Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

STAN HEATH THREAD!

Started by ThisTeetsTaken, March 07, 2005, 06:02:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing what they thought HAD to happen next year in basketball for Stan to keep his job or at least stay in the their good graces.  Here's mine:

1.  We must have a winning record in conference.

2.  We must be a lock for the NCAAT BEFORE the conference tourney.

3.  We must never and i mean NEVER go 11min without scoring again.EVER

What say ye?
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

pioneerhog

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on March 07, 2005, 06:02:46 pm
Was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing what they thought HAD to happen next year in basketball for Stan to keep his job or at least stay in the their good graces. Here's mine:

1. We must have a winning record in conference.

2. We must be a lock for the NCAAT BEFORE the conference tourney.

3. We must never and i mean NEVER go 11min without scoring again.EVER

What say ye?
I could not agree more. By next year Heath should have his style of play in place, so we should see results, if not GIVE HIM THE BOOT.

gatecrasher

Brett Hitman Hog

Keep the players damn heads in the game ... that will lead to everything we need to happen. 

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Brett Hitman Hog

Not just NO, but Hell No.  He can't do it .. he's too nice to get the fear in them.

El Dog Hog

What he needs:

1. A point guard that will allow eric to come off the bench. If thats moving ronnie to PG, if thats letting McCurdy do it. We just dont need eric as our primary PG, b/c hes a scorer. We saw his bad passes against auburn. Even the 2nd team announcers saw that.

2. A PF that is more than a rebounder. Im thinking Charles Thomas, but im not sure why he hasnt been better this year. We need someone to knock down that 15 footer to get out of the 2-3. That and V Hunter and Mcgown should give us some NICE size. Rashard who can come off the bench and rebound and play nasty d.

With that, Stan must get us back to the Dance. I think every fan will agree to that. Even if you do or dont like Stan, we all agree he must get to the dance. And I also agree about that winning SEC record.  We were close in 5 games atleast. Beating Kentuckly at Rupp will be a challenge to say the least. Florida at home should be a win, alont with SC and Vandy. I also see no reason why we shouldnt beat rocky top and UGA too. Im not saying we will sweep the east, but we should be able to pencil in quite a few of them. State is losing Roberts, so that makes them very beatable. Bama is losing some players to. Ole miss is ole miss, and Auburn will suck too. SO, that leaves us and LSWHO... Rivarlys... gotta love them. O yeah, stan needs to beat LSWHO too. Just for my personal reasons.

hoggerdinger

texhog

Without question he must get to the NCAAT.  They just need to protect the home court.  Doing that alone would guarantee at least 8 SEC wins.  Then just win even a couple on the road and it should be a lock.  It would also be nice to beat someone in the top 25 for a change.

Kevin

auburn sucked this year  and we split with them.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

DirkPiggler

March 08, 2005, 01:38:08 pm #11 Last Edit: March 08, 2005, 01:42:38 pm by DirkPiggler
Win at least ten conference games, regular season.  If we do that, the tournament will take care of itself. 

Next year should be the start of my five year expectation for basketball.  In any given five year period we should:

*Play in the NCAA tournament five times.
*Win the SEC West three times.
*Win the SEC Overall title once.
*Play in the Sweet sixteen or better three times.
*Play in one Final Four.

If the basic expectation of going 10-6 in the SEC and thus making the NCAA's isn't reached next year, it will be time to try someone else.
"They've forced my hand on that one."  -  Houston Nutt, November 2005 regarding his future hiring of Gus Mal-a-zahn

Flatfoot

Was listening to the radio this morning and they were discussing what they thought HAD to happen next year in basketball for Stan to keep his job or at least stay in the their good graces. Here's mine:

What say ye?

I agree totally.  Winning record in conference and NCAA tourney invite nothing less will be acceptable.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

gatecrasher

Quote from: flatfoot304 on March 10, 2005, 03:14:11 pm

What say ye?

I agree totally. Winning record in conference and NCAA tourney invite nothing less will be acceptable.
Let's get the 11 minute scoring drought out of the way first...got to handle the basics first!

