Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

IF you are a young up and coming HC, why would you come to Arkansas?

Started by hogsanity, November 07, 2017, 09:44:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

KennyForAD

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on November 07, 2017, 05:25:14 pm
Dumb post. You ask why would you take the job THEN throw out reasons someone might consider as to why they might. Have you been isn some of the other towns? I have and  Fayetteville and the area is better than a lot of them. PLUS someone might actually want it because they have been in Arkansas before and liked it. 

Dude, he's laughing at us.

scorekeeper

Somebody has to win and somebody has to lose. I would take any SEC job or P5 head coaching job. Bet on yourself especially when the pay is in the millions. You can always go back down in the ranks.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Lady Razorback

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 07, 2017, 12:34:12 pm
Our fans are not great.  They're crass, mean, and pathetic.  Are other schools' too? Yes. But we don not gove a coach much chance.  That "we give coaches a chance" bull is a flat out absolute lie.

I'm happy BB is almost out.  But our job is not a great job and our fans are not close to great.

I'm so tired of this line of thinking.  Aren't you a fan?  You are on a Razorback message board. 
I think an up and comer comes here because they see this as an opportunity to get into the SEC where you control your own destiny.  Win the division and then Championship game and you are playing for it all.  Yes, I understand that we haven't won that Championship game yet, however these young coaches have a great deal of ego and see a way of winning. 
We lose 3-4 SEC Caliber players a year to Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss.  Keep some of those every year and add recruiting from Texas or area in which they have been coaching in.  From outside the state, Petrino was able to recruit effectively to UA, Ford recruited well to AR, Holtz recruited well, and even Nutt. 
We are not under any sanctions whatsoever.  No APR problems. 
We do have great facilities. I understand that others dismiss this but didn't McElwain complain loudly about FL facilities.
We have a stable athletic department really, outside of football, currently. 
NWA is a fabulous place to live with low cost of living.  It is vastly improved from when I was in school in 80's with Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt and other fast growing companies. 
These are just a few off the top of my head, and I feel certain I could come up with more if given some time. 

DallasHogFan

Because it's infinitely better than Memphis, SMU, or Pullman Washington. It's not a top 15 job in the country but it's a damn good job.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some "Hogville Censored" muscle. -Wooderson

Lady Razorback

And, as follow up to my previous post, as a devoted fan base, we take in our Razorback players post school and support them.  Just ask David Bazzel, Joe Kleine, Clint Stoerner, Bruce James.  Those are loyal and supportive fans. 

Lady Razorback

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 03:07:07 pm
We had that, TWICE, in both Hatfield and HDN and the FANS wanted them both gone. One for being boring and one for being HDN.

I agree with you on the Hatfield case, however you know like everyone on this board that HDN had too much baggage that he had collected over his tenure.  That was a large part of why he moved on, drama in the program, players played with injuries, playing favorites resulting in quality players sitting on the bench, texting his girlfriend immediately preceding bowl game.  These are just a few. 

oldhawg

You say that you can't live in the past, things have changed. John Barnhill's words were pretty prophetic.  Even the young Turks who were not around in those days have higher expectations.

"I floated into his office on cloud nine, ready to be emotional about the pinnacle of success and so forth," Broyles recalled in his memoir Hog Wild. "'Frank,' he said before I could speak, 'you've just screwed up the best job in America.'" Barnhill continued: "'Don't you know you never win all your ball games? Keep 'em hungry. Eight, nine wins a year—you've been perfect. Now that you've done it all, they're gonna expect you to do it all the time.'"

I guess the key phrase is to "keep them hungry," not starve them to death.

elviscat

You take the job because it's in the big boys room and you want a challenge, plus the pay of 4.1 million  dollars. Arkansas, could be a great job if we establish a relationship with the Texas high school coaches. BB, when to Texas at high school coaching clinic and insulted the coaches of the state. Wonder what effect this had on recruiting, a whole lot. His big mouth got him in trouble and he was doomed. Talking trash is not the way to built relationships. Who ever the next coach is, he better re-establish those connection. That is why Mike Norvell is such a great canidiate because he has those connection and is a tireless recruiter. Watch his team play on both sides of the ball and they are fast and very athletic. They play with great enthusiasm. He would be great hire and he would build our program.

KennyForAD

Quote from: Lady Razorback on November 07, 2017, 06:02:04 pm
I'm so tired of this line of thinking.  Aren't you a fan?  You are on a Razorback message board. 
I think an up and comer comes here because they see this as an opportunity to get into the SEC where you control your own destiny.  Win the division and then Championship game and you are playing for it all.  Yes, I understand that we haven't won that Championship game yet, however these young coaches have a great deal of ego and see a way of winning. 
We lose 3-4 SEC Caliber players a year to Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss.  Keep some of those every year and add recruiting from Texas or area in which they have been coaching in.  From outside the state, Petrino was able to recruit effectively to UA, Ford recruited well to AR, Holtz recruited well, and even Nutt. 
We are not under any sanctions whatsoever.  No APR problems. 
We do have great facilities. I understand that others dismiss this but didn't McElwain complain loudly about FL facilities.
We have a stable athletic department really, outside of football, currently. 
NWA is a fabulous place to live with low cost of living.  It is vastly improved from when I was in school in 80's with Wal-Mart, Tyson, J.B. Hunt and other fast growing companies. 
These are just a few off the top of my head, and I feel certain I could come up with more if given some time. 

Doubtful

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Knot2brite on November 07, 2017, 03:52:46 pm
The only reason a up and comer would accept this job is to work his way into a better job. If he could win here and turn around the program to respectable again then he could parlay that into a upper tier job. All that people could hoped for is that the coach finds out that he likes it here and can recruit here and stays. Otherwise, it is 3 to 4 and out the door.

That's simply not true. Can you NAME ONE COACH who was hired away from Arkansas, that we wanted to keep..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

KennyForAD

Quote from: oldhawg on November 07, 2017, 06:55:42 pm
You say that you can't live in the past, things have changed. John Barnhill's words were pretty prophetic.  Even the young Turks who were not around in those days have higher expectations.

"I floated into his office on cloud nine, ready to be emotional about the pinnacle of success and so forth," Broyles recalled in his memoir Hog Wild. "'Frank,' he said before I could speak, 'you've just screwed up the best job in America.'" Barnhill continued: "'Don't you know you never win all your ball games? Keep 'em hungry. Eight, nine wins a year—you've been perfect. Now that you've done it all, they're gonna expect you to do it all the time.'"

I guess the key phrase is to "keep them hungry," not starve them to death.

Poetry

HogFoo

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 09:44:45 am
Think about it. I have just spent 2-5 years building the program I am at now, and I am a hot name in the coaching world. Why, knowing what is readily available about Arkansas - the small recruiting base, the competition in the secw, the average tenure of a coach at AR being about 4.5 years, playing in the sec, plus all the other jobs that may be open, why would I take the AR job?

And please, do not tell me because of the great fans, great facilities, great town, lots of places have all of those things and more.

Try to take your hog glasses off for a minute and look at this from the view of someone thinking about taking the job.
Petrino proved a coach could have great success here.  And had Bielema went about it the same way that Pettrino did, he too could have had similar success.  Bielema should have did like Petrino, and worked to build 1 side of the team 1st.  Focused on either the offense, or the defense.  Got that great, then worked on the other side of the ball.  That's what petrino did, and it worked.  Bielema could have did the same thing, except he wanted to build it all up at the same time, and ya know, he almost did it!  we took a major setback when Pittman left the team and we didn't hire an equally great coach/recruiter to fill his spot.  we hire some turd and thus, we are where we are.   Had Bielema not had some bad luck with a few injuries, he might have still been able to overcome, but it is what it is.

