Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Challenge For Us

Started by Oklahawg, August 04, 2015, 09:32:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

August 6 starts the new season. Let's declare a "new season" for recruiting starts the 6th also.

Let's follow the lead of Choctaw Hog (see my post regarding "best post in a while") and the advice of Biggus in the thread ("quitcher bitching").

Let's agree to celebrate those we get, wish well those we don't, admire the skills we covet as fans, and let other schools and their fans point out the flaws. Let's seek out WHY UA would be recruiting a player instead of whining about why this particular recruit isn't the perfect recruit.

Nutt was almost a scam-artist at recruiting, playing with smoke and mirrors and manipulating a lot of pieces (in the media, in his network of movers and shakers). Petrino would hustle for offensive skilled players but struggled to get elite recruits because of his personality - he was not a closer, and could not keep assistants who were closers. Smith was a coach in name only. it has been at least 1998 (Danny Ford) since we've had good recruiting coaches who work a recruiting plan. Maybe we ought to see how it works out on the field this year before we tolerate posters on HV who want to beef about whomever we are recruiting.

That won't work this year.

Here's how it works.

1. Post appropriately. No bagging on recruits. No questioning the skills of a player who wants a UA offer, or has an offer that you feel is unwarranted. No accusing rival schools of shenanigans (or denigrating the recruit) because you are butt-hurt we didn't get their commitment. Accept that we will get 25 really fine players who the coaches covet and feel fit the system. Celebrate them! And, let go of the rest.
2. Fair game: comparing recruits to former or current players, a wish list, a ranked order list at positions, and posts where it is fair to note that we only get 25 scholies in a year and this particular recruit is likely not going to get one of them because there are 25 others we like better. Or, that we have "positions of need" that require UA looks past a fine recruit to land one at a different position. That is not unreasonable.
3. Report posts that violate this. Put on "ignore" posters who frequently cannot follow the request. Mods will lock threads some of the time so we can see what the offending posters have posted. We have to know, after all. Others will be purged.

This is OUR board, so let's not screw this up. There is no reason we cannot enjoy recruiting while respecting a bunch of potential Hogs who we are recruiting, or might be recruiting.

Seem fair? Let's chat before we get too far into this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Vantage 8 dude

No problem at all for this Hogvillian. I'm more than willing to help in any way I can. Obviously this starts with being POSITIVE on each and every kid we're pursuing. NO REASON IN THE WORLD CAN'T BE THE VERY BEST!!! WPS!!!! :razorback: :razorback: :D :) ;D

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 04, 2015, 09:32:11 pm
August 6 starts the new season. Let's declare a "new season" for recruiting starts the 6th also.

Let's follow the lead of Choctaw Hog (see my post regarding "best post in a while") and the advice of Biggus in the thread ("quitcher bitching").

Let's agree to celebrate those we get, wish well those we don't, admire the skills we covet as fans, and let other schools and their fans point out the flaws. Let's seek out WHY UA would be recruiting a player instead of whining about why this particular recruit isn't the perfect recruit.

Nutt was almost a scam-artist at recruiting, playing with smoke and mirrors and manipulating a lot of pieces (in the media, in his network of movers and shakers). Petrino would hustle for offensive skilled players but struggled to get elite recruits because of his personality - he was not a closer, and could not keep assistants who were closers. Smith was a coach in name only. it has been at least 1998 (Danny Ford) since we've had good recruiting coaches who work a recruiting plan. Maybe we ought to see how it works out on the field this year before we tolerate posters on HV who want to beef about whomever we are recruiting.

That won't work this year.

Here's how it works.

1. Post appropriately. No bagging on recruits. No questioning the skills of a player who wants a UA offer, or has an offer that you feel is unwarranted. No accusing rival schools of shenanigans (or denigrating the recruit) because you are butt-hurt we didn't get their commitment. Accept that we will get 25 really fine players who the coaches covet and feel fit the system. Celebrate them! And, let go of the rest.
2. Fair game: comparing recruits to former or current players, a wish list, a ranked order list at positions, and posts where it is fair to note that we only get 25 scholies in a year and this particular recruit is likely not going to get one of them because there are 25 others we like better. Or, that we have "positions of need" that require UA looks past a fine recruit to land one at a different position. That is not unreasonable.
3. Report posts that violate this. Put on "ignore" posters who frequently cannot follow the request. Mods will lock threads some of the time so we can see what the offending posters have posted. We have to know, after all. Others will be purged.

This is OUR board, so let's not screw this up. There is no reason we cannot enjoy recruiting while respecting a bunch of potential Hogs who we are recruiting, or might be recruiting.

Seem fair? Let's chat before we get too far into this.

Excellent post. I was getting tired of seeing people cry over losing recruits to certain schools and accusing those schools of paying players. In essence they are bashing these recruits for cheating too. You never know when one of those commits from a school you accuse of cheating might flip and be a Hog like RW III did last year.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

NLRHog92

I don't see the harm in questioning an offer, wondering if a recruit is going to get an offer or discussing a recruit's ability... That's what a discussion board in the recruiting forum is for. I do understand actually bashing a recruit, player, coach or other poster is idiotic and unwarranted, however.

Oklahawg

Quote from: NLRHog92 on August 04, 2015, 09:54:51 pm
I don't see the harm in questioning an offer, wondering if a recruit is going to get an offer or discussing a recruit's ability... That's what a discussion board in the recruiting forum is for. I do understand actually bashing a recruit, player, coach or other poster is idiotic and unwarranted, however.

Your concern is covered in the "does this recruit make our top 25?" which is very worthy of discussion. Bashing in the process is obviously out but it is more than reasonable to talk about our "top 25"!
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Doug

It's also important to remember that recruits, their friends, girlfriends AND family do read Hogville. Some are even members.

BE UNCOMMON. Represent not only the Razorbacks, but Hogville with class, humility and dignity. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

Oklahawg

Quote from: Doug on August 04, 2015, 10:09:53 pm
It's also important to remember that recruits, their friends, girlfriends AND family do read Hogville. Some are even members.

BE UNCOMMON. Represent not only the Razorbacks, but Hogville with class, humility and dignity. :)

Thanks Doug!

NLRHog92

Quote from: Oklahawg on August 04, 2015, 09:56:31 pm
Your concern is covered in the "does this recruit make our top 25?" which is very worthy of discussion. Bashing in the process is obviously out but it is more than reasonable to talk about our "top 25"!

Makes sense, thanks. I just like talking about recruits skill sets in general, particularly when they're from Arkansas or have any ties to the state, which makes following them that more intriguing. There's always surprises in recruiting!

JIHawg

Most of these guys we don't get, we'll look back in February and be glad we didn't get them.

duckman

It comes down to this for me, if our staff is good with who we sign I am too.  I am not worried about those we don't get, they will be elsewhere and we will deal with them on game day.   Our staff is very unique IMO, they develop what we have into what they need.  As long as the players we get have a high ceiling and a strong conviction we will be a very hard team to deal with.  Thus the term Uncommon, it is not just a word this staff throws around, it is the way they build a program.  Time for you all to buy in and quit worrying so much about stars.  This is the way to build a consistent winner, we are in great hands.

redeye

Sounds good Oklahawg!

And for the record, I think recruiting is going great.  We're on the verge of breaking new ground, such as pulling in an unprecedented haul from LA.  I can't remember a time in the past when we've had so many legitimate chances of landing top-rated players.  Recruiting's on the way up and I'm here for the ride.

MissippHog

Quote from: duckman on August 04, 2015, 11:26:49 pm
It comes down to this for me, if our staff is good with who we sign I am too.
Exactly. 

War Boar

Agreed. :razorback: If you really need a fix of negativity, you can always head on over to shaggy bevo.  ::hornsdown::

HogWall Jackson

I was listening to the H.C. at Rice yesterday on a local Sports Radio Talk show with former Arkansas and GB Packer Hall of Fame member Greg Koch a 12 yr. NFL Vet and N.D.Kalu an 11 year NFL Vet. They asked David Baliff, Rice H.C. about the Star System on evaluating recruits? He said that most of their NFL Draftees were 2 star recruits who developed due to their work ethic and raw ability. He said that neither he nor his staff paid any attention to recruiting services that they did their own evaluations, period. Unfortunately when you recruit in the SEC, it is a bit easier to spot the most talented recruits like a Devin White.

I guess what I am saying at Arkansas we have to develop players like Trey Flowers and still get some guys like Alex Collins for us to compete on this level. CBB has a great staff starting with Ben Herbert to get our guys ready. I do not see us changing too much. If I were a Big Time RB I would be dreaming about a situation like Arkansas right NOW!

carolinahogger

100% agreement with OP.  The constant $ crying every time a kid chooses another school is unhoglike.

Hoggish1

Great advice Oklahawg.

I have never understood posters who question CBB and his coaches about recruits.  To my way of thinking, we, as fans, have neither the time, knowledge or skills to be evaluating recruits.  How could we not let the coaches do this specialized work?

I have never been star crossed about recruiting.  I'm well aware that not all stars are created equally and there are too many examples of 2 and 3* recruits who have become great at the college and level beyond it.

The coaches risk their careers when they recruit.  It's on them to get it right. Searching carefully though twitter to find out initially what you need to know about a young player is just smart.  If he pans out, they go on from there.  If he doesn't they move on quickly.  It's not brain surgery...

Biggus Piggus

Recruiting ends in February not now. Summer commits can change, and the apparent quality of prospects will change with the passing of another season. The risk of high-profile summer commits is to the downside. Arkansas's on-field results could change the conversation.
[CENSORED]!

duckman

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 05, 2015, 09:57:36 am
Recruiting ends in February not now. Summer commits can change, and the apparent quality of prospects will change with the passing of another season. The risk of high-profile summer commits is to the downside. Arkansas's on-field results could change the conversation.

Also, "Early Commits" mean less and less these days.  It has become common practice and the fact they committed early means you may be leading for their services but in most cases they are still open to the idea of another school.  If they are still taking visits, they are not committed IMO.

Paul

Quote from: Hoggish1 on August 05, 2015, 09:02:49 am
Great advice Oklahawg.

I have never understood posters who question CBB and his coaches about recruits.  To my way of thinking, we, as fans, have neither the time, knowledge or skills to be evaluating recruits.  How could we not let the coaches do this specialized work?

I have never been star crossed about recruiting.  I'm well aware that not all stars are created equally and there are too many examples of 2 and 3* recruits who have become great at the college and level beyond it.

The coaches risk their careers when they recruit.  It's on them to get it right. Searching carefully though twitter to find out initially what you need to know about a young player is just smart.  If he pans out, they go on from there.  If he doesn't they move on quickly.  It's not brain surgery...
Totally agree.  The man makes $4 mil/yr.  I make less & I'm no scientific rocket 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Paul on August 05, 2015, 01:11:49 pm
Totally agree.  The man makes $4 mil/yr.  I make less & I'm no scientific rocket 

I don't question BB about recruits, but we, and the OP, essentially espoused the same thing with BP when he was here.  Now, we rightfully criticize BP about his recruiting.  As fans, we simply love our coach...while he's our coach.

That said, I do appreciate the OP's fair and balanced post by adding in the butt-hurt excuses when we get beat out on a kid.  We're going to lose way more than we win in recruiting, and it ain't typically because they got paid.  I've followed recruiting for 15 yrs or so, and it definitely appears to me that the current staff is taking it up a notch or 2.  We're fine.  We can't turn on a dime.  It's a slow, steady build.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

Quote from: carolinahogger on August 05, 2015, 08:13:10 am
100% agreement with OP.  The constant $ crying every time a kid chooses another school is unhoglike.

I think it's the sudden increase in talent level at a certain school that questions the manner in which they get the players.

staffhog

I've been a Hogvillian since 1997, until 2004 I was "Kingbee".  During that time we had several good times: 2000 Cotton Bowl, Dmac, Peyton and Felix, Matt Jones vs Texass, Miracle on Markham, adn Petrino's high flying Hogs.

We are in the best position we have been in since early Holtz.  By this, I mean better than anything in the 80s and 90s, we are shaking it up under CBB.

I was a radical during Nutt's years up until Teresagate.  At that point, I matured as a Hogvillian and realized I didn't have as much to say as I thought I did.  There was a lot of turmoil as expected but there were several cool heads( UU, Notshavin, Texashog, etc), as well.  Somehow that all settled down, thank heaven

Since that point, I have enjoyed Hogville much more by counting it a privilege to have such a great band of borthers and a great source iof information concerning our beloved Hogs. 

In 2015 we sit poised to kick some tails on the field and on singing day and I'm not planning on missing a lick.  Even though UU has departed, I know I can count on some Hogvillian to fill his shoes.  We are Hogfans and we are always there.

Lanny, again, thanks for affording us this great gathering place.

Alright, who is going to pass the offering plate.

JaketheSnake

Band of Boarthers!
Quote from: staffhog on August 05, 2015, 06:44:32 pm
I've been a Hogvillian since 1997, until 2004 I was "Kingbee".  During that time we had several good times: 2000 Cotton Bowl, Dmac, Peyton and Felix, Matt Jones vs Texass, Miracle on Markham, adn Petrino's high flying Hogs.

We are in the best position we have been in since early Holtz.  By this, I mean better than anything in the 80s and 90s, we are shaking it up under CBB.

I was a radical during Nutt's years up until Teresagate.  At that point, I matured as a Hogvillian and realized I didn't have as much to say as I thought I did.  There was a lot of turmoil as expected but there were several cool heads( UU, Notshavin, Texashog, etc), as well.  Somehow that all settled down, thank heaven

Since that point, I have enjoyed Hogville much more by counting it a privilege to have such a great band of borthers and a great source iof information concerning our beloved Hogs. 

In 2015 we sit poised to kick some tails on the field and on singing day and I'm not planning on missing a lick.  Even though UU has departed, I know I can count on some Hogvillian to fill his shoes.  We are Hogfans and we are always there.

reddogjcss

PorcineSublime

Quote from: staffhog on August 05, 2015, 06:44:32 pm

Great comment. There are so many cliches in sports, but a few appropriate ones would be "Drive for show, putt for dough", "it's not how you start it's how you finish" and "you can't measure heart". There is no doubt that high talent athletes will  on average do better than those without. But no one knows how really talented they are until they are playing across from someone equally talented or even better. At the next level, when you are not head and shoulders better, that is when being "uncommon" matters. When you are giving it all on every play, and in the weight room and dining table. That is what Bret's teams did so well at Wisconsin and will hopefully do here, getting the most out of whatever "stars" you have.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.