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: maintube on March 08, 2005, 11:46:45 am
Win and look respectible when and if they lose.

I am with you there.  I do not fixate on the W-Ls, much more on the plan and the progression from game to game.  If I see the right things happening I'll be glad to support Heath--doesn't hinge on us winning 25 or 20 games.
[CENSORED]!

ronshogs

January 20, 2006, 09:31:34 pm #15 Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 09:56:36 pm by mikeirwin
How can you fire a coach whose record has done nothing but improve EVERY year since he's been here (Unlike Houston run up the middle ever play Nutt ) Which has had 2 back to back losing seasons...  I really believe that the basketball team is about to make a very big step. I love the Razorbacks and would really love to see Stan get it done, the guy  can recruit!!! If Frank fires Stan you don't think Jessie Jackson and Nolan would love to see that, there going to say what  I said previous about Stan's record improving and Houston's 2 bad seasons and his 2 year free pass.  How many years pass does Stan need since Nolan left the cupboard bare. I know Stan's bewen here for 4 years but that first recruiting class was a settle for. I really believe we need to get be Stan and the team to show them supporrt, good things are around the corner, I really believe that..... Go Hogs go!!!!!

LOU H

GET HER DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BOO AUBURN

wallyhog

Quote from: ronshogs on January 20, 2006, 09:31:34 pm
How can you fire a coach whose record has done nothing but improve EVERY year since he's been here (Unlike Houston run up the middle ever play Nutt ) Which has had 2 back to back losing seasons... I really believe that the basketball team is about to make a very big step. I love the Razorbacks and would really love to see Stan get it done, the guy can recruit!!! If Frank fires Stan you don't think Jessie Jackson and Nolan would love to see that, there going to say what I said previous about Stan's record improving and Houston's 2 bad seasons and his 2 year free pass. How many years pass does Stan need since Nolan left the cupboard bare. I know Stan's bewen here for 4 years but that first recruiting class was a settle for. I really believe we need to get be Stan and the team to show them supporrt, good things are around the corner, I really believe that..... Go Hogs go!!!!!
They IS?

NuttsSacked

Your post had merit until you tossed the race card on the table.

ronshogs

Well that's what is going to come down to,  if it happens!!

NuttsSacked

Quote from: ronshogs on January 20, 2006, 09:37:18 pm
Well that's what is going to come down to, if it happens!!

Perhaps you're right.  I have a feeling Heath will get another year due to Nutt.  But if Nutt wins next season, Heath better win BIG (Sweet 16 or better) or he's out of here.

pigfoot

"...the word, even the most contradictory word, preserves contact.  It is silence which isolates."  Thomas Mann

tacomahog

i thought Nutt should have been fired, BUT one big difference between the two is Nutt's team never quit on him.  Stan's team quit on him last season and he let them.

SAUhogfan

What ever happened to the belief that Nutt wasn't going to be fired because this was Heath's make it or break it season?  Why give him another year so that we can rehash all this again.  Another year, another let down.  I don't think anyone here expects SEC titles every year, but is it too much to ask just to be competitive?  We're quickly becoming a joke. 

silvertip

Quote from: tacomahog on January 20, 2006, 10:08:45 pm
i thought Nutt should have been fired, BUT one big difference between the two is Nutt's team never quit on him. Stan's team quit on him last season and he let them.

There was basically ONE player who quit. I talked to Rob Flaska about this for 30 minutes before he left He so much as confirmed my opinion that there was a problem involving 2 players. One left. The one who quit is still here, but hasn't shown signs, yet, of quitting again. Hope he doesn't.

rok-dog

The fact of the matter is the team has no HEART!  They come out and look good for a minute,  but they don't have the FIRE to keep it going.  I believe that shows a lack of discipline,  which is a reflection of the coaches.
Quote from: TuckFexas on May 14, 2010, 01:29:05 pm
Listen to rok, this is the most sound advice ever typed on a message board in the history of the internets.
Quote from: BallHog1 on December 03, 2010, 07:50:23 am
Rok, you are obviously the most intelligent poster in the the tavern.