I think a new coach , If he has any confidence in himself, can look at Arkansas and see that he can win here.  its been done before, it can be done again.  I am going to mention our facilities because , nearly every single sport is the tops venue in the nation.  The NWA area is like top 5 in America.  yes, we have  a smaller recruiting base, but, I think a coach can look at what we have currently on the team, and realize that it wouldn't take a lot more to make this team good..  the biggest problem this team has is just it needs better coaching, motivation, etc..  if the new coach focuses on one side of the ball first, I think the guy will have as much success as petrino did.   

anyways, I think a new coach can see the opportunity here.  and will be just fine..  ego wise, they'll be able to compete in the hardest league in college, and know when they win in this league, they have actually accomplished something!  it can be done, it's been done, and it will be done again!  watch and see!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Knot2brite

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on November 07, 2017, 07:35:28 pm
That's simply not true. Can you NAME ONE COACH who was hired away from Arkansas, that we wanted to keep..?
Ok....Holtz would be the closest to that probably...even then he was getting heat .....but so me a favor...name one Coach that by the time his fourth to fifth year wasn't either on the hot seat or about on the hot seat with the braintrust we call a fanbase....don't tell me BP because I was reading on here the grumbling about him when he was going up the country with the blonde
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Dropkick

Quote from: HogFoo on November 07, 2017, 08:25:39 pm
Petrino proved a coach could have great success here.  And had Bielema went about it the same way that Pettrino did, he too could have had similar success.  Bielema should have did like Petrino, and worked to build 1 side of the team 1st.  Focused on either the offense, or the defense.  Got that great, then worked on the other side of the ball.  That's what petrino did, and it worked.  Bielema could have did the same thing, except he wanted to build it all up at the same time, and ya know, he almost did it!  we took a major setback when Pittman left the team and we didn't hire an equally great coach/recruiter to fill his spot.  we hire some turd and thus, we are where we are.   Had Bielema not had some bad luck with a few injuries, he might have still been able to overcome, but it is what it is.

I think a new coach , If he has any confidence in himself, can look at Arkansas and see that he can win here.  its been done before, it can be done again.  I am going to mention our facilities because , nearly every single sport is the tops venue in the nation.  The NWA area is like top 5 in America.  yes, we have  a smaller recruiting base, but, I think a coach can look at what we have currently on the team, and realize that it wouldn't take a lot more to make this team good..  the biggest problem this team has is just it needs better coaching, motivation, etc..  if the new coach focuses on one side of the ball first, I think the guy will have as much success as petrino did.   

anyways, I think a new coach can see the opportunity here.  and will be just fine..  ego wise, they'll be able to compete in the hardest league in college, and know when they win in this league, they have actually accomplished something!  it can be done, it's been done, and it will be done again!  watch and see!
I'll have what he's having!

J/k I hope you are right

Porkchop#1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 10:29:10 am
Some of you get it. It has EVERYTHING to do with the guy taking the job, and very little to do with the job itself.
Says the guy who just don't get it.

gangstaback

Has anyone mentioned the ability to have a cute Volleyball side piece which you can hire onto the athletic department? Are we still doing that for our coaches?

Hogtimes

Quote from: hogsanity on November 07, 2017, 09:44:45 am
Think about it. I have just spent 2-5 years building the program I am at now, and I am a hot name in the coaching world. Why, knowing what is readily available about Arkansas - the small recruiting base, the competition in the secw, the average tenure of a coach at AR being about 4.5 years, playing in the sec, plus all the other jobs that may be open, why would I take the AR job?

And please, do not tell me because of the great fans, great facilities, great town, lots of places have all of those things and more.

Try to take your hog glasses off for a minute and look at this from the view of someone thinking about taking the job.

I probably would not take it, because we eat our own here.  Hogville proves that.

Razorbackers

Quote from: Torqued pork on November 07, 2017, 09:51:28 am
Oh look everyone. Mr. I'm Going to Piss in Your Cheerios Every Chance I Get, has started another thread.

Let's see the guy has anything insightful or original to talk about...

nope.

hogsanity

Quote from: Razorbackers on November 08, 2017, 10:31:21 am
Let's see the guy has anything insightful or original to talk about...

nope.

Look at the top 10 threads in MMQB, nothing but re-hash of topics covered 1000 times. No one has anything original.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Razorbackers

Quote from: hogsanity on November 08, 2017, 10:36:40 am
Look at the top 10 threads in MMQB, nothing but re-hash of topics covered 1000 times. No one has anything original.

I'm going to go for it. Let's see how it plays out.