Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did we secretly fire Heath today?

Started by Jim Harris, February 22, 2007, 06:53:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pigmania

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:00:08 pm
The double standard is unbelievable.  I've got a question for you Huggers.  Why is there a double standard with Heath and Nutt? 
Surely not because one is black and the other is white.  ???

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: pigmania on February 22, 2007, 10:59:30 pm
The double standard is unbelievable.  I've got a question for you Huggers.  Why is there a double standard with Heath and Nutt? 
Surely not because one is black and the other is white.  ???

Give that A&M up....

HogFan1973

Quote from: hogman64 on February 22, 2007, 10:01:54 pm
I really really want Nutt fired  and I wouldnt mind Stan being fired because I dont think he is ever going to be a good head coach........but basketball has me so beat down I dont even get upset anymore when we lose..........However I think if Stan gets fired, we  on the darkside , get a whole new group to join us shouting for Nutt to be fired too........So Fire Stan and turn the heat up higher than ever on Nutt...........Pretty much anything that helps get Nutt fired,I am for..........

I am for keeping Stan another 5 years if it would mean that we could rid ourselves of the Nuttster.

Pigzwillfly

Quote from: Air It Out Gus on February 22, 2007, 11:34:35 pm
Quote from: hogman64 on February 22, 2007, 10:01:54 pm
I really really want Nutt fired  and I wouldnt mind Stan being fired because I dont think he is ever going to be a good head coach........but basketball has me so beat down I dont even get upset anymore when we lose..........However I think if Stan gets fired, we  on the darkside , get a whole new group to join us shouting for Nutt to be fired too........So Fire Stan and turn the heat up higher than ever on Nutt...........Pretty much anything that helps get Nutt fired,I am for..........

I am for keeping Stan another 5 years if it would mean that we could rid ourselves of the Nuttster.

No. No. No. Why settle for only getting out half of the cancer?

Jazorback

one of the shows on rivals radio / sirius was saying that they think Heath will be gone at end of season.

Pigskin_Porker

I know they sounded pretty confident that Heath was gone and we'd make a run at a new coach like Billy Gillispie

:(     BUT    :(

Unfortunately ya'll I have some bad news . . .

I was talking to one of my close family friends at tonight's Ladyback/Tennessee game.  She has worked in the U of A Athletics Department for a long time.  She has a close source at the very top, who she once again would not divulge to me.  By her own admission she said her source  has been right on target with the latest facts and what's fixin' to happen on the hill about 99% of the time. . . .

I for one believe her because she knew BEFORE IT WAS OFFICIALLY ANNOUNCED about DW, GM, and MM leaving as well as some inside info on players health like DMAC and Peyton's nagging / unofficial injuries.

:(    He told her that BOTH Stan Heath and Susie Garner will get 1 more season to prove themselves.    :(

It really burst my bubble, especially regarding Stan Heath.  I so much want him to be gone and want us to make a huge push for Billy Gillispie.

Of course things could change (She admitted as much) if we lose our final three games and are 1 and done in the SEC Basketball Tournament, but it looks like we may just get stuck . . . .
"ATHLETICS IS A MINDSET.  WINNERS THINK DIFFERENT. I SHOULD STOP SAYING 'THINK' BECAUSE WINNERS DON'T THINK, THEY JUST DO IT."                                                                                            -- COACH JOHN McDONNELL  (42 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS)                                                

. . .  Es ist verdammt hart, das Beste zu sein . . .

Jim Harris

Quote from: merccedes on February 22, 2007, 07:12:49 pm
I think they entered into thier respective seasons pretty much on equal ground Nutt goes 10-4 and makes a big bowl Heath has 11 loses and will not make the big dance. therefore one gets canned and one dont.

this is more for Heath what 2004 was for Nutt -- graduation and players leaving early after a fair to middlin' season. Nutt went 3-5 in the conference in 2004. If Heath goes 6-10, he's equaled it. He has a better chance to win next year, he won't got 4-12 like Nutt went 2-6 in 2005.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

riccoar

Wonder if players leaving will be factored in for Heath.  If HDN is here in 2007, you better bet your sweet arse that any shortcomings on defense, Chuck and the boys will remind us of the Juniors from last years team leaving.

Pork Twain

Quote from: drakehog on February 23, 2007, 03:27:12 am
I think they entered into thier respective seasons pretty much on equal ground Nutt goes 10-4 and makes a big bowl Heath has 11 loses and will not make the big dance. therefore one gets canned and one dont.

this is more for Heath what 2004 was for Nutt -- graduation and players leaving early after a fair to middlin' season. Nutt went 3-5 in the conference in 2004. If Heath goes 6-10, he's equaled it. He has a better chance to win next year, he won't got 4-12 like Nutt went 2-6 in 2005.
That would be a great argument if it was not for the fact that the new guys have done great but SH seems unable to coach.  HDN should have done better than he did as well and they both need to go.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RedSatinHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 10:01:10 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on February 22, 2007, 09:52:04 pm
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:09:39 pm

Nutt 3 championship appearances...7 out of 9 seasons, post-season.

Stan:  Bwahahahahah!

Be honest with yourself.  While 7 out of 9 seasons in bowls may be the truth on the surface, 3 of those post-season appearances were the equivalent of going to the NIT (Music City, Las Vegas, Weedeater).  No one takes any of those bowls seriously.

Nutt's first team had several players who went on to play in the NFL within 2 seasons of his arrival.  Heath didn't even start out with ONE who went to the NBA.

Okay, so counting the NIT, how many times has Heath been to the post season?

You're missing the point, and you know darn well you'd still be unhappy with Heath if his teams had only been to the NIT in half of the years he's been here.  Why should the same standard not apply to Nutt?

Prior to this season, Heath's overall W/L record had steadily improved with each passing season.  That's at least somewhat impressive considering where he started from.  He lost his two star players from last year's team, so struggling a little bit would normally be expected.

I'm not in love with Heath's SEC road record.  It's disgusting to me to think we cannot win on the road versus the last place teams in the conference on a consistent basis, and I dislike the fact that he has not beaten Kentucky in 5 tries.

Don't get me wrong.  I'm not in favor of keeping Heath around, either.  However, I DON'T favor just running him in the same way as Nutt.  Heath's too much of a gentleman for that.  I have been saying all year long that he'd end up at Minnesota at the end of the season.  I still stand by that, and I won't blame him if/when he takes that job.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Jim Harris

Quote from: riccoar on February 23, 2007, 04:22:28 am
Wonder if players leaving will be factored in for Heath.  If HDN is here in 2007, you better bet your sweet arse that any shortcomings on defense, Chuck and the boys will remind us of the Juniors from last years team leaving.

Exactly. Where are the defenders for Heath pointing out that this team should have Ronnie Brewer for his senior season this year, and therefore would have that guy who would shoulder the team down the stretch of close games, and very likely win those games? For that matter, shouldn't they also have Famutimi for HIS senior year? Was Al Jefferson also in that signing class?
If you go by the SEC writers/media and the preseason predictions, Arkansas is about where it was supposed to be. LSU is who has tanked compared with predictions. Alabama was supposed to win the division easily. For some reason, our expectations got raised on this team greatly because of a miraculous rally in the final minute against SIU to force overtime in Orlando, which somehow with McCurdy on the court will still managed to win (their toughest matchup of that tourney being the opener), the a win over Marist, which should have been expected, and the being able to fend off WVU when it was putting all new pieces together. Games like that horridly-played Texas State game at home, or the blowout at Missouri or, worse, the blowout at Alltel Arena to Texas Tech, should have told us just as much about this team as the Orlando tournament win did.
This team is similar to Sutton's second one in 1975-76, a  yo-yo of a team that had some juniors and seniors who were OK, and a couple of sophs and a freshman who were sensational. Even as good a coach as we know Sutton was, that team frustrated him to the max. Point guard, or the lack of one, would also plague Sutton from his second through his fourth or fifth teams. It might be safe to say that he didn't have a true point guard until around 1982, and he ran him off (Willie Cutts) and finally Norton played up to potential around 84. Then we were back to point guards like Scott Rose, who walked on. So, point is, even Eddie had a devil of a time acquiring a competent point man, and that was in the SWC. Makes you appreciate more that fact that Nolan was able to land a few, and made some marginals into decent point men before they were done.
By the way, the youngsters of that yo-yo Sutton team of 1976-76 managed to go 26-2 the next year. Now, do I believe Stan Heath can carve a 26-2 or thereabouts team out next year with what he has? Unlikely, especially in a talented SEC. But I only expect  them to be a lot better.
At least no one can say Heath's big men don't improve, like we heard over and over and over in Nolan's last years.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

razrken

You guys are comparing Apples to Oranges...Heath has had 5 years its time for him to go...He had a good team last year but I think he is still saving their legs.

JusPiggin

Fayetnam

Yeah, Stick up for Houston, and Throw Stan under the bus! Gee, I wonder what the differences betweent the two are?????? :-\

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: drakehog on February 22, 2007, 07:03:23 pm

Nolan wants to know the same thing. Actually, Nolan always believed there was a double standard but felt like he couldn't convince anyone of it.

We fire Nutt, it says the program back 20 years, according to Chuck, but fire Heath and we're headed to the Final Four again, because we've got kick-ass facilities.

The bar is higher for basketball.  Sutton's and Richardson's teams were ranked more often than not.  They went to the NCAAT almost every season.  They won numerous conference championships.  They went to Final Fours.  Nolan even won one and came close to winning a second.

Over the same span, football won three conference championships.  Over more than 30 years, football won three conference titles, all of those in a long-dead conference.  Today we rejoice over a three-way tie that allows us to go to Atlanta and lose.  Our leaders would rather set lower expectations than manage toward higher ones (which would require holding people responsible for failure).

If a coaching change comes in basketball, it will show they have not lowered the bar there too.  If it doesn't, welcome to Suckville.
[CENSORED]!

OzarkHighs

Quote from: pigface on February 22, 2007, 07:19:22 pm
Sean McCurdy is taking us to the big dance.   He will own the SEC tournament.

Stan the Man made the right job-security decision.  Sean is the future!!

Sean...is that you?

wooly

What is very disturbing is the basketball cupboard will be left in horrible shape after this year?

These guys are juniors and all recruited by Heath.  I believe there is no help for Beverly after next year.  Heath really missed the boat recruiting in McCurdy and Mcgowan's class and will pay for it heavily in '08( or whomever is coach)

Hollywood_HOGan

heath probably should be fired but If nutt was in heath's shoes, those clowns would still stick up for that idiot nutt

at least heath has class.

that sleaseball coaching football has zero.

Hollywood_HOGan

Quote from: wooly on February 23, 2007, 10:34:09 am
What is very disturbing is the basketball cupboard will be left in horrible shape after this year?

These guys are juniors and all recruited by Heath.  I believe there is no help for Beverly after next year.  Heath really missed the boat recruiting in McCurdy and Mcgowan's class and will pay for it heavily in '08( or whomever is coach)

we're after some big prospects for the future.

hopefully the new coach can keep the relationship going with the current recruits

plus there's still plenty of time to recruit for next the next class.

Dr Swineglove

Aggies in Hogland... what is the world coming to?  Oh well, better than the Aggie joke the bball program has become.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

Jim Harris

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on February 23, 2007, 10:01:45 am

Nolan wants to know the same thing. Actually, Nolan always believed there was a double standard but felt like he couldn't convince anyone of it.

We fire Nutt, it says the program back 20 years, according to Chuck, but fire Heath and we're headed to the Final Four again, because we've got kick-ass facilities.

If it doesn't, welcome to Suckville.

I have REM's "Don't Go Back to Rockville" going in my head now with the lyrics "Don't Go Back to Suckville...."

jst01

Quote from: drakehog on February 23, 2007, 09:18:34 am
Quote from: riccoar on February 23, 2007, 04:22:28 am

Exactly. Where are the defenders for Heath pointing out that this team should have Ronnie Brewer for his senior season this year, and therefore would have that guy who would shoulder the team down the stretch of close games, and very likely win those games? For that matter, shouldn't they also have Famutimi for HIS senior year? Was Al Jefferson also in that signing class?
If you go by the SEC writers/media and the preseason predictions, Arkansas is about where it was supposed to be. LSU is who has tanked compared with predictions. Alabama was supposed to win the division easily. For some reason, our expectations got raised on this team greatly because of a miraculous rally in the final minute against SIU to force overtime in Orlando, which somehow with McCurdy on the court will still managed to win (their toughest matchup of that tourney being the opener), the a win over Marist, which should have been expected, and the being able to fend off WVU when it was putting all new pieces together. Games like that horridly-played Texas State game at home, or the blowout at Missouri or, worse, the blowout at Alltel Arena to Texas Tech, should have told us just as much about this team as the Orlando tournament win did.
This team is similar to Sutton's second one in 1975-76, a  yo-yo of a team that had some juniors and seniors who were OK, and a couple of sophs and a freshman who were sensational. Even as good a coach as we know Sutton was, that team frustrated him to the max. Point guard, or the lack of one, would also plague Sutton from his second through his fourth or fifth teams. It might be safe to say that he didn't have a true point guard until around 1982, and he ran him off (Willie Cutts) and finally Norton played up to potential around 84. Then we were back to point guards like Scott Rose, who walked on. So, point is, even Eddie had a devil of a time acquiring a competent point man, and that was in the SWC. Makes you appreciate more that fact that Nolan was able to land a few, and made some marginals into decent point men before they were done.
By the way, the youngsters of that yo-yo Sutton team of 1976-76 managed to go 26-2 the next year. Now, do I believe Stan Heath can carve a 26-2 or thereabouts team out next year with what he has? Unlikely, especially in a talented SEC. But I only expect  them to be a lot better.
At least no one can say Heath's big men don't improve, like we heard over and over and over in Nolan's last years.

They havent improved.  Townes' best year was his freshman year, Thomas has been consistent and steady over all three, Hill looked like he may be ready to "come out" but that was a tease, and Hunter has been ok at a few key games.  Not much improvement, unless your talking about Washington and Cyrus's futures.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 22, 2007, 07:17:43 pm

Nolan was right in that a double standard existed.  I don't think his motive was 100% right.  I think it has to do more with Nutt being a supreme buttkisser than anything else.  JFB fired other white folks before that didn't kiss his butt and I think that is the common denominator in the whole situation.

Agree.  If Nutt had been as defiant as Nolan and to some degree Hatfield in the late 80s, he (Nutt) would probably have been fired after the '03 season.  JMO.

hogsanity

Quote from: AstroHawg on February 22, 2007, 07:03:58 pm

They (huggers) will talk about how much better Nutt's record is than Heath's.  The thing you will NEVER hear them say is that Nutt had alot more to start with, Heath inherited crap. 

It goes deeper than record.  Comparing records in Fb and BB is hard because BB plays 2 to 3 times as many games.  You guys talk about HDN feasting on the creampuffs, HEATH does that even more. 

Stan did start with an empty cupborad, but 5 years should have been long enough to keep up the improvement.  This team looks EXACTLY like the one 2 years ago that almost got him fired.  They have no heart, they do not seem to care.  They go on the road with the idea that they are beat.  They have a horrible home loss (GA), and they have laid 2 straight eggs on the road. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hoppytoad

???
How about a RICK MAJARIS.......he can definitely analyze talent! Probably misses the courtside.

hotlanta

I don't know if this has been posted but user(Houston Nutt) posted that nutt had 3 title appearances. 1998 he tied Miss St. and did not play in the sec title game. 2002 finished tied for 2ND, won tie breaker, Bama was on probation, went to the sec title game and in nail biter lost 30-3. Then this year, which is the first year we actually won the sec west without crap tied to it since 95.

Ouachihog

Quote from: hoppytoad on February 23, 2007, 11:50:09 am
???
How about a RICK MAJARIS.......he can definitely analyze talent! Probably misses the courtside.

He is like Chris Farley's character in the Chicago Bears' SNL skits. 

"How many heart attacks does that make for ya Bob?"
"I'd say about a baker's dozen." 

Seriously, health is the main reason he is out of coaching. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

HogBaptist

Quote from: hoppytoad on February 23, 2007, 11:50:09 am
???

please do not mention this man...oh man. please no. 

coachceprice

Nutt (loser, no integrity) white..............Heath (loser, has integrity) black, enough said.  Nolen was a winner Nutt has not won a meaningful game in at least five years.   Auburn was not meaningful, win a damn bowl game!

coachceprice

Would be very surprised if Gillepsie comes, IMO he is the best coach out there but there are some other great ones....................NOLEN BABY!  A great parting gift for the White haired devil. 

I know Nolen will never coach at Arkansas again but one can dream.

d1nonlyhogfan

Excellent point. There's not a huge difference between the winning percentages of these two during their tenures at U of A. Also, Nutt inherited some decent talent to work with his first couple of years. For Stan, the "cupboard was bare" as Rick Schaeffer stated on DTS last night. Given 9 years at U of A, I have not one doubt that Stan would at least equal Nutt's overall win percentage here.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Jim Harris

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on February 23, 2007, 01:55:15 pm

Excellent point. There's not a huge difference between the winning percentages of these two during their tenures at U of A. Also, Nutt inherited some decent talent to work with his first couple of years. For Stan, the "cupboard was bare" as Rick Schaeffer stated on DTS last night. Given 9 years at U of A, I have not one doubt that Stan would at least equal Nutt's overall win percentage here.

