Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When Barford and Macon are cold

Started by Wooderson, November 13, 2017, 09:29:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Wooderson

What do y'all envision happening when our two studs struggle?  Will we ride Jones and Gafford for points?  Anyone else on the roster capable of scoring consistently?
Give me liberty, or give me death!

hawgsalot

Quote from: Wooderson on November 13, 2017, 09:29:49 am
What do y'all envision happening when our two studs struggle?  Will we ride Jones and Gafford for points?  Anyone else on the roster capable of scoring consistently?

If you haven't noticed this team takes a ton of shots inside the lane by driving to the basket.  I personally don't see this as an issue that some are trying to make it, I think it's our strength.  We're fairly big with athletes everywhere on the court.  This team can drive, dish and rebound with the best of them right now.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Wooderson on November 13, 2017, 09:29:49 am

That's what I'm anxious to see most of all. The good thing is that Macon and Barford can both beat people off the dribble and finish at the room. Also, we will have to really force the tempo and defensive pressure to get easy baskets.

I'm interested to see the offensive movement when we're on the road and can't make anything from the perimeter. Will we still have good movement and create high percentage shots or will we revert to 1 on 1 ball?

BannerMountainMan

Beard and Thompson can generate drives to the basket and good vision..we will always have somebody..Jones and Bailey can drive also
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

The_Iceman

CJ Jones. I dont want Beard to ever think he should be the main scorer on the floor. He is best when playing his role.

Letsroll1200

Will score with defense. If Barford and Macon are off it's going to be tough to generate points. CJ Jones will hopefully become more assertive and confident by Jan.

Big Nasty 34

Also, how will we respond the first time on the road when we can't hit the broadside of the barn and the ref's call a foul every time we look at someone? We know there will be some of those games, especially away from the Bud. Referees have let us play for the most part and our Defense has excelled, but that will not be the case on the road a lot of times.

poloprince

When Barford and Macon are cold they will just attack the basket and get to the freethrow line. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

FATHAWG08

No worries.They will drive to the basket draw fouls & get to the line. These two should be able to score in many different ways. Now if they were a spot up shooter I would be concern.
I love off season Football!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: poloprince on November 13, 2017, 10:25:57 am
When Barford and Macon are cold they will just attack the basket and get to the freethrow line.
Which is the universal cure for the common cold spell!

Hogs49ers

I really do not see this being too big of an issue, because I feel like even if they both struggle on certain night they would still put up 10-12 pts each, like that would be a bad game for them.  We have enough scoring from everyone else on our roster to still put up 75-80ish points when they have a bad night.
SCREW Vandy!

BRHogfan

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 10:16:16 am
CJ Jones. I dont want Beard to ever think he should be the main scorer on the floor. He is best when playing his role.

He seems so much more comfortable this year.  Last year I think he kind of felt like he needed to step up and be the man.  Now he knows it's definitely on Barford and Macon.  He is playing like Manny Watkins but with better scoring upside.  At some point, he's going to miss a questionable decision three, but he's also going to make some of those. 

cableguy

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 10:16:16 am
Beard played one of his best games last night.  You are right he needs to play his role. CJ Jones is playing good.  If he learns how to drive to the goal with the balll in his hand as well as he cuts to the basket without the ball, this team will be special.     

swinesation

What does any team at any level do when their top two scorers struggle? They struggle, maybe lose. We will live or die this season according to how well Barford and Macon perform.

Having said that, I agree with other posters who have pointed out that Macon and Barford are not spot-up shooters. They can drive to hole, create shots, get to the line. We're in good hands with those two.

bville_hog

yeah, i am worried though when they start calling everything a foul.  If either gets in foul trouble, or just a lot of fouls in general, will have to see how we play.

phadedhawg

For Gafford to be effective he's gotta stay on the floor.  The only problem I see thru the first 2 games is his inability to stay out of foul trouble.  He's a dynamic player and I think we will need his minutes especially if Macon or Barford aren't on the floor.

The_Iceman

To be clear, I love the way Beard is playing this year. He just needs to stick to his role. CJ has the scoring ability to take over a game with his jump shot.

