Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did we secretly fire Heath today?

Started by Jim Harris, February 22, 2007, 06:53:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Harris

Clay sure sounds like it on Sportsrappers. And he sounded more excited than I've heard him in a while talking about Billy Gillespie and how he'd always be second fiddle to Texas when he's at A&M, which is why Arkansas should appeal to him.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

KinkosHog

Quote from: drakehog on February 22, 2007, 06:53:22 pm
Clay sure sounds like it on Sportsrappers. And he sounded more excited than I've heard him in a while talking about Billy Gillespie and how he'd always be second fiddle to Texas when he's at A&M, which is why Arkansas should appeal to him.

I was thinking the same thing.

He said that Arkansas won't get to the NCAAT, or in all likelihood won't, and that would lead to Heath's dismissal.

AstroHawg

Hypocrites.  If Nutt would have been "secretly axed" these guys (Chuck and Clay) would be full of more piss and vinegar than ever.

RhodeHog

The double standard is unbelievable.  I've got a question for you Huggers.  Why is there a double standard with Heath and Nutt? 

WilsonHog

Well, now wouldn't that be an interesting turn of events.

Jim Harris

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:00:08 pm
The double standard is unbelievable.  I've got a question for you Huggers.  Why is there a double standard with Heath and Nutt? 

Nolan wants to know the same thing. Actually, Nolan always believed there was a double standard but felt like he couldn't convince anyone of it.

We fire Nutt, it says the program back 20 years, according to Chuck, but fire Heath and we're headed to the Final Four again, because we've got kick-ass facilities.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

AstroHawg

They (huggers) will talk about how much better Nutt's record is than Heath's.  The thing you will NEVER hear them say is that Nutt had alot more to start with, Heath inherited crap. 

RhodeHog

hogfan064

Quote from: AstroHawg on February 22, 2007, 07:03:58 pm

They (huggers) will talk about how much better Nutt's record is than Heath's.  The thing you will NEVER hear them say is that Nutt had alot more to start with, Heath inherited crap. 

Nutt's team improved by 5 games after Ford left.  Heath's first team actually lost several more games than Nolan's last.  That's poor reasoning on your part.

Fact is that you don't keep a guy doing a terrible job and that's what Heath is doing.  I could careless what Nutt is doing when it comes to the basketball program.

hOUSTon NUTT

Nutt 3 championship appearances...7 out of 9 seasons, post-season.

Stan:  Bwahahahahah!

football17

they would never speculate on replacement candidates about Nutt. NEVER...

hOUSTon NUTT

NUTT: Wins big games on the road.

Stan: Bwahahahah!

budcampbellfan

Quote from: drakehog on February 22, 2007, 07:03:23 pm

Nolan wants to know the same thing. Actually, Nolan always believed there was a double standard but felt like he couldn't convince anyone of it.

We fire Nutt, it says the program back 20 years, according to Chuck, but fire Heath and we're headed to the Final Four again, because we've got kick-ass facilities.
How many years is our keeping Nutt setting the program back?
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

merccedes

I think they entered into thier respective seasons pretty much on equal ground Nutt goes 10-4 and makes a big bowl Heath has 11 loses and will not make the big dance. therefore one gets canned and one dont.

RhodeHog

It's not just the leadership either.  Even the U of A controlled media has a double standard.  They won't ever say anything negative about Nutt, but Heath...they take off the gloves.

HOGBLOODED

I think when we get a new AD they're both gone.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:13:32 pm
It's not just the leadership either.  Even the U of A controlled media has a double standard.  They won't ever say anything negative about Nutt, but Heath...they take off the gloves.

Are you sure they don't treat Stan with kid gloves?  Where was the outcry when the #1 Bball player went out of state?  I must have missed the weeks worth of coverage that got.

Stan has been lousy on the road for a long time...only now are the papers starting to become almost sarcastic about his road performance. 

Archie Gaines

The question here is about Heath.

I think he already knows about a Buy-Out Price,
which is available even IF he resigns...

