Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why Firing Won't Happen Until Season's End

Started by moses_007, November 06, 2017, 11:48:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

moses_007

Let's understand that there are serious considerations in the Athletic Department to let CBB go at season's end.  I've seen more than one thread on here about the need to fire him right now, and in a way I tend to agree with that.

Jeff Long isn't going to do it because he wants to see what this team can do the next three games, all of which are SEC contests.  We've now won two in a row by the skin of our teeth, but what if the Hogs overnight get their act together in all phases of the game and win out.  We'd finish the regular season 7-5, and if we won our bowl, we'd have an improbable 8-5 record that no one here expects at this point.

Even during the Nutt years when we had some lousy records entering November, the Hogs managed to reel off 4 or 5 straight victories and wound up with a much better record than anyone expected.  Can the Hogs do this again, in 2017? 

The key to this happening is the LSU game.  If somehow, some way, we could manage to win in Baton Rouge, winning out is then conceivable.  Lose that game, and there's no chance. 

Cole Kelley is getting better with each game and he's finding out how to win at the end of ballgames.  That's something we haven't seen one season before since Bielema has been here. 

Can Arkansas win out?  I doubt it, but stranger things have happened in the game of football.  This is the only way Bielema saves his job. 

dfwalumdad

well a far more likely scenario is we lose the next two games badly and we make the announcement prior to the missouri game that it would be bret's last game.

for what it's worth i've heard from a fairly reliable source that he's been coaching for his "life" since the scar game.

even the ole miss game we made them look like bama for the first 25 minutes, heck we made coastal carolina look like bama.

moses_007

The key is LSU.  Win that one, and the final two are at home and we have a chance.  If LSU beats us 50-3 or worse, Bielema might be fired the next morning.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: moses_007 on November 06, 2017, 11:48:10 am

Jeff Long isn't going to do it because he wants to see what this team can do the next three games, all of which are SEC contests.  We've now won two in a row by the skin of our teeth, but what if the Hogs overnight get their act together in all phases of the game and win out.  We'd finish the regular season 7-5, and if we won our bowl, we'd have an improbable 8-5 record that no one here expects at this point.

Jeffy did not ask himself this question because he has already seen what happens twice now as CBB's team went through this same roller coaster in 2014 and 2015.  Could they win a few this year?  Yes.  If Bielema is around will he bottom out the beginning of 2018 at Aubur and Arlington and maybe even in Fort Collins?  You can all but chisel that in stone.

Jeff's question as always is what choice reflects best on Jeffy and gives himthe best chanceof extending his own employment. 

What is left to win for this Arkansas teamin 2017?

LSU, the team that lost at home to Troy?

MSU, the team that struggled itself to get by lowly UMass istself the only team to lose to Coastal Carolina this year (just barely the only team).

Mizzou, the winner of one power five game this year over a rudderless UF team?

Dream on.  Anyway due to a scheduling freak this team hasn't had a break since early September and the last two weeks have been emotionally draining to boot. 

The carpetbagger doubtless has it in his bag of tricks to let the team THINK they are saving Bielema's job but that's not going to hold up much longer. 

The Bielema era is running on empty now and it's only a small number of hustling players out there pushing hard keeping the wreck creeping toward the finish line.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Just wait and see what the LSU game holds.  Run of the mill L say by 10 or less, yeah no announcement will be made.  Blowout L by 21 or more where we just look totally unprepared and uninspired I wouldn't be surprised if an announcement was made a week from today.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HawgNthaWater

i haven't read the contract but I want imagine that there are significant financial ramifications for the program if we fire him during the season as compared to the end of the season and or calendar year.
"Listen old man, it's 4th and 1. Either stand up and watch, or just imagine the sh*t like you did during the golden era of radio!"

ipigsooie

There is no reason to fire him before the end of the season. JL will have already hired Norvell, via his agent, and Norvell will finish out the regular season with Memphis.  Norvell will be announced a week after the final game and will apologize to his kids for not being able to coach them in the bowl game and hits the recruiting trail.  Our recruiting class goes from being ranked 70th to the top 30ish and Norvell will sign some kids to fill some of the holes we have. Next year we will start off the year with a renewed energy and excitement for razorback football. Wps

RexMentor

Part of me thinks CBB may be gone regardless of what happens in the next three games. It's his attitude lately that makes me think that. Lose two or three and yes, he's fired or quits and get to say Arkansas is too tough of a place to win at. Win all three and he goes some place else, thumbing his nose at all the "negativity" saving his ego and salvaging his career in the process.

jst01

If anyone in power can look at the last two years and really tell themselves "I think BB is the man to lead this program to new heights", then they don't understand anything.  I think the odds Hogs win out is like 1%, and even then I think BB will be gone next year.

Vantage 8 dude

The only advantage I could see firing CBB before the end of the season would be to "clear the air" once and for all for setting up next season. However, to do that you would really need to already have your next head man lined up and solidly "nailed down". Otherwise even if you make a formal announcement we could end up in the situation LSU was at the end last year when they fired LM thinking they had their "bride" in the form of Herman. We all saw who got left holding the bag at the alter on that one.

Having the next guy firmed up will obviously be even more critical this year when there is going to be a LOT of movement just within the conference. Not even counting what might be happening nationally.

swinemaster

Next season is already shot.  There isn't a coach in America who could win with the players we have in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  The right guy will need a couple of classes to repair this mess that we currently have.

Weak in the trenches and slow on the edges.  Recipe for disaster.

GolfHog

If he won out he should still be fired. How many more years do you want to watch this mess?

It was bad enough watching Nutt go 8-3. Watching this idiot go 7-5 is for the birds.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: swinemaster on November 06, 2017, 02:31:03 pm
Next season is already shot.  There isn't a coach in America who could win with the players we have in the trenches on both sides of the ball.  The right guy will need a couple of classes to repair this mess that we currently have.

Perhaps; then again, who knows what a new approach and a new set of coaches might be able to accomplish. We aren't totally devoid of talent and we sure the heck could have shown better effort, technique and skills than what we've seen since the TCU game. Besides, any new coach would have to be given a minimum of three years to not only get the culture changed but to get his own players into place. Why delay the inevitable any longer ???

swinemaster

I think the weekend of Nov. 25-26 will be just fine. 

Ironhawg

As long as we don't have to endure another season of the Bielema experience, the day after Mizzou is fine by me.

Cylinder

The problem is that if he wins out -- or even just beats LSU -- he rebuts the only excuse left to him - a complete lack of talent.

If he wins he should be fired for being incompetent in identifying talent.

If he loses he should be fired for being what's in front of everyone's nose.

You either tolerate .300 conference and .500 overall or you do not. It really is that simple.

pigz

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 06, 2017, 02:10:05 pm
There is no reason to fire him before the end of the season. JL will have already hired Norvell, via his agent, and Norvell will finish out the regular season with Memphis.  Norvell will be announced a week after the final game and will apologize to his kids for not being able to coach them in the bowl game and hits the recruiting trail.  Our recruiting class goes from being ranked 70th to the top 30ish and Norvell will sign some kids to fill some of the holes we have. Next year we will start off the year with a renewed energy and excitement for razorback football. Wps

I could deal with this.
You guys have a good time frig dancing

LJHOG

We will lose the rest of our games by more than four touchdowns unless there is a flu outbreak and one of them forfeits.

bkjbearcat

I listened to Kansas City talk radio and many here are talking about KU's AD Sheahon Zenger could be shown the door with Beaty at season's end. Many in KU don't trust Zenger and his football hires. Could be an easy out for Long if Zenger is out. Just throwing it out there.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

okrazorback

I would not be surprised  if he is still here next year. Hope not.

okrazorback

Quote from: pigz on November 06, 2017, 02:49:28 pm
I could deal with this.
I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I am not impressed with this choice.

SemperFi

It's going to take more than just the Hogs getting their act together. I would say Devine intervention is needed in order for this team to even compete the rest of the way. Bielema and his Hogs will get blown out two of their final 3 games and then find a way to lose to Mizzou, again to finish the season at 4-9. I don't want to see us lose, but based upon what we've seen to date the Razorbacks juts won their last game of the 2017 season.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

pigz

Quote from: okrazorback on November 06, 2017, 03:02:11 pm
I probably don't know what I'm talking about but I am not impressed with this choice.

I don't think he is my first choice, but we could do a lot worse..
You guys have a good time frig dancing

GolfnHog

November 06, 2017, 03:38:21 pm #23 Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 03:49:02 pm by GolfnHog

Pass me some of what you're partaking, my friend. I don't see this happening on any day ending in "Y"(except the last sentence!).
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

GolfnHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on November 06, 2017, 02:40:39 pm
Perhaps; then again, who knows what a new approach and a new set of coaches might be able to accomplish. We aren't totally devoid of talent and we sure the heck could have shown better effort, technique and skills than what we've seen since the TCU game. Besides, any new coach would have to be given a minimum of three years to not only get the culture changed but to get his own players into place. Why delay the inevitable any longer ???

I think the talent is on this team. Now, whether it's been allowed to flourish or get on the field is the $64K question. That seems to have several variables and no solid answers.  That being said, I think a new coaching staff immediately changes the on-field culture. The culture outside the playing field is solid and I'm grateful for that. I don't think it takes 3 full years to see the improvements. Maybe, I'm just wanting some positive vibes so badly I'm being a tad bit myopic in my view.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

moses_007

Norvell just might be the guy to turn this sinking ship around.  He'd probably gladly take the job for $2.5 million also, which would save us some $$$......

The NewEra

Quote from: moses_007 on November 06, 2017, 04:15:41 pm
Norvell just might be the guy to turn this sinking ship around.  He'd probably gladly take the job for $2.5 million also, which would save us some $$$......

He may also be the only logical choice considering all of the jobs that will be open.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: moses_007 on November 06, 2017, 12:04:09 pm
The key is LSU.  Win that one, and the final two are at home and we have a chance.  If LSU beats us 50-3 or worse, Bielema might be fired the next morning.

I want some of what you are smoking.  LSU in Baton Rouge is a LOSS....  Do you remember what they did to us in Fayetteville last year?  And that Arkansas team was a world beater compared to this one.    Mississippi State will beat us by 14-21 points.  Nick Fiotzgerald will run wild....  Lastly, MIZZOU has a very good offense.  Not much of a defense, but a VERY GOOD offense.  Arkansas has NEITHER.....  4-8  BOOK IT.
Good luck to ALL of our Razorback teams!!

elksnort

Quote from: swinemaster on November 06, 2017, 02:31:03 pm

I disagree. I think maybe a different approach with the strength and conditioning could show we might have a little more speed than it is showing

elksnort

Quote from: GTOWNHOG on November 06, 2017, 06:47:43 pm
I want some of what you are smoking.  LSU in Baton Rouge is a LOSS....  Do you remember what they did to us in Fayetteville last year?  And that Arkansas team was a world beater compared to this one.    Mississippi State will beat us by 14-21 points.  Nick Fiotzgerald will run wild....  Lastly, MIZZOU has a very good offense.  Not much of a defense, but a VERY GOOD offense.  Arkansas has NEITHER.....  4-8  BOOK IT.
I believe you are right. And especially since you typed BOOK IT.

kd67

Quote from: HawgNthaWater on November 06, 2017, 02:04:46 pm
i haven't read the contract but I want imagine that there are significant financial ramifications for the program if we fire him during the season as compared to the end of the season and or calendar year.

per his contract he can't be fired during regular season. https://hkm.com/football/contracts/bret-bielema/

Hoggish1

There is no reason to fire him before the end of the season. JL will have already hired Norvell, via his agent, and Norvell will finish out the regular season with Memphis.  Norvell will be announced a week after the final game and will apologize to his kids for not being able to coach them in the bowl game and hits the recruiting trail. 

Regardless of who the new coach is, there will not be a stupid firing after a loss regardless of how bad it is.  So, I would agree with this ^

code red

Let's understand that there are serious considerations in the Athletic Department to let CBB go at season's end.  I've seen more than one thread on here about the need to fire him right now, and in a way I tend to agree with that.

Even during the Nutt years when we had some lousy records entering November, the Hogs managed to reel off 4 or 5 straight victories and wound up with a much better record than anyone expected.  Can the Hogs do this again, in 2017? 

The key to this happening is the LSU game.  If somehow, some way, we could manage to win in Baton Rouge, winning out is then conceivable.  Lose that game, and there's no chance. 

Cole Kelley is getting better with each game and he's finding out how to win at the end of ballgames.  That's something we haven't seen one season before since Bielema has been here. 

Can Arkansas win out?  I doubt it, but stranger things have happened in the game of football.  This is the only way Bielema saves his job.
I agree with everything except what u said about Cole Kelley.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Bkhardicars

I disagree with next year being shot. Our biggest problem is from a motivational stand point. We hung with TCU and Aggies. Granted, we are not inth class if Auburn and BAMA athletically, but a motivator and disciplinarian would go a long way towards improving this team.

jvanhorn

Quote from: bkjbearcat on November 06, 2017, 02:50:26 pm
I listened to Kansas City talk radio and many here are talking about KU's AD Sheahon Zenger could be shown the door with Beaty at season's end. Many in KU don't trust Zenger and his football hires. Could be an easy out for Long if Zenger is out. Just throwing it out there.

You mean somebody up there actually gives a crap about KU football?

HardCore

I say keep CBB for the final 3 games and Fire Long immediately
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Paul

Quote from: SemperFi on November 06, 2017, 03:04:18 pm
It's going to take more than just the Hogs getting their act together. I would say Devine intervention is needed in order for this team to even compete the rest of the way. Bielema and his Hogs will get blown out two of their final 3 games and then find a way to lose to Mizzou, again to finish the season at 4-9. I don't want to see us lose, but based upon what we've seen to date the Razorbacks juts won their last game of the 2017 season.
Dan Devine? Sorry. Couldn't resist

Paul

where do I sign up for this?  I really think this a likely scenario

root_hawg

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: root_hawg on November 06, 2017, 09:00:52 pm
He won't be fired this season.

If he finishes 4-8 with bad losses to LSU, MSU, and MIZZOU......   I think he's history.

GTOWNHOG

Quote from: kd67 on November 06, 2017, 07:34:06 pm
per his contract he can't be fired during regular season. https://hkm.com/football/contracts/bret-bielema/

So he CAN be fired as soon as November 27th.  That is the END of our dismal regular season....

redneckfriend

The point has been made here many times. Long understands that impatience with a coach is a sure fire way to get a less good coach next time than might otherwise be the case. The calculation is simple- Bielema is not going to win three games, probably not one game, but he could and unless he is given the opportunity to show he can't it looks like impatience on the part of the AD.

In addition, if Bielema is fired the rest of this season will not get better- probably worse if that is possible-look at Florida. So there is no real point in firing him now except to react to fan tantrums. He should be let go after his year end review with Long. If it happens that way Long has shown the coaching fraternity that he is not reactive and noes not respond emotionally but expects results on the field and the path is open to hiring a, hopefully, better coach in the off season.

hogsanity

Quote from: The ColonelHog on November 09, 2017, 12:50:47 pm
Whiskey or beer?  Recliner or deer stand?  Take your pick and go enjoy yourself because NOTHING is coming out about personnel decisions concerning the FB team until the season is over.  By over, I don't mean perception, I mean after the Mizzou game!

In other words like happens at several schools every year. It is rare to see guys canned mid year like Fla did, and there were extenuating circumstances there. If a guy is let go strictly for W's and L's it happens either right before or right after the least regular season game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

SWarkansasman

Win out?   So are we supposed to believe that a defense that held Alabama to the lowest total in offense numbers this year is going to suddenly crumble and allow the anemic Hog offense to even score?  Do we somehow get better on defense in a week?  We could`t stop the high school team at home coming why do you suppose we can stop LSU

DeltaBoy

It all a PR move to look better.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

KennyForAD

smh and LMAO.    Gonna take a kid fishing now.  Its been a great day.  For y'all lost in this thread here's what's happening:  Long's days are numbered and he's looking for a new gig.   Cheers!

younghog

Quote from: KennyForAD on November 09, 2017, 03:05:14 pm
smh and LMAO.    Gonna take a kid fishing now.  Its been a great day.  For y'all lost in this thread here's what's happening:  Long's days are numbered and he's looking for a new gig.   Cheers!

yeah right
GO HOGS

Hoginsavga

Quote from: Paul on November 06, 2017, 08:35:20 pm
Dan Devine? Sorry. Couldn't resist

Lol, that's the first thought that entered my mind when I saw that and my next question is he bringing Rudy with him?

KennyForAD

Quote from: younghog on November 09, 2017, 03:11:29 pm
yeah right

Its all right.  Except the kid's momma wouldn't let him go fishing because he checked out of school sick.   I tried to tell him that was a bad move.  Next time, HE will listen to me.

Jimbob111

I keep hearing this and it doesn't matter what happens this season. Bielema could be fired now, tomorrow, Sunday or any time between now and season's end. Nothing will change. Even if the Hogs do win out, the problem will be that he needs to be fired.

If he is back next season, a single loss will ignite the already incited fan base and then Long will be faced with this ongoing problem through out the season but it will start in September.

Bielema has to go. Every news story, even Op-Ed, every talking head reinforces that he must go. I don't think Bret will go on his own. His entire legacy, what it could have been, has been destroyed by coming to Arkansas.  He knows he can't coach now but his stubborness will make Long fire him because he refuses to see what the rest of the world can see:  He's a terrible coach, a poor motivator, a do-as-I-say-not-do-as-I-do guy, and some one who obviously lies to himself or lies to everyone else.
"DO NOT POST IN THE GAME THREAD ANYMORE TODAY OR YOU WILL RECIEVE A 30 BAN!"--

Multiple play-by-play posters followed by "Good job, D" and "Way to go, Offense" is so interesting to read over and over as the team gets blown out and the coaches flounder. I can't figure out why game threads don't have 60 to 80 pages now.

Am I the only one that misses the old, interesting game threads?