40MINSOFHELL

If we continue to drive to the lane, this will hardly be an issue.

dhizzle

If they are not shooting well, they can always play really good defense to generate points. They just have to want to play defense.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: phadedhawg on November 13, 2017, 11:19:21 am
For Gafford to be effective he's gotta stay on the floor.  The only problem I see thru the first 2 games is his inability to stay out of foul trouble.  He's a dynamic player and I think we will need his minutes especially if Macon or Barford aren't on the floor.

That's why it's so important to get Thomas and Cook back. Gafford just needs to be able to give us 20 minutes of bounce and energy off the bench a night.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on November 13, 2017, 11:45:19 am
To be clear, I love the way Beard is playing this year. He just needs to stick to his role. CJ has the scoring ability to take over a game with his jump shot.

I'm glad that Beard is not trying to be a undersized 2 guard.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

i just don't think both will be cold at the same time very often if at all.  Winning on the road is always the best test, but that is what SR guards generally do.  They appear to have a very real chip on their shoulders and the skill to back it up.

jabber71

In the Bucknell game they had 4 players in double figures, in the game with Samford they had 6 in double digits. I don't think points will be the problem with this team.

You can't always convince someone you are right, but you can always convince them you think you're right!

AWHAWG

lynbug

Didn't get to stream the game, had to listen on the radio...was taking care of my mom.....but it sounded like Beard and Gafford were working well together.

Exit Pursued by a Boar

I'd like to rephrase the OPs question: Do we have a go-to 3pt shooter? If not on par with Dillard/Bradley, somewhere close?

EFBAB

FineAsSwine

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on November 19, 2017, 01:16:14 pm
I'd like to rephrase the OPs question: Do we have a go-to 3pt shooter? If not on par with Dillard/Bradley, somewhere close?

EFBAB

We don't have an elite volume score from Deep like Dillard right now maybe CJ Jones could be that guy but he hasn't developed into a consistent volume long-range shooter yet. I think he could be instant offense like Dillard though with the added bonus of having a mid-range game.
Hogs up! Covid down!

niels_boar

Well, every team is vulnerable when the top-two scorers are having off games.  Macon didn't really have a Macon day against Fresno, largely due to the Fresno defense keying on him.  Beard and Gafford were able to pick up the slack on this night and make them pay.  Barford was not exactly en fuego for him either. He shot under 50%.  We still scored a healthy 1.13 points per possession.  Also, I was pleased that on a night in which the shots weren't raining down that we managed to grind out a 31-11 run against a good offensive team after falling down 6-0 to start the game.  Good defense can take a lot of pressure off the offense.  Bad defense makes the offense look worse than it is.

However, they need to start chugging some Red Bulls at half. In the last two games they haven't been able to get a stop to start the second half.  That will catch up to us eventually. Otherwise, the defense has been quite good in the first three games and a pleasant surprise. 

As for other scorers, I expect Jones to bust out with a huge game one of these days. The return of Thomas should help.  He's probably our best shooting forward.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

nwahogfan1

I also want to know how this reacts when teams put their best defensive men on Barford and Macon?  NC and OKLA and many teams in the SEC having athletic defensive guards and we have to find other scorers.  Or with Macon or Barford are not on their game who steps up.  We will see going forward. 

Tom Crean who coached Indiana for a few years and is now on ESPN said it best when he said if you want to win games against good teams you have to learn to win many different ways.  We will find out more about ourselves when we play Okla and NC and get into the SEC. 

razorback1829

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on November 19, 2017, 04:11:06 pm
I also want to know how this reacts when teams put their best defensive men on Barford and Macon?  NC and OKLA and many teams in the SEC having athletic defensive guards and we have to find other scorers.  Or with Macon or Barford are not on their game who steps up.  We will see going forward. 

Tom Crean who coached Indiana for a few years and is now on ESPN said it best when he said if you want to win games against good teams you have to learn to win many different ways.  We will find out more about ourselves when we play Okla and NC and get into the SEC.

I simply don't think anybody can guard Barford one in one. Same with Macon. It'll take a team effort for these teams.