Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dustin Thomas Commits to Hogs

Started by chiefhawg, May 03, 2015, 12:37:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

chiefhawg

Richard Davenport retweeted
Dustin Thomas ‏@YehThatsMe_DT13  46m46 minutes ago
Proud to announce that I'll be joining the Arkansas Razorbacks for the remainder of my college career! #GrindMode #Hogs 🐗🐗

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Nipsey Mussle

Happy that Thomas decided to call the Hogs!

Now, he needs to spend the next 18 months working his butt off to become a better all around player. There is a lot that can happen during this time if he really commits himself.

hawg1221

I don't know too much about this guy, but a few people lately are saying he fits Anderson's style of play. I hope so. Is he that good that it's worth him sitting out a year when someone else could come in and play immediately? I don't know, but I do wonder about this. Anyway, I wish this guy nothing but the best as a Hog.

Otis

Why didn't we recruit him out of high school if he's such a good fit?

870hogfan

Quote from: Otis on May 03, 2015, 01:53:25 pm

Why didn't they recruit Dusty Hannahs?

italian9005

ill be suprised if he contributes much. anderson going to have to get more big time players rather than 1 or 2 on a team or we will never make it far in the tourney. just being realistic

CDBHawg

rude1

Nothing from the stat sheet jumps out at you, seems to be just another role player. Hope his future is better than his past has been.

sickboy

Quote from: italian9005 on May 03, 2015, 01:59:47 pm
ill be suprised if he contributes much. anderson going to have to get more big time players rather than 1 or 2 on a team or we will never make it far in the tourney. just being realistic

You can go far in the tourney with 2 elite players and a solid supporting cast. I think you're mistaken. Guys like this give us height and depth, which we need.

kibster

Quote from: 870hogfan on May 03, 2015, 01:57:22 pm

Why didn't they recruit Dusty Hannahs?

I think the better question is why did they recruit him to transfer here?

As far as Thomas goes, I don't anything about his game, only know what the stats say and the stats are pretty unremarkable. 
Electronic communities build nothing. You wind up with nothing. We are dancing animals. How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different. - Kurt Vonnegut

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Otis on May 03, 2015, 01:53:25 pm

Because our 2 open scholarships were taken by 2 top 50 players in Portis and Kingsley.

-Blu

I like the pick-up, I look at as a replacement for the loss of Babb scholarship.  Babb was a former 150 recruit with lots of potential, Thomas is a former top 150 guy with lots of potential as well.  Looking at his highlight tape and and reading scouting reports he seems to have a Coty Clarke like game, and I can't complain about that.  If Thomas can be a guy that makes that 10-11 man rotation and give us 10+ minutes of quality play, this scholarship will be well worth it.

Now, let's finish this class with Izundu and Outlaw/Dixson. 

UNCLE BACK

Keaton Miles part 2... Mike is really starting to make me angry!

Flatline

You have to have athletes to play Mike's style of ball and Thomas is that. He is a piece of the puzzle.

Unfortunately there are some on here that will never be happy. They will Bitch if we get Monk , why get a guy that will be here one year.

Swinesong1

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 03, 2015, 02:41:27 pm
Is it really that serious?

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

k.c.hawg

I like the signing a lot. The guy has had a few games that have shown flashes of what he can do. When he steps on the court in a game, he will have added 18 months of maturity after playing 2 years in a power 5 conference. I think he is more skilled than Miles and has the capability of developing into a 10 and 5 guy in the rotation in 16/17. There is little to no risk even if the guy ends up as the 12th man and gets nothing but mop up duty....the 12th scholarship is rarely if ever a contributor. At least in this instance you have seen a couple of double figure Pac 12 games, you have seen a run of 6 games in a power conference posting with a a 9 pt game, 3 8 pt games and a 5 pt game. There is no reason to believe he can not at least be a 15 min guy that gets you 8-10 pts and some boards. Anyone calling this a bad signing is delusional.....we can't sign 12 McD's AA's.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on May 03, 2015, 02:35:11 pm
I like the pick-up, I look at as a replacement for the loss of Babb scholarship.  Babb was a former 150 recruit with lots of potential, Thomas is a former top 150 guy with lots of potential as well.  Looking at his highlight tape and and reading scouting reports he seems to have a Coty Clarke like game, and I can't complain about that.  If Thomas can be a guy that makes that 10-11 man rotation and give us 10+ minutes of quality play, this scholarship will be well worth it.

Now, let's finish this class with Izundu and Outlaw/Dixson.

