Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Glad our team doesn't rely on gimmicks

Started by Bacon_Bitz, August 14, 2016, 04:23:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longpig

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 08:54:21 am
Pssst several came back for their SR year this year. And this will be the year he will have JR's from his first full year to recruit.

13 was his first season, 15 he had Jrs, 16 he had Srs and Jrs. 

Get smarter fans.  25 points
Don't be scared, be smart.

ALLVOL

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 15, 2016, 09:05:49 am
From an outside perspective, all the hype on Tennessee this year seems extremely silly. I expect about an 8-4/9-3 type season for the Vols. Josh Dobbs and Jalen Hurd aren't really good enough to reasonably expect much more.
I hope you're wrong.

010HogFan

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:09:32 am
I hope you're wrong.

Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to see Tennessee come out of the east because I think we're all tired of Florida and Georgia, but that's a hump that will be harder to climb than it seems on the surface

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Sed76 on August 14, 2016, 04:59:51 pm
It would be hilarious if Virginia Tech destroys them.

More than just hilarious. It would put Hokie wife in a extremely good mood.

jkstock04

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 08:31:05 am
#uncommon and #neveryield and throwin' the A etc etc are all cheesy as hell yes.  but they are just slogans.  i'm sure tennessee has some of their own corny slogans and marketing schtick as well. 

"25 points" is not just some corny slogan - it's literally the "primary motivator" for this Tenner team.  painted on the practice field, in powerpoint presentations, etc, the article says.  i like the 1-0 approach and i like coach b's five edges, and even if they are a little corny (although way less corny that this goofiness), they aren't used as some overarching organizing principle to this degree.  why 25 points?  why not just 9-4?  what ever happened to just going out and getting better at something because you got your butt whooped by four teams that were clearly better than you last year?  why not use the fact that bowling green was the best team you beat last year as motivation? 

"Bowling Greener in 2016"  LET'S GO TEAM 120!!!!
The "uncommon" thing is exactly the same. At least that's how I see it. It's comical to me. Like only the players WE recruit and get are of this extreme high character and excellence when it comes to commitment and doing right things morally. Which is ultimately going to equal high success on the football field.

Never mind the fact that we put our X number of offers every year and inevitably we lose them to other schools (that's just the way it is with most every program). Are those players we made offers to that didn't commit not still uncommon when they commit elsewhere? LOL I don't know I just see a lot of holes in this type of stuff...and think it's somewhat of a deflection from negatives for the fanbase in a down time. I see it absolutely as a "motivator" for the team and fanbase as well. That's the way the university pushes it. This student athlete achievement guide (or whatever it's called) they sent out the other day had little to nothing in it about actual sports achievements. It was mostly about other stuff, "uncommon" stuff...that when I go to the games and cheer the team on I care nothing about. They use this as offseason fodder to pump the fans up, and shockingly to me it works like a charm.

I just want to win football games. I don't care about all of that stuff. I think what's important in the long run for winning the most football games is getting the best skilled players and coaches. That's what wins games in my opinion.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:01:58 am
You seem to have a lot of hate for a article written to pass the time until the season starts. And all coaches. Let me repeat, all coaches use slogans mottos etc. The 25 point mantra is a point of focus to iterate how a play here or there can change a game for the better or the worse. They're also using the slogan "own it". It's all motivational to try and focus the kids. And yes, all coaches do it.

Not hate.  Just dislike.  The Tenner hype train is out of control and I admit that irks me.  I don't know why I dislike Tennessee so much.  Maybe the Stoernover.  Maybe Butch Jones's haircut, or his obvious feigned coach speak.  Maybe it's the investigation and how Tenner is not really "owning it" when it comes to addressing its institutional culture problems.  This picture also bothers me a lot for some reason:

http://a.fssta.com/content/dam/fsdigital/fscom/ncaa-fb/images/2016/01/01/010116-CFB-Butch-Jones-LN-PI.vadapt.980.high.46.jpg

I can't really say what it is that is breeding such contempt, but I know for sure that picture and Butch Jones's haircut are definitely involved.

longpig

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 15, 2016, 09:11:12 am
Don't get me wrong, it would be cool to see Tennessee come out of the east because I think we're all tired of Florida and Georgia, but that's a hump that will be harder to climb than it seems on the surface

Much as Tenner's 3rd Down For What Lil Jon modification makes my ears bleed,  would rather see them succeed in the SEC Least rather than the Buffet Brothers at Georgia or Dugger Dad at Florida. 

