Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Did the refs spend the rest of the day making up for the blown Mond touchdown?

Started by Mo_Better_Hogs, September 23, 2017, 04:50:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_Better_Hogs

Just curious what you guys thought.

The pass interference at the end--I never saw a close-up, just the one shot from the endzone looking back up the field. There's always grabbing, holding, handchecking, everywhere, all the time. Did Curl have enough jersey to prevent the receiver to make a break? Because the ball bounced at his feet. Is "uncatchable" only applied to balls thrown 10 feet over the receiver's head?

There were some others, but nothing stood out like that PI call. Also, I know this. Not everyone gets that call at that point in the game, with a pass like that. That's a fact.

Spikes

You only have one life, so you better enjoy it!

jst01

Regardless, the refs took away a td from them, and they still beat us. We had every chance they did

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Spikes on September 23, 2017, 04:51:26 pm
He held him for about 5 yards.. It was holding and the correct call.

OK, I just never saw it clearly enough. A little touch, grab is one thing, holding a guy on his entire route is another. That was certainly unfortunate.

jfred59

Penalties are different...PI is 15 yards or half the distance, holding is 5 yards.  Wasnt much of a difference for where they were on the field but it is different.

dh027

What about the potential targeting call that was erased?  The way it was originally called was personal foul - targeting.  It was reviewed to see if it was ejection-worthy, then it was overturned entirely.  I think that was more objectionable that the holding.

TrueBlue

Andrew Hogfan

WPS!!!

jfred59

Quote from: dh027 on September 23, 2017, 04:58:47 pm
What about the potential targeting call that was erased?  The way it was originally called was personal foul - targeting.  It was reviewed to see if it was ejection-worthy, then it was overturned entirely.  I think that was more objectionable that the holding.

Since we scored right after that, it was kind of a backburner thing but you are correct..the review was for targeting but then to take away the penalty completely...

jfred59

Another thing, they not tried to make it up but it is strange that the Aggies had no penalties in the second half.   

Tejano Jawg

So much for the idea of "letting the players on the field decide the game."

I totally agree that some other teams don't get flagged right there. Teams with great Ds get away with things. On that play, a ref might have conveniently not been looking that direction. I will say too, I never saw it well enough, so I don't question that specific call as much as I do the idea that refs make calls, partly, when they want to. And they let things go when they want to.

Without question, Mond's run was a blown call. But not one like we are typically on the wrong end of—where a ref gets caught up in the other team's momentum, home field or high ranking. It was just a mistake. Think there was a jersey grabbed on Kirk's TD run?...probably.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Arkansas Fan

hog.goblin

No problem with the officiating today.  A few missed calls that worked out in our favor overall.

PossumFan

I thought the PI was a bad call. There used to be such a thing as incidental contact, which is what that looked like to me. You think they'd have called that against Bama and incurred the wrath of Saban?

I also thought reversing the targeting call was bogus. It was clearly head-to-head _ you could hear the distinctive sound of the helmets colliding as well as see it _ and it was a defenseless receiver.

007 License To Squeal

The only call that absolutely cost a team points was the A&M QB run......absolutely no excuse for that call which cost them 4 points........

Other than that, it seemed pretty even to me.
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Youngsta71701

Except he wasn't called for holding he was called for pass interference which was the wrong call. The ball was uncatchable.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

apcapri

Youngsta71701

PORKULATOR

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 23, 2017, 05:32:15 pm
The refs missed a holding call on that long Mond run.
and the 9 yard run before the Ford t'd. Tackled Cap from behind... Got away with itand liked it so much, he did something similar to ON said Ford t'd run.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Youngsta71701

sickboy

The refs let a lot of junk go on both sides. Then they'd call the same junk just as quick. They just didn't call a consistent game. And they flat out blew the call where A&M should have scored on the Mond run. You're an SEC official and you're standing two feet from the play and you blew that call?

I'm not one to complain about refs influencing a game. And I'll continue to not be. The refs didn't have a huge outcome on this game. They could have, had Arkansas won in regulation by that margin -- but it ended up not being a factor. I'll just say that the sucked as refs.

jfred59

Quote from: PossumFan on September 23, 2017, 05:55:25 pm
I thought the PI was a bad call. There used to be such a thing as incidental contact, which is what that looked like to me. You think they'd have called that against Bama and incurred the wrath of Saban?

I also thought reversing the targeting call was bogus. It was clearly head-to-head _ you could hear the distinctive sound of the helmets colliding as well as see it _ and it was a defenseless receiver.

The clowns were supposed to be reviewing for Targeting to see if he should be ejected or not.  They decided to do away with any penalty.  Wonder what kind of instructions they got in those little headsets?  Always suspicious of those things and how much contact they have with the conference office in them.

b_stackhouse

Quote from: jfred59 on September 23, 2017, 04:54:21 pm
Penalties are different...PI is 15 yards or half the distance, holding is 5 yards.  Wasnt much of a difference for where they were on the field but it is different.

I agree it should've been called holding instead of PI. But holding in college is 10 yards and an automatic 1st down. It is only a 5 yard penalty in the NFL with an automatic 1st down.

forrest city joe

Yep.refs had nothing to do with this loss.we have ourselves to blame.did not play or coach good enough.PERIOD!

IronHog

Quote from: Mo_Better_Hogs on September 23, 2017, 04:50:04 pm
Just curious what you guys thought.

The pass interference at the end--I never saw a close-up, just the one shot from the endzone looking back up the field. There's always grabbing, holding, handchecking, everywhere, all the time. Did Curl have enough jersey to prevent