Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Formatted External Hard Drive

Started by JIMMY BOARFFETT, August 28, 2015, 10:11:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JIMMY BOARFFETT

So, several years ago, I inadvertently formatted (maybe partially) an external hard drive.  I tried to use a recovery program back then (about 2006) but it was super slow (it was taking days).  I ran across the hard drive the other day and and took it to the BestBuy Geek Squad, but they say they aren't able to recover files in this situation.  So, I was wondering, is there a decent program out there that might help me recover the information?  I'm mostly interested in the pictures on there, i.e., jpeg files.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Doug

If Geek Squad wasn't able to recover it, then chances are high that the data is simply just not recoverable... they have access to and use some of the best programs around. The only other chance that you might have is going to carry at least a $1K - $5K pricetag, with no guarantee that it'll work. These are by companies that do nothing but try to recover data.

Chalk it up as a lost cause.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

JIMMY BOARFFETT

Quote from: Doug on August 28, 2015, 10:41:38 am
If Geek Squad wasn't able to recover it, then chances are high that the data is simply just not recoverable... they have access to and use some of the best programs around. The only other chance that you might have is going to carry at least a $1K - $5K pricetag, with no guarantee that it'll work. These are by companies that do nothing but try to recover data.

Chalk it up as a lost cause.

Well, Doug, the Geek Squad guy said they didn't have the capability.  This was before even trying.   So, I was a little confused by that.  He told me about the other companies but I was hoping to find some software I could use at home.

Probably is a lost cause.
My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.

Ragnar Hogbrok

Tell the FBI that Hillary sent you some classified emails and you have them stored on that hard drive. They'll recover it for you.
"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

TomasPistola

Doug's right on this one. There's software available out there but many are worthless. The hard drive recovery companies out there will charge you a ridiculous sum to do it.
Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

Doug

Quote from: The ChiefTell the FBI that Hillary sent you some classified emails and you have them stored on that hard drive. They'll recover it for you.
Bahahaha!

Jimmy, keep in mind that I've dealt with server hardware, in some fashion, since 2000. Failed harddrives and data recovery come up frequently... this is why both Tomas and I are trying to tell you that unless you're willing to fork over a handsome sum of money for a "maybe", it may be best to just let it go. :(
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)