Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Still not making the tourney...ESPN

Started by ImMcLovin, June 19, 2009, 03:22:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ImMcLovin

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology?id=3232345

I HOPE we prove him wrong but I seriously don't see us making the tournament AGAIN

ruarealhogfan

Kind of pointless at this time.  Even when they do these a month before the tourney they get a few wrong.  Anyway, if Mike Washington improves 1/2 as much as did last offseason & if Powell makes it to campus, i think our team will better than most think...

Overtheroadtruckdriver

We still have a left handed issue to contend with, as bad as I hate to open that can of worms up again...

UltimateHog

This is stupid.

Who cares right now really?

We could miss the tourny just like we could miss a bowl game.

Or we could win the West in both sports.

It's frickin JUNE.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

3kgthog

All I know is BP's team showed me improvement and heart. Pelphrey's boys didn't do much but flame out and then lay down and die. I know which team I'm betting on to make the postseason and it isn't the cast of Boyz 'N the Hood over at BWA.

rzrbackrob

I'm looking forward to this basketball season. I can't imagine they will not at least make the NIT. This next year making the NCAA tournament will be tough, but if this team finds a leader anything is possible.
Good is the enemy of great

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 20, 2009, 02:11:34 am
All I know is BP's team showed me improvement and heart. Pelphrey's boys didn't do much but flame out and then lay down and die. I know which team I'm betting on to make the postseason and it isn't the cast of Boyz 'N the Hood over at BWA.

What neck of the woods you from?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: 3kgthog on June 20, 2009, 02:11:34 am

BP's boys also played a lot fewer games with a lot more senior leadership on the sidelines (compared to JP's team).

That late-season South Carolina game didn't say much for our football team though. That was awful. The loss to Mississippi St. right after wasn't supposed to be either.

Things must be kept in persepctive. Every young team needs maturity and experience to get over the hump. Pel's team had next to none last year. He'll have much more this season. 
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on June 21, 2009, 11:01:05 am
BP's boys also played a lot fewer games with a lot more senior leadership on the sidelines (compared to JP's team).

That late-season South Carolina game didn't say much for our football team though. That was awful. The loss to Mississippi St. right after wasn't supposed to be either.

Things must be kept in persepctive. Every young team needs maturity and experience to get over the hump. Pel's team had next to none last year. He'll have much more this season.

Exactly, it's funny how things are remembered the way people want to remember them, instead of how they actually happened...

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 21, 2009, 11:36:58 am
Exactly, it's funny how things are remembered the way people want to remember them, instead of how they actually happened...

I remember the football team winning as many conference games as the basketball team in far fewer games. That actually happened

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on June 21, 2009, 12:52:48 pm
I remember the football team winning as many conference games as the basketball team in far fewer games. That actually happened

The football team struggled just as much as the bball team did.  That is the point.  Like it or not, we beat LSU on a miracle 4th down play on our home field to narrowly escape a 1-7 SEC record.  This was the same LSU squad who had been trounced the week before by Ole Piss in Baton Rouge.  Would like to see a little consistency from you guys is all.  BOTH coaches, the proven & the unproven, struggled with lineups that lacked veteran leadership & experience.  BOTH coaches brought in more talent & valuable depth & BOTH teams should be vastly improved in their upcoming seasons...

The_Bionic_Pig

This is a good read on Mr. Lunardi's tourney pick record: (click below photo)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

rzrbackrob

I remember the basketball team had a better winning %.
Both teams just did not have the personnel and experience to win last year. We all knew it was coming, it was just tough to watch. This year will be better, but I'm not expecting any championships. If one or both teams win one, I'll enjoy it.
Good is the enemy of great

Hot_Town_Hog

Lunardi is pretty close the weekend brackets are announced,  but I bet not very close 9 months in advance.

Anyone actually watch this team have a lead against seemingly everyone, minus 2 games, only to run out of gas? The lack of bench was the killer.

With the whole team returninig, with at least one All-SEC player, and a couple of new comers that could really surprise some folks, how can you be writing this guys off?

Wait and see the level of play we will see from Wash this year. Not only is he playing for millions of $'s, he will have much more help inside with Powell. Get Courtney, Clarke, Henry, and Farmer in sync, and this will be a pretty good team that could make the NCAAT.

While I am excited about football, last year was one of the worst teams I have ever seen wear a Razorback unifirm at times. Remember that we should have lost to WIU and ULM? That is almost unheard of from a BCS school. We did show signs of improvements, and one a couple of big games, but that was not a fun season to endure by any means. 

I predict much better in both this year, with the BB team likely being ahead of the FB team. Both will be improved, and the FG schedule is brutal. We have a better chance to make the NCAAT than we do make a major bowl in FB. We are still one year away, or 3 years in total for football.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on June 21, 2009, 10:01:42 pm
Lunardi is pretty close the weekend brackets are announced,  but I bet not very close 9 months in advance.

Anyone actually watch this team have a lead against seemingly everyone, minus 2 games, only to run out of gas? The lack of bench was the killer.

With the whole team returninig, with at least one All-SEC player, and a couple of new comers that could really surprise some folks, how can you be writing this guys off?

Wait and see the level of play we will see from Wash this year. Not only is he playing for millions of $'s, he will have much more help inside with Powell. Get Courtney, Clarke, Henry, and Farmer in sync, and this will be a pretty good team that could make the NCAAT.

While I am excited about football, last year was one of the worst teams I have ever seen wear a Razorback unifirm at times. Remember that we should have lost to WIU and ULM? That is almost unheard of from a BCS school. We did show signs of improvements, and one a couple of big games, but that was not a fun season to endure by any means. 

I predict much better in both this year, with the BB team likely being ahead of the FB team. Both will be improved, and the FG schedule is brutal. We have a better chance to make the NCAAT than we do make a major bowl in FB. We are still one year away, or 3 years in total for football.

+1

UltimateHog

Washington is going to rise to another level this year.

Book it.

Those millions on the table will have him busting it like we've never seen.

That alone is enough to win the pathetic West.

I really think we have a GOOD shot at taking the West, not that that's saying a whole lot, but that will get us a tourny bid.
Quote from: cityhog on January 14, 2012, 04:48:21 pm
I'll honestly be shocked if CMA ever goes above .500 in conference play as coach here.

ruarealhogfan

Agreed, Wash will be a beast this season, I can see 20 & 10 easily within his grasp.  He has to stay out of foul trouble for this to happen.  Miss. St. should be good, though, with the return of Vanardo & if Sidney makes it through the clearing house, even better.  I hear Riek won't play until 2011, but we'll see...

rogersvillemohog

The one thing I have never gotten was... why does the NCAA pick teams like Cornell, Tulsa, Butler, ect unless they deserve it?  ??? I know that Penn St, Baylor, or Florida could have made a run, had the NCAA let them into the tourney. The teams like Cornell didn't do a single thing. Thoughts? I will hang up and listen.  :-X   
Arkansas Football: It's the players running through the A, Hog Hats, and Big Red. It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "WOO PIG SOOIE!"

Arkansas Football: It's the State of Arkansas banding together behind one team, and a mascot like no other. Those select few who put on the jersey are... chosen. They wear the colors, they pay the price, and they succeed. They are exceptional, they are Razorbacks.

Together we stand as tall as the towers of Old Main. Our memories are etched in stone like names on Senior Walk. And our blood flows Razorbacks Red. For 100 years we've been Hogwild and today we continue the tradition.

We are Arkansas Razorbacks!

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 21, 2009, 01:20:45 pm
The football team struggled just as much as the bball team did.  That is the point.  Like it or not, we beat LSU on a miracle 4th down play on our home field to narrowly escape a 1-7 SEC record.  This was the same LSU squad who had been trounced the week before by Ole Piss in Baton Rouge.  Would like to see a little consistency from you guys is all.  BOTH coaches, the proven & the unproven, struggled with lineups that lacked veteran leadership & experience.  BOTH coaches brought in more talent & valuable depth & BOTH teams should be vastly improved in their upcoming seasons...

What exactly is inconsistent in me saying that the football team won as many conference games as the basketball team? That's me stating facts. Is it, or is it not true that the basketball hogs played 17 conference games while football played 6? That's not inconsistency, that's freaking black and white, as plain as it gets!

Just to clear it up 17>6. That means 17 is more than 6, far more, actually.

And you answered your own question didn't you? We don't know what Pelphrey is capable of, we know what he did at South Alabama, one tournament appearance. We know what comes with a Bobby Petrino. When he has everything cooking you're going to be in the mix for a conference and potentially a national title.

Pelphrey? Who the heck knows? We're liable to make the tournament, but we're just as liable to post the worst Arkansas SEC record ever. You see what I'm saying?

Again, 17 is more than 6. If you win 2 out of 17 games, that's far far far far far far far far far far far far far far far (get the idea here?) worse than finishing 2-6.

Besides, in football we were one game away from a bowl game, which is a miracle considering the crap Nuttless left us. Pelphrey actually had some talent that Stan Heath was good enough to leave him in Welsh and Washington. And in basketball you don't need as many great players. Two can do it. Now, Welsh isn't that great, but Wash was and is our best player.

Also, in football we were one Mike Smith non-fumble at Kentucky and one no-call against Ole Miss from splitting our conference games, which again, would have been remarkable.

Now, this is the point where you'll probably point "Um, we could have lost to Western Illinois and La-Monroe". That might be true, but I've found in my time that noone cares if you could have won, just whether or not you did.

In the interests of being fair, lets consider the games we "could have" won in basketball. Tennessee, probably should have won, I'll admit as much. Can't count Miss. St. considering we scored like 6 points in the second half and couldn't get one stop. LSU at home was a possibility. Ole Miss and South Carolina were overtime losses.

There's 4 "possible" wins, that would have bumped our record to a dynamite 6-10.

That's a best-case scenario. That's an "if everything fell just right in the World, got every break, got every call and made every big shot". 6-10. You people glorify the guy for a best-case 6-10. Again, I'm just a little tougher to impress than that I suppose.

Also, don't compare Junior Pelphrey to a head coach that's been to the BCS please. Like ever. Let's make this a rule for this board. Let's never compare Pelphrey to coaches that have been to Final Fours or the BCS or the College World Series, can we adopt that rule? Can we all agree on this?

HoopS

We play 8 conference games in football, not 6.

Football is certainly in good hands and headed the right direction. 

We'll see how our hoops team progresses next season. 

Kris P. Bacon

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on June 22, 2009, 01:19:22 am
Also, in football we were one Mike Smith non-fumble at Kentucky and one no-call against Ole Miss from splitting our conference games, which again, would have been remarkable.

Now, this is the point where you'll probably point "Um, we could have lost to Western Illinois and La-Monroe". That might be true, but I've found in my time that noone cares if you could have won, just whether or not you did.

Contradict yourself much?
"I am fond of pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
– Winston Churchill

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 19, 2009, 03:33:23 pm
Kind of pointless at this time.  Even when they do these a month before the tourney they get a few wrong.  Anyway, if Mike Washington improves 1/2 as much as did last offseason & if Powell makes it to campus, i think our team will better than most think...
Quote from: UltimateHog on June 19, 2009, 08:58:51 pm
This is stupid.

Who cares right now really?

We could miss the tourny just like we could miss a bowl game.

Or we could win the West in both sports.

It's frickin JUNE.

No, no.  We should just shut it down now.  Lock the doors at Walton, and save all that electricity and manpower expenses to have a BB program. We could probably save the University millions and also save the Foundation as well. 

It's a done deal, give it up.  Some talking head on the internet said it, so it is fact.

After the FB season this fall, we can just focus on baseball.  Go diamond Hogs!!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: HoopS on June 22, 2009, 07:04:20 am
We play 8 conference games in football, not 6.

Football is certainly in good hands and headed the right direction. 

We'll see how our hoops team progresses next season.

Yeah, we do play 8, I don't know what I was thinking.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Razors85 on June 22, 2009, 12:22:27 pm
Contradict yourself much?

No, I don't. I talked about all close games, potential wins and losses. I also talked about potential wins in basketball, as I said at the time, just to be fair.

I like to explore all sides of an argument.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on June 22, 2009, 01:40:27 pm
Yeah, we do play 8, I don't know what I was thinking.

And my point was, if you can fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-llow it, is that 1-7 in football & 2-14 in basketball would not be any less pathetic & if it's ok for an established coach to struggle with an inexperienced team, then it should be understood that our bball coach struggled under similar circumstances.  I believe we underachieved with both teams, but not that much considering.  As I have said before both teams will be extremely improved & should have really good seasons coming up...

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 22, 2009, 01:47:03 pm
And my point was, if you can fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-fo-llow it, is that 1-7 in football & 2-14 in basketball would not be any less pathetic & if it's ok for an established coach to struggle with an inexperienced team, then it should be understood that our bball coach struggled under similar circumstances.  I believe we underachieved with both teams, but not that much considering.  As I have said before both teams will be extremely improved & should have really good seasons coming up...

1-7 is somewhat comparable to 2-15, but we didn't go 1-7, we went 2-6. That's just like saying if we had closed out Kentucky, Ole Miss and Miss. St. we would have finished 5-3. Hypotheticals help noone, let's just focus on what happened in reality. In reality the football team won as many conference games as basketball

Again, the football team won 2 conference games.

The basketball team won 2 conference games.

Football played 8 total conference games.

Basketball played 17 total conference games.

This isn't hard. Also, with an inexperienced team, a coach can make all the difference. I feel like Bobby Petrino was able to swing both of our football wins to us. Basketball we can't say the same. We won two games in conference, beating Alabama the day after they fired their coach and beat a bad Georgia team. Neither of those teams played in any kind of postseason, LSU at least won a bowl game.

Again, both should be much improved this year. I think that football will be able to pull off 8 wins or so, which would be nice, setting up for a big run in 2010. Basketball I'm not sold on, in the least. Again, we should be better, but if we're not, what then? We don't have forever to give Pelphrey. He seems like a nice enough guy, but that don't cut it if you're posting records for futility in Arkansas history.

hogman06

Boy, I think we will be fine. Do ya'll not remember all the games that we were ahead in during the first half. We had NO depth, so our guys just ran out of gas. When we get depth, we will be able to finish games and protect that 15-20 point lead we have in the first half. I think it will be completely different when we have enough quality players that we can press for a good portion of the game and not get tired. That's what I saw last year, as well as dumb freshman mistakes. Other than that, we will be fine.