Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If I were a betting man I would say that their is a 90% chance A-Bordon is Prep

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, June 27, 2009, 04:17:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

3kgthog

Based on what others have said after watching him play, he only gives us 5 extra fouls. He's an even bigger project than Mike Washington was as a freshman. Prep school is definitely the way to go.

jackflash

He needs to play where ever he goes. He 7-0 foot you can't teach that.

ruarealhogfan

True, personally I would rather see Borden redshirt & be in our weight room w/ our strength guys putting weight on, but I trust the coaching staff will make the right move, whatever it is...

heathtits

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 27, 2009, 04:29:37 pm
He's an even bigger project than Mike Washington was as a freshman. 

How was Mike a big project minus the fact that he was a Freshman? Comparing him to Borden isn't close at all.

Mike scored 15 and 17 points in a game once he got some real PT his freshman year. Borden is never going to offer anything close to that kind of production. He scored a whopping 5 points his last game of high school......

booogaga

if borden goes to prep school is his loi still binding or can he go anywhere after the season. for instance, he he goes prep is there a chance we could loose him?
GO HOGS!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: booogaga on June 27, 2009, 09:25:37 pm
if borden goes to prep school is his loi still binding or can he go anywhere after the season. for instance, he he goes prep is there a chance we could loose him?

No it isn't binding if he attends Prep School. 
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

edt

mhuff

Whether Borden goes to prep school or UA, I hope he does what will benefit him and us the most. He actually could go to prep school and then even redshirt at UA after that. It sounds like in order to reach his fullest potential he needs more time. In the 2011 class there are several taller players that we are after. Washington is gone after this next year ,so let's hope we can replace him with a quality player. We have to remember that Mike was not an instant success. This is the SEC and we have not been recruiting one and done players. Young players take time to develop.

Billy

I don't see any way possible that Borden will ever help us. Steven Hill, Mike Washington, Darian Townes were all miles better than him at this point in their careers.

The only time i have EVER seen the kid was at the All-Star game, and i was embarrassed for our coaching staff. He looked awful.

Foshodo

Quote from: Billy on June 28, 2009, 10:13:52 am
I don't see any way possible that Borden will ever help us. Steven Hill, Mike Washington, Darian Townes were all miles better than him at this point in their careers.

The only time i have EVER seen the kid was at the All-Star game, and i was embarrassed for our coaching staff. He looked awful.

didnt he have a back injury at the all-star game? i thought i read or heard that somewhere...

yraciv

Quote from: Foshodo on June 28, 2009, 05:25:11 pm
didnt he have a back injury at the all-star game? i thought i read or heard that somewhere...

I didn't see him in the all star game, but saw him play a high school game and aau.  The only thing I've ever seen him do is block a shot and maybe get a put back.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on June 28, 2009, 05:29:14 pm
I didn't see him in the all star game, but saw him play a high school game and aau.  The only thing I've ever seen him do is block a shot and maybe get a put back.

Sounds like Jay Bilas describing Thabeet on draft night. I'll take the interior presence anyday. Put the rock in someone else's hands.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

booogaga

Quote from: mhuff on June 28, 2009, 06:45:14 am
Whether Borden goes to prep school or UA, I hope he does what will benefit him and us the most. He actually could go to prep school and then even redshirt at UA after that. It sounds like in order to reach his fullest potential he needs more time. In the 2011 class there are several taller players that we are after. Washington is gone after this next year ,so let's hope we can replace him with a quality player. We have to remember that Mike was not an instant success. This is the SEC and we have not been recruiting one and done players. Young players take time to develop.
didnt sanchez do that?
GO HOGS!

yraciv

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 28, 2009, 05:38:44 pm
Sounds like Jay Bilas describing Thabeet on draft night. I'll take the interior presence anyday. Put the rock in someone else's hands.

Really can't put them in the same sentence.  Thabeet has had a high fg% his entire career, and has somewhat of a post game.  Not to mention he was much more polished coming to college.   I said he can get the occasional putback or blocked shot, but that isn't with any regularity.  He is the definition of a project, and in a handful of games I've never seen any real potential.

heathtits

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 28, 2009, 05:38:44 pm

5 pts, 5 rebounds in his last game of HIGH SCHOOL? He's 7 feet.

