Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey Speaks On Beverley, Britt, Staff, Etc.

Started by Chris Bahn, June 12, 2009, 01:46:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris Bahn

Honestly, I try to keep the self promotion to a minimum. It probably doesn't seem like it since I just started a thread to pimp an article, but I figured you guys would be interested in what Pel had to say since it's been so long since he spoke to media.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/sports_blog_post.asp?pID=4624

WilsonHog

Quote from: Chris Bahn on June 12, 2009, 01:46:41 pm
Honestly, I try to keep the self promotion to a minimum. It probably doesn't seem like it since I just started a thread to pimp an article, but I figured you guys would be interested in what Pel had to say since it's been so long since he spoke to media.

Thanks, Chris.

BTW, outstanding column on our basketball team in this month's Arkansas Sports 360.com. I very much enjoyed it.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: Chris Bahn on June 12, 2009, 01:46:41 pm

Can only speak for myself, but any info on the Hogs is greatly appreciated...

bigdaddyhawg

Something positive about Jason Henry??  But it's true.

"I would say Jason is still day-to-day. It's no different than you've heard," Pelphrey said.  "He had a very good spring academically. That needs to continue here in the summer. Hopefully (the spring) encourages him."
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hawaiianhogster

Let them heal as a team. Give them time to make things better. Everyone wins.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: AlgonquinHogFan on June 23, 2009, 02:57:53 pm
yeah i have an idea, put sanchez on the bench. Hogs win.

As much as you guys like to rag on Sanchez, he will end up being a good player.  He did improve & showed a few flashes of what he could become towards the end of last season.  As I have stated on here before, it was just his first season & he was thrust into a starting role that he wasn't ready for.  Even so, he did post better #'s than McGowan did at Miami as a 4th year Jr...

bigdaddyhawg

I think Algonquin could be right even if he wasn't ragging (I understand he was).  Sanchez can be a solid contributor coming off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game.  That would require either Powell or the JC center to become a starter right away, and that would also be a very encouraging development.

You end up with a better group of starters and better subs.  That works for me!
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Buck Ocean

This guy's first post was a slam from the free throw line.
Think like a Jedi

FSHog67

Sanchez normally would have been red shirted, however we needed him last year.  He will be better than many on here think.  One years experience in the SEC makes a big difference.

ruarealhogfan

Quote from: FSHog67 on June 23, 2009, 07:50:00 pm
Sanchez normally would have been red shirted, however we needed him last year.  He will be better than many on here think.  One years experience in the SEC makes a big difference.

He has already red-shirted, but he still wasn't ready to be starting at PF...

HoopS

He struggled, but had nice flashes.   My main request out of Sanchez is to work with his hands in receiving sharp passes and just working on figuring out how to avoid getting thrown too much.   

I like the kid.  He's physical.  He seems to have the work ethic.  He just needs to be ready for passes like Fort will throw because Nobles will pop him in the forehead just the same. 

I see him more as good depth than a frontline starter.

kingofdequeen

Quote from: Buck Ocean on June 23, 2009, 04:57:48 pm
This guy's first post was a slam from the free throw line.

with a windmill.

I love sanchez's grit, but we need more from the 4 than yeoman effort.  We need a finisher to complement Mike W.  I really do feel this basketball team is close.

we need Henry to continue the process of his cranialrectaloscopy.  we need powell to pull a qualification out of thin air.  if those two things happen, we can challenge in the West and be back in the tournament.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: kingofdequeen on June 24, 2009, 09:34:35 am
we need Henry to continue the process of his cranialrectaloscopy. 

Nice analysis! +1

Speedracer

I think Henry has the biggest upside and would be a huge loss if he couldn't play.  I think with Powell coming in and let Sanchez come off the bench...we could have a nice solid starting five and sanchez could add on some much needed depth.
Like smites bother me.

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

Ham Ham Pigelow

Quote from: ruarealhogfan on June 23, 2009, 03:07:01 pm
As much as you guys like to rag on Sanchez, he will end up being a good player.  He did improve & showed a few flashes of what he could become towards the end of last season.  As I have stated on here before, it was just his first season & he was thrust into a starting role that he wasn't ready for.  Even so, he did post better #'s than McGowan did at Miami as a 4th year Jr...
pfft

OKhogfan1959

Quote from: rzrbackrob on June 25, 2009, 03:57:08 pm
I appreciate Sanchez giving it 110%.

I am with you on Sanchez. He is going to make a better player than many think.

Chris Bahn

June 29, 2009, 10:50:24 am #17 Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 10:52:55 am by Chris Bahn
Quote from: WilsonHog on June 12, 2009, 02:28:08 pm
Thanks, Chris.

BTW, outstanding column on our basketball team in this month's Arkansas Sports 360.com. I very much enjoyed it.
Thanks for the kind words, Wilson.

Going to be interesting to see how this bkb season shakes out.

And as far as Sanchez, he's a solid player, but like a lot of guys on the team last year, was being asked to do more than he was ready for. He's not a second scoring option down low, but was asked to do that.

Sanchez does a lot of the dirty work nobody else wants to do on this team. Will he score 20 a game? No. But his contributions can be just as important.

Pork Twain

Great breakdown on Sanchez and I could not agree more.  He is like a taller, more talented version of me.  In high school I was not a scoring threat, but could score.  My primary purpose was defense and rebounding.  I was great at that.  Just do not expect me to turn into Larry Johnson or Big Nasty if everyone else fouls out.  I think he could excel in the correct role.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/