Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not a very smart thing to say John Calapari

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, May 21, 2015, 11:15:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

FBREW000

disagree... It is brilliant. 

He continues recruiting even on this stage...

What recruit doesn't want to hear this, see this?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: FBREW000 on May 21, 2015, 11:20:47 pm

Your correct if being disingenuous to the Kentucky fan's who's focus is national title or bust.  Recruits looking to fast-track to pay day's (outside of boosters) have bought into this.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

TrueBlue

Even the great Mike Krzyzewski has bought into the idea of "one and done" and now practices that philosophy - that is how he won this past year.

Hogfaniam

I'm less concerned about players 1-8 than about players 9-13.  Those 8 could basically go anywhere and make it to the NBA.  There is nothing Cal personally does for 1-8 that makes them any better players.  So long as players 9-13 graduate with degrees that are useful and go onto successful careers, then Cal has done something he can brag about.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

BigSexyHog

It's funny how Kentucky fans think Coach Cal cares about the Kentucky program.....
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

Thepigdoctor

Agreed, it's typical recruiting snake oil from the best in the business. Funny though, he hasn't landed a single spring recruiting target.

onebadrubi

Well of course he says that, because he didn't win a title.  He's not going to say the goal was to win a title, we lost and we were defeated.  I don't really see anything here to get all worked up about. 

COCHISE

Sounds like something a coach that didn't win the National Championship but had 8 players drafted would say. Had UK won the NC, I'm sure he would be stating that his goal all season was to win the NC.

McKdaddy

Quote from: COCHISE on May 22, 2015, 08:43:21 am
Sounds like something a coach that didn't win the National Championship but had 8 players drafted would say. Had UK won the NC, I'm sure he would be stating that his goal all season was to win the NC.

Agreed. Nothing to see here.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

latrops

Meh.  Much ado about nothing.  People are interpreting it as though getting players drafted and winning the national championship are mutually exclusive.  Cal didn't say the ONLY goal was to get players drafted, he said that was the top goal...meaning that there are other goals as well.  Cal's success, and therefore Kentucky's success under Cal, is predicated on securing top recruits every year.  The NBA message is what most appeals to top recruits. If he continues to roster a bunch of future NBA picks, they will continue to be national title contenders.  That's all you can really ask.

TrueBlue

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Kevin on May 22, 2015, 01:25:32 pm
He is recruiting, that is all

That's true, but it doesn't make him any less of a d-bag.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on May 22, 2015, 03:09:39 pm
That's true, but it doesn't make him any less of a d-bag.

I read some of the KY bball forums and they don't seem overly concerned.  Their opinion seems to be "keep winning and you can say whatever you want about your goals".

gmarv

greasy_corner

Quote from: FBREW000 on May 21, 2015, 11:20:47 pm

Because you tell the recruits this in private, not while getting your ego stroked in public.  His ego will get him. 

jbcarol

Fans dream, too

John Calipari's comments about UK's top preseason goal being eight players drafted in 2015 struck a nerve for Rick from Nicholasville.

Quote"I soundly applaud Cal and his desire to see his players improve and fully take advantage of their talents," Music wrote in an email. "No question but that he has a track record of recruiting great talent and then using his contacts to get that talent into the NBA. ..."

Calipari noted how Kentucky fans want him to make national championships the over-arching goal. "But my mission is bigger than that," the UK coach said.

Music suggested that the mission should be bigger than placing players in a NBA Draft.

"His mission could be much, much BIGGER," Music wrote. "Helping the lesser AND the extremely talented players AND the fans, who pay him, reach their dreams. Literally everybody could win."

Then Music added, "I guess that would be too much to ask of the $8 million/year man?

"It is too bad Cal isn't up to accepting the responsibility for helping ALL of Kentucky reach our dreams. No, we can't ask for a championship every year but it would be nice for him to show some remorse for letting one, that was clearly in reach, get away.

"Honestly, when you use the phrase like 'My mission is bigger than that,' that is deliberately antagonistic to the commonwealth of Kentucky," Tony Kornheiser said on PTI. "... Win every game. That's why I'm paying you $8 million. Win every game."

If you expect Calipari to apologize, you don't know the UK coach very well. He doubled down in a follow-up tweet in which he dismissed those who think winning is more important than being picked in a NBA Draft as "traditionalists."

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

MountieDawg

Quote from: Hogfaniam on May 22, 2015, 06:58:31 am
I'm less concerned about players 1-8 than about players 9-13.  Those 8 could basically go anywhere and make it to the NBA.  There is nothing Cal personally does for 1-8 that makes them any better players.  So long as players 9-13 graduate with degrees that are useful and go onto successful careers, then Cal has done something he can brag about.

They do graduate.. #8 graduated in 3 years and is coming back for a seniors season.  What would a Kentucky fan be pissed.. In 6 years he has a NC, NC runner up, 2 more Final Fours and an Elite 8. He also took over a Billy Gillespie dumpster fire.
SEC!

BigBlueHell

Quote from: MountieDawg on May 24, 2015, 05:30:42 pm
They do graduate.. #8 graduated in 3 years and is coming back for a seniors season.  What would a Kentucky fan be pissed.. In 6 years he has a NC, NC runner up, 2 more Final Fours and an Elite 8. He also took over a Billy Gillespie dumpster fire.

You would be surprised...There is always something for a UK to be pissed about.  Mostly that they always think that the sporting world hates them and they don't understand why.  They have a horrible case of everybody loves Duke and hates UK syndrome.  That's all besides the fact that they are consumed with winning the NC every year.

Back on topic, that was a recruiting ploy.  Coach Cal has stated several times that the platoon system is done and never to be used again.  That was also said because he was missing on so many targets in the spring.
My 2 favorite teams...my Arkansas Razorbacks and whoever is playing Kentucky.

Hoggish1