Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Where were you when this happened (UA Basketball History)

Started by mikeirwin, April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

mikeirwin

April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:02:40 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
To name new basketball coach.
Dana Altman the rumored choice.

HogKong

Michaelt

It's still just a rumor?

KARK listed it as confirmed.
Creightons website has a story that Altman is leaving for Arkansas.
Fox Sports confirms it as well.

So, question is, with all the spewing going on here...will anyone in the NWA area who doesn't like this take the time to go to the presser and make their disdain known?

Or will it be a room of clapping and hog calls?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Oliver

mikeirwin

Sounds like Frank wanted to make sure he didn't miss any of The Masters.

Oliver

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:26:08 am

I hope there is a monsoon during the days that he goes.

Dukedad10

He had a very impressive 68-54 at K-State

Hogtropolis™

WHY?????????????????  WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO US??????????

TennesseeRaz

If you call a press conference, and no one cares enough to come, is it still a press conference?  What time is Tulsa spring practice again?

JustoHogFan

Exactly Frank F*cks us once again, I hate the thought of DA in BW arena
So I am not attending another game until he is gone

By the way Mike I think Beverly is gone for sure after this crap hire what are your thoughts?

HogKong

That is what I thought.

He should have just resigned when we asked, and he would not have had to worry about it.

mikeirwin

Quote from: ballhog24 on April 02, 2007, 10:22:34 am
It's still just a rumor?

KARK listed it as confirmed.
Creightons website has a story that Altman is leaving for Arkansas.
Fox Sports confirms it as well.

So, question is, with all the spewing going on here...will anyone in the NWA area who doesn't like this take the time to go to the presser and make their disdain known?

Or will it be a room of clapping and hog calls?
You know what they'll do.
It will be wall to wall "Altman was our guy all along" stuff.
I have nothing against the man. I  don't know much about him. If he is 2-7 in the NCAA tournament is it reasonable to assume that had Heath been given 9 years he might have won a couple of NCAA games ?
But as a reporter I will judge him on what he does from today on. As such it will be a while before it's clear if Frank got lucky or blew it big time.

leroyjenkins

Mike please tell us you and other media will ask questions like: why? why us? why the step back? why not offer 10mil per year to get a big name over this? why???????????????????? I am about to go take an exam and there is no way I will pass now........... I am so mad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeltaBoy

Relax and give the man a sporting Chance !
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Porkem

Mike...don't you have 72 hours to back out of a contract?
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

leroyjenkins

exactly mike, sounds like hiring was second to making the masters trip and he had to hire somebody and get this out of the way. such crapppppppppppp

mikeirwin

April 02, 2007, 10:33:34 am #16 Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 10:35:06 am by mikeirwin
Quote from: JustoHogFan on April 02, 2007, 10:30:56 am

By the way Mike I think Beverly is gone for sure after this crap hire what are your thoughts?
Immediately after Altman is announced players will be available to the media. If Beverley is there you can bet he will be asked for his reaction.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Will any reporter have the guts to say "Frank did you rush to make this hire so you would not miss any Masters Ceremonies?"  "Why not just wait a few days until after the final game and see how the Kentucky seach shakes out?"
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Porkem

Exactly.  You hit the nail on the head Mike.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Hollywood_HOGan

ha
he hurried this hire just to get to the masters?

Im not anti Dana Altman but this is ridiculous.

They should have forced Frank out and got a brand new AD the day he retired.

zhog

I dont see Bev wanting to sit out a year. I think he gives Altman a chance.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on April 02, 2007, 10:36:23 am

ha
he hurried this hire just to get to the masters?

Im not anti Dana Altman but this is ridiculous.

They should have forced Frank out and got a brand new AD the day he retired.

Absofrigginlutely!!!
Go away, batin'

Shawn

So Dana Altmans mid major success is a better choice than Stan Heath coaching in the SEC for five years? I am Stan guy first and foremost so being objective doesn't apply.
I know the ole "give the guy a chance" but this does not appear like a "step up". Time will tell and hopefully I will eat some crow....won't be the first time.
I honestly think that Frank thought he had a big time coach in the waiting. If his choices were Dana Altman or Stan Heath, I think Stan would still be the coach.
All the big time coaches mentioned and Frank lands a successful mid-major coach with a poor tournament record. Is this the new standard? 

zhog

No doubt Frank botched things. But Altman is a big upgrade from Heath!

leroyjenkins

maybe altman being from a religious school, he was on the same page with arkansas..... just praying for victories..... looks like that is how it is going to stay also.

PiggyBack

Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

zhog

This guy wants to be a Razorback ! Hes needs our support no matter whay you think about Broyles. I agree with Mike and will judge him from this point on! GO HOGS!!

noprayerfornutt

Quote from: zhog on April 02, 2007, 10:44:02 am

I agree.  I am willing to give the guy a chance. 

PiggyBack

Awesome, get a guy we used to soundly beat back in the day...
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

hawkeyefan17

"Sounds like Frank wanted to make sure he didn't miss any of The Masters."

If the Masters weren't this week, would this search have turned out any different.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Hogtropolis™ on April 02, 2007, 10:28:56 am
WHY?????????????????  WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN TO US??????????

Because Frank is the expert and he said that no good coaches want to come coach at Arkansas. Fire the heck out of Frank. We don't need him to fund raise for us either.

I will support the new coach and give him the benefit of the doubt but Frank you had a coach on the rise with a very good chance of getting us to the final four next year. Why do this? Just go away and leave us alone.

stan the man

Well I have sold my season tickets the last two years and it looks like I may just not renew at all now.  This athletic department needs to be gone.  Absolutely no pr at all.  Just hire the first guy that says ok.  Pretty pitiful if you ask me.

leroyjenkins

i know another guy who "wants to be a razorback" and i dont support him either. we have to many love that helmet people already, we need a love to be a hard a$$, love to recruit, love to win big time coach in here.

Hog in MO

Quote from: ccall on April 02, 2007, 10:40:59 am
So Dana Altmans mid major success is a better choice than Stan Heath coaching in the SEC for five years? I am Stan guy first and foremost so being objective doesn't apply.
I know the ole "give the guy a chance" but this does not appear like a "step up". Time will tell and hopefully I will eat some crow....won't be the first time.
I honestly think that Frank thought he had a big time coach in the waiting. If his choices were Dana Altman or Stan Heath, I think Stan would still be the coach.
All the big time coaches mentioned and Frank lands a successful mid-major coach with a poor tournament record. Is this the new standard? 

I think Frank's "plan" was Billy Clyde Gillispie.  It began and ended there.  BCG played him like a tuba against A$M and Frank balked on the amount of money it was going to take to get him, which left Frank twisting in the wind with his pants down. 

Why are any of us surprised by this?  How long has JFB been our AD?  When has he ever paid that kind of cash for a coach?  Its the exact same story that we've fallen for every damn time - JFB says he's going after the best coach available, gets us excited, then hires Dana Altman, Stan Heath, Nolan Richardson (which JFB got lucky on - NR was a nobody from nowhere just like the rest when he was hired), Eddie Sutton, HOUSTON FRICKING NUTT, Jack Crowe, Ken Hatfield, Lou Holtz. 

Were ANY of those coaches big time, big name, high dollar coaches when they were hired here?  A few of them went on to have great success and BECAME just that - but none were when they were hired.  Why did we expect any different from JFB this time?  All we can do is hope Altman turns out to be one of the gold nuggets that JFB has mined from the gravel pit of coaching. 

blackheart

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:31:08 am
But as a reporter I will judge him on what he does from today on. As such it will be a while before it's clear if Frank got lucky or blew it big time.

Frank said that Heath was fired because he lost fan support.

As said fan, I can tell you that this hire does nothing to renew any passion for Razorback basketball.

So, considering the one factor that the new coach needed was some penache, I'd say that this hire is and will be a gigantic failure.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am
Hahahaha!

The U of A is Ole Miss, if that, in football and basketball now.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

LSUFan

Looks to me like they replaced Heath with a guy who is Heath Caliber.
Why?

Nolan was Right.

Wherever Heath Goes, I hope he wins the NCAA Tourney next year.

zhog

Come basketball season the fans will be there. They will stay if we win!

Chad In Real Life

Quote from: noprayerfornutt on April 02, 2007, 10:50:36 am
Quote from: zhog on April 02, 2007, 10:44:02 am

I agree.  I am willing to give the guy a chance. 

Yeah whats another 5 years of our lives.
Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

Chad In Real Life

Razorback athletics have become a complete joke.

Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

LSUFan

Quote from: zhog on April 02, 2007, 11:26:58 am
Come basketball season the fans will be there. They will stay if we win!
Because it's like that little town in the Movie Hot Spot.

Don Johnson: What is there to do in this town?

Virginia Madson: You can either watch T.V. or f*^k

Virginia Madson: You got a T.V.?

Don Johnson: No

Virginia Madson: Okay, so lets go f&*k.

Blue35

If Frank has 1.5 to 2 million to hire a coach,  he needs to stay on the job until he finds one, not hire the first mid major he likes so he can make it to Augusta for the tee off. >:(

hogsrmyfav36

If this was going to be the end result, we would have been better off keeping Stan. 
F&*!NG INTRANET

5 little pigs

Why is our "lame duck" AD making these decisions for our future?????  Tell Frank BYE, it's been a nice run and get someone in their that can make a difference.  We deserve better than this!!!

Put Frank on leave of absence for the rest of the year and fire HDN!!!

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 02, 2007, 10:17:57 am

Fox is saying it is definitely Altman, not a rumor.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

U.P. HOGG

This guy is 2-7 in the tourney, and he lost in the first round of the tourney this year to Nevada!!  This is our big name coach???????????????????

eparham

eddie sutton came from creighton,and didn't he start this monster called razorback basketball, and nolan built on it---let's go and call em hawgs!

mayjumpoffwagon

but you know he said, "but i just loved the jersey so much"

i feel like  :puke:

notreseveredname

This day feels exactly like the day Houston Nutt was named the head coach in 97.  Another 5 years of mediocre basketball in our future.  I'll give the guy a chance. I'll cheer and support the team. I hope this guy proves me wrong.  I'd would be happy to eat a lot of crow and have a top 20 basketball program.

I would say Frank drop the ball big time, but in order to use analogy would mean someone would have to throw the ball.