Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Powell's Contributions As a Frosh?

Started by bigdaddyhawg, July 05, 2009, 11:19:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

I need some input here from some of you folks in the know.

I understand Powell is pretty much listed as a "power" player.  I've read on here some compare him to Corliss.  I've seen him listed as 6'6" and also as 6'8", which makes a big difference for an inside player.  I've also read him described as a player than can play out on the floor and has a good shot from range.

My question: Will he strictly be limited to playing power forward this year, or could he also play some small forward as well?

This could make a huge difference.  It could give us flexibility to go "large" with Johnson at C, Wash at PF, Powell as SF, Farmer at SG.  It would give 3 options as SF now that Henry's gone.  We could play Farmer, Bryant, or Powell at SF.

I'd just like to know if this is even an option at this point.

Thanks guys.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

ruarealhogfan

In the article a couple of weeks ago announcing his becoming eligible, he stated that when he signed he was 6'7 230 & as of right now he is a legit 6'8 250.  According to his coach, they had 2 other 6'8 guys on his team & Marshawn did play the 3 at times.  He said that he was the best 3 point shooter they had & in fact had hit 5 3 pointers in a game.  That said he may be too good down low to be put out on the wing.  He might not lead us in scoring next season, but will man the boards & add some toughness in the paint IMO. Here's a pretty good video of him, if you haven't seen it already, (#21 White) It shows him doing a little bit of everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31YvVOb-Vm4

3kgthog

Please tell me he's not a heavier Mike Jones that likes to jack threes.

chiefsfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 06, 2009, 12:15:35 am
Please tell me he's not a heavier Mike Jones that likes to jack threes.

Mike Jones was a 3 who thought he was a point guard.   Powell is our power forward.   He has the ability to step out and knock down a 3.  but thats just there to keep the D honest...thats all
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on July 06, 2009, 12:05:40 am
In the article a couple of weeks ago announcing his becoming eligible, he stated that when he signed he was 6'7 230 & as of right now he is a legit 6'8 250.  According to his coach, they had 2 other 6'8 guys on his team & Marshawn did play the 3 at times.  He said that he was the best 3 point shooter they had & in fact had hit 5 3 pointers in a game.  That said he may be too good down low to be put out on the wing.  He might not lead us in scoring next season, but will man the boards & add some toughness in the paint IMO. Here's a pretty good video of him, if you haven't seen it already, (#21 White) It shows him doing a little bit of everything...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31YvVOb-Vm4

I appreciate the info.  This is encouraging to me.  If Powell can give us a little flexibility at the 3, it can make a difference for this team with rotations and depth.  You add that Farmer can do the same between a 2,3, Mike can do the same between 4,5, and now you've got options.

If you need to lean toward defense, you could put Johnson at 5, Mike at 4, Powell at 3, and get more beef at the boards, for example.

And I thought I'd read about Powell being 6'8", but one article I read last week said he was 6'6".  That 2" makes a big difference.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TRUHOG718

July 06, 2009, 02:58:45 pm #5 Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:01:09 pm by TRUHOG718
Powell will be what we thought we were getting last year with Dirty Sanchez.  No need to pump fake 5 times when your that big.  I cant wait to see him on the floor with Washington.  Gives Fortson more room to operate as after the first half of the season everyone knew that Sanchez was not very good down lown so Coutrney started to favor Mike W.

TEams would start shading MW causing a lot of turnover's or blockson Fortson, or CF throwing up a wild shot  because they knew when he penetrated he wanted to get MW the ball instead of Sanchez.  Plus they always would have time to get back on sanchez while he was busy pump faking noone instead of just going up strong.. 

I could go on but thats one aspect we will will improve in. Ever notice when Henry was playing down low he got a lot of easy dunks right by the basket. Fortson will make it easier for you but u gotta put the ball in the hoop when your that big and standing right under the basket.
http://www.sicollection.com/assets/images/nolan_richardson_300.jpg

One Day. We Will Be Back. I Promise You This.

labb

I doubt you will ever see Powell at the 3 this next season. Probably not in his career. He is a 4. 6'8" 250 lb trying to guard the 3's in the SEC better be quick.

WMHawgfan

thinking he is more like Dwight Stewart except he may end up having a better low post game than Dwight.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WMHawgfan on July 06, 2009, 04:28:07 pm
thinking he is more like Dwight Stewart except he may end up having a better low post game than Dwight.

