Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Outfielders arms/defensive skills

Started by dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya, October 11, 2013, 10:14:11 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Why do outfielders not seem to be able to throw anyone out at home plate anymore?

You suffer from "Good ol' days" syndrome.
Players are too fast.
Outfielders are not taught that skill or don't work on it.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I don't remember seeing anybody thrown out at home by an outfielder all of last season other than maybe once or twice, and both plays were ones where the runner was out by a mile - as in they were too slow to be sent in the first place.

It seems as though it rarely happens in MLB also.

Are the players that much faster these days?  Or are outfielders just not taught this skill, or they just don't work on it?

I might be suffering from "Good ol' days" syndrome being a 40-something, but I remember seeing outfielders that were known for throwing guys out all the time at home.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

clutch

It's not something that's common. Never really happened a lot. It's a helluva play when it happens. Always has been, always will. If anything, they guys out there now are throwing the ball harder than ever.

clutch

Quote from: clutch on October 11, 2013, 10:33:00 pm
It's not something that's common. Never really happened a lot. It's a helluva play when it happens. Always has been, always will. If anything, they guys out there now are throwing the ball harder than ever.

I agree, but they just don't seem to be as accurate with their throws to the plate.  Even when a runner was in "scoring position", there often seemed to be a play at the plate.  Now I just expect it to be cut off or way off line.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

clutch

LOL and Beltran just tried to disprove my theory!!!

I'll take it!!!

clutch

Odd how you brought this up and the play of the game ends up being a throw from RF lol.

Quote from: clutch on October 11, 2013, 11:07:38 pm
Odd how you brought this up and the play of the game ends up being a throw from RF lol.

Yep - if it works, it's not superstition.

Although it was Beltran and Molina...kind of exceptions to the rule.  BUT not only was it a strike, he called off Jay who I don't think makes that play.

dacskc

Now make a thread about why the Cards can't hit walk off homers anymore. :)

clutch

Quote from: dacskc on October 11, 2013, 11:16:08 pm
Now make a thread about why the Cards can't hit walk off homers anymore. :)

Hell I'll take a walk off wild pitch. Just score and close this thing out!

Ray Piggers

I'm basically Darkwing Duck