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 09:18:52 am
The "uncommon" thing is exactly the same. At least that's how I see it. It's comical to me. Like only the players WE recruit and get are of this extreme high character and excellence when it comes to commitment and doing right things morally. Which is ultimately going to equal high success on the football field.

Never mind the fact that we put our X number of offers every year and inevitably we lose them to other schools (that's just the way it is with most every program). Are those players we made offers to that didn't commit not still uncommon when they commit elsewhere? LOL I don't know I just see a lot of holes in this type of stuff...and think it's somewhat of a deflection from negatives for the fanbase in a down time. I see it absolutely as a "motivator" for the team and fanbase as well. That's the way the university pushes it. This student athlete achievement guide (or whatever it's called) they sent out the other day had little to nothing in it about actual sports achievements. It was mostly about other stuff, "uncommon" stuff...that when I go to the games and cheer the team on I care nothing about. They use this as offseason fodder to pump the fans up, and shockingly to me it works like a charm.

I just want to win football games. I don't care about all of that stuff. I think what's important in the long run for winning the most football games is getting the best skilled players and coaches. That's what wins games in my opinion.

Yes the "uncommon" thing is exactly the same kind of corny shtick.  The Tennessee football team is not just using this "25 points" as fodder for fans, etc. like you detail above - it's painted on the practice field, in power points, on the cover of the playbook, etc. as detailed in the fluff piece from ESPIN.  That's the silly part.  Like you say, when you actually get on the field to practice and play, it's time to just win football games.  Tenner will see that this year.  Appalachian State will show them.

ALLVOL

Quote from: longpig on August 15, 2016, 09:07:27 am
13 was his first season, 15 he had Jrs, 16 he had Srs and Jrs. 

Get smarter fans.  25 points
Come on man. You're smarter than that. You know he was hired just before signing day and this year will be the year his full recruiting class will be JR's. Plus several guys (3) came back that would have been drafted.

ALLVOL

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 15, 2016, 09:11:12 am
We've gotten 2 games better each year Jones has been coach and we beat UGA last year. Should have beaten UF and OU but we didn't. I think this will be the year (which I've thought all along) it all comes together.
Not predicting a national title etc just a complete team.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 09:20:44 am
Not hate.  Just dislike.  The Tenner hype train is out of control and I admit that irks me.  I don't know why I dislike Tennessee so much.  Maybe the Stoernover.  Maybe Butch Jones's haircut, or his obvious feigned coach speak.  Maybe it's the investigation and how Tenner is not really "owning it" when it comes to addressing its institutional culture problems.  This picture also bothers me a lot for some reason:

http://a.fssta.com/contet/dam/fsdigital/fscom/ncaa-fb/images/2016/01/01/010116-CFB-Butch-Jones-LN-PI.vadapt.980.high.46.jpg

I can't really say what it is that is breeding such contempt, but I know for sure that picture and Butch Jones's haircut are definitely involved.
Well I appreciate your honesty. I have no issue with people disliking UT. Hell, that's part of the fan game, right?
But his haircut bothering you is friggin hilarious. LOL that's a first.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 09:23:47 am
Yes the "uncommon" thing is exactly the same kind of corny shtick.  The Tennessee football team is not just using this "25 points" as fodder for fans, etc. like you detail above - it's painted on the practice field, in power points, on the cover of the playbook, etc. as detailed in the fluff piece from ESPIN.  That's the silly part.  Like you say, when you actually get on the field to practice and play, it's time to just win football games.  Tenner will see that this year.  Appalachian State will show them.
I'm not much of a gambler. But I'm willing to wager with you and all proceeds going to a charity such as St Judes or Arkansas Children's Hospital that UT beats App St.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:29:05 am
We've gotten 2 games better each year Jones has been coach and we beat UGA last year. Should have beaten UF and OU but we didn't. I think this will be the year (which I've thought all along) it all comes together.

We've gotten an average of 2.5 games better each year Bielema has been coach and we beat LSU and Ole Miss the past two years.  Should have beaten Bama, Miss St, and Texas A&M the past two years but we didn't.  I think this will be the year (which I've thought all along) it all comes together.  Not predicting a national title etc just a complete team.

Being a homer is easy.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:32:22 am
Well I appreciate your honesty. I have no issue with people disliking UT. Hell, that's part of the fan game, right?
But his haircut bothering you I'd *** hilarious. LOL that's a first.

Be honest are you not a little embarrassed by his haircut?  I'll be honest and admit I'm a little embarrassed when I see pictures from CBB's first year compared to now and realize how much bigger he's been slowly growing.

Bacon_Bitz

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:33:40 am
I'm not much of a gambler. But I'm willing to wager with you and all proceeds going to a charity such as St Judes or Arkansas Children's Hospital that UT beats App St.

I made a similar wager with a Michigan fan a few years ago when his team was coming into the season with a little too much hype.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 09:34:16 am
We've gotten an average of 2.5 games better each year Bielema has been coach and we beat LSU and Ole Miss the past two years.  Should have beaten Bama, Miss St, and Texas A&M the past two years but we didn't.  I think this will be the year (which I've thought all along) it all comes together.  Not predicting a national title etc just a complete team.

Being a homer is easy.
Do a search and you will see my posts from last year. Anyone who has read my posts know I'm not a pie in the sky Homer.

longpig

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:27:12 am
Come on man. You're smarter than that. You know he was hired just before signing day and this year will be the year his full recruiting class will be JR's. Plus several guys (3) came back that would have been drafted.

So was Bielema, that didn't stop him from getting 3 of his predecessor's recruits good enough to be drafted, plus a couple of his own.

No excuses.  25 points

ALLVOL

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 09:36:29 am
I made a similar wager with a Michigan fan a few years ago when his team was coming into the season with a little too much hype.
I'm game if you are. Lanny and mods can transfer the money in the name of Hogville. That way everyone wins.

ALLVOL

Quote from: longpig on August 15, 2016, 09:37:18 am
So was Bielema, that didn't stop him from getting 3 of his predecessor's recruits good enough to be drafted, plus a couple of his own.

No excuses.  25 points
Ok man. Your logic is a lot different than most I've dealt with. You win.

jkstock04

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:33:40 am
So you will gamble with someone else's money. Seems legit.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ALLVOL

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 09:39:49 am
So you will gamble with someone else's money. Seems legit.
Reread my post. Then you can edit this post before people see how bad your reading skills are.

jkstock04

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on August 15, 2016, 09:23:47 am
Popular opinion on Hogville is that Butch Jones is a terrible coach and the Vols will fall flat on their face this year.

Only problem is majority of the time Hogville is 100% wrong on predictions. We will see what happens with this one. I'll agree with one thing, with their expectations and how well they recruit...it's put up or shut up time for them this season.

I would wager Hogville will be wrong once again...but we will see.'
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

oldhawg

I'll have to admit that my dislike of Tennessee goes back to the 1971 Liberty Bowl ---- I just can't let it go. 

jkstock04

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:42:06 am
Reread my post. Then you can edit this post before people see how bad your reading skills are.
I post enough on here so that if I have poor reading comprehension skills everyone already knows.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ALLVOL

Quote from: oldhawg on August 15, 2016, 09:44:19 am
I'll have to admit that my dislike of Tennessee goes back to the 1971 Liberty Bowl ---- I just can't let it go. 
I totally understand that.

ALLVOL

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 09:45:12 am
I post enough on here so that if I have poor reading comprehension skills everyone already knows.
Ok. Now that's funny

Hawgar The Horrible

In other words, to hell with getting an education and all the "uncommon" stuff. Those young men serve no other purpose than to entertain you. The fact that 98.1% of them will never play professional football is of no consequence to you. Once their eligibility runs out f'em. They're on their own.

I can tell you're a real winner in life.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

010HogFan

I completely disagree. I think our recruiting philosophy is lightyears ahead of where it has been. If you listen to our coach he is constantly reiterating that "you recruit your own problems" and I don't really think he says that just to hear himself talk. But whatever, I guess it's just a saying.

jkstock04

Quote from: 010HogFan on August 15, 2016, 11:28:42 am
I completely disagree. I think our recruiting philosophy is lightyears ahead of where it has been. If you listen to our coach he is constantly reiterating that "you recruit your own problems" and I don't really think he says that just to hear himself talk. But whatever, I guess it's just a saying.
I see it exactly the same as it has always been. If we are in the present moment the memo has always been that recruiting is at a high level of which we have never seen. I've heard this since the Houston Nutt years...as long as it's in the present moment/coaching staff.

Strong recruiting classes will correlate with strong in state recruits for said year. If it's a weak crop of in state recruits for said year it'll be a weaker recruiting class. That's the way it has always been. Despite this "uncommon" stuff it's still the same.

It's obvious you don't want to recruit some kid who you think isn't going to make it due to disciplinary reasons. But this is harped upon way overboard with our coaches, down to the media, then fans...as if this is the end all be all and no other coaches other than Bielema consider this. And of course the part I really don't get...people think this will automatically equal higher success than we have ever achieved in the SEC. The whole thing is screwy to me.

If that was all it took, we could recruit every player on the team straight from close to campus in the northwest Arkansas area. Just make sure they come from good family's who value education and have never been in trouble.

But in the end, I still think we are recruiting the same types of players we always have. We still go after the blue chip players like we always have...and rarely if ever land them out of state...just the same as always. Those types of guys didn't all the sudden become some special "uncommon" type of player because Bielema is recruiting them. We still recruit off of talent, so behind all the public relations/feely good BS it's still about football and winning/losing.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 08:54:21 am
Pssst several came back for their SR year this year. And this will be the year he will have JR's from his first full year to recruit.
when you finally get one drafted it will be, what, three clendar years between picks or four? So many non-slimeVol drafts in a row kinda messes me up.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on August 15, 2016, 09:13:00 am
More than just hilarious. It would put Hokie wife in a extremely good mood.
I'm rootin for you, cuz!
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 09:29:05 am
your schedule and the declining east did that. proof- lost to arkansas at home.
@Slackaveli

ALLVOL

August 15, 2016, 01:21:49 pm #82 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:43:44 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 15, 2016, 12:41:11 pm
when you finally get one drafted it will be, what, three clendar years between picks or four? So many non-slimeVol drafts in a row kinda messes me up.
We've gone 2 drafts without anyone drafted. What's funny is even though we've had a 2 year drought... over the past 20 years we've still had more players taken than over 90% of schools.
But don't worry yourself. The draft drought and our slide is over. And only a fool would think otherwise.

ALLVOL

August 15, 2016, 01:23:09 pm #83 Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 01:43:08 pm by ALLVOL
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 15, 2016, 12:44:19 pm
your schedule and the declining east did that. proof- lost to arkansas at home.
Arkansas had a very good team last year. Hogs should've won 3 more games easily maybe 4. In your rush to bash UT, don't sell the Hogs short on their talent.

jkstock04

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 01:23:09 pm
Arkansas had a very good team last year. Hogs should've won 3 more games easily maybe 4. In your rush to bash UT, don't sell the Hogs short on their talent.
I'm obviously not the biggest Bielema fan on board...but considering the talent level the Vols have vs what the Hogs had?

It's obvious that day Butch Jones got outcoached by Bielema. Put up or shut up from him this season. I think Tennessee is actually the most interesting story in the SEC this year as to 'what will they do'.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ALLVOL

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 02:05:27 pm
I'm obviously not the biggest Bielema fan on board...but considering the talent level the Vols have vs what the Hogs had?

It's obvious that day Butch Jones got outcoached by Bielema. Put up or shut up from him this season. I think Tennessee is actually the most interesting story in the SEC this year as to 'what will they do'.
If you will check back you will see, I predicted Hogs to beat UT last year. The issue with UT last year was a combo of things. I knew they weren't ready last year. Last year was the final year of putting things right. The team changed quite a bit post Hogs game. Every aspect of the game was better after that game. Went on to beat UGA and almost beat bammer. This year's team will be much better all the way around.

010HogFan

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 12:37:51 pm
I see it exactly the same as it has always been. If we are in the present moment the memo has always been that recruiting is at a high level of which we have never seen. I've heard this since the Houston Nutt years...as long as it's in the present moment/coaching staff.

Strong recruiting classes will correlate with strong in state recruits for said year. If it's a weak crop of in state recruits for said year it'll be a weaker recruiting class. That's the way it has always been. Despite this "uncommon" stuff it's still the same.

It's obvious you don't want to recruit some kid who you think isn't going to make it due to disciplinary reasons. But this is harped upon way overboard with our coaches, down to the media, then fans...as if this is the end all be all and no other coaches other than Bielema consider this. And of course the part I really don't get...people think this will automatically equal higher success than we have ever achieved in the SEC. The whole thing is screwy to me.

If that was all it took, we could recruit every player on the team straight from close to campus in the northwest Arkansas area. Just make sure they come from good family's who value education and have never been in trouble.

But in the end, I still think we are recruiting the same types of players we always have. We still go after the blue chip players like we always have...and rarely if ever land them out of state...just the same as always. Those types of guys didn't all the sudden become some special "uncommon" type of player because Bielema is recruiting them. We still recruit off of talent, so behind all the public relations/feely good BS it's still about football and winning/losing.

it's this type of thinking that leads to situations like the one at Baylor though. Of course we will still go after the talent, but if you can prevent situations happening during the process any time there is a red flag you do so, and I think our staff now is more attentive to that than many are. Not to jinx anything, but the lack of arrests we've had over Bielema's tenure here kind of speaks for itself.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 01:21:49 pm
We've gone 2 drafts without anyone drafted. What's funny is even though we've had a 2 year drought... over the past 20 years we've still had more players taken than over 90% of schools.
But don't worry yourself. The draft drought and our slide is over. And only a fool would think otherwise.
so 3 calendar years, gotcha. I am getting my shots in on that all year, but,, yes I agree the drought will end in 2017.
@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 02:39:41 pm
If you will check back you will see, I predicted Hogs to beat UT last year. The issue with UT last year was a combo of things. I knew they weren't ready last year. Last year was the final year of putting things right. The team changed quite a bit post Hogs game. Every aspect of the game was better after that game. Went on to beat UGA and almost beat bammer. This year's team will be much better all the way around.
they better win the east, the stars have aligned. But, can they win in the Championship game>? Not likely.
@Slackaveli

jkstock04

Quote from: ALLVOL on August 15, 2016, 02:39:41 pm
Oh I remember you saying so...as well with predicting 8 wins best. Bottom line is Hogs went into Knoxville and beat a more talented (on paper) football team. I was surprised. In the end that falls on the coaches.

What happens this year? I'm going against what Hogville says and im going to predict Tennessee is the real deal this year and wins the east. If this happens the excuses on here will be that it was easy to do because it's such a down and turmoil time in the east. If it doesn't happen it'll be a laugh fest and finger pointing at the Vols on Hogville of "I told ya so they suck...knew it all along."

Lose/lose situation for a Vol poster on here I'm afraid to say for ya.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ALLVOL

Quote from: jkstock04 on August 15, 2016, 04:34:06 pm
Oh I remember you saying so...as well with predicting 8 wins best. Bottom line is Hogs went into Knoxville and beat a more talented (on paper) football team. I was surprised. In the end that falls on the coaches.

What happens this year? I'm going against what Hogville says and im going to predict Tennessee is the real deal this year and wins the east. If this happens the excuses on here will be that it was easy to do because it's such a down and turmoil time in the east. If it doesn't happen it'll be a laugh fest and finger pointing at the Vols on Hogville of "I told ya so they suck...knew it all along."

Lose/lose situation for a Vol poster on here I'm afraid to say for ya.
Oh I know you're right about the lose/lose LOL.
As per last season the Vols just weren't a mature team and I knew it would take time. The Hog game was the turning point for the team.
And I'm not willing to say that the Hogs were much less talent last year either. I've always been a fan of BA and Hunter H is/was a beast. Not to mention a beast Oline and great running game.
It took a while to turn the dumpster fire we had around. But you can see it all around the program now with consistency not just flashes like before. So I expect a much better season.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on August 15, 2016, 04:24:59 pm
they better win the east, the stars have aligned. But, can they win in the Championship game>? Not likely.
We will see. They have to reach Atl first. We gave bammer all they wanted and returned pretty much everyone but they're older, wiser, bigger, stronger and faster. So who knows.

PorkRinds

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on August 14, 2016, 10:04:24 pm
Supposedly, their QB, Harris, is showing in camp that he will be better this season than last season.

Les Miles may have finally gotten the message (message from his near firing) that he needs to not hamstring their Offensive Coordinator.  They could very well have a passing game that will have to be accounted for by opposing Defenses.

If LSU could have our play action game coupled with Fournette, they'd be almost unstoppable.  Until they came to fayetteville for some kryptonite.

KlubhouseKonnected

25 points y'all. You can consider that a warning... they would tell you it's just a "professional courtesy"
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.