Nah, he's a much better athlete than Dwight was. Dwight could hit open shots, but he wasn't much of an athlete. Think more like Derek Hood. Not as tireless of a rebounder/full-court athlete as Derek was, but a harder worker in the paint than Dwight was.

I'd be shocked if his playing weight was at 250lbs. That seems to be a bit much for a 6'8" guy playing uptempo basketball for Pel. Maybe 240, at most.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogimus Prime

I think his numbers need to be around 10-12 ppg and 6-7 rpg

Hogbody

ruarealhogfan

HawgAdvocate

Do we know if that's 4 for 9, or possibly something closer to 36 for 81?

I'd hype his trey % a lot more if it's the latter. It makes a difference.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

dotnet

Quote from: Hogbody on July 06, 2009, 05:29:23 pm
He shot 44% from 3 pt last year

Yeah, but shooting 44% in high (or prep) school and college is two totally different things.  He won't have as many open shots this year. 

Last year Sanchez averaged 6 and 6.  I know that isn't good enough.  But you have to think with a year of experience and another off season (for all of the other players on the court as well) he might be able to go 10 and 8 this year.  If he and Powell can average 20 and 14 in 45 minutes, that wouldn't be too bad. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: labb on July 06, 2009, 03:57:30 pm
I doubt you will ever see Powell at the 3 this next season. Probably not in his career. He is a 4. 6'8" 250 lb trying to guard the 3's in the SEC better be quick.

That a good point and something I wondered about.  I have a hard time looking at YouTube video and gleaning anything valuable about how a kid will play up here.

Still, if he could play on the offensive end of the floor as a three, there might be situations or certain settings where his lack of quickness out on the floor might not be an issue.  It's still very nice to have a kid that has those abilities.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 06, 2009, 09:00:34 pm

I do know his coach said he hit 5 in one game, so I'm guessing he shot more than a few, but how many I don't know...

Hogbody

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on July 06, 2009, 09:00:34 pm

he played the wing, and was supposedly the best 3 shooter on the team.

If he can just knock down some 18-20 footers he can really spread the D with Wash

sirhog

Quote from: TRUHOG718 on July 06, 2009, 02:58:45 pm
Powell will be what we thought we were getting last year with Dirty Sanchez.  No need to pump fake 5 times when your that big.  I cant wait to see him on the floor with Washington.  Gives Fortson more room to operate as after the first half of the season everyone knew that Sanchez was not very good down lown so Coutrney started to favor Mike W.

TEams would start shading MW causing a lot of turnover's or blockson Fortson, or CF throwing up a wild shot  because they knew when he penetrated he wanted to get MW the ball instead of Sanchez.  Plus they always would have time to get back on sanchez while he was busy pump faking noone instead of just going up strong.. 

I could go on but thats one aspect we will will improve in. Ever notice when Henry was playing down low he got a lot of easy dunks right by the basket. Fortson will make it easier for you but u gotta put the ball in the hoop when your that big and standing right under the basket.

Good points. Washington shouldn't get near as many double teams with another low post scorer. Plus we have a rotation of guys that can come in and score so our starters will not have to play so many minutes.

Beaverfever

Quote from: dotnet on July 06, 2009, 09:10:20 pm
Yeah, but shooting 44% in high (or prep) school and college is two totally different things.  He won't have as many open shots this year. 
If you were talking about a perimeter player I would agree.  But a big man who can hit the 3 will probably always get those looks.  I think Powell might be the next big time Arkansas basketball player.  He will be a matchup nightmare on the college level. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: sirhog on July 07, 2009, 08:34:16 am
Good points. Washington shouldn't get near as many double teams with another low post scorer. Plus we have a rotation of guys that can come in and score so our starters will not have to play so many minutes.

I agree with your comment here about another low post presence taking away double teams, but to me the biggest opportunity here will be consistent distance shooting from our 1,2,3's on the floor.

Just like in the NBA, each team with a great shooter needs a low post presence to give him openings.  And each team with a great low post presence needs that dependable 3 pt. guy who can free him up inside. 

I didn't see much of this last year.  If Pelphrey can get Mike looking to Clarke and Farmer for open three out of that double team, and if those guys can consistently make teams pay, then our entire offense changes.  I understand those "ifs" have to be met first.  Still, I can see some potential there.