Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The first suspension from the Biogenesis Case is...

Started by ucahogfan, July 22, 2013, 04:50:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ucahogfan

MLB ‏@MLB  11m 
BREAKING: Ryan Braun suspended without pay for remainder of 2013 season for violations of Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.

Baseball Tonight ‏@BBTN  3m 
BREAKING: @Brewers OF Ryan Braun suspended for remainder of season (65 games) for violations of @MLB drug program; he will not appeal.

MLB ‏@MLB  11m 
"I realize now that I have made some mistakes. I am willing to accept the consequences of those actions." - Ryan Braun.

MLB ‏@MLB  10m 
"I wish to apologize to ... all of the baseball fans especially those in Milwaukee, the great Brewers organization, and my teammates."-Braun

clutch

And the MLB is smiling. They wanted this one BAD.

McKdaddy

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

I hope his next apology will be going to the collector he smeared last time he was threatened with suspension.
ched come back pls

dhornjr1

Quote from: HogsnCards on July 22, 2013, 05:03:41 pm
I hope his next apology will be going to the collector he smeared last time he was threatened with suspension.

+1

McKdaddy

Do it, Ryan Fraud.

clutch

That is my only issue with these things. I don't really care that the guys use. I know the majority of them are. In all honesty it does make the game more exciting from a viewers standpoint. I don't blame them a bit either. Using could mean the difference in making 10s of millions of dollars. I'd do it in a heart beat for that kind of cash.

However, they all seem to smear innocent people in their path to clear their name. Just take your medicine, accept your punishment, and move on. I hate seeing that. None of this would bother me if they didn't have to take down everyone else with them. Your reputation is ruined no matter what. Nobody is going to believe you really were innocent. Quit blaming others for your mistakes.

McKdaddy

Quote from: clutch on July 22, 2013, 08:39:37 pm

.... they all seem to smear innocent people in their path to clear their name. Just take your medicine, accept your punishment, and move on. I hate seeing that. None of this would bother me if they didn't have to take down everyone else with them. Your reputation is ruined no matter what. Nobody is going to believe you really were innocent. Quit blaming others for your mistakes.

Agreed

ucahogfan

A couple of things:

-  Braun accepted the suspension without a positive test.  Bosch must have had a lot of valid info on him for this to happen.

-  This validates Bosch and allows the MLB to levy suspensions on the remainder of the list.  I would expect contenders like Oakland with Colon and Texas with Cruz will appeal and try to put off the suspensions until 2014.

-  Word is that Bosch has much more info about A-Rod than he did with Braun.  Expect A-Rod to get a massive suspension in the near future.  The Yankees would love it as it might give them a chance to nullify his contract or at least save over 10 million during his suspension period.

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 23, 2013, 03:47:09 pm
A couple of things:

-  Braun accepted the suspension without a positive test.  Bosch must have had a lot of valid info on him for this to happen.

-  This validates Bosch and allows the MLB to levy suspensions on the remainder of the list.  I would expect contenders like Oakland with Colon and Texas with Cruz will appeal and try to put off the suspensions until 2014.

-  Word is that Bosch has much more info about A-Rod than he did with Braun.  Expect A-Rod to get a massive suspension in the near future.  The Yankees would love it as it might give them a chance to nullify his contract or at least save over 10 million during his suspension period.

Don't you know all those other players are pissed for him validating Bosh like that. They must have had some rock solid stuff on him though to get him to completely 180.

Apparently Arod's name is all over everything at that clinic. I'm guessing the only way the Yankee's can recoup any money is the money they save during his suspension because it would be without pay. So I'm guessing if he were banned for good then maybe they could keep everything?? Not sure how that would work since the contracts are guaranteed and PED used isn't grounds for the organizations to break them.

ucahogfan

Quote from: clutch on July 23, 2013, 04:32:21 pm
Don't you know all those other players are pissed for him validating Bosh like that. They must have had some rock solid stuff on him though to get him to completely 180.

