Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dustin Thomas Commits to Hogs

Started by chiefhawg, May 03, 2015, 12:37:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2015, 08:57:26 am
I think Hogs fans will be much more fond of Thomas than they are of JaCorey Williams (who I think he will replace).
Good call, hadn't made the Jacorey connection yet.

TrueBlue

Quote from: Swinesong1 on May 03, 2015, 08:12:34 pm
Well someone as smart as you should know he wouldn't be able to replace 70 points while redshirting.

Did I say next year? Did I time stamp it?

Keep searching for why this is a good direction.

We are grasping at straws. Call it what it is instead of being "cute".

TrueBlue

I think Hogs fans will be much more fond of Thomas than they are of JaCorey Williams (who I think he will replace).

THAT makes everyone feel better. lol

Swinesong1

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 04, 2015, 09:10:54 am
Did I say next year? Did I time stamp it?

Keep searching for why this is a good direction.

We are grasping at straws. Call it what it is instead of being "cute".
So you're already saying we'll lose 70 points after the 2015-16 season?  You're hilarious!

Hawg Red

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 04, 2015, 09:11:44 am
THAT makes everyone feel better. lol

It should.

For all this faults, JaCorey Williams brings positive things to the table. If we're improving upon that, shouldn't everyone feel better? A fan should want to see the players in the program improving at all levels, role players included. I feel like we made an upgrade at a role player position with the transfer of Dustin Thomas.

The_Iceman

Dustin Thomas and Coty Clarke are both listed at 6'7" and around 230lbs. Coty went from shooting 19 3's his first year here to 58 his second. Dustin at Colorado has attempted 52 in two seasons.

Thomas was a very well respected 3-pt shooter coming out of high school, and his video confirms the kid has an excellent stroke. I wouldn't be surprised if the way we use can use undersized PF's (think Powell, Clarke, and Harris) will allow Thomas to really showcase his talent more than he was able to at CU.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2015, 09:15:42 am
It should.

For all this faults, JaCorey Williams brings positive things to the table. If we're improving upon that, shouldn't everyone feel better? A fan should want to see the players in the program improving at all levels, role players included. I feel like we made an upgrade at a role player position with the transfer of Dustin Thomas.

Jacory Williams is too soft on defense. Guys with any strength use the step through move on him in the post. I'm  with HawgRed on Thomas being better. I will take 5 points and 3 rebounds without the bonehead turnovers.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on May 04, 2015, 09:30:37 am
Jacory Williams is too soft on defense. Guys with any strength use the step through move on him in the post. I'm  with HawgRed on Thomas being better. I will take 5 points and 3 rebounds without the bonehead turnovers.
Plus, the most overlooked thing in the history of Hogville: He can still improve! He has 18 months to get better. If he's motivated, he will do just that.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: BBsTheMan on May 04, 2015, 09:35:06 am
Plus, the most overlooked thing in the history of Hogville: He can still improve! He has 18 months to get better. If he's motivated, he will do just that.

Yeah look at Frank Kaminsky his first two years at Wisconsin. +1

PonderinHog

I'm still holding out hope for Jacorey.  This is it, though.  If he doesn't get it done this year, I'm done.

hogsanity

So everyone is stoked about signing a guy that already played two years at CO, and did not do much, plus he has to sit a year?  Guess everyone really is going to hibernate for the 15/16 season, and put all their hopes on a big run in 16/17.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2015, 11:35:45 am
So everyone is stoked about signing a guy that already played two years at CO, and did not do much, plus he has to sit a year?  Guess everyone really is going to hibernate for the 15/16 season, and put all their hopes on a big run in 16/17.

I would say it's being looked at as a positive addition. Not sure the general tone is "stoked." I think everyone understands Thomas is a likely role player, but fans are just being welcoming because we have a new addition. The staff has had success with transfers thus far. Obviously his time at Colorado didn't go as anyone involved had hoped, but that happens sometimes. It's reasonable to argue that he was not utilized as intended (something that could also be argued about Nick Babb). There seemed to have been a logjam at his position there, and he found a better spot for himself at Arkansas. It was expected all along that the staff would sign a transfer that would have to sit out. They couldn't generate any real interest from Nigel Williams-Goss and missed on Nick King. We're losing 4 seniors of this coming team, so it will be nice to have at least one addition who brings a veteran presence.

