Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Henry Out for Hoops Hogs

Started by Oklahawg, July 05, 2009, 09:45:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Henry Out Article

There's how we get under the scholie cap.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

clew

Pure as the dawn

Oklahawg

Cancer shouldn't be messed with. We tried chemoTHERAPY. Didn't work. Time to amputate.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

HogsGotcha1

OMG! I like Pel and all but you gotta have some height to go along with some talent! There has to be another way to discipline players other than suspending players and kicking them off. Its like thats all he knows, hundreds of other coaches know these other ways Y cant Pel?!

3kgthog

How many chances is Pel supposed to give him? Henry obviously didn't show enough growth and maturity to deserve his scholly.

Pastor_Hog

We all knew this could happen.  I hope that Henry will mature and become a great man through this. 
Watch the Hogs on Saturday and worship Jesus on Sunday.

Big Papa Satan

Now if we can get rid of Welch.

HogsGotcha1

He hasnt even done anything since last time he could have been doing real good but Pel had already given up on him and brought in to many players, just doesnt seem real fair to me

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Quote from: 3kgthog on July 05, 2009, 09:56:55 pm
How many chances is Pel supposed to give him? Henry obviously didn't show enough growth and maturity to deserve his scholly.

Same with 3 or 4 of the other 6 in that recruiting class.  When there is a trend of player after player, maybe we should stop blaming the players.  Pitiful.

batmanfan

Just another product of the Sun Belt crews recruiting.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

WilsonHog

HoopS

deucea729

Kinda had to expect this, given Pel's comments about him being "day-to-day" after giving more positive news around Powell and Washington.

Quote from: Oklahawg on July 05, 2009, 09:48:31 pm
Cancer shouldn't be messed with. We tried chemoTHERAPY. Didn't work. Time to amputate.

So I take it that as of this article, it is your belief that the cancer is gone?  Or is there still another part of the body that you feel needs to be amputated? 

As a fan, I'm just ready to be rid of whatever cancer caused us to tank the back half of last season - and I really don't care who that might be.

SRFL

I just don't know how I feel about the Oncologist just yet ...

SquidBilly

Pelphrey gets no credit for cutting him loose because, correct me if I'm wrong, he is the reason he was here in the first place.  And this does look awfully convenient to finally make the decision to part ways when Pelphrey needed to make a scholarship available.  Hog basketball fans deserve better than the mess we've been dealing with the past season or so. 

The_Bionic_Pig

I think this is more a academic decision than Coach/Player decision.  Mr. Henry simply did not improve enough to stay in school. I still say Bordon is headed to Prep School. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

chiefsfan

Quote from: ATLpiggie on July 05, 2009, 10:45:45 pm
Pelphrey gets no credit for cutting him loose because, correct me if I'm wrong, he is the reason he was here in the first place.  And this does look awfully convenient to finally make the decision to part ways when Pelphrey needed to make a scholarship available.  Hog basketball fans deserve better than the mess we've been dealing with the past season or so. 

at the same time.  You cant not kick him off.   I mean the only reason we didnt kick him off after the end of last season was so we didnt lose more APR points when he dropped all his classes and left
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

TomasPistola

It's tough for the team and tough for the kid in question. Personally - I think little about what happens with the team since Henry didn't get to contribute a ton last year anyways. What I am concerned about is that a kid with that much raw talent and ability can't get his head on straight enough to pass his classes and stay out of trouble with all the help around him that an athlete at the U of A gets. I hope he finds a place and a role model that can help him become a better player and a better person.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

dagnamit

It is a huge mess upon the Hill. You had better hope for a good football season and another great run in baseball.

batmanfan

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on July 05, 2009, 10:53:46 pm
It is a huge mess upon the Hill. You had better hope for a good football season and another great run in baseball.

This guy knows what he is talking about.  The Basketball program is dead.  More so than in 2002.

We have a guy that took a mediocre basketball program and burned it down into a POS one in one year.

Thats the quality we have coaching up there right now.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

ge-erdone

Quote from: batmanfan on July 05, 2009, 10:07:21 pm
Just another product of the Sun Belt crews recruiting.
About any organization will turn one loose, when they get in fights with their superiors, and fail to go by the rules and not obey orders and instructions.

He had talent, and NBA potential, but with his attitude, he will never make it with any team sport.

ballhog™

Like Battle, he wasn't good enough to be as  big of a pain as he was.
Touchdown Arkansas! Oh My! --Paul Eells- Voice of the Razorbacks-Southern Gentleman

I do believe you have to be able to run the football when you want to, run the football when you have to. I believe you have to be able to throw the football when you want to, and throw the football when you have to.  --Former Razorback Head Football Coach Bobby Petrino.

ge-erdone

Quote from: batmanfan on July 05, 2009, 10:57:40 pm
This guy knows what he is talking about.  The Basketball program is dead.  More so than in 2002.

We have a guy that took a mediocre basketball program and burned it down into a POS one in one year.

Don't you have to actually see how the team will play this next season?

Henry actually did not help us that much last year.

Heck, the article in Sports 360 stated he refused to go into the South Caroling game last year with 8 minutes to play.

That kind of attitude will not help any team, wherever he goes, and the NBA will surely not want that kind of attitude.

I do not believe the European pro teams will either.

GuvHog

Quote from: batmanfan on July 05, 2009, 10:57:40 pm

I disagree. It's absolutely amazing to me that some people want to write Pelphrey
off after 1 bad year. That is totally ridiculous! Pelphrey made the right move, Henry
had to go. This team has been rebuilt and I believe they will do much better this
coming year. Now if they finish 2-14 in conference again (They won't), Move over. I'll
be changing sides of the fence.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

dagnamit

Quote from: ge-erdone on July 05, 2009, 11:07:13 pm

Heck, the article in Sports 360 stated he refused to go into the South Caroling game last year with 8 minutes to play.

That kind of attitude will not help any team, wherever he goes, and the NBA will surely not want that kind of attitude.

Maybe Pel just can't handle great athletes. I am not picking on him but you can't win if you can only have so, so players on the team and the top dogs don't want to run for you....then word gets around and the top dogs will not even give you a shot at recruiting them.

GuvHog

Quote from: ge-erdone on July 05, 2009, 11:07:13 pm

*Heck, the article in Sports 360 stated he refused to go into the South Caroling game last year with 8 minutes to play.

*This speaks volumes about why Henry is gone.

GuvHog

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on July 05, 2009, 11:14:32 pm
Maybe Pel just can't handle great athletes. I am not picking on him but you can't win if you can only have so, so players on the team and the top dogs don't want to run for you....then word gets around and the top dogs will not even give you a shot at recruiting them.

......Or maybe Henry was just big trouble and you would rather blame Pel than just accept
the truth.

chiefsfan

Quote from: devilpimpdaddy on July 05, 2009, 11:14:32 pm

So youre telling us that Pelphrey cant handle top athletes.  Because he kicked a guy off the team who refused to go into a close game late on the road

How many coaches would have even let Henry fly home with the team after that game.   Id have put him on a bus home and told him to clean out his locker when he gets back to campus
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

GuvHog

Quote from: chiefsfan on July 05, 2009, 11:23:31 pm
So youre telling us that Pelphrey cant handle top athletes.  Because he kicked a guy off the team who refused to go into a close game late on the road

How many coaches would have even let Henry fly home with the team after that game.   Id have put him on a bus home and told him to clean out his locker when he gets back to campus

I whole heartedly agree Chief! +1

dagnamit

Pel's season will speak for itself. I hope it is a great one. If he does not and it looks as he did not know how to handle Henry....it was time for Henry to go.

If Pel'ss team continues to stink it up. It will be time for Pel to hit the road.

and I like Pel.

George S. Pigton

Pelphrey may not be dead but his is a big nail in the coffin.  I don't care so much about
Henry as a player, (don't wish him ill, wish it would have worked out) but this is going to
kill our APR.  We will more than likely lose a couple of schollies over this and make John's
job that much harder and set the program back even farther. 

This is not good!
\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

athunt

July 06, 2009, 12:46:54 am #32 Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 12:49:06 am by athunt
Quote from: chiefsfan on July 05, 2009, 11:23:31 pm

How many coaches would have even let Henry fly home with the team after that game.   Id have put him on a bus home and told him to clean out his locker when he gets back to campus

Any good coach would do what you would have done. Sent him on his way the first chance he got. But Pel didn't. He continued to play him and even start him.  He felt the seat getting hot and he looked to cover his arse by trying to go with one of his better players out there as much as possible.  I dont think kicking a kid off the team 5 months after the season qualifies as a "hard nose decision".  That is like talking $hit to the 6'6 250 pound guy being handcuffed after he layed you out.

Maybe Pel needs to evaluate his recruits off the court issues a little better in the future.  And if there were no red flags until they got to campus then it must be something wrong the coaches end. 

I wonder if Pel would have made this decision had Washington not came back?

Here is the formular:
+ Mike Wash = Team - Jason Henry
- Mike Wash = Team + Jason Henry
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

TomasPistola

Quote from: athunt on July 06, 2009, 12:46:54 am
Any good coach would do what you would have done. Sent him on his way the first chance he got. But Pel didn't. He continued to play him and even start him.  He felt the seat getting hot and he looked to cover his arse by trying to go with one of his better players out there as much as possible.  I dont think kicking a kid off the team 5 months after the season qualifies as a "hard nose decision".  That is like talking $hit to the 6'6 250 pound guy being handcuffed after he layed you out.

Maybe Pel needs to evaluate his recruits off the court issues a little better in the future.  And if there were no red flags until they got to campus then it must be something wrong the coaches end. 

What I've seen of Pel tells me he would have made the same decision. But not knowing whether this was straight up a grade issue or if something else happened that was the final straw makes it difficult to know for sure.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

chiefsfan

Quote from: athunt on July 06, 2009, 12:46:54 am

Here is the formular:
+ Mike Wash = Team - Jason Henry
- Mike Wash = Team + Jason Henry

Henry was a risk.  We all knew that when he signed.  We all knew he was a tremendously gifted athlete, and we all knew he was a gigantic risk because of his trouble in the past and his lack of caring about academics

Pelphrey lost a couple players in that signing class and added Henry as a risk.   what ended up happening was that the team was so little on depth that the only way we were winning games was if he played.

He gave Henry ample opportunities to fix himself.  he game him ample opportunities in the spring and summer to go to class and Henry never applied himself.  Yes he still became eligible.  but by then the decision was made

It might have been better in the long run for Pelphrey had he kicked Henry off immediately.  but when your team is 1-11 in the SEC and you are desprately trying to win something.  youll do anything to get a few more wins, and that includes giving ample chances to guys who probably dont deserve them

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: GUVHOG on July 05, 2009, 11:12:43 pm
I disagree. It's absolutely amazing to me that some people want to write Pelphrey
off after 1 bad year. That is totally ridiculous! Pelphrey made the right move, Henry
had to go. This team has been rebuilt and I believe they will do much better this
coming year.
Now if they finish 2-14 in conference again (They won't), Move over. I'll
be changing sides of the fence.

You may want to temper expectations, as we learned last year, you can only win ball games in a terrible conference if you have a lot of experience, and this team isn't too much more experienced than the product we saw last year.

Of course, if the experience excuse doesn't float, then the "Well we lost Henry before the season!" excuses will start just like the "we lost Mcdonald" excuses started last year.

chiefsfan

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on July 06, 2009, 01:19:37 am
You may want to temper expectations, as we learned last year, you can only win ball games in a terrible conference if you have a lot of experience, and this team isn't too much more experienced than the product we saw last year.

Of course, if the experience excuse doesn't float, then the "Well we lost Henry before the season!" excuses will start just like the "we lost Mcdonald" excuses started last year.

the only possible excuse for Pelphrey this year would be injuries.   If Fortson and Washington both went down injured or something, and the team struggled.  Then he might have an excuse

Youth is both an excuse and never an excuse.  It might play in some... but it should be representative of play in an individual game...not a full season

Reservoir Hogs

Guys its pretty clear it is academics that is forcing this.  I do not think it has anything to do with his bad additude or Pel's way of handeling players.  Henry had work to do this summer, 1 session just ended, and now he is off the team... pretty cut and dry

forrest city joe

Quote from: abostian on July 05, 2009, 10:03:11 pm
Same with 3 or 4 of the other 6 in that recruiting class.  When there is a trend of player after player, maybe we should stop blaming the players.  Pitiful.
Bingo! eveybody wants to get rid of everyone but the person in charge.(who brought in these trouble players)PEL! maby Pel is the problem folks.and maby you should stop blamming everybody else.

Conway Hog

Quote from: funkyhog on July 05, 2009, 09:53:16 pm
OMG! I like Pel and all but you gotta have some height to go along with some talent! There has to be another way to discipline players other than suspending players and kicking them off. Its like thats all he knows, hundreds of other coaches know these other ways Y cant Pel?!