I think the Coty Clarke comparison is being a little optimistic.

rude1

Quote from: Flatline on May 03, 2015, 02:46:11 pm
You have to have athletes to play Mike's style of ball and Thomas is that. He is a piece of the puzzle.

Unfortunately there are some on here that will never be happy. They will Bitch if we get Monk , why get a guy that will be here one year.
The kid averaged 4.4 ppg & 2.5 rb, shooting 43%, I will forgive others if they aren't dancing in the aisles about this pickup.

-Blu

Quote from: CDBHawg on May 03, 2015, 03:40:41 pm
I think the Coty Clarke comparison is being a little optimistic.

I didn't say anything about his numbers being like Coty Clarke.  I honestly don't think he'll get the opportunity to put up those numbers, the 2016-2017 should be much better than Clarke's team with more competition at that position.   I said he had a Coty Clarke type of game.  You can watch his highlights and see that.  Also, keep in mind Thomas was rated higher than Coty Clarke out of high school.  And I'm sure if you would throw Thomas on a JUCO team, he would have really good numbers and be one of the top JUCO guys coming out.

So many people just look at numbers and don't pay attention to potential and skill set.  We just lost a guy in Babb that only averaged 1.6 PPG and he transferred to Iowa State who was a top 15 team all year.  The reason kids transfer is because something wasn't working out, that doesn't mean they can't play.  I'll trust the staff that's about to put 2 guys in the NBA this year that they know how to spot talent.

Danny J

He won't be eligible till 2016 so with all the 2016 guys we are on right now is this the best we can get out of one of the open spots? Serious question. I know nothing of the guy and have never watched him play.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: Danny J on May 03, 2015, 04:00:22 pm
He won't be eligible till 2016 so with all the 2016 guys we are on right now is this the best we can get out of one of the open spots? Serious question. I know nothing of the guy and have never watched him play.

With a minimum of 4 more gone after next season, he would certainly (in my opinion) be an outstanding 4th player in that class. He will be 3.5 years removed from HS, should be a man physically, has 2 years of experience in a Power 5 conference and will have had a year and a half to learn our system. Yes I absolutely think he will be worthy.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

TheRazorbackGuy

-Blu

Quote from: k.c.hawg on May 03, 2015, 04:09:31 pm
With a minimum of 4 more gone after next season, he would certainly (in my opinion) be an outstanding 4th player in that class. He will be 3.5 years removed from HS, should be a man physically, has 2 years of experience in a Power 5 conference and will have had a year and a half to learn our system. Yes I absolutely think he will be worthy.

Exactly.  Those thinking we were going to get 4 or 5 guys that are 4 and 5 stars in 2016 are dreaming.

Here's a guy that we didn't land yesterday for 2016.

http://sports.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/recruiting/player-Troy-Baxter-155802

Here's the guy we got today that will be eligible in 2016

http://sports.yahoo.com/wku/basketball/recruiting/player-Dustin-Thomas-140965

Very similar ranking except Thomas is older and more experienced and will get a year to red-shirt in the system.  Had we landed Baxter yesterday instead of Thomas, everybody would have been WPS! and excited, but since we landed Thomas his stats at his first location were not spectacular so we of course are wasting a scholarship.  But, in reality it's the same caliber of player.

jry04

Quote from: kibster on May 03, 2015, 02:24:39 pm
I think the better question is why did they recruit him to transfer here?

As far as Thomas goes, I don't anything about his game, only know what the stats say and the stats are pretty unremarkable. 
Yeah, well so were Ky Madden's thru 2 years. So were Frank Kaminsky's after two years. Who know what this guy can do a year and a half from now.

hoglady

Welcome to the Hogs!!
Let this guy at least play a game in a Hog uniform before getting down on him.
We offered him a scholarship and he accepted it.
No guarantees about any of these kids until they get here.
Hope he ends up being a great contributor to the program.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawg Red

We're losing 4 role players off this coming team. I think you'll see the staff go after all "talent players" with their 2016 spots now. Don't think Thomas hurts our ability to get players like that. We also still have two spots open, and I'm not sure we'll fill both (though that would be my preference).

UNCLE BACK

k.c.hawg

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on May 03, 2015, 02:41:27 pm

There has to be an 11th and 12th man on your roster if you use all of your slots. The 11th and 12th men are not signed....the are identified after months of practice and ooc games. Do you think the 11th and 12th men are ever going to be big contributors on an NCAA tournament team? When you have a 12th guy on your bench do you want it to be a 6' guard that can't shoot or a 6'7" guy that can give you 5 fouls and maybe get a couple of stick backs if you do ever need to go 12 deep? I suggest we will get some useful production out of Miles this year and I also suggest Thomas will be a considerably better player that will be in the 10 man rotation. Good thing is, we are both on record and we can look back in a couple of years.

BentonvilleJeff

I think this is a solid pick up. Welcome to the Razorbacks.  :razorback:

daBoar

Quote from: -Blu on May 03, 2015, 04:17:22 pm
Exactly.  Those thinking we were going to get 4 or 5 guys that are 4 and 5 stars in 2016 are dreaming.

Here's a guy that we didn't land yesterday for 2016.

http://sports.yahoo.com/bwi/basketball/recruiting/player-Troy-Baxter-155802

Here's the guy we got today that will be eligible in 2016

http://sports.yahoo.com/wku/basketball/recruiting/player-Dustin-Thomas-140965

Very similar ranking except Thomas is older and more experienced and will get a year to red-shirt in the system.  Had we landed Baxter yesterday instead of Thomas, everybody would have been WPS! and excited, but since we landed Thomas his stats at his first location were not spectacular so we of course are wasting a scholarship.  But, in reality it's the same caliber of player.
Good reasoned post.  Frankly, we had a scholly to give.........I'm betting this one produces.

Call a Hog

TrueBlue

Well there is four points we replaced out of about 70 we lost. Only 66 more to go.....

Swinesong1

Quote from: TrueBlue on May 03, 2015, 07:43:38 pm
Well there is four points we replaced out of about 70 we lost. Only 66 more to go.....
Well someone as smart as you should know he wouldn't be able to replace 70 points while redshirting.

3kgthog

I bagged on BB his first year, but at least he seems to have a vision and recruits to see that vision through. I don't know what in the hades Mike's vision is. Is it flinging crap at a canvas and hoping it results in a masterpiece?

Big Nasty 34

Ideally will  fill Williams role in 2016. This allows us to focus more on guards in next year's group too.

lefty08

I hope a lot of the posters in this thread get long naps. Some of you can't help yourselves than to talk a new recruit down. Just eat your cheese puffs and shut up already
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Kevin

Who knows what this kid will do. I want to see him play in a hog uniform before judging
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TomBigBeeHog

Welcome Mr. Thomas! Glad you're a Hog!!! Looking forward to seeing what you bring to the mix.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: lefty08 on May 03, 2015, 09:43:36 pm
I hope a lot of the posters in this thread get long naps. Some of you can't help yourselves than to talk a new recruit down. Just eat your cheese puffs and shut up already
Yeah, no doubt. It used to be against the rules to bash recruits but I guess it's all good now.

I'll take the route of letting a kid actually play for the Hogs before writing him off and calling out the coaching staff.

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Kevin on May 03, 2015, 09:49:09 pm
Who knows what this kid will do. I want to see him play in a hog uniform before judging
Completely agree

lumphog

Foshodo

if he can come in and get 5 and 3 and not commit stupid turnovers. i'll be happy.

gmarv

well said

CDBHawg

Quote from: -Blu on May 03, 2015, 03:52:25 pm
I didn't say anything about his numbers being like Coty Clarke.  I honestly don't think he'll get the opportunity to put up those numbers, the 2016-2017 should be much better than Clarke's team with more competition at that position.   I said he had a Coty Clarke type of game.  You can watch his highlights and see that.  Also, keep in mind Thomas was rated higher than Coty Clarke out of high school.  And I'm sure if you would throw Thomas on a JUCO team, he would have really good numbers and be one of the top JUCO guys coming out.

So many people just look at numbers and don't pay attention to potential and skill set.  We just lost a guy in Babb that only averaged 1.6 PPG and he transferred to Iowa State who was a top 15 team all year.  The reason kids transfer is because something wasn't working out, that doesn't mean they can't play.  I'll trust the staff that's about to put 2 guys in the NBA this year that they know how to spot talent.

Neither did I.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Foshodo on May 04, 2015, 01:17:45 am
if he can come in and get 5 and 3 and not commit stupid turnovers. i'll be happy.

I agree. I would love to have a zero turn over game next year.

The_Iceman

High School Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17ScirVlzHk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUXrvBMNyKM

Played in all 32 games last year, started in 11, averaged about 16 minutes a game. Colorado was a bad offensive team, ranking 146th in scoring. It sounds like they played him at a traditional 4, while if you watch his video, I think he is much more suited for the openness of our system. He fits that mold of a versatile 4-man Mike likes.

Hawg Red

I think Hogs fans will be much more fond of Thomas than they are of JaCorey Williams (who I think he will replace).