Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Griffey the only No. 1 pick in HOF

Started by onebadrubi, July 25, 2016, 01:51:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Did not realize that till this weekend.  I would have said surely a No.1 pick was in the HoF over the years. 

gutshot

Hard to believe isn't it?  He won't be the only one for long.  Chipper Jones is headed that way in a couple of years.  I don't think Joe Mauer or Adrian Gonzalez will get there, so your next best option is Alex Rodriguez and we don't even have to get into that discussion, do we?

clutch

Quote from: gutshot on July 25, 2016, 03:30:47 pm
Hard to believe isn't it?  He won't be the only one for long.  Chipper Jones is headed that way in a couple of years.  I don't think Joe Mauer or Adrian Gonzalez will get there, so your next best option is Alex Rodriguez and we don't even have to get into that discussion, do we?

After that the next best chances would have to go to Strausberg and Harper, and they both still have a lot of career left in front of them to prove they are HOF worthy.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on July 25, 2016, 05:29:28 pm
After that the next best chances would have to go to Strausberg and Harper, and they both still have a lot of career left in front of them to prove they are HOF worthy.
Same with Carlos Correa, David Price, and to a lesser extent, Gerritt Cole.  With the improvements in scouting over the last decade, I think we see more #1 picks stay in the HOF picture if they aren't inducted.

Porked Tongue

Weird combination to go in together as Piazza was the lowest pick ever to make the HOF.

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 25, 2016, 07:04:01 pm
Same with Carlos Correa, David Price, and to a lesser extent, Gerritt Cole.  With the improvements in scouting over the last decade, I think we see more #1 picks stay in the HOF picture if they aren't inducted.

Completely forgot about David Price.

onebadrubi

clutch

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2016, 11:25:50 pm
Y'all think DP will make the HOF?

Not as of now I don't. But it's still too early to tell.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on July 26, 2016, 04:57:19 pm
Not as of now I don't. But it's still too early to tell.
I agree with this.  He is 30 so he is in the prime of his career, but he isn't having a very good year.  He needs about 30 WAR over the next 5 years to start entering the conversation for the HOF.  Right now he is at 30.8 WAR for his career while most HOF are in the 75+ WAR range.  The next couple of years are critical considering he is built more around his fastball and he needs to maintain the elite velo which makes him who he is.