Apparently Arod's name is all over everything at that clinic. I'm guessing the only way the Yankee's can recoup any money is the money they save during his suspension because it would be without pay. So I'm guessing if he were banned for good then maybe they could keep everything?? Not sure how that would work since the contracts are guaranteed and PED used isn't grounds for the organizations to break them.
Without a doubt, the entire list of players linked to Bosch have to be pissed.  Depending on suspensions (don't think most of them will get 65 games like Braun), it will cost them a lot of money.

I think A-Roid gets at least 100 games which means the Yankees would save about 20 million from his contract.  Selig and the MLB have wanted to get him after he admitted to using in Texas and this is their chance much like with Braun.

And don't you know Aaron Rodgers also has to be pissed.  He bet his salary for the year (3.5 million in 2013) against some guy in 2012 that Braun was clean.  Now, who knows if he will pay up, it is just funny that he did that.

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 23, 2013, 04:51:09 pm
Without a doubt, the entire list of players linked to Bosch have to be pissed.  Depending on suspensions (don't think most of them will get 65 games like Braun), it will cost them a lot of money.

I think A-Roid gets at least 100 games which means the Yankees would save about 20 million from his contract.  Selig and the MLB have wanted to get him after he admitted to using in Texas and this is their chance much like with Braun.

And don't you know Aaron Rodgers also has to be pissed.  He bet his salary for the year (3.5 million in 2013) against some guy in 2012 that Braun was clean.  Now, who knows if he will pay up, it is just funny that he did that.

Definitely funny about Rodgers. I saw that too. I'm sure he will crawfish on that bet also. He didn't even follow through with a bet he had with someone to where he would have had to wear a 49ers jersey. If I was that guy, I'd be at least letting him know I didn't forget about the bet though.

Ray Piggers

I was wrong. I thought Braun would appeal for sure.

Rumor has it A-Roid is facing a lifetime ban.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

clutch

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on July 24, 2013, 05:37:19 am
I was wrong. I thought Braun would appeal for sure.

Really good evidence against you, plus reduced sentence, plus being on a really bad team equals no appeal. Smart move by Braun.

ARod's goose is cooked. Apparently he opened up a whole new box of worms today. He went and got a 2nd opinion on his quad strain........ wait for it....... from a Dr. who was under investigation as recently as Feb. 2013. Not a smart move. However, I think he realizes that he is done. He is trying to get back in a Yankee uniform, claim injury, and retire before they kick him out.

ucahogfan

Quote from: TaylorAlderson on July 24, 2013, 05:37:19 am
A new rumor is that the earliest A-Rod can play is 2015 (suspended until then) if he takes the deal.  If not, he could face a life time ban.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/report-rod-could-banned-life-turns-down-mlb-204052447.html

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 29, 2013, 04:53:54 pm
A new rumor is that the earliest A-Rod can play is 2015 (suspended until then) if he takes the deal.  If not, he could face a life time ban.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/report-rod-could-banned-life-turns-down-mlb-204052447.html

Yep,  sounds like they are wanting to pop him for the remainder of this season and all of next. If he appeals, they will go for lifetime. If he accepts, he could still recoup $61M of his salary. If he's banned, he will only receive what he makes until the appeal process is final.

Heard an interesting idea earlier today. Dan Patrick was suggesting he take the deal and head to Japan for a year and make about $10M. Of course, since he's under contract with the Yankees I'm not sure if they would allow it. It seems that it would be in their best interest though if he is bound and determined to come back. Might as well have him in a halfway decent playing shape instead of coming off of 2 years of no baseball.

This has to make you wonder if teams will start getting smart and avoiding these massive contracts now. Every one you see looks like a bad deal now. ARod, Pujols looks horrible and is still owed over $200M, Hamilton looks bad, etc., etc.. Heck, even the Kemp deal is looking shaky right now even though I expect him to turn it around next season. It's like as soon as these guys get paid the wheels fall off.

Ray Piggers

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 29, 2013, 04:53:54 pm

At which time he'll be 40 years old. Say he makes it back before they suspend him THIS season. Could he retire, and recieve the money owed to him, or does he forfeit that contract by retiring?

This is from an hour ago.. Doesn't look like he's going down without a fight.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9519782/alex-rodriguez-lawyer-says-fight-discipline-mlb
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

Sueie

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on July 29, 2013, 07:05:35 pm
Yep,  sounds like they are wanting to pop him for the remainder of this season and all of next. If he appeals, they will go for lifetime. If he accepts, he could still recoup $61M of his salary. If he's banned, he will only receive what he makes until the appeal process is final.

Allegedly, Rodriguez's net worth is $300 million.

I guess he figures he doesn't need any more of that $61 million. So, he will fight this, get a lifetime ban, and go down in a blaze of ignominy like the jagoff he is.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 29, 2013, 10:40:48 pm
Allegedly, Rodriguez's net worth is $300 million.

I guess he figures he doesn't need any more of that $61 million. So, he will fight this, get a lifetime ban, and go down in a blaze of ignominy like the jagoff he is.

I think you've got it wrong. I think he's fighting it so that he can try to get his $114M instead of $61M. I'm almost certain that if it wasn't for the potential $114M, he would have retired a month ago. I really don't think he has any interest in playing anymore. He knows the HOF is gone, his reputation it gone, the Yankee fans don't like him so he's not doing it for them, so all that is left is the money.

dhornjr1

Quote from: clutch on July 30, 2013, 02:53:09 pm
I think you've got it wrong. I think he's fighting it so that he can try to get his $114M instead of $61M. I'm almost certain that if it wasn't for the potential $114M, he would have retired a month ago. I really don't think he has any interest in playing anymore. He knows the HOF is gone, his reputation it gone, the Yankee fans don't like him so he's not doing it for them, so all that is left is the money.

Is there something I'm missing here?

It was my understanding that if he accepts the deal and is suspended until 2015, he could get $61 million of his remaining contract. And if he fights it and loses, which he will if you believe the reports, he will receive a lifetime ban and forfeit all the money still owed him.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 30, 2013, 06:32:43 pm
Is there something I'm missing here?

It was my understanding that if he accepts the deal and is suspended until 2015, he could get $61 million of his remaining contract. And if he fights it and loses, which he will if you believe the reports, he will receive a lifetime ban and forfeit all the money still owed him.

You are correct, but I think his whole reason of fighting it is that if he wins he gets the full contract, all $114M. Very unlikely it seems, but if he is willing to fight and risk forfeiting all of it his lawyers must at least think there is a chance.

I'm wondering if he were to retire due to medical reasons during his appeal if the insurance company would be forced to pay. If so, expect that to happen. 

dhornjr1

What was it George Costanza said? "It's not a lie if you believe it."

That's Alex Rodriguez.

clutch

Quote from: dhornjr1 on July 30, 2013, 07:31:50 pm
What was it George Costanza said? "It's not a lie if you believe it."

That's Alex Rodriguez.

I just think he is honestly arrogant enough that he thinks he will win his appeal. Who knows, he may be right. Must be nice to be in a position to where you could forfeit $61M if you lose though.

clutch

Heard some interesting stuff on this today. Apparently Selig is trying to ban ARod under the player conduct clause. This tells me that he probably didn't have enough evidence to ban him through the biogenisis stuff alone. Maybe clearing some things up as to why ARod decided to fight this. He may just have a case after all.

I guess technically he has never failed a drug test. He admitted to using before, but never failed a test. Maybe that is why they are thinking it would be tough to ban him for PED use.

clutch

On a non ARod note, a lot of the players that were apparently wrapped up in this mess have actually already served suspensions for the drugs they got from biogenesis, so it sounds like there won't be near as many suspensions as they were originally saying. Definitely not the 20 something they were predicting. Looking more like 9-10. I think both Bartolo Colon and Melky Cabrera are in the clear and won't be serving any more suspensions.

Sueie

Quote from: ucahogfan on July 31, 2013, 09:32:14 pm
Now it appears that A-Rod's camp might be willing to settle to avoid a potential life time ban.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9526910/alex-rodriguez-representatives-negotiating-possible-settlement-lengthy-suspension-according-source

I would tell him that his contract is now VOID and he needs to "negotiate" another one. I don't really care HOW they get rid of him as long as they do it.
I think it should be a mandatory clause in EVERY contract from now on.  ONE time and you are history and the contract becomes VOID.  Then you would stop all the cheating.