Golfer

Quote from: ronshogs on January 20, 2006, 09:37:18 pm
Well that's what is going to come down to, if it happens!!

And you know this HOW????

Flatfoot

Its called being 2-24 on the road in SEC play.  It doesn't take five years to build a tournament team.  Heath do the right thing and Resign!
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.

WichitaStateRazorback

The difference between Nutt and Stan is all about the love of being a Razorback.  Nutt loves being a Hog, it's his dream come true.  Heath knows nothing about it.  He could care less about what we are all about.

lunchbox72703

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 21, 2006, 02:11:38 am
The difference between Nutt and Stan is all about the love of being a Razorback. Nutt loves being a Hog, it's his dream come true. Heath knows nothing about it. He could care less about what we are all about.

And there is the problem, fellow Hogvillians.....Would you rather have a person who loses "terribly" with heart, or a person who loses "better" with no heart?

.....and before you beat me to it.....how about we hire a winner, heh?

WILL CLINTON

Where's the law saying we can't fire them both?
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

WichitaStateRazorback

Lunchbox it's about respect.  It's about respecting the program that you are lucky enough to be involved in.

lunchbox72703

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on January 21, 2006, 02:46:51 am
Lunchbox it's about respect. It's about respecting the program that you are lucky enough to be involved in.

Oh, I agree BigNasty.......and I should have ammended that post to inlcude more sarcasm.  In truth....I can't stand the lack of success that the U of A has had recently, as most people on here will freely admit!

WichitaStateRazorback

Gotcha.  My problem lies in the fact that I am still an avid Nutt supporterfor football but am borderline darksider in basketball.  I think it all comes down to how each of the coaches act towards our program.

Jerry Swinefeld

I really believe that the basketball team is about to make a very big step.  I really believe we need to get be Stan and the team to show them supporrt, good things are around the corner, I really believe that..... Go Hogs go!!!!!

I often see Heath supporters say this, but there is little or no evidence to back it up.
Given the meltdown at Alabama, the flop at Miss St, and the fact that his team quit on him at the end of last season, why do you believe this?  The team is a little better, yes...but has shown nowhere near the improvement that was predicted/expected.  And overall, yes, there has been improvement over each season - but still no NCAA tourney play, and no wins in the SEC Tourney.  For me, the progress has not been enough, but that is just one guy's opinion.
I like Stan - seems like a great guy, and except for wins/losses, represents the school and state very well.  But the fact is, wins and losses matter - and the team clearly loses games that it should not.
I don't like to compare Heath to Nolan, or Heath to Nutt.  I just look at the program since he has been here, and unless he turns this season around quickly, the progress is not enough. 
IMO, if we don't make the tourney this year, a change should be made.

HairyHog

I'm holding to my 15 win prediction.

IMO 2 road wins in his career doesn't show improvement. 

hangfifty

January 21, 2006, 07:57:50 am #37 Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 08:01:37 am by hangfifty
The difference is that Nutt has made 6 post season appearances, Heath has made ZERO.  They really can't be compared for that matter.  The Athletic Department (not me) feels Nutt has earned the right to a couple of bad seasons, Heath hasn't earned a NIT bid (he would have gotten one, but he didn't earn it).

And do I need to mention that HEATH 2-24 on the road in the SEC.

Argument holds not water when you look at his performance and results.

ComeonHogs!!!

It was time to win in Alabama. With a only minutes left in the game senior players looked lost. My 5th grade team knows to block out on free throws. (we failed twice in a row) they also know help def when a player drives to the basket  as steel did in OT. these are just a couple examples of seniors or two and three year starters who should do things automatically. Not to mention you never foul a jump shooter.   Does anybody up there know how to win?!!
State Pride!!!

ugh

I don`t  care if stan is purple .He need to get after their a###.To nice to nice.

duckman

How can you fire a coach whose record has done nothing but improve EVERY year since he's been here (Unlike Houston run up the middle ever play Nutt ) Which has had 2 back to back losing seasons...  I really believe that the basketball team is about to make a very big step. I love the Razorbacks and would really love to see Stan get it done, the guy  can recruit!!! If Frank fires Stan you don't think Jessie Jackson and Nolan would love to see that, there going to say what  I said previous about Stan's record improving and Houston's 2 bad seasons and his 2 year free pass.  How many years pass does Stan need since Nolan left the cupboard bare. I know Stan's bewen here for 4 years but that first recruiting class was a settle for. I really believe we need to get be Stan and the team to show them supporrt, good things are around the corner, I really believe that..... Go Hogs go!!!!!