Yep. Folks need to realize that when Nutt began playing with mostly his own guys, not Ford's guys, from 2000 to now he's 28-28 (excluding the two losses in the SEC Championship game). That includes 7-1 this year. Between 2000-2006, when he should have shown that he had built a program, he was 21-27 in the SEC. Still better than Heath's numbers, a little, but not the kind of numbers that would keep a coach employed at any school where the administration truly gave a darn or cared more about the program's success than the power access the coach would allowing to them.

Space Man

I was told never to try to define people in one class, who make preconcieved decisions such as this site does with it's lame Huggers and Darksiders labels.  Many people from both sides, make irrational and completely biased statements based on personal sentiments.  The SEC is not a real strong basketball conference and the prestige of the Arkansas basketball program is higher than 90% of the teams in the conference, which is the exact opposite on the football side.  Stan Heath and Nutt comparisons are basically unfair and made with a distinct bias.  Heath is not a good X and O coach, while Nutt has been at least a competitive coach, who has worked with much less talent than LSU, Auburn, and Alabama.   

hawgaramus

I think you guys are missing the most important point here.  Fan interest has gone way up since Nutt has been here.  Win or lose the fans are passionate about the program.  Do you think that they could have sold out the new stadium before he got here?  Last season we got more press and more coverage on ESPN than any other season, Gameday was on campus, and there was a lot of excitement within the fanbase about the football team.

The fanbase has become more apathetic with the basketball program every year since Heath has been here.  He's been to the post season one time, and lost the one game that he coached.  There is no excitement about the basketball program.  Arkansas basketball shouldn't be have the question of will we make it to the tournament.  The question should be how high will we be seeded and who do we play in the first round.

Should Nutt have been fired after back to back losing seasons?  Probably.  Would Nutt have been fired after the season if he had a season like Heath is having?  Definitely.  Bottom line is the football team produced this season, where the basketball season isn't.

skunkhollowhog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:15:11 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:13:32 pm
It's not just the leadership either.  Even the U of A controlled media has a double standard.  They won't ever say anything negative about Nutt, but Heath...they take off the gloves.

Are you sure they don't treat Stan with kid gloves?  Where was the outcry when the #1 Bball player went out of state?  I must have missed the weeks worth of coverage that got.

Stan has been lousy on the road for a long time...only now are the papers starting to become almost sarcastic about his road performance. 
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:15:11 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:13:32 pm
It's not just the leadership either.  Even the U of A controlled media has a double standard.  They won't ever say anything negative about Nutt, but Heath...they take off the gloves.

Are you sure they don't treat Stan with kid gloves?  Where was the outcry when the #1 Bball player went out of state?  I must have missed the weeks worth of coverage that got.

Stan has been lousy on the road for a long time...only now are the papers starting to become almost sarcastic about his road performance. 

Great Point, My complaint about heath is that his teams lose games because a lack of focus and intensity.  Year end and year out.  There is Talent and has been talent on this team since his third year and none have had sustained intensity.  His X's and O's are inconsistent as well and no identity has been created for his Teams.   Nolan's Teams Played hard defense, Nutts Teams run the ball and play hard, Can anyone define what exactly Heaths teams are about.

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: drakehog on February 23, 2007, 02:34:27 pm
Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on February 23, 2007, 01:55:15 pm

Yep. Folks need to realize that when Nutt began playing with mostly his own guys, not Ford's guys, from 2000 to now he's 28-28 (excluding the two losses in the SEC Championship game). That includes 7-1 this year. Between 2000-2006, when he should have shown that he had built a program, he was 21-27 in the SEC. Still better than Heath's numbers, a little, but not the kind of numbers that would keep a coach employed at any school where the administration truly gave a crap or cared more about the program's success than the power access the coach would allowing to them.
Actually, since 2004-05 (Heath's third season, when he was basically working with his own talent), Heath is 21-24 in SEC play. That's better than 21-27, and we still have a couple of home games left this season in basketball.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer