Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Look at Mike Leach tree (not Leach)

Started by verticalhog, September 12, 2017, 12:32:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

verticalhog

The following article appeared BEFORE Lincoln Riley's Sooners kicked Ohio State's behind in the horseshoe.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731672-lincoln-riley-coach-oklahoma-football-interview

Mike Stoops knew what he was doing with the timing of his "retirement" so he could turn over the reins to Riley without going through a coaching search.  He knew what kind of football mind Riley had and was the type of offensive genius that was the future of football (Bobby Petrino on steroids).  He also knew that if hadn't timed it the way he did, Riley would not have been given the job.  If you read the article, you'll see that Riley couldn't make it as a college QB due to an injury in high school but Mike Leach saw something in him and made him his "assistant" (not an assistant coach) at 19 years old.  He studied the game by Leach's side.  Regardless of what you think of Leach as a person or coach, he is, without question, a genius when it comes to offense.  Riley picked his brain but isn't "crazy" like Leach can be.  I think Oklahoma has struck it rich with this guy and he could have the Sooners as a perennial powerhouse for the next 30 years (if football lasts that long).

So, my suggestion is to study every coach who has spent at least two or three years learning from Mike Leach.  Get it down to something like the "top 5" and do a lot of research of those five to find out who is level-headed, a person of character, has a burning desire to win, and understands that there must be a balance between offense and defense.  Go hire that person!  Well, that's my 1.5 cents worth.

STLhawg

Mike hasn't retired; pretty sure he was coaching the defense that game.  ;)

verticalhog

Yes, Mike was in Columbus coaching the Sooner defense and then flew out to Pullman to coach the great comeback of Wazzu against Boise State!  Did you see his press conference talking about aliens and such.  Definitely a colorful character (I actually really like the guy but don't want him as the Hogs' coach).  I do believe he's more of an offensive guru than Bobby Petrino (who is tough to beat from that standpoint).  Mike does score better on character than Bobby but let's don't get either one of them.  Go find someone they schooled and roll the dice!

Beaverfever

I think we should pay a coach like Stoops or Leach to advise us on potential coaches.  Surely they would be flattered.  We don't need to hire a guy like Nutt or Bielema just because they know how to interview well and give good speeches at luncheons for boosters.  We need someone who knows everything there is to know about football in 2017 and has ideas about where it is going.  If that means hiring a 30 year old who's never been a head coach before I say we roll the dice.  We're not Florida or LSU.  We can't just hire a football coach who knows enough not to screw up a roster full of blue chip recruits.  If we follow their basic recipe they will beat us because they have better talent.  Bielema would probably be successful at schools like that.  We can't be successful by just working harder than our competition.  We have to work smarter than our competition. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: verticalhog on September 12, 2017, 02:08:13 am
Yes, Mike was in Columbus coaching the Sooner defense and then flew out to Pullman to coach the great comeback of Wazzu against Boise State!  Did you see his press conference talking about aliens and such.  Definitely a colorful character (I actually really like the guy but don't want him as the Hogs' coach).  I do believe he's more of an offensive guru than Bobby Petrino (who is tough to beat from that standpoint).  Mike does score better on character than Bobby but let's don't get either one of them.  Go find someone they schooled and roll the dice!

Look again...
Quote from: verticalhog on September 12, 2017, 12:32:07 am
The following article appeared BEFORE Lincoln Riley's Sooners kicked Ohio State's behind in the horseshoe.
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2731672-lincoln-riley-coach-oklahoma-football-interview

Mike Stoops knew what he was doing with the timing of his "retirement" so he could turn over the reins to Riley without going through a coaching search.  He knew what kind of football mind Riley had and was the type of offensive genius that was the future of football (Bobby Petrino on steroids).  He also knew that if hadn't timed it the way he did, Riley would not have been given the job.  If you read the article, you'll see that Riley couldn't make it as a college QB due to an injury in high school but Mike Leach saw something in him and made him his "assistant" (not an assistant coach) at 19 years old.  He studied the game by Leach's side.  Regardless of what you think of Leach as a person or coach, he is, without question, a genius when it comes to offense.  Riley picked his brain but isn't "crazy" like Leach can be.  I think Oklahoma has struck it rich with this guy and he could have the Sooners as a perennial powerhouse for the next 30 years (if football lasts that long).

So, my suggestion is to study every coach who has spent at least two or three years learning from Mike Leach.  Get it down to something like the "top 5" and do a lot of research of those five to find out who is level-headed, a person of character, has a burning desire to win, and understands that there must be a balance between offense and defense.  Go hire that person!  Well, that's my 1.5 cents worth.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hog Fan...DOH!

You guys act like we're in the middle of a coaching search.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Love guys that opine after which coach or coaching tree we should go after then don't even know the basics like the actual coach they are referring to or how to spell the guy's name.  Let's go after Steve Stoops, or Dan Mullins.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.