The_Iceman

I'm looking at his size and skill set, the system he was in at Colorado, and the way similar players have produced here at Arkansas. Size and skill set are similar to Coty Clarke/Marshawn Powell, but his production at CU wasn't close to that level yet.

A change of scenery might do him well.

Pork Twain

I really do not get this move.  This kid might be great but signing a transfer of this level is the same as saying that we know we cannot sign anyone out of high school that is as good or better over the next year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

The_Iceman

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 04, 2015, 12:30:07 pm
I really do not get this move.  This kid might be great but signing a transfer of this level is the same as saying that we know we cannot sign anyone out of high school that is as good or better over the next year.

I don't think that is it at all. I think as of this point, they only have Kapita at PF for the 2016 season. You will have (at least) Kingsley and Thompson at the 5. Bringing in a former Top 150 player out of high school and that has a similar size and skill set to players that have been successful in your system already, makes a lot of sense for Mike Anderson. That way, any freshmen you add in 2016 won't have any pressure to play right away, but will if they earn it.

k.c.hawg

After going back and watching every piece of video I can find on him I think it is ridiculous that anyone would not like this signing or at least give it a chance before bad mouthing it. He has a very nice stroke for his size, has the handles to play on the perimeter, nice balance and body control around the rim. I don't know what went wrong at CU but our staff would be negligent to not offer this kid at this point. If we had 3 2015 Top 100 kids fighting for the open spots then maybe you would have the luxury of passing on him but we don't. I said it yesterday and I'll repeat it. I see a 15-20 minute rotation guy that will be 10 and 5 . I can certainly see 2 years as good as Coty Clarke's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Nipsey Mussle

Yeah, because everyone is "stoked" about it. Trying to change the tenor of the opposite side is one of the oldest tricks on Hogville.

I think it's more of supporting the kid, supporting the staff, and taking a wait and see approach. I know that bothers you terribly.

UNCLE BACK

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 04, 2015, 12:36:46 pm
After going back and watching every piece of video I can find on him I think it is ridiculous that anyone would not like this signing or at least give it a chance before bad mouthing it. He has a very nice stroke for his size, has the handles to play on the perimeter, nice balance and body control around the rim. I don't know what went wrong at CU but our staff would be negligent to not offer this kid at this point. If we had 3 2015 Top 100 kids fighting for the open spots then maybe you would have the luxury of passing on him but we don't. I said it yesterday and I'll repeat it. I see a 15-20 minute rotation guy that will be 10 and 5 . I can certainly see 2 years as good as Coty Clarke's.
I hope you are right but usually the case is if a dog is gonna bite, he will bite as a puppy...

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 04, 2015, 12:50:49 pm
I hope you are right but usually the case is if a dog is gonna bite, he will bite as a puppy...
Ad nauseam, much?

Hog_Swanson

Quote from: PonderinHog on May 04, 2015, 10:16:23 am
I'm still holding out hope for Jacorey.  This is it, though.  If he doesn't get it done this year, I'm done.
HAHA, I see what you did there.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on February 08, 2018, 08:00:41 pm

I have gonads, and as soon as my wife gets back I'll prove it.  I keep 'em in her purse. >:(

Quote from: PorkSoda on Today at 04:03:25 pm
Okay, you are right, I should have done that first instead of going off of what other people said was said.
So basically all my complaining was for nothing and I'm a dumbass.  I should have just watch the presser BEFORE commenting.

TomBigBeeHog

Ky Madden didn't. He turned out alright, as have many other transfers. Funny how when someone transfers out, it's like we lost such a great talent with obvious potential. Then when we get a transfer the spin is we are taking rejects who failed at another program.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Coty Clarke went to JUCO. Damarre Carroll avg 4ppg as a freshman. Leo Lyons went from 2.6ppg to 14.6ppg fresh to senior. Denmon and English both averages around 5 ppg as freshmen, and ended up 14+. Also see Ky Madden and Michael Qualls.

Those are just recent Mike Anderson guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 04, 2015, 12:36:46 pm

I do not like it because I really do not like taking transfers to start with. Plus, he can't help at all in 15/16, and when 16/17 comes around he will have not been in a game for almost 20 months. We see, quite often, transfers take half or a full season to get back to game form.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

k.c.hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2015, 01:06:18 pm
I do not like it because I really do not like taking transfers to start with. Plus, he can't help at all in 15/16, and when 16/17 comes around he will have not been in a game for almost 20 months. We see, quite often, transfers take half or a full season to get back to game form.

There were almost 1200 transfers combined in 13 and 14. It is going up every year. Teams that don't develop a plan for taking transfers are going to be left behind. If it's not beneath Duke it better not be beneath us. The problem is....kids transfer in college basketball like never before. One of the absolute fundamentals in recruiting is to keep your classes balanced as much as possible. Even though Calapari is the one and done king his best two teams have managed to keep some upper class men on them. In our last 3 classes we have lost Qualls and Portis to early entry, Wagner and Babb to transfer, Clarke a JUCO to graduation and Harris a transfer to graduation. In 15 we add a Jr back in the mix with Hannahs, in 16 we'll add a Jr into the mix in Thomas.

Everyone acts as if it is a given that the player we sign, if we don't sign Thomas, will be a big contributor next year. Babb was a Top 150 kid that was of little or no help last year, for whatever reason. Maybe the same reason that Thomas hasn't been super productive at CU. Maybe both need a change of scenery. It is becoming more apparent to 99% of the coaches out there that they better get a transfer plan integrated into their recruiting and make your program a desirable landing spot for transfers.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

SPAL

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 03, 2015, 02:41:27 pm
Keaton Miles part 2... Mike is really starting to make me angry!

This crap is why many good posters don't post here anymore.

HoopS

Often overlooked in these situations is he will practice with the team this season forward. That's important.

He will graduate the same time Babb would have. So in essence you are replacing as far as how the numbers are arraigned and he will likely play a similar role as Jacorey when he's eligible.

Some want immediate impact guys and really, don't we all? But I get this move. It keeps the graduating classes at a good number and the kid fits our system better than CU's.

SPAL

Quote from: Pork Twain on May 04, 2015, 12:30:07 pm

However, this is a good post. Here is a guy who doesn't agree with the pickup, but he doesn't go ignorant with it. Gave his reasons and moved on. Uncle buck, meanwhile, gives no reason and just already chalks him up as a lost cause.

The difference in a good take and an ignorant tAke.

jry04

What did Frank Kaminsky do as a "puppy?"

rude1

Quote from: jry04 on May 04, 2015, 02:46:46 pm
What did Frank Kaminsky do as a "puppy?"
Please let's stop this one. Just because you can find exceptions to the rule that doesn't invalidate the rule. If not then we need to be looking at student managers because they can produce another Scotty Pippen. I understand saying players improve, because they do, but to go to the far end of the spectrum and pick a player as an example is just ridiculous. For every FK there are literally thousands of players who make marginal  improvement over that same span.

hogsanity

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 04, 2015, 02:08:19 pm
There were almost 1200 transfers combined in 13 and 14. It is going up every year. Teams that don't develop a plan for taking transfers are going to be left behind. If it's not beneath Duke it better not be beneath us. The problem is....kids transfer in college basketball like never before. One of the absolute fundamentals in recruiting is to keep your classes balanced as much as possible. Even though Calapari is the one and done king his best two teams have managed to keep some upper class men on them. In our last 3 classes we have lost Qualls and Portis to early entry, Wagner and Babb to transfer, Clarke a JUCO to graduation and Harris a transfer to graduation. In 15 we add a Jr back in the mix with Hannahs, in 16 we'll add a Jr into the mix in Thomas.

Everyone acts as if it is a given that the player we sign, if we don't sign Thomas, will be a big contributor next year. Babb was a Top 150 kid that was of little or no help last year, for whatever reason. Maybe the same reason that Thomas hasn't been super productive at CU. Maybe both need a change of scenery. It is becoming more apparent to 99% of the coaches out there that they better get a transfer plan integrated into their recruiting and make your program a desirable landing spot for transfers.

You might plan to take a high level transfer, but why take a player, who has to sit, and who, when he can play, is likely to be a two year role player?  This particular player may turn out to be great, but nothing in his backgrounds indicates he is going to be more than a 8-10 ppg player.   

I just do not think you can build a program by taking guys who are only going to give you two years. Signing a FR that ends up leaving after two years is one thing, but taking players who are only going to have two years of eligibility is another.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2015, 03:15:48 pm
You might plan to take a high level transfer, but why take a player, who has to sit, and who, when he can play, is likely to be a two year role player?  This particular player may turn out to be great, but nothing in his backgrounds indicates he is going to be more than a 8-10 ppg player.   

I just do not think you can build a program by taking guys who are only going to give you two years. Signing a FR that ends up leaving after two years is one thing, but taking players who are only going to have two years of eligibility is another.

Alandise Harris, Coty Clarke, and Fred Gulley were good 2-year players under Anderson at Arkansas. The MO for Anderson has been to have a couple of guys on the roster, just a couple, that can be solid role players and stabilizing veteran influences. We're talking about two spots out of 13. He'd not building his program on JUCOs and transfers.

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on May 04, 2015, 03:12:17 pm
Please let's stop this one. Just because you can find exceptions to the rule that doesn't invalidate the rule. If not then we need to be looking at student managers because they can produce another Scotty Pippen. I understand saying players improve, because they do, but to go to the far end of the spectrum and pick a player as an example is just ridiculous. For every FK there are literally thousands of players who make marginal  improvement over that same span.

I've posted plenty of examples just in Mike's recent years:

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 04, 2015, 01:04:08 pm
Coty Clarke went to JUCO. Damarre Carroll avg 4ppg as a freshman. Leo Lyons went from 2.6ppg to 14.6ppg fresh to senior. Denmon and English both averages around 5 ppg as freshmen, and ended up 14+. Also see Ky Madden and Michael Qualls.

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 04, 2015, 03:22:46 pm
I've posted plenty of examples just in Mike's recent years:

I know and if you went through Mike' history how many do you think you would find who did NOT make that great jump in improvement?

The_Iceman

Quote from: rude1 on May 04, 2015, 03:32:13 pm
I know and if you went through Mike' history how many do you think you would find who did NOT make that great jump in improvement?

Probably right on par with the amount of players at other schools that get recruited and for some reason do not pan out.

Hawg Red

Maybe I'm misreading, but it feels like some posters feel as if a player doesn't succeed at his initial school of choosing, that he somewhat is damaged goods or is less likely to succeed elsewhere. I don't like it. Every player and situation is different. These are 17/18 year old kids making the biggest decisions of their lives. Some, maybe many, will make the wrong decision. By all accounts, he's a good kid. From very close to Arkansas. Seems like a good fit for the system Anderson deploys. He's being brought in not to turn the program around like a Malik Monk or Malik Monk + plus the other top 2016 recruits, but as a role player/system guy. That's his role. I think he could even draw from his time at Colorado that he can succeed in that role. He wasn't pushed out there. Even started some games. And Mike has real game data and footage to judge him on right now. He's not looking at him against HS competition anymore. 

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 04, 2015, 03:33:29 pm
Probably right on par with the amount of players at other schools that get recruited and for some reason do not pan out.
I agree and that number would probably be much higher than players who went from doing not a lot to double digit scorers, simply because of the sheer volume of players a coach has in his program over the years. My point is just because someone voices a concern about a player because he hasn't done much in two seasons, pointing to Frank Kaminsky, doesn't invalidate those concerns because there are many many many more players who after being single digit scorers after two years ended their careers as single digit scorers.

The_Iceman

May 04, 2015, 03:44:57 pm #86 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:17:04 pm by The_Iceman
Quote from: rude1 on May 04, 2015, 03:43:45 pm
I agree and that number would probably be much higher than players who went from doing not a lot to double digit scorers, simply because of the sheer volume of players a coach has in his program over the years. My point is just because someone voices a concern about a player because he hasn't done much in two seasons, pointing to Frank Kaminsky, doesn't invalidate those concerns because there are many many many more players who after being single digit scorers after two years ended their careers as single digit scorers.

Pointing to Frank Kaminsky is like pointing to Coach K during Pel's first two years. That's why its more accurate to point to other players in Mike's system that have developed.

k.c.hawg

So would you rather take a High School player that sits on your bench for one or two years and then transfers out? CMA has already signed a pair of Top 50ish  kids, he is working on late commitments but probably has already come to the conclusion we aren't getting 3 more high level kids. They can go reach for a Dee Wagner and he can sit on the bench in 15 and I can guarantee you Thomas will be a better scholarship option than that heading into 16. The other thing you get from transfers....they usually buy in because they know they are locked in. You don't have a guy packing it in after one year because things didn't go his way.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on May 04, 2015, 03:42:36 pm
. From very close to Arkansas. Seems like a good fit for the system Anderson deploys.

yet he was not a good fit as a HS recruit?

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2015, 03:58:16 pm
yet he was not a good fit as a HS recruit?

2013 class. We didn't have much room for anyone other than Portis and Kingsley, officially (even then, the staff had over-signed by one). The staff still did continue to recruit players, but they were focused on getting a guard to replace B.J. Young. They had Williams, Harris, Clarke, and Qualls already on the roster at Thomas' position. Timing just didn't appear to be right, as Thomas committed to Colorado in September of 2012. Had he waited until the later period, and then not be scared off by the numbers ahead of him, maybe he'd have been a Hog then.

TheRazorbackGuy

+1 I have hopes in 2017 with the right recruits

HoopS

That's right,  Hawg Red. Sometimes the timing is just wrong.

Mike likes him enough to want him now. Works for me. Mike has evaluated him more than I have. He understands his roster better than any of us.

We will see how this one turns out but we won't know for a good while. As for now, Welcome to the Hogs!

Hogimus Prime

Still think Thomas will play the 3 and as an undersized 4 when MA goes small. 

TheRazorbackGuy

May 04, 2015, 06:42:35 pm #93 Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 07:54:42 pm by TheRazorbackGuy
Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 04, 2015, 04:47:02 pm

He "will" give it for the program. He is just down the road and has 3 years to give to this program. I for one am giving him a chance bcuz 2016 will be a rebuilding year and he can maybe toughen up some of our bigs in practice and be ready for the real challenge in 2017

Foshodo

you get there usually are only 3... maybe 4 players on the team that average over 8 ppg, right? I would be ecstatic if he came in and averaged 8-10 ppg.

secfan30

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 03, 2015, 02:41:27 pm
Keaton Miles part 2... Mike is really starting to make me angry!

Is this not bashing a player?

jesterzzn

Then I guess its a good things he's a human basketball player and not a dog.

But seriously, players that come in an contribute more and more as they grow and mature is the norm.  Players that come to college and light it up right away are the exception.

I don't have any expectation for this kid other than for him to come in, make his grades, and play hard.  I do expect the team to win more games in his first year playing for us than they do next year.  Who contributes in what way is irrelevant to me at this point.

Welcome to the Hogs, kid!

Pork Twain

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on May 04, 2015, 02:13:27 pm
However, this is a good post. Here is a guy who doesn't agree with the pickup, but he doesn't go ignorant with it. Gave his reasons and moved on. Uncle buck, meanwhile, gives no reason and just already chalks him up as a lost cause.

The difference in a good take and an ignorant tAke.
Why thank you.  Obviously the coaches know more about who they are or are not recruiting and why, than I ever will.  This type of move has always bothered me a little but all moves are a case by case basis, as we saw with the class that Ky was a part of.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogBreath

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 04, 2015, 09:10:54 am

We are grasping at straws.
Coach Mike don't grasp at straws, he goes bear huntin with a straw, or maybe a switch.!!
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

azhog10

Quote from: Hogimus Prime on May 04, 2015, 04:47:02 pm
From his high school film the kid has a nice stroke. Mike had a few taller forwards at mizzou that could really shoot it.