You would take that any day?

yraciv

Quote from: heathtits on June 28, 2009, 10:00:19 pm

Not to mention he wasn't playing any other guys over 6'8.  Even Steven Hill could use his size on offense at that age.

heathtits

Quote from: yraciv on June 28, 2009, 10:17:36 pm
Not to mention he wasn't playing any other guys over 6'8.  Even Steven Hill could use his size on offense at that age.

Yeah I mean I'm not trying to bash the guy but this is the best thing for everyone. He was always going to be a waste of a schollie IMO and I find it UNBELIEVABLY hard to swallow, we couldn't find someone better to offer, regardless of position/size.

I mean Jason Jennings had offensive skills in high school.......

Porkatarian

I'm willing to wager that we'll reach 13 without having to send Borden to prep school.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Porkatarian on June 29, 2009, 09:55:25 am
I'm willing to wager that we'll reach 13 without having to send Borden to prep school.

Porkatarian out...

these are the posts i troll for.  TY mr. Tarian

HoopS

I'm willing to agree with Pork here.   (and take gut punches later if I'm wrong)

Pork Twain

I was 6 ft in high school and did better than that.  True that it was against lesser talent.  I am all for prep school and seeing where he stands after a year there.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

heathtits

Quote from: BeoPig™ on June 29, 2009, 01:14:44 pm
I was 6 ft in high school and did better than that.  True that it was against lesser talent.  I am all for prep school and seeing where he stands after a year there.

Yeah I mean, everyone has bad days, but seriously? I saw him play once and it was pretty scary once I saw he got offered.

Not to mention how watered down Arkansas high school Bball was this year.

If people want to say he could make a huge stride sure maybe he could, but Vincent Hunter was a freaking superstar in high school and although I liked him, was never really up to offer serious SEC post contribution...

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: heathtits on June 29, 2009, 02:51:54 pm
Yeah I mean, everyone has bad days, but seriously? I saw him play once and it was pretty scary once I saw he got offered.

Not to mention how watered down Arkansas high school Bball was this year.

If people want to say he could make a huge stride sure maybe he could, but Vincent Hunter was a freaking superstar in high school and although I liked him, was never really up to offer serious SEC post contribution...

Guys with height like Borden are looked at differently, plain & simple.  If you search for recruits his size on a Scout database, you wont find many rated higher than him at this point.  So you take a chance & hope that you can develop the kid.  If we get him on campus & strengthen him up, put some weight on him, he will hopefully be able to contribute in a couple of years...

heathtits

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 29, 2009, 03:06:20 pm
Guys with height like Borden are looked at differently, plain & simple.  If you search for recruits his size on a Scout database, you wont find many rated higher than him at this point.  So you take a chance & hope that you can develop the kid.  If we get him on campus & strengthen him up, put some weight on him, he will hopefully be able to contribute in a couple of years...

Again, I naturally agree with this, but even guys who took tons of time to develop or didn't even make it here had skills and numbers at a high school level.

Steven Hill and Jason Jennings. Not saying I'm a fortune teller, but I really don't think our program is at a point where we can take huge risks on a schollie for someone like Borden.

Pork Twain

Some guys just don't have any skill or desire to go with their size.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

deucea729

Porkatarian out...

I actually hope Stewie's right on this one.  It sounds like the only other possible casualty at this point is Henry.

I'll take Henry on my team next year any day over a 7-footer that is widely believed to have only been signed for his size.

heathtits

Quote from: deucea729 on June 29, 2009, 07:57:12 pm
I'll take Henry on my team next year any day over a 7-footer that is widely believed to have only been signed for his size.

"widely believed" hahaha. I was thinking it was for his good looks or maybe his critical knowledge of The Great Gatsby.

Pork Twain

Porkatarian out...
Your recent track record makes me feel pretty good about everyone making it and AB going the prep route.

HamminItUp

I hope he goes to prep school as well. Let him develop and if we want to re-recruit him we do, if not we head our separate ways. I think most of us realize a 7 footer could be a great asset but so far it sounds like some guys we are in on for 2010 are probably not going to be projects.

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 27, 2009, 04:29:37 pm
Based on what others have said after watching him play, he only gives us 5 extra fouls. He's an even bigger project than Mike Washington was as a freshman. Prep school is definitely the way to go.

Washington was a 5 star recruit......

athunt

Sanchez would beast this kid and Sanchez has a hard time during warm ups.
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on June 28, 2009, 09:40:33 pm
Really can't put them in the same sentence.  Thabeet has had a high fg% his entire career, and has somewhat of a post game.  Not to mention he was much more polished coming to college.   I said he can get the occasional putback or blocked shot, but that isn't with any regularity.  He is the definition of a project, and in a handful of games I've never seen any real potential.

Come on, you know I'm not saying Bordin is in the same range as Thabeet. Not even close. But a rebound and a putback is about all we can expect from Borden. That was my point. That's what Bilas was saying NBA teams can expect from Thabeet on the pro level.

Isn't that the same with what we expected rom Steven Hill before his junior year? Check out his rebounding totals. Dismal for a player that size. But he was a factor before it was all said and done. Each player has their own skill set. Size is size though, and we don't have much of it.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgAdvocate

Yep, I'd take him on our already undersized team. Watching Washington get bullied around in the paint is tough when you expect him to play 35+ minutes and score 20+ each night. 

What did Steven Hill average at Arkansas? I don't think he averaged 5 boards and 5 PPG in any season. If he did, it wasn't much more than that.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: heathtits on June 28, 2009, 10:20:22 pm
Yeah I mean I'm not trying to bash the guy but this is the best thing for everyone. He was always going to be a waste of a schollie IMO and I find it UNBELIEVABLY hard to swallow, we couldn't find someone better to offer, regardless of position/size.

I mean Jason Jennings had offensive skills in high school.......

And Jason Jennings would have had a decent career at Arkansas if he hadn't signed on with a coach who played an uptempo system that didn't work the shot clock for decent low post looks. Jennings wasn't athletic enough to make it here though.

He went elsewhere where his skills were better utilized.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 29, 2009, 11:10:01 pm
Yep, I'd take him on our already undersized team. Watching Washington get bullied around in the paint is tough when you expect him to play 35+ minutes and score 20+ each night. 

What did Steven Hill average at Arkansas? I don't think he averaged 5 boards and 5 PPG in any season. If he did, it wasn't much more than that.

Exactly, SR. year= 4.2 ppg & 2.9 rpg...

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: heathtits on June 29, 2009, 03:12:57 pm
Again, I naturally agree with this, but even guys who took tons of time to develop or didn't even make it here had skills and numbers at a high school level.

Steven Hill and Jason Jennings. Not saying I'm a fortune teller, but I really don't think our program is at a point where we can take huge risks on a schollie for someone like Borden.

I don't think anyone expects 20+ minutes/game from Borden. He's depth, pure and simple. He's a big body to throw in when a big body is needed. And one will be needed when Washington goes out in foul trouble and the undersized Powell and Sanchez have to defend the Jarvis Varnados, John Rieks, and Daniel Ortons of the SEC.

I'm shaking my head over the fact that some of you can't see the value in this. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 29, 2009, 11:12:54 pm
And Jason Jennings would have had a decent career at Arkansas if he hadn't signed on with a coach who played an uptempo system that didn't work the shot clock for decent low post looks. Jennings wasn't athletic enough to make it here though.

He went elsewhere where his skills were better utilized.

While Jennings played well at ASU and really matured alot.  He never fully showed the potential I think alot of people saw when he first signed with Arkansas

He was a solid low post player, but really he was only known for his defensive work here more then anything
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

heathtits

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 29, 2009, 11:18:16 pm
I'm shaking my head over the fact that some of you can't see the value in this. 

Of course we can see the value in this, and no one is denying your logic. Problem is the value you're talking about is completely un-proven, and hypothetical. You have no idea if he will actually be able to back up Washington or not, nor do I, but from what I saw of him, and his measureables, I really don't think so. If he's going to prep school, apparently the coaches don't think so either.

And what is this "big body" you keep referring to? You have seen how much he weighs right? Were either Andre Clark or Brandon Moore able to do this situational Washington backup you keep talking about?

I'd just really like to know or have some of what is making you so confident in his contributions.

yraciv

Quote from: heathtits on June 30, 2009, 12:00:18 am
Of course we can see the value in this, and no one is denying your logic. Problem is the value you're talking about is completely un-proven, and hypothetical. You have no idea if he will actually be able to back up Washington or not, nor do I, but from what I saw of him, and his measureables, I really don't think so. If he's going to prep school, apparently the coaches don't think so either.

And what is this "big body" you keep referring to? You have seen how much he weighs right? Were either Andre Clark or Brandon Moore able to do this situational Washington backup you keep talking about?

I'd just really like to know or have some of what is making you so confident in his contributions.

This!  No doubt a big body is beneficial, but I'm not convinced a 6'9 talented player wouldn't have been beter.  He didn't start in AAU and put up very mediocre numbers in high school.  You can plug him in, but I'm not sure he'll do anything.  If Ihad to breakdown his skill set; I'd say he is worse then his fellow 7'0 at rebounding, low post offense, and defensive positioning.  He is alright, just doesn't seem to have an SEC skill set.  It could develop a couple years down the road, but I just don't see it now.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: heathtits on June 30, 2009, 12:00:18 am

Who said he has to contribute major minutes right away? He's d-e-p-t-h on an undersized frontcourt. He's five fouls with a wingspan that could become a defensive difference maker in a few years. Seriously, did you not watch Washington spend more than half of the past season bent over holding his knees? You want Powell or Sanchez defending Orton, Cousins, Riek, and Varnado if Washington is out for extended stretches? Ok, good luck with that. Please feel free to explain how that will go down.

I know you and Yraciv are to young to remember bigs like Shawn Davis, Ray Biggers, and Elmer Martin. All were valuable teammates. Were they worthy to be mentioned in the same breath as Day, Mayberry, Miller, Corliss, etc? Hell no. But they played their roles.

You guys are nitpicking over guys who will sit at the end of our bench and be used in spot situations. There's nothing wrong with taking a 7'0" project, especially when you only have one guy over 6'10".

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: yraciv on June 30, 2009, 12:49:41 am
This!  No doubt a big body is beneficial, but I'm not convinced a 6'9 talented player wouldn't have been beter.  He didn't start in AAU and put up very mediocre numbers in high school.  You can plug him in, but I'm not sure he'll do anything.  If Ihad to breakdown his skill set; I'd say he is worse then his fellow 7'0 at rebounding, low post offense, and defensive positioning.  He is alright, just doesn't seem to have an SEC skill set.  It could develop a couple years down the road, but I just don't see it now.

CV, if you know of a more talented 6'9" post ready to sign, that's so good that we simply drop an in-state kid, please let us know. Also, I am curious if you guys can futher detail what an official "SEC skill set" would be.

I wasn't aware that even half the teams in SEC basketball had rosters filled with nothing but elite, fully skilled bigs with no question marks.

Pork Twain

Quote from: athunt on June 29, 2009, 10:31:06 pm
Sanchez would beast this kid and Sanchez has a hard time during warm ups.
Is beasting someone something like man-rape???

Pork Twain

I am looking for Delvin Johnson to give us some depth in the middle.

zebra

Quote from: Billy on June 28, 2009, 10:13:52 am

I truly hope he is hurt too, because my first look of him was at the all star game as well.  He ran the floor about two trips, and after 0-2, inlcluding an air ball from 4 feet away, the back problem crept up awfully fast.  He was walking down the court and begging the all-star coaches to take him out.  They made him stay in the game(for the rest of the quarter, about 3 more minutes).  He stayed down on the defensive end for 3 possessions in a row.  Not that he was defending his man, his man was dominating him.  On the off. end when he would not run down, his man was helping everyone else and got a couple of blocks. Not that I had a tape measure, but I would say like 6'10 tops, and 190 soaking wet.  We are not talking about athletic type, we are talking Manute Bol type, skinny.

yraciv

My point is the numbers have to work out.  It's pretty obvious to me that Borden is the least prepared to play in the SEC at this point.  He is young, raw, and an athletic big, so maybe he'll get there.  He isn't there yet, and at this point I'd rather have an undersized Powell or Sanchez going up against the other teams post.   Even though he has a couple inches on those guys he won't have any success stopping those guys, all he would be is
extra fouls.  What's your solution to fix the numbers?

ruarealhogfan

It's not like any team plays 13 deep come game time.  Redshirt the kid & GET him Div1 ready...