Don't need a public firing this soon after Dr White
starts consolidating his influences..
"No man who is corrupt,  no man who condones corruption in others,  can possibly do his duty in the community... "

Teddy Roosevelt  -  May 12, 1900

SuthrnFballer15

I think if they get rid of Heath ( which I don't want) - will try and take pressure and attention from Nutt and use it as "we are making changes" type response to any criticism.
"If you're attitude is 'I was good yesterday,' you can't do that at Arkansas. Whoever your opponent is, it's a big game. Everything is up for grabs." - Coach Pelphrey

"I'm not really good at being a shifty kind of guy who likes to make moves -- I like to be a straight-line guy and run over somebody if I can."
-Peyton Hillis

"Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog" - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant

RhodeHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:15:11 pm

Are you sure they don't treat Stan with kid gloves?  Where was the outcry when the #1 Bball player went out of state?  I must have missed the weeks worth of coverage that got.

Stan has been lousy on the road for a long time...only now are the papers starting to become almost sarcastic about his road performance. 

I was mainly talking about Chuck and Rick.  It just seems to me that they can say nothing about Houston, but they are critical of the basketball program and Heath all the time. 

I'm trying to look at this with a neutral point of view.  Am I missing something?

riccoar

drake,

I doubt he was fired.  I imagine he was shown the map which would save his job, NCAAT or your fired.  The chance of that happening are about as good as Nutt never deflecting blame to someone else other then himself again.

pigface

Sean McCurdy is taking us to the big dance.   He will own the SEC tournament.

Stan the Man made the right job-security decision.  Sean is the future!!

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:18:09 pm

I was mainly talking about Chuck and Rick.  It just seems to me that they can say nothing about Houston, but they are critical of the basketball program and Heath all the time. 

I'm trying to look at this with a neutral point of view.  Am I missing something?

Who knows, but regardless about how people feel about Nutt, that doesn't change the fact that STAN deserves to be ripped and fired.  That's neutral.  Stan's record speaks for itself, and if he's sent packing, he's earned it.

RhodeHog

Quote from: pigface on February 22, 2007, 07:19:22 pm
Sean McCurdy is taking us to the big dance.   He will own the SEC tournament.

I want whatever you're drinking!  :)

RhodeHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:19:39 pm

Who knows, but regardless about how people feel about Nutt, that doesn't change the fact that STAN deserves to be ripped and fired.  That's neutral.  Stan's record speaks for itself, and if he's sent packing, he's earned it.

I agree that Stan needs to go.  I just hate double standards, period. 

HogHeathen

Double standard?  seriously?

HOGBLOODED

Quote from: pigface on February 22, 2007, 07:19:22 pm
Sean McCurdy is taking us to the big dance.   He will own the SEC tournament.

+1, its been a while since I laughed that hard

Ex-Trumpet

Think maybe Nolan was right?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

razornole

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:10:53 pm

um 2 maybe 3? don't know just curious
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

rlamb

Yea, and maybe then if Montel is fired, then there is a BIG LaWSUIT against the
U of A proving Nolan was RIGHT, if Montel wins it or maybe him and Nolan and Gary
Blair can all go in on a class action lawsuit against those "GOOD OLE BOYS" on that
HILL and win!   The U of A in their infinite wisdom in keeping the Nutt is the key to Heath winning a potential discrimination lawsuit.

RhodeHog

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on February 22, 2007, 07:21:58 pm

Think maybe Nolan was right?

I think Nolan was DEAD ON, I just think he approached it wrong.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: RhodeHog on February 22, 2007, 07:20:48 pm

I agree that Stan needs to go.  I just hate double standards, period. 

I don't think the double-standard is with the media.

Look no further than your computer screen for a double-standard.  Why Heath isn't the subject of every other thread, I cannot understand.  16-11 with the most highly-touted talent in the West v. 10-4.

The apathy toward Stan is indicative of his failures...

If anything, the media's been too soft on Stan.  If he were coaching at Kentucky, this would be a different situation altogether.  It would get ugly for Stan in a hurry.  UK fans hate Tubby (5-0 against Heath) and diatribe against him daily.  Imagine what they'd do to a coach with a 6-33 SEC road record!

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: rlamb on February 22, 2007, 07:23:21 pm
Yea, and maybe then if Montel is fired, then there is a BIG LaWSUIT against the
U of A proving Nolan was RIGHT, if Montel wins it or maybe him and Nolan and Gary
Blair can all go in on a class action lawsuit against those "GOOD OLE BOYS" on that
HILL and win!   The U of A in their infinite wisdom in keeping the Nutt is the key to Heath winning a potential discrimination lawsuit.

A class action, with 3 plaintiffs?  Good luck with your civil procedure final. 

PintailKiller

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:10:53 pm

Just not in the post season!
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

riccoar

Apparently you've never heard John Walker in a courtroom.  He would try and argue that manufacturers of pens are racist because they don't make white ones.  Did you really ever think when we were hiring Nolan's replacement that we would hire a white guy?  They were at least that smart in their hiring process.

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: riccoar on February 22, 2007, 07:25:53 pm

Apparently you've never heard John Walker in a courtroom.  He would try and argue that manufacturers of pens are racist because they don't make white ones.  Did you really ever think when we were hiring Nolan's replacement that we would hire a white guy?  They were at least that smart in their hiring process.

So, you think they were smart in their hiring process because they hired a black coach (who, by the way is incompetent)?  Wow.  Just...wow.

silvertip

Quote from: drakehog on February 22, 2007, 06:53:22 pm

For those here that don't know, Clay is as rabid a Heath-hater as there is around. It stems from Clay serious man-crush on Modica, and Clay's oft-expressed opinion that Stan didn't treat poor Pookie right.

Clay would be as thrilled with a Heath firing as any rabid darksider would be over a Nutt-canning. Clay is anything but a "journalist" when it comes to Heath.

Brand X Hog Fan

February 22, 2007, 07:34:13 pm #37 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:35:48 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: merccedes on February 22, 2007, 07:12:49 pm
I think they entered into thier respective seasons pretty much on equal ground Nutt goes 10-4 and makes a big bowl Heath has 11 loses and will not make the big dance. therefore one gets canned and one dont.

Nutt picks up the number one prospect in the nation, the OC of the year, has the Heisman runner up, has a 5 star receiver, wins ten in a row, loses the last 3 that were very winnable, runs off the afore mentioned 3 allstars, falls into scandal worthy only of JR and Bobby Ewing on Dallas, lies, spins, blames, allows his mentor and AD to take the fall for him and gets an extension and a pay raise.

Stan works hard, takes some local talent and some guys that were overlooked in recruiting, a perceived washed up head coach as an assistant, improves every year, handles unbelievable egos in Brewer and Modica last year, babies Townes along this year till he gets his head on straight, keeps the team in a position to win every game save 2 if they just play some ball but comes up short.

Nutt deserves to be fired for being corrupt and an embarrassment to the state of Arkansas as well as ruining the lives and careers of those entrusted to him.

Stan deserves to get fired for not getting the job done. He should have his hand shaken, a hearty thanks, and his buyout check presented to him along with a steak dinner.

There is no comparison between Nutt and Stan.

"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

hOUSTon NUTT

6-33

That's all I need to get rid of Heath.  I don't need Clay, Chuck, Wally, Mike, Rick, Randy, anybody. 

6-33

Stan gets the job done 15% of the time.  Bottomline.

riccoar

No, what I meant was that was a major factor with the lawsuit looming.  Perception would have been huge and John Walker would have rode that train forever.  JFB still followed his process of an up and comer he could get cheap. 

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on February 22, 2007, 07:34:13 pm

Nutt picks up the number one prospect in the nation, the OC of the year, has the Heisman runner up, has a 5 star receiver, wins ten in a row, loses the last 3 that were very winnable, runs off the afore mentioned 3 allstars, falls into scandal worthy only of JR and Bobby Ewing on Dallas, lies, spins, blames, allows his mentor and AD to take the fall for him and gets an extension and a pay raise.

Nutt deserves to be fired for being corrupt and an embarrassment to the state of Arkansas as well as ruining the lives and careers of those entrusted to him.

Stan deserves to get fired for not getting the job done. He should have his hand shaken, a hearty thanks, and his buyout check presented to him along with a steak dinner.

Stan works hard, takes some local talent and some guys that were overlooked in recruiting, a perceived washed up head coach as an assistant, improves every year, handles unbelievable egos in Brewer and Modica last year, babies Townes along this year till he gets his head on straight, keeps the team in a position to win every game save 2 if they just play some ball but comes up short.

1.  Apparently, the OC didn't call the plays.  So he's no great loss.
2.  Damian was a 4-star.
3.  Dallas, JR Ewing?  Now there's a dated analogy.

They both lost the #1 recruit in the state.  Only one caught hell for it...

hOUSTon NUTT

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 22, 2007, 07:37:05 pm
Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:34:37 pm
6-33

That's all I need to get rid of Heath.  I don't need Clay, Chuck, Wally, Mike, Rick, Randy, anybody. 

6-33

On the road.  Good grief folks.  Do any of you know how to clarify your thoughts?  I agree that record is horrible but this is how bad information gets spread on the board. 

Do you think anyone didn't know that that referred to his road record?

BORN2PIG

keeping my fingers crossed that he gone with all of his other assistants

RhodeHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:38:17 pm
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 22, 2007, 07:37:05 pm
6-33

6-33

On the road.  Good grief folks.  Do any of you know how to clarify your thoughts?  I agree that record is horrible but this is how bad information gets spread on the board. 

Do you think anyone didn't know that that referred to his road record?

Seriously, have you seen some of these posts?

mbgrulz

6-33

6-33

road schmoad. hell, we can't even win at home half of the time now.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:28:38 pm
Quote from: riccoar on February 22, 2007, 07:25:53 pm

So, you think they were smart in their hiring process because they hired a black coach (who, by the way is incompetent)?  Wow.  Just...wow.

Well, it is pretty well accepted that JFB wanted Bill Self, and Self was interested. Problem was, we couldn't pay Self more money than Nolan was getting. Hence, Plan B.

Uncle Jed

Guys, we should not fall for this.   Official word must have come down to RS, CB, and their mafia that Stan is done.   Like Bacon said, it is their intent (scheme) to fire Stan to divert attention and heat away from Nutt.   And watch for a very long and drawn out search for the head BB coach - enough to get us complaining about it.   They want us thinking basketball - not football.     

Relentless heat and pressure will crack the nutt.     Keep focus.
Note to John White:   Please do your job.     Frank and Nutt have repeatedly demonstrated that they are not capable of theirs.    Time to find somebody that who is capable ....and end this nightmare.   The players and fans deserve better than this.

HoopS

Stan was handed a program that was doomed from the get-go.  He has improved every season.  However, he has now taken a step back.  Barring a great run, he will be fired.   I'm ok with, even though I like Stan.  I'm proud to be represented by him and really wish he hadn't lost his team.  Again, I believe he has probably lost his job now.  I hope they handle his departure with class because to me, he has been nothing but classy. 

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: hOUSTon NUTT on February 22, 2007, 07:37:08 pm
Quote from: Seahawk4ever on February 22, 2007, 07:34:13 pm

1.  Apparently, the OC didn't call the plays.  So he's no great loss.
2.  Damian was a 4-star.
3.  Dallas, JR Ewing?  Now there's a dated analogy.

They both lost the #1 recruit in the state.  Only one caught hell for it...

I'm old . . . Modern soaps got nothing on JR Ewing for sneakiness and brutality. Neither does Nutt. I am not talking in state recruits. I am talking the Number one QB prospect in the country.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Brand X Hog Fan

February 22, 2007, 07:51:04 pm #49 Last Edit: February 22, 2007, 07:53:12 pm by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on February 22, 2007, 07:41:05 pm
Since when did Townes get his head straight?

Well, at least he is staying in the huddle now. Hey, I want Stan gone. I want him gone now before he does any more damage. But comparing him to Nutt is not just. Maybe after 2004, before Nutt showed his true colors this argument would have been more pertinent. They both need to be gone, but for very different reasons. Nutt's case has very little to do with the game of football.

Quote from: HoopSlap on February 22, 2007, 07:45:32 pm
Stan was handed a program that was doomed from the get-go.  He has improved every season.  However, he has now taken a step back.  Barring a great run, he will be fired.   I'm ok with, even though I like Stan.  I'm proud to be represented by him and really wish he hadn't lost his team.  Again, I believe he has probably lost his job now.  I hope they handle his departure with class because to me, he has been nothing but classy. 

+1 Hoop. Exactly the way I feel about it.