Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

March 28, 2024, 05:50:07 pm

Keyboard Warriors

Started by greenEGnHAWGS, November 10, 2017, 09:17:18 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 11:52:46 am
Definitely follow what I say. I'll assure you "fatso", "Bert", "loser", etc won't be posted by me.

There are a few posters here that can not post without name calling or making it personal. They also can not accept that anyone might dare disagree with them. And these people are not all on one side of an argument.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mckinneyhog5

Think about this..a team losing football games drives these people to react this way. Think about how they will react when something happens closer to home that has real life consequences. Scary thought! BTW good post!
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Seebs

I will be notifying Gloria Allred to this thread so a class action can begin for those that have had their opinions besmirched, their feelings hurt and what they identify as (long hater, CBB lover) questioned.

When in court you may have one of those little black bars over your eyes as to not be identified.

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Roy Bacon

Good post greenEGnHAWGS . I see a lot of threads here that I think I may be interested but once I open them and see all the nonsense , I lose interest . I like Bret and I'm not going to pretend to know what the answer to this mess is, but it is without doubt , time for him to go.
Just say no to the forward facing Hog !

Birminghog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 10, 2017, 11:40:04 am
To answer the original question, no, not everyone on here would. Some would, because people are people.

The internet, because of the relative anonymity it affords, gives people an opportunity to say things that previously would have been reserved for one-on-one or small group conversations around the water cooler or the hood of a truck.

Wilson, would that the standard set on EI by you SPAL, UCA, and others permeated to every board. Thanks for that.

jkstock04

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 11:39:10 am
I actually agree with your points. But don't think that because CBB is being discussed that anyone is against "helping our current culture". But if I was to try this, who should I have started out using as an example of overstepping our boundaries in the personal attacks on Hogville? CBB is the one used as he is the one who is attacked here. Yes, I like CBB as a person but I didn't just start having these standards in my life just when CBB was starting to spiral downward and the insults started up.

Calling out those who are discussing personal attacks to the current head coach of the Razorbacks and saying that we should try political figures first or our current boss is silly. This is where the attacks are regarding a current head coach. So this is an appropriate place to discuss such things. But don't assume that anyone who support that standard of class is ONLY practicing it here and not at their job, school, or wherever.
I see an obvious bias. You like the guy so you take it personal. I would wager if it were a coach you didn't like and cheap shots were taken at him you wouldn't start a thread complaining about it.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 12:25:13 pm
Wilson, would that the standard set on EI by you SPAL, UCA, and others permeated to every board. Thanks for that.

And MMQB would have about as many posters as does EI, which is why that wont happen in mmqb
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 12:25:13 pm

No. EI, in fact, is the way I wish every forum on here was run. It's made possible because the number of regular posters in EI is small in comparison with MMQB and Jump Ball.

jkstock04

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 11:59:56 am
Think about this..a team losing football games drives these people to react this way. Think about how they will react when something happens closer to home that has real life consequences. Scary thought! BTW good post!
Hilarious. You are one of the top 10, probably top 5 people on here who make things very personal.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogsanity

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 12:26:28 pm
I see an obvious bias. You like the guy so you take it personal. I would wager if it were a coach you didn't like and cheap shots were taken at him you wouldn't start a thread complaining about it.

HEre is the question. IF you think BB has done a bad job, why not just post " I think BB has done a bad job."?  Why do some feel it necessary to post " Bert is just a big fatty loser, he is not capable of coaching a pee wee team."   

Birminghog

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 12:26:40 pm
And MMQB would have about as many posters as does EI, which is why that wont happen in mmqb

You think so? Is it not due more to the relative popularity of football and baseball on HV? Personally, I like baseball & basketball better than football, but I want all UA endeavors to be successful. I think I post more on EI & JB than I do on MMQB (today notwithstanding), but I couldn't swear to it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's the idea of debate. I only know that I tend to stay away from MMQB after a loss because of the nature of much of the posting.

Birminghog

Quote from: WilsonHog on November 10, 2017, 12:27:51 pm
No. EI, in fact, is the way I wish every forum on here was run. It's made possible because the number of regular posters in EI is small in comparison with MMQB and Jump Ball.

Okay. Thanks anyway. EI is the best.

007 License To Squeal

I would think part of his job is to be a good example in representing U of A.  Wearing shorts and flip flops to a presser is not a good image......
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

jkstock04

Quote from: hogsanity on November 10, 2017, 12:28:51 pm
HEre is the question. IF you think BB has done a bad job, why not just post " I think BB has done a bad job."?  Why do some feel it necessary to post " Bert is just a big fatty loser, he is not capable of coaching a pee wee team."   
I don't know...I don't partake in that stuff because calling what a piss poor coach he is, is plenty enough without the personal stuff. But on the other hand, it doesn't trigger me. I've seen this movie before and that's just way she goes, especially on the internet.

Polarizing...or negativity viewed public figures are going to catch hell.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Birminghog

Quote from: 007 License To Squeal on November 10, 2017, 12:35:06 pm
I would think part of his job is to be a good example in representing U of A.  Wearing shorts and flip flops to a presser is not a good image......

Can't disagree with that. Well put.

Wild Boarnado

Good post. Thanks for expressing my thoughts. We are all human beings - all brothers and sisters - all children of God - I was brought up to respect others and to be kind to them even if I disagreed with them. That don't make me a good person - I'm no better than any other - it just makes me a person who tries to treat others as I would like to be treated.

As to the Internet being cruel - The Internet is us - we are each a part of it - we each need to be the change we want to see in how we treat each other - it won't cure the wounded who continue to be mean to others - in fact there are those who's main mission seems to be one of trying to be as cruel to others as they can - but even they are no reason for us to join 'em.  The more of us who strive to be kinder to each other, the more the Internet will be a kinder place.

"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 12:32:40 pm
You think so? Is it not due more to the relative popularity of football and baseball on HV? Personally, I like baseball & basketball better than football, but I want all UA endeavors to be successful. I think I post more on EI & JB than I do on MMQB (today notwithstanding), but I couldn't swear to it.

Maybe you're right. Maybe it's the idea of debate. I only know that I tend to stay away from MMQB after a loss because of the nature of much of the posting.

hogsanity is right this time

MMQB is a little too extreme especially right now.  The forum I refuse to name is extreme the other way. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 12:28:44 pm
Hilarious. You are one of the top 10, probably top 5 people on here who make things very personal.
I'm sure you have plenty of examples..Am I perfect? No. But if calling people out for lies qualifies as making things personal, then I'm guilty. 
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

ShadowHawg

Most of the posters here wouldn't dare talk the crap they they do here in person.

But I also think things can be taken wrong because there is a lot of comunication that can't be translated to the internet.

I see people missing things like sarcasm constantly for instance.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 10, 2017, 12:54:33 pm
Most of the posters here wouldn't dare talk the crap they they do here in person.

But I also think things can be taken wrong because there is a lot of comunication that can't be translated to the internet.

I see people missing things like sarcasm constantly for instance.

You know what else.  Most coaches wouldn't talk in public like they talk in the locker room or meeting rooms.  Most business people wouldn't talk in public like they talk in the office or when decisions are being made, strategies planned, or asses being chewed.  They don't use the same tone, tenor, and language in a meeting with a customers as they would in an internal meeting.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

CareBear

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 12:28:44 pm
Yes he is.
I don't have an enemy in this world. I am friends with all of my ex gf's. There are no dudes that I have beef with. Some of us on here who have been on record voicing our collective concerns about the ineptitude of this coaching staff & AD have been attacked with childish personal jabs & quips. I reckon that's what one does when their argument starts going to sh*t. Perhaps more attention should be given to the real problems that have come to characterize the train wreck that has been CBB's tenure as the Razorback coach vs trying to bully those of us who don't fall in line like sheep every time we hear #uncommon or "be patient, let him get his guys in here. It's coming"
I just want OUR beloved Razorbacks to be back in the hands of people who know how much that HOG (classic version) means to this state. The Razorbacks have represented the collective spirit of our wonderful state. There could not be a more fitting mascot than the Razorback for our state. I feel that we are welcoming, intelligent, & generally nice folks who will give people the benefit of the doubt...but if one brings bad intentions our way we will come back at those folks with the ferocity of a wild HOG!

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 09:17:18 am
So, I know this will probably get removed but I'm just curious if the keyboard warriors on here actually act like this in real life? Or in other words, would you really call someone all sorts of insulting names to their face in real life?

I was raised to respect others. The only people I decide not to respect are morally inept scumbags. But someone who has tried and simply failed is not deserving of insults and personal attacks. Just because no one will ever know who I am has not changed that fact for me. Names like "Butters", "Dumpling", "Fatso", "Bert", etc just show a huge case of immaturity from many of you, and I wonder how many of ya'll are what I asked...like this in real life or just keyboard warriors?

Btw...I'd take name calling for millions too, but that fact hasn't changed my stance on the personal attacks. I want him gone, but he's most likely struggling with this on a personal level. Who wouldn't? Having an entire nation see that you just can't cut it with the big boys. I doubt the money is taking that humiliation away.

When Enos's dad died, I wondered if it was Bret's dad, would the personal attacks stop. Cuz those situations help make many realize that everyone is human and is not far off from being just like us.
I've most certainly gone to the "dark side" over the past month to six weeks. I want the guy gone as soon as yesterday. However, I agree that personal attacks through the name calling is not infantile but also unnecessary. Whether it's about the guy's weight or whatever....let it go. Offers nothing to the argument and only makes the poster sound childish. When it's all said and done I obviously can't explain why some insist on doing it. Perhaps it makes them somehow feel more worthwhile.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: dpetty121263 on November 10, 2017, 10:46:58 am
Well even if Bert is let go and replaced I am not sure the situation will improve all that much for U of A Fayettenam as the Razorbacks are sucking hind tit for recruits..The biggest,fastest, best catchers and throwers are going elsewhere to bigger and better programs as Football is big business now and these players goes where they can get the best piece of the pie... Recruiting is the life blood to any program and I just think U of A Fayettenam is not a tour of duty many want to make...least wise these days..
Not sure many expect an instant miracle even if a new coach comes in. However, every turn of a program has to begin somewhere and with the right man to lead it. And that's what we obviously hoping for. And as for your comments about U of A not being able to attract quality players because of whatever....crapola.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jgcat4 on November 10, 2017, 10:33:27 am
I'll call him Bert, Fat Boy and Shrek to his face. I don't care. I've been fat all my life. I was also made fun of all my life. It made me tough. This is life. Not everyone gets a trophy. Win 8-10 every year and no one cares.
So.....because YOU'VE been picked on and called names, to which you admit, you figure that makes it automatically right and somehow manly to do the same with someone else. You say you'd call CBB names to his face. Well, I truly wonder about that. Most of those claiming such are truly cowards at heart. Easy to sit behind a key board and be a tough guy; far different matter to "man up" and do it.

greenEGnHAWGS

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 10, 2017, 02:30:55 pm
You know what else.  Most coaches wouldn't talk in public like they talk in the locker room or meeting rooms.  Most business people wouldn't talk in public like they talk in the office or when decisions are being made, strategies planned, or asses being chewed.  They don't use the same tone, tenor, and language in a meeting with a customers as they would in an internal meeting.

Yes. People use different language, tone, etc in different situations. But I'm not exactly sure where that plays into this. So, at which point in any conversation is it ok to call people fatty, fatso, dumplings, or butters? Is there a time for that? If you can think of a situation, I'm sure that situation is NOT to a guy who is trying to win with the team we love, but just couldn't do it.
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 10, 2017, 11:26:00 am
Y'all are crying over commonplace. I don't call Bielema names because I find calling out what a piss poor coach he is plenty enough without making it personal.

But, the whining and crying over it simply because you like the guy or still think he should be our coach is laughable. Answer me this, what public figure in any field isn't subject to scrutiny or personal verbal attack?

Yes, morally its not the "right" thing. But instead of starting a campaign to simply protect Bielema or Long..maybe you should start the campaign to correct current human culture, or maybe even look in the mirror yourself and ask if you have ever done the same to someone you didn't approve of. Maybe your boss? Maybe a govt official in office? Etc.

It's not about him. It's about "us".
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Birminghog on November 10, 2017, 11:30:15 am
This is not about him. It's about us.

I sometimes hear people express sympathy for big-time coaches because of how hard they work and how many hours they put in. No doubt they do, but they are generously compensated. My answer is always, "Okay. Tell you what. Put me in that position for a year and then can me because I don't win. I'll retire on the bread they pay those guys for one year."

We do not hurt others when we resort to ad hominem attacks. We simply hurt our own reputations.  Let's show those who see us from afar that we can be critical, if need be, in a way that raises the discourse, not lowers it. I think that is all that some of us are asking. Let's be the proud Arkansans our parents and grandparents reared us to be, and be the example needed by our children and our society.

I swear I did not see this post before I wrote my previous post
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 10, 2017, 09:17:18 am
So, I know this will probably get removed but I'm just curious if the keyboard warriors on here actually act like this in real life? Or in other words, would you really call someone all sorts of insulting names to their face in real life?

I was raised to respect others. The only people I decide not to respect are morally inept scumbags. But someone who has tried and simply failed is not deserving of insults and personal attacks. Just because no one will ever know who I am has not changed that fact for me. Names like "Butters", "Dumpling", "Fatso", "Bert", etc just show a huge case of immaturity from many of you, and I wonder how many of ya'll are what I asked...like this in real life or just keyboard warriors?

Btw...I'd take name calling for millions too, but that fact hasn't changed my stance on the personal attacks. I want him gone, but he's most likely struggling with this on a personal level. Who wouldn't? Having an entire nation see that you just can't cut it with the big boys. I doubt the money is taking that humiliation away.

When Enos's dad died, I wondered if it was Bret's dad, would the personal attacks stop. Cuz those situations help make many realize that everyone is human and is not far off from being just like us.

So awesome of you to post this and as I read responses giving you props from posters whom have been 1000% negative to everything you mentioned with "good post bro" makes me laugh to no end...Good luck keeping the chuckle heads at bay...I applaud you sir for being a decent human being and not attacking CBB and countless others with slanderous bullcrap but sticking to the disappointing expectations of the University of Arkansas Football Team!!! Bravo you kind sir and SPITE anyone whom give you sh*t for posting your ADULT opinion...👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽🏈🐗

From Tusk Till Dawn

Great post.  I enjoy the back and forth, the sarcasm, point and counter point.  Spirited debate is fun.  Personal attacks derail the conversation and in my mind just make you look small.  When it happens, its typically followed by alot of piling on which emboldens everyone to go a little further.  Typical herd mentality.  The only good part about that is you know who to discount right away.

Torqued pork

Bielema is an easy target. He's a middle-aged man who makes more $ per year than most will make in a lifetime and he has made it after predicting new heights while delivering historical lows. Throw in the fact that he shows no sign of caring about his health or appearance but landed a trophy wife anyway and he's been living every man's dream minus his horrible job performance.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on November 10, 2017, 11:59:56 am
Think about this..a team of 18-22 year-olds losing football games drives these people to react this way. Think about how they will react when something happens closer to home that has real life consequences. Scary thought! BTW good post!
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Pork Twain

I am sarcastic, but try to avoid personal attacks.  Unless I am pushed and then the gloves are off.  I am always honest to a fault though and relentless.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

RexMentor

The problem is that for many in this state, the fortunes of the football team are our fortunes. We rise or fall as they rise or fall. The success or failure of 18 to 22 year olds is our success or failure. It's that way elsewhere, too. It's always been that way and will continue to be that way. In the Byzantine Empire, there were two factions at the chariot races  in the Hippodrome -- the blues and the greens. They would often go to war with each other over the results of the races. It's the same way today -- the only difference is today it's a war of words waged long distance with keyboards as our weapons.

VBHOG

I have no problem with BB possibly being humiliated over losing this job. He came into it with no humility and full of bluster. He arrived running his mouth about what he was going to do in the SEC, comparing his Big 10 record to Saban's, picking fights with other coaches, whining about pace of play in the interest of player safety while at the same time playing Brandon Allen when he could barely raise his arm, talking about death certificates, pissing off a large group of high school coaches in what should be a fertile recruiting ground because they play a different style than he prefers, etc., etc. He needed to be humbled. Karma.

That being said, I absolutely agree with the OP about the name calling and personal attacks. It's juvenile and takes away from other possibly good points that are being made.