I so agree with you!  Pel is a good man...maybe a good coach...but recruiting talent and developing them into a team and as a person takes something other than the methods they are using.  the program is not going to turn around until someone up there...and I guess it will be Jeff Long.. changes how they do things.  Remember, doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is insanity!
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

The Hogfather

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 06, 2009, 08:18:48 am
Bingo! eveybody wants to get rid of everyone but the person in charge.(who brought in these trouble players)PEL! maby Pel is the problem folks.and maby you should stop blamming everybody else.

How about a little responsibility and scrupulous behavior from these 18 and 19-year-old young MEN?

Pelphrey tried over and over with Henry.

All of you talking about this hurting the APR are nuts.  They waited until he became eligible for the time being and let him go, as to not hurt our APR.  It became fairly obvious that he was not going to graduate by the time he left the U of A, so why not go ahead and part ways with him now, while he WAS still eligible?

Not only did he have severe academic problems, but he also was suspended 3 times last season, was wildly inconsistent on the court (leading us in scoring one game and then throwing up a 2-3 pt. performance the very next game), was injured for several games (which caused him to play sparingly in those games), and even refused to go in during a game.

There is no doubt he is extremely talented on the court, when he has his head on straight.  Everyone can see that.  That is the reason Pelphrey took a chance on him and has been so patient with him as he has made all of these mistakes.  The problem is, he hasn't learned from those mistakes.

Yeah, Pelphrey deserves some of the blame for only having 2 of 6 left from his 2008 recruiting class.  However, what he has done is eliminate most of the deadwood and, for the most part, evened out the recruiting classes (which had to be done at some point).  The part that some of his detractors are conveniently skimming over or ignoring all together is the position Pelphrey was left in after his first year here.  He had to replace an ENTIRE TEAM in basically one recruiting class.  Not only that, but if he got 6 guys in there that were going to stay 4 years and not take us to the next level, the next coach would have to replace 6 guys in one recruiting class, and we'd be right back in the same predicament.  I think Pelphrey's done a good job of cutting guys who weren't going to help us in the long run and/or were MAJOR troublemakers, while keeping us at a competitive level, AND, the biggest plus to me, balancing the recruiting classes.

Keep hating.  We're going to be much improved this year, even without Henry.  Pel will buy himself some more time and you will be right back on the bandwagon.

HognotinMemphis

Wake me up when they play basketball again at U of A.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

arodobop

The Hogfather

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 06, 2009, 08:45:40 am
Wake me up when they play basketball again at U of A.

It has been awhile.  I just want to give Pelphrey a chance to try and fix the problems he was left with.  Once he's had a legit chance, and he fails, I won't be arguing for him at all.  So far, he's taking decent steps to get us back on track.

forrest city joe

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 06, 2009, 08:54:06 am
It has been awhile.  I just want to give Pelphrey a chance to try and fix the problems he was left with.  Once he's had a legit chance, and he fails, I won't be arguing for him at all.  So far, he's taking decent steps to get us back on track.
Dont you get it Hogfather? it's a wast of time with Pel. he is the one who went out and recruited some of these bad apples who he has to kick off now. he's the one who recruited players that cant play high d-one basketball.(like A.Clark and B. Moore)he is in over his head.

HognotinMemphis

Not like I am wishing for Pel to fail. However, after his first two years, I don't have much faith in his ability to create a team that can stay in the top 5 or 6 teams in SEC on any consistent basis. He'll be here for another year or two and then be replaced.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

forrest city joe

Quote from: HoginMemphis on July 06, 2009, 09:08:48 am
Not like I am wishing for Pel to fail. However, after his first two years, I don't have much faith in his ability to create a team that can stay in the top 5 or 6 teams in SEC on any consistent basis. He'll be here for another year or two and then be replaced.
Him being here another year is bad enough. but if this guy is here 2 more years. this program  will be under the graveyard it's in today.it's in sad shape.

SpareRib

That's really too bad.  Henry would have been an asset if he could have gotten his stuff together, but I sure don't blame Pel for doing what he had to do.

This young man had the raw material to be really successful.  Whether he becomes successful or just sucks is strictly up to him.
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

RedSatinHog

Quote from: forrest city joe on July 06, 2009, 09:18:46 am
Him being here another year is bad enough. but if this guy is here 2 more years. this program  will be under the graveyard it's in today.it's in sad shape.

And it was there years before Pel ever showed up.

Whether you're willing to admit it or not, FCJ, this trend started under Nolan.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd