Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last 12 Games No Longer Emphasized for At-Large Tourney Birth

Started by SharpTusk, July 01, 2009, 11:09:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SharpTusk

This article is one of several I've found over the last few months which are important.  When would we have found out?  -- SharpTusk

DI Men's Basketball Committee removes last 12 games from selection toolbox

Jun 30, 2009 8:40:27 AM

from The NCAA News

The Division I Men's Basketball Committee has decided to no longer consider the results of a team's last 12 games as one of the tools available in the selection criteria for the 2009-10 season.

While the basketball committee uses several variables when it comes to selecting the 34 at-large teams that are placed into the bracket each March, its members concluded that college basketball stakeholders were confused by the last 12 games being part of the process.

"As the committee continues to hone its message regarding how it views the season, parsing a particular segment of games and implying it had greater weight than others seemed misleading and inconsistent," said committee chair and Southeastern Conference Commissioner Mike Slive. "The removal of this reference avoids confusion in the room and brings our reporting in line with our process."

Examining a team's last 12 games was a resource put in place for committee members to gauge how strongly a team finished its season. It was never intended that the last portion of a team's season should carry more weight than other portions of the schedule.

The committee takes into account a team's entire "body of work" during the selection process.

Among the resources available to the committee are complete box scores, game summaries and notes, various computer rankings, head-to-head results, chronological results, Division I results, non-conference results, home and away results, rankings, polls, and the National Association of Basketball Coaches regional advisory committee rankings.

Writer on  hog database

PorkFryRice