posted up in 4 places immediately:  So. Florida, Houston area, Dallas area, and New Orleans or thereabouts in LA.  Numerous kids show us a little interest, but never make the trek to our campus to see the place and talk with our coaches.  This allows our staff, which seems to have a ton of personality, to get face-time with some of these kids.  If we can convert that to campus visits, we will be in business.

Adam Stokes

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on May 04, 2016, 09:37:43 am

I thought the reason for the camps were for poor kids to be seen by coaches at bigger schools that  the kids didn't have the means to travel to camps.

Well, $40 seems like a whole bunch less than it would cost for travel expenses to the university, especially the out of state ones.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 04, 2016, 10:21:33 am
I see us doing the miami camp with CP and the Jerry World camp. Wouldn't mind one in New Orleans and Houston, either.

Maybe Illinois and New Jersey as well. (Rutgers)
Quote from: AugustaHog on May 04, 2016, 01:26:14 pm
Whether you like this or not, our butts need to be posted up in 4 places immediately:  So. Florida, Houston area, Dallas area, and New Orleans or thereabouts in LA.  Numerous kids show us a little interest, but never make the trek to our campus to see the place and talk with our coaches.  This allows our staff, which seems to have a ton of personality, to get face-time with some of these kids.  If we can convert that to campus visits, we will be in business.
i guess i agree
@Slackaveli

AugustaHog

I don't see this helping the marquee programs nearly as much as a mid-level program like Arkansas.  You see kids take unofficials to places like Bama, UF,
UGA, etc. all the time.  We have to work a lot harder to get kids to visit us face to face, especially from south LA, south TX, and FL, which seems to be the out of state areas we want to start recruiting.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on May 04, 2016, 09:37:43 am

Hope this doesn't become an AAU type racket.

I also hope our university sees this as a huge marketing opportunity and makes the camps free for prospectsand puts some money into these things and doesn't turn them into another revenue stream for the coaches. It doesn't cost much to rent out a field for a day and to print up some cool Nike camp t-shirts to give the campers.

Done right these satellite camps can be very pro-Hog and nice thing for the state of Arkansas.

Are these camps invite only?   I don't think $40 is a lot of money compared to getting a scholarship worth thousands.  I am afraid if they do not charge something  there will be too many kids showing up who should not be there. 

HogNDas

Quote from: AugustaHog on May 04, 2016, 03:19:51 pm
I don't see this helping the marquee programs nearly as much as a mid-level program like Arkansas.  You see kids take unofficials to places like Bama, UF,
UGA, etc. all the time.  We have to work a lot harder to get kids to visit us face to face, especially from south LA, south TX, and FL, which seems to be the out of state areas we want to start recruiting.
You need to be BANISHED from this site!!!!  Areyoukiddingme!!!!  We are an UPPER LEVEL elite program....NOT a mid-level!  I take offense to your post!!!!!   :razorback: :razorback:

draftkings33

If anyone has a list of satellite summer camps I would appreciate it.  Thanks

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: AugustaHog on May 04, 2016, 03:19:51 pm
excuse me, sir? surely you mean it helps out  programs in less fertile recruiting grounds the most, right? Mid-level program??? in the SEC West that doesn't even exist.
@Slackaveli

chiefsfan

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 04, 2016, 03:45:01 pm
Are these camps invite only?   I don't think $40 is a lot of money compared to getting a scholarship worth thousands.  I am afraid if they do not charge something  there will be too many kids showing up who should not be there. 

I know you guys are new to Satellite camps because the SEC banned them, but here's the background on the rules

1.  They must be open to all recruits, cannot be invite only.  (That goes with camps on Campus as well)
2.  If a school travels out of state, they must partner with a school from that state that acts as a host.  (Ex:  Samford is hosting a camp in Birmingham featuring 15 FBS Football programs.

3.  There must be a fee for the camp, set by the host of the camp

A camp you guys hosted on your own in Fayetteville would bring roughly 200 athletes to campus.  You can't in your wildest dreams hope to offer more than a few players from that list.  That means 190 plus leave without a scholarship offer.

However, Satellite camps offer you guys the potential to invite other schools to assist with the same camp.  Those 190 prospects with no hope of ever getting an offer from you guys now have a chance of walking out with an offer to a UCA or Henderson State etc.

It was the reason the satellite camp ban was stupid to begin with.  If you only let schools recruit on their campus, it prevents the opportunity for a player to really get noticed.  That no star recruit with no FBS Offers is still camping at Arkansas just to say he did, regardless if he knows he'll never get an offer.  If there were no satellite camps, he'd then have to travel school to school in hopes of finding an offer.   Now he can simply travel to Little Rock and get seen by every single FBS, FCS, and D2 school in the state of Arkansas, increasing the chance that a Harding, who might not have seen the kid originally decides to offer, or invite him to their own camp.

Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

jjdlc

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 05, 2016, 05:32:28 pm
I know you guys are new to Satellite camps because the SEC banned them, but here's the background on the rules

1.  They must be open to all recruits, cannot be invite only.  (That goes with camps on Campus as well)
2.  If a school travels out of state, they must partner with a school from that state that acts as a host.  (Ex:  Samford is hosting a camp in Birmingham featuring 15 FBS Football programs.

3.  There must be a fee for the camp, set by the host of the camp

A camp you guys hosted on your own in Fayetteville would bring roughly 200 athletes to campus.  You can't in your wildest dreams hope to offer more than a few players from that list.  That means 190 plus leave without a scholarship offer.

However, Satellite camps offer you guys the potential to invite other schools to assist with the same camp.  Those 190 prospects with no hope of ever getting an offer from you guys now have a chance of walking out with an offer to a UCA or Henderson State etc.

It was the reason the satellite camp ban was stupid to begin with.  If you only let schools recruit on their campus, it prevents the opportunity for a player to really get noticed.  That no star recruit with no FBS Offers is still camping at Arkansas just to say he did, regardless if he knows he'll never get an offer.  If there were no satellite camps, he'd then have to travel school to school in hopes of finding an offer.   Now he can simply travel to Little Rock and get seen by every single FBS, FCS, and D2 school in the state of Arkansas, increasing the chance that a Harding, who might not have seen the kid originally decides to offer, or invite him to their own camp.

100% agree.  The only problem I ever had with it was the SEC not doing it while everyone else was.  In some ways, I think the reason the ban was voted for this time was other schools wanted to keep the SEC from doing it, then they later realized they had shot themselves in the foot.

Seebs

FYI - Lake Nixon was awful.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

chiefsfan

Quote from: jjdlc on May 05, 2016, 06:51:08 pm
100% agree.  The only problem I ever had with it was the SEC not doing it while everyone else was.  In some ways, I think the reason the ban was voted for this time was other schools wanted to keep the SEC from doing it, then they later realized they had shot themselves in the foot.

PAC 12 and Sun Belt reps actually voted against their own league's wishes for some strange reason.  If they had voted like they were supposed to, it would have never passed.

Arkansas State pulls over 90 percent of our signees in a year from satellite camps we hold in places like Oxford and Tuscaloosa.  I'm very partial to keeping them for that reason
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Richard Davenport

Quote from: Adam Stokes on May 04, 2016, 01:56:27 pm
Well, $40 seems like a whole bunch less than it would cost for travel expenses to the university, especially the out of state ones.

31to6

Quote from: chiefsfan on May 05, 2016, 05:32:28 pm

It works in reverse too. Those satellite camps are very efficient way for the staff to observe a lot of players--many of whom may not have a lot of tape or a high rating.

Obviously part of the story at Arkansas is pulling in more of the contested, high star-rating, athletes. But an equally important part is being able to evaluate a lot of players so that we can find players that are right for our system and match up with the intangibles our staff is looking for.

More chance to evaluate more players = a better set of player from which to choose.

I see no downside for Arkansas.

hookshog

These camps are great. As the father of a senior-to-be, these camps will give him a lot more exposure at one time, while saving me $$$.

secneahog

I think it's great for Arkansas in so many ways. Mainly because Bielema gets the recruiting side of college football.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

HogNDas

May 08, 2016, 06:22:50 pm #32 Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 06:58:49 pm by HogNDas
Quote from: 31to6 on May 07, 2016, 04:44:47 pm
It works in reverse too. Those satellite camps are very efficient way for the staff to observe a lot of players--many of whom may not have a lot of tape or a high rating.

Obviously part of the story at Arkansas is pulling in more of the contested, high star-rating, athletes. But an equally important part is being able to evaluate a lot of players so that we can find players that are right for our system and match up with the intangibles our staff is looking for.

More chance to evaluate more players = a better set of player from which to choose.

I see no downside for Arkansas.

Agree...in fact, I believe it is very beneficial to us cause AR high school players do not get the scouting service PUB they deserve.....We have great players too!!!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: secneahog on May 07, 2016, 10:32:05 pm
I think it's great for Arkansas in so many ways. Mainly because Bielema gets the recruiting side of college football.

Yes, he gets it and he embraces it because he likes doing it and is good at it.  I hope we can find a number of diamonds each year out there that we normally would not have been able to sign.

HogNDas

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on May 08, 2016, 06:33:15 pm
Yes, he gets it and he embraces it because he likes doing it and is good at it.  I hope we can find a number of diamonds each year out there that we normally would not have been able to sign.
That remains to be seen, but no doubt he is getting BETTER since he got in the SEC....  We're on more players, better players, and EARLIER than ever...fast learner!!!

AugustaHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on May 05, 2016, 01:19:37 pm
excuse me, sir? surely you mean it helps out  programs in less fertile recruiting grounds the most, right? Mid-level program??? in the SEC West that doesn't even exist.
Well, if we are being real with ourselves, we've had about 3-4 good to very good years since coming into the SEC.  I don't think we are the Vandy or UK of the college football world, but we are certainly not on the same level as some of our other SEC brethren like Bama, UF, UGA, or LSU.  This is purely what people think of us outside of our fanbase and team.  We have all the tools to change this, but as of now, we are not elite.  Look at a team like Oregon for example.  They were the lowest of the low prior to the Joey Heisman teams.  They have since played some big boy football and are recognized as an upper echelon team.  We are nowhere near as bad as some of those distant Oregon teams, but we haven't had any consistent winning since the Hatfield era.  It's not that I don't want it to be otherwise, I'm just realistic about what we are today.

ricepig

Quote from: HogNDas on May 08, 2016, 07:00:13 pm
That remains to be seen, but no doubt he is getting BETTER since he got in the SEC....  We're on more players, better players, and EARLIER than ever...fast learner!!!

https://twitter.com/SportsTalkwBo/status/729758499903692800

Seminole Indian

Their have been a lot of great teams on the hill made up mostly of those types of players, especially from Arkansas, so guess they are just returning to their roots.  They sure snatched some in-state diamonds A-State thought they squirreled away the last few years.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

draftkings33

I think these camps are great.  Coaches will get to see a lot more players that dont have the funds to travel everywhere.  I really wish we would start a policy no offering players with full beards in 7th grade.  It is coming back to bite us. 

ricepig

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 09, 2016, 04:50:46 pm
I think these camps are great.  Coaches will get to see a lot more players that dont have the funds to travel everywhere.  I really wish we would start a policy no offering players with full beards in 7th grade.  It is coming back to bite us. 

Please name all the 7th graders we've offered, lol.....

draftkings33

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 05:03:30 pm
We've offered a few when they were sophmores and they had full beards in the 7th grade.  If you have a full beard in 7th grade you will dominate jun high ball and some high school ball if you are just a decent athlete.  I'm not gonna name names but one is a qb on the hill right now and is in over his head big time. 

ricepig

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 09, 2016, 05:59:26 pm
We've offered a few when they were sophmores and they had full beards in the 7th grade.  If you have a full beard in 7th grade you will dominate jun high ball and some high school ball if you are just a decent athlete.  I'm not gonna name names but one is a qb on the hill right now and is in over his head big time. 

Well, there seems to have been several to offer these kids. Fournette looks like he's 35, should schools have offered him in the 7th grade?

theFlyingHog

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 10:07:39 pm
Well, there seems to have been several to offer these kids. Fournette looks like he's 35, should schools have offered him in the 7th grade?
Les Miles was still in diapers when Fournette was in 7th grade

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ricepig on May 09, 2016, 05:03:30 pm
Corliss
@Slackaveli

ricepig

draftkings33

draftkings33

Once again I didnt say we offered kids while they were in the 7th grade.  I said we have offered a few kids early like in 10th grade and they had full beards in 7th grade which left them little upside potential.  It's amazing how many hall of fame NFL and NBA players couldnt do anything in 10th grade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: draftkings33 on May 09, 2016, 05:59:26 pm

I'm not going to name names, I'm just going to tell you everything you need to know to be able to figure out which player I'm trashing.  :puke:

tophawg19

really need in the Georgia region . we always get interest from a few hopefully this would let us start winning some more of them. especially the running backs
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

HogNDas

We've offered a few when they were sophomores and they had full beards in the 7th grade.  If you have a full beard in 7th grade you will dominate jun high ball and some high school ball if you are just a decent athlete.  I'm not gonna name names but one is a qb on the hill right now and is in over his head big time.

Quote from: PorkRinds on May 10, 2016, 01:06:24 pm
I'm not going to name names, I'm just going to tell you everything you need to know to be able to figure out which player I'm trashing.  :puke:

Kick him OUT!!!!