After reading your post I have some questions for you:

1.  You stated "He can recruit!!!" show me what you base this on, it definately doesn't apply to point guards.

2.  You stated we are improving every year, it seems to me we are a mirror image of last years team.

3.  You stated that Jesse Jackson and Nolan would love to see Heath fired, well that one is simple to diffuse, just hire Mike Anderson or another qualified black coach.

4.  You believe we are just on the verge of becoming a good team, well it looks like we will probably lose our best player to the NBA next year and the team will in fact be younger next year, how will that make us better next year.

Now, in my opinion it is time to cut and run, it is time to make a change and fast.  Heath was given a job to do, he was given ample time to do that job, it has not been done.  We are 2-24 on the road in less than four years.  Do you think ANY other coach in a tradition rich program like ours could or would survive that?  The answer is a resounding NO.  If we want to  resume our status as an elite program we have to make a change.

HogsFan66

I agree with ronshogs on this and have said it before. If you put Al Jefferson on this team, we are not 2-24 on the road or out of the tournament last year. SH is solid recruiter who has, so far this year, the #1 JUCO player in America, 4 or 5 star (depending on the site) MW and another 4 star in SW. He also has two more 4 stars that still have the hogs on their list and one of them has us very high on his list.
  I know everyone says we can't break a zone and its SH's fault. WHO would you have break it? DJ? Freshman SM? I am a huge Shawn McCurdy fan but come on, he is a freshman and has looked both great and terrible at times this year.......but wait...who recruited Shawn...oh ya SH.
Should he have recruited AJ? Maybe...maybe not. One thing for sure is that if he didn't....someone would have and then what if he hadn't jumped? Coach K at Duke has made a pretty good living by recruiting these guys and some jumped to the NBA and some didn't......but you have to try and recruit them. With Aj on this team, we would have made the tournament last year and been even better this year and no one would be calling for SH's head. With GE coming in ( a big time zone breaker) and SM getting better and better....we will be fine. Of course it would help if RB stays and MW doesn't bounce. However, I guess SH will get the blame if MW bounces like AJ did........... I am sure money has NOTHING to do with it. And if both bounce and we have another mediocre year then that is SH's fault also. Even though he would be losing his two biggest scorers (RB and JM) and one of his top two recruits jumping to the NBA.
   Now, I have never claimed to be a genius but I am not convinced that even Coach K could overcome those odds!!!!! I am sure SH WANTS to be able to break zone def's but doesn't have the personnel who can effectively do it. I am sure he isn't sitting up on the hill going "man...I am sure Coach Izzo taught me how to break down a zone defense......but I just can't seem to rmember".
   Come on, the guys a good young coach and would have us where we want to be if everything had fallen according to his plans. He has been dealt a band hand from day 1 and is steadily digging out, as evident by the record getting better and better.
    Just my opinion though. I know I have mine and you all have yours. That's what makes America great and why I have sepnt the last 19 years defending the good ole USA!!!!
    I love the HOGS and GOD bless you all. I am sure we will agree to disagree more in the future. LOL

PorcineSublime

January 21, 2006, 09:29:26 am #42 Last Edit: January 21, 2006, 09:31:50 am by PorcineSublime
A couple of points:
1. If the FB team doesn't miss bowls the last two years, would we be more patient with this coach? I get the feeling that frustration with HDN is bleeding over. Yes It is easier to rebuild in BB than FB, but it was not made easier by the way things went down with the race card being played on daily basis by NR.

2.Whether or not we want to admit it, the race card will be played if we fire SH this year. I would not for a minute think that Stan would do it, but Jesse, Al, and the gang would be on a plane to Fayettevlille the minute the news broke. As someone stated on other threads, it could be the equivalent of the death penalty for our program.

3.There is an outside chance that this guy is a young coach who is learning on the job and actually is on the verge of getting it. It is not his fault he was not ready to be here when hired. That's our AD's call. I am sure that he felt he was ready, but had no idea what it was like to be the head guy at an SEC school with a recent history of a NC.

I guess what I am saying is this, we will not fire him this year or before next season, so we might as well let the guy coach. There is no doubt that the quality of human beings he is bringing on campus is an upgrade. Maybe just maybe he will learn enough to make them winners on the court as well.JMO.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

hangfifty

You can not base Stans results on players we didn't get. How do you know we wouldn't be 2-24 on the road in the SEC with AL Jefferson. You can't. But I can show you that we are 2-24 with Stan Heath.

Sure, we can't bust a zone with the players we got, but those are the players Stan recruited. He hasn't signed a point guard, and the one he did sign was only getting one minute of playing time against those cupcake opponents early in the season.

You can't base Stan's success on what-if's.

What if Matt Jones hadn't fumbled that ball.
What if George Wilson hadn't held that guy.
What if Stoerner hadn't stumbled.
What if Nutt had gotten on that plane.

What if Stan Heath could coach.

CalHog

Quote from: hangfifty on January 21, 2006, 09:40:02 am
You can not base Stans results on players we didn't get. How do you know we wouldn't be 2-24 on the road in the SEC with AL Jefferson. You can't. But I can show you that we are 2-24 with Stan Heath.

Sure, we can't bust a zone with the players we got, but those are the players Stan recruited. He hasn't signed a point guard, and the one he did sign was only getting one minute of playing time against those cupcake opponents early in the season.

Good post and I couldn't agree more.  One of the most sensible I have read on here.
You can't base Stan's success on what-if's.

What if Matt Jones hadn't fumbled that ball.
What if George Wilson hadn't held that guy.
What if Stoerner hadn't stumbled.
What if Nutt had gotten on that plane.

What if Stan Heath could coach.

ICEman

Ahhh, the miracle of scheduling easy early season opponents!
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

PorcineSublime

Quote from: ICEman on January 21, 2006, 09:58:28 am
Ahhh, the miracle of scheduling easy early season opponents!
Let's see, Kansas, Missouri,UConn, Maryland. Yep, cupcakes for sure.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

ronshogs

I agree with Hogsfan66 just look at what North Carolina is doing this year with all the guys leaving for the NBA those guys were National Champs last year.
  Also guys you have to remember that Houston took us the most of the bowls games with Danny Fords recruits and when his recruits started to play we have dropped off, plus do any of you have any idea what Houston's record is against SEC teams is in 8 years about .500 i think(not positive)!!!!!!!!!
  Also you talk about guys quiting on the team, who really gave up was Frank for not allowing us to go to the NIT( and we all know that is was Frank) for any coach would jump at the chance to practice more, going to the NIT is like playing in a bowl game.  Just gives you extra practice time.  Do you think Frank would have stopped the football team from going to a bowl if say we started out 6-0 and lost our next 5 to go 6-5????  Noway guys, Frank gave up on us not Stan or the players!!!!!!!!

HogsFan66

Cupcakes.....UCONN, Maryland, Kansas and Missouri?  Come on now.

And yes, when you are talking college BB i think you can safely say that one player can make a HUGE difference. Given Al Jefferson I do believe he was a good enough enough player to account for AT LEAST 4 more wins. That would have put us at 22 wins last year and in the tourney. If you can't admit that.....that is like saying Duke wouldn't be any better if Labron had went to Duke. I know AJ is no Labron, but he is good enough for 4 more wins.....if he had came. Again....not SH's fault he jumped though.

ronshogs

Well guys what do you say??? Were's the love for Stan?????