Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Stan leave after the season?

Started by twistitup, February 28, 2006, 09:18:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

With all of the negativity swirling (before we won the last 3), and a wife who does not appear content, will Stan look for a better fit after finishing out this year on a postitve note?  :'(

Stan, at times, just does not seem excited/motivated with the overall situation here in Fayetteville.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Father Swine

Where would he go?

He really hasn't done a lot to help his resume since he arrived in Fayetteville.

twistitup

With the late turnaround and a good run in the tournament- The would be plenty doors open!

Lokirain

I agree with father swine, he was a hot commodity when he came here, now he's just "meh" so he better just stay put and try to continue building the program.

twistitup

Why build a program if you and your family are not happy? I know things are all good now, but w/ with the recent HARSH statements by fans (including myself) he might decide to hit the road and find a more positive atmosphere.

I have a feeling his wife will have alot of input on his decision to stay.

nwarazfan

Quote from: Father Swine on February 28, 2006, 09:22:01 am
Where would he go?

He really hasn't done a lot to help his resume since he arrived in Fayetteville.

Many schools looking at our situation from the outside will see the job he has done rebuilding from the Nolan situation.  But I do think he is a season away from being "hot" again.  We may have a decision next year to try and compete to keep him.

HOGLUVIN

Big 10 will have at least 1-2 schools open up this offseason. They would take him back.

Hogs4Ever

Was he getting heat just from fans or from the administration?  You have to expect getting heat from fans all the time unless you're winning championships.  If Frank was breathing down his kneck, then he may look hard.

Does any of the "inside" guys know if Heath was feeling heat from Frank?

RealSmartGuy

If he goes, let him go, winning the last 3 like we have makes the job that much  more appealing to a good coach.

HOGLUVIN

I doubt that he would. Frank was soooo happen to see hog bball start, and we got off to a pretty good roll if you will remember, before we got to the SEC conf games. There really hasn't been a lot for him to bich about, other than the road wins, or lack there of, but there hasn't been a lot in one stretch to bang on him for. 21-8 over all, winning record in the SEC and a liklihood of going to the Dance.

HogHeathen

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 09:48:26 am
If he goes, let him go, winning the last 3 like we have makes the job that much  more appealing to a good coach.

So if he leaves because his wife is unhappy with the behavior of our fans towards her and our players due to our impatience, is the job still appealing? 

RealSmartGuy

Look a coach has to learn that fans are going to be fans, fans gripe everywhere, stop sugarcoating stuff, he was 3-27 in the SEC in Road Games, we were struggling, people are going to say stuff, people may not even know who romona is, we beat a good team on the road and all of a sudden its peaches and cream, My brother is a coach and his wife doesn't stand up and correct fans when we go 3 and out and they yell something stupid, its part of the territory, you buy tickets, you can say whatever you want.  From her last blowup, she blew up when people were chanting ronnie's better, to me, that sounds like she has a problem

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 09:58:46 am
Look a coach has to learn that fans are going to be fans, fans gripe everywhere, stop sugarcoating stuff, he was 3-27 in the SEC in Road Games, we were struggling, people are going to say stuff, people may not even know who romona is, we beat a good team on the road and all of a sudden its peaches and cream, My brother is a coach and his wife doesn't stand up and correct fans when we go 3 and out and they yell something stupid, its part of the territory, you buy tickets, you can say whatever you want.  From her last blowup, she blew up when people were chanting ronnie's better, to me, that sounds like she has a problem

How did I know 3-27 would come up in your response?  A couple of years from now when we are 14-32 on the road and in the top 25, are you going to be repeating that over and over?  People should NOT say anything they want.  Its called having class and manners.

And if your brother is a coach, I would think that maybe he would have taught you a little more about sports.  Please keep posting your nonsense as much as possible now.  You and a number of others will look like fools soon just like Nolan's critics did after 1987.

RealSmartGuy

I will not even respond to that with a response, if you had any idea how much I know, I will say this, until you step into the arena and compete at a D-1 level, you can't say much, and I have done that, for 4 years, so I think I know a little bit.  If stan is 14-32 on the road in a few years, I will see improvement, but what I am not is stupid, one road win does not turn the program, he has to prove it over and over, not one game, When we upset Auburn on the road when Fred went crazy at their place, people still questioned Coach Nutt's ability, and they always will, Coach Nutt did not come in the dressing room and claim we have turned the corner, we have won on the road, its easy now.  I know fans who are mad, still mad and arn't mad, and they speak out, class has nothing to do with it, if your mad your mad, you need to follow a church team.

Mr A Ziffell

Nolan's critics looked stupid? U got it bad...I'm behind Stan but Nolan...He made himself look bad.

WILL CLINTON

so when did his wife blow up and why?  I dont get it.  I have heard this over and over again, but I don't get it.
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:13:29 am
I will not even respond to that with a response, if you had any idea how much I know, I will say this, until you step into the arena and compete at a D-1 level, you can't say much, and I have done that, for 4 years, so I think I know a little bit.  If stan is 14-32 on the road in a few years, I will see improvement, but what I am not is stupid, one road win does not turn the program, he has to prove it over and over, not one game, When we upset Auburn on the road when Fred went crazy at their place, people still questioned Coach Nutt's ability, and they always will, Coach Nutt did not come in the dressing room and claim we have turned the corner, we have won on the road, its easy now.  I know fans who are mad, still mad and arn't mad, and they speak out, class has nothing to do with it, if your mad your mad, you need to follow a church team.

Who said one win has turned the program?  Its not turned yet.  But it was heading in the right direction BEFORE the Tenn win.  I can't believe you admitted to having played in college.  Now you really will look bad when you are proved to be wrong soon.  I really hope you didn't play at Arkansas.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Mr A Ziffell on February 28, 2006, 10:18:18 am
Nolan's critics looked stupid? U got it bad...I'm behind Stan but Nolan...He made himself look bad.

I believe he is referring to the critics in his first few years when he took over for "the drunk". 

nwarazfan

Quote from: Mr A Ziffell on February 28, 2006, 10:18:18 am

He made himself look bad from 88-96?  I'm not talking about the ending.  I'm talking about the critics who didn't understand his style and said he just rolled the balls out and couldn't/didn't coach.  3 Final 4s and a NC made them look like fools. 

RealSmartGuy

You really have no idea what you are talking about, talk to Todd Day, he will tell you all you need to know about Stan. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:23:39 am
You really have no idea what you are talking about, talk to Todd Day, he will tell you all you need to know about Stan. 

So were you here with Nolan? 

WILL CLINTON

Seeing as I don't have the foggiest idea about getting in touch with him, can you fill me in?

RealSmartGuy

nwarazfan

Quote from: dubyacee on February 28, 2006, 10:25:01 am

Seeing as I don't have the foggiest idea about getting in touch with him, can you fill me in?

I'm smelling an agenda here duby.  How 'bout you?

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:25:47 am
absolutely, Always supporter Nolan

I'm asking if you played for Nolan.  You claimed to have played 4 years somewhere.  Was it for Nolan?

RealSmartGuy

Baseball, I played Baseball, I was at U of A when Nolan was there,  yes

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:28:18 am
Baseball, I played Baseball, I was at U of A when Nolan was there,  yes

Now that we have that cleared up, please elaborate on this TD story.  I would like to hear an "unbiased" opinion on Heath from an ex-Nolan player whose stepfather has been long time friends with Nolan.

fire_hog

I'm not sure you would want to talk to Day about anything, really. Except maybe how to pick up skanks who are into umm, multiple fun. Great baller, but not the best guy around, or the most intelligent.
In a coaching business so full of phonies who talk character only to bend the rules, who consider the definition of discipline a player's weight-room attendance, who wouldn't dare pull something like this because it might hurt recruiting, here's Joe Pa, four decades on the job and not giving a damn. Except about what's right. - Dan Wetzel, Yahoo Sports

Mr A Ziffell

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 28, 2006, 10:22:04 am

He made himself look bad from 88-96?  I'm not talking about the ending.  I'm talking about the critics who didn't understand his style and said he just rolled the balls out and couldn't/didn't coach.  3 Final 4s and a NC made them look like fools. 

Oh, I get it now...The last years don't count,,,

RealSmartGuy

Its the same story everyone has heard, he was in the lockerroom at half-time Stan's 1st or second year, It was brought up at Dinner, we were talking about the entire program, Stan was brought up, he said Stan is a nice guy, too nice, and he hopes he succeeds, but he doesn't think he has that attitude to push us over the top.  Coaches who can instill attitudes in kids are winners, Van  Horn is that type of guy, Stan has yet to show it, now maybe in 4 years he has learned that, but personally, He has to show me much more than what he has, this past week as good, but I have a hard time overlooking MSU on the road, Ole Miss and losing huge leads at Alabama and Kentucky, to me that is coaching, that is attitude, it was just 2 weeks ago, everyone questioned this teams toughness, so in one week that hasn't changed.  They have found a way to win, credit stan for that, credit the kids, but I don't think he is the man to take us to the promise land, I hope he is, but I don't think so, simple as that

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:38:36 am
Its the same story everyone has heard, he was in the lockerroom at half-time Stan's 1st or second year, It was brought up at Dinner, we were talking about the entire program, Stan was brought up, he said Stan is a nice guy, too nice, and he hopes he succeeds, but he doesn't think he has that attitude to push us over the top.  Coaches who can instill attitudes in kids are winners, Van  Horn is that type of guy, Stan has yet to show it, now maybe in 4 years he has learned that, but personally, He has to show me much more than what he has, this past week as good, but I have a hard time overlooking MSU on the road, Ole Miss and losing huge leads at Alabama and Kentucky, to me that is coaching, that is attitude, it was just 2 weeks ago, everyone questioned this teams toughness, so in one week that hasn't changed.  They have found a way to win, credit stan for that, credit the kids, but I don't think he is the man to take us to the promise land, I hope he is, but I don't think so, simple as that

So because TD said he was too nice of a guy at dinner and you played baseball for 4 years at Ark, you have formed this opinion that SH cannot take our program to the level it should be? 

NATEHOGG216

Quote from: nwarazfan on February 28, 2006, 10:06:30 am
Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 09:58:46 am

How did I know 3-27 would come up in your response?

Hmmmmmm, maybe because it is a HORRID road record for ANY team in america
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

NATEHOGG216

please show me a worse road record by any college coach still getting paid
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

RealSmartGuy

I don't have to explain myself to you whatsoever, I know a winner when I see one, It hasn't taken Van Horn 4 years and a 4-27 road record to compete, he competes on sheer attitude and guts, and leadership and not accepting anything less, period.  As for Todd Day, I respect his opinion but it does not form mine, what he sees I see, always have.  That being said, I hope Stan succeeeds, but if he leaves, he leaves.

NATEHOGG216

Dang it smartguy, quit bringing up his win/loss record.  We all know those are meaningless

RealSmartGuy

I know, its about the state of the program, not wins and losses, everyone knows beating Tennessee on the road, deletes all previous failures.

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:49:36 am
I don't have to explain myself to you whatsoever, I know a winner when I see one, It hasn't taken Van Horn 4 years and a 4-27 road record to compete, he competes on sheer attitude and guts, and leadership and not accepting anything less, period.  As for Todd Day, I respect his opinion but it does not form mine, what he sees I see, always have.  That being said, I hope Stan succeeeds, but if he leaves, he leaves.

What was the shape of our baseball program when DVH took over in comparison to the basketball program when Heath took over?

RealSmartGuy

Not good, Van Horn fired about everyone still on the roster, they had a good run in the SEC and NCAA tourney, but the major overachieved.  If it was in such good shape, he would have not overhauled the whole thing like he did.

nwarazfan

And correct if I'm wrong here, but isn't college baseball one of the easier sports in which to rebuild due to the fact that transfers don't have to sit out a year and its easier to turn over a roster and add talent without restrictions?

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:55:01 am
Not good, Van Horn fired about everyone still on the roster, they had a good run in the SEC and NCAA tourney, but the major overachieved.  If it was in such good shape, he would have not overhauled the whole thing like he did.

I think the point was that Norm DeBriyn didn't do a "scorched earth" and file a lawsuit against the University like NR did. In most people's eyes DVH still had a lot easier job to do getting the baseball program back on track compared to what SH has had to deal with in the aftermath of NR.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

RealSmartGuy

LOL, Stan had 2 years before he signed Dontell, 2 years to figure Dontell out.  Van Horn didn't go sign a bunch of kids from other schools when he came in.  Continue to hug Stan, he needs it.  Hug is wife too!! 

nwarazfan

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on February 28, 2006, 11:00:06 am
Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 10:55:01 am

I think the point was that Norm DeBriyn didn't do a "scorched earth" and file a lawsuit against the University like NR did. In most people's eyes DVH still had a lot easier job to do getting the baseball program back on track compared to what SH has had to deal with in the aftermath of NR.

And I'll add that DVH is a great coach and has done a great job to this point. 

RealSmartGuy

I never said Van Horn didn't have an easier job, no doubt its easier, but Van  Horn is in Omaha in two years, Stan isn't in the NCAA in 3?  come on now?

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 11:02:32 am
LOL, Stan had 2 years before he signed Dontell, 2 years to figure Dontell out.  Van Horn didn't go sign a bunch of kids from other schools when he came in.  Continue to hug Stan, he needs it.  Hug is wife too!! 

No, but he could make room for other kids to come in each year. 

No Stan fan will tell you that he has not made mistakes in his recruitment of guards.  But in 4 years and 3 real recruiting classes, he had to refill every position on the team and try to add depth at those positions.  That is why we are 19-8 and not 22-5 or 23-4 right now. 

nwarazfan

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 11:03:39 am
I never said Van Horn didn't have an easier job, no doubt its easier, but Van  Horn is in Omaha in two years, Stan isn't in the NCAA in 3?  come on now?

No, its 4.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 11:02:32 am

OK, if you're going to play that game then when will DVH figure out how to actually WIN a game in the CWS? He has yet to do that hasn't he?

WILL CLINTON

I guess I am just behind on the rumormongering, but what is the deal with stan's wife when some people were in the crowd chanting ronnies better?  I am lost on that one, and I thought I kept up with things on the hill pretty well.  That does it, I'm moving to fayetteville to keep up with the rumors better. 

RealSmartGuy

3 years he hasn't gone to the NCAA, his 4th, I figure he is in, unless we just collapse.  Let Van Horn get to Omaha with Schimdt, see if he wins.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: RealSmartGuy on February 28, 2006, 11:14:24 am
3 years he hasn't gone to the NCAA, his 4th, I figure he is in, unless we just collapse.  Let Van Horn get to Omaha with Schimdt, see if he wins.

My point is that your criticisms of SH are no more fair than my "criticism" of DVH. I LOVE what DVH has done but I honestly think that Heath has had the tougher job and, in addition, has had to "learn on the job". I really wish that BOTH would stay here and have big success.