Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sonny Weems

Started by Hawg4life33, April 26, 2015, 12:58:15 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg4life33

CSKA Moscow, Sonny's current team playing on NBATV right now against a Greek team if anyone is interested in seeing the former Hog.  Team has a number of former NBA players including Andrei Kirilenko and Nando de Cola. European crowds are raucous.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Still a little surprised Sonny didn't stick with someone.   He has a lot of all-around skills and very good physical tools.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

-Blu

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on April 26, 2015, 01:25:24 pm
Still a little surprised Sonny didn't stick with someone.   He has a lot of all-around skills and very good physical tools.

Don't' feel bad for Sonny.  He can easily be in the NBA right now if he wanted to be, he went back overseas during the lockout and decided to stay.  He's one of the primer players in that league making really good money.  He decided to be a primer player rather than a role player in the NBA, and nothing is wrong with that.

intelligence

Quote from: -Blu on April 26, 2015, 01:44:57 pm
Don't' feel bad for Sonny.  He can easily be in the NBA right now if he wanted to be, he went back overseas during the lockout and decided to stay.  He's one of the primer players in that league making really good money.  He decided to be a primer player rather than a role player in the NBA, and nothing is wrong with that.

IIRC, he commented after the lockout ended that going back to the NBA would mean taking a pay cut.

SONofHAM

are you trying to say premiere?
"like a wild band of Razorback hogs"

latrops

I don't fault him for sticking with the good thing he has going overseas.  However, his career was trending toward his being a bit more than a role player.  He started about half his games in his last NBA season, averaging just over 9 ppg.  I don't think he'd have gone on to be a NBA star, but he could have gone on to a few 15 point and 5 rebound per game type seasons as a regular starter.  Of course, that wouldn't have been guaranteed.  He could have instead never been viewed as more than an average bench player/stop-gap starter.

Hawg Red

Yeah, Sonny is in the Euroleague by choice. One of the higher paid guys over there. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back in the NBA in a few years a la Anthony Parker (short initial NBA career, starred in Euroleague, closed in NBA).

Whatever the case may be, he's been successful.

-Blu

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 26, 2015, 04:08:08 pm

Haha yea.  Gotta love auto correct on the phone.

1highhog

Weems has it better overseas than here in the States, he doesn't get robbed like he would here.  He gets a house, two cars, paid staff, and tax free income, as he stated, he'd take a big paycut coming home, Obama would want his cut fresh off the top.

Hawgvillain

Quote from: 1highhog on April 30, 2015, 12:10:27 am
Weems has it better overseas than here in the States, he doesn't get robbed like he would here.  He gets a house, two cars, paid staff, and tax free income, as he stated, he'd take a big paycut coming home, Obama would want his cut fresh off the top.
Moving overseas doesn't remove US income tax liability unless you renounce your citizenship...

k.c.hawg

The guy lives the life of a superstar. Sends out occasional tweets from some of the most picturesque places in the world. He has secured his long term financial future and with the short seasons they play might very well have enough left in the body to come do a 3 or 4 year contract here when it becomes more lucrative to play here than there.

Curious as to what a "great offer" means? Well, according to sources, Weems inked a long-term $10 million agreement with CSKA, cementing himself as the highest-paid player overseas.

"I'm 28 years old, I'm not getting any younger, and a basketball career is short," Weems said. "CSKA is pretty much my team. I have a lot of control over here and can basically do whatever I want. I think I made a smart move career-wise."
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

1highhog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on April 30, 2015, 05:04:43 am
The guy lives the life of a superstar. Sends out occasional tweets from some of the most picturesque places in the world. He has secured his long term financial future and with the short seasons they play might very well have enough left in the body to come do a 3 or 4 year contract here when it becomes more lucrative to play here than there.

Curious as to what a "great offer" means? Well, according to sources, Weems inked a long-term $10 million agreement with CSKA, cementing himself as the highest-paid player overseas.

"I'm 28 years old, I'm not getting any younger, and a basketball career is short," Weems said. "CSKA is pretty much my team. I have a lot of control over here and can basically do whatever I want. I think I made a smart move career-wise."

Great post, I remember coming across that but forgot where.  If I were in his shoes, I would have done the same thing.  +1 for posting.

GlassofSwine

Quote from: Hawgvillain on April 30, 2015, 01:57:26 am
Moving overseas doesn't remove US income tax liability unless you renounce your citizenship...

Depends, you have to file taxes but there are things like the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion that if you qualify for can eliminate taxes on up to the first 100k earned overseas.

Cresthog

One of my all time favorites.

Wish we would have had him all 4 years.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: SONofHAM on April 26, 2015, 04:08:08 pm

Are you trying to say premier?
[CENSORED]!

Hawgvillain

Quote from: GlassofSwine on April 30, 2015, 09:54:39 am
  Depends, you have to file taxes but there are things like the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion that if you qualify for can eliminate taxes on up to the first 100k earned overseas.
I live in Sydney and work for an accounting firm so I'm pretty familiar with this.  Obviously, Weems is making more than 100K but the more relevant point is that moving overseas doesn't mean you don't have to pay US taxes.  The law is written to specifically not allow that.

As you mention, there are some ways to get credit for foreign taxes paid to reduce US tax liability -- but this isn't a very strong argument for why someone should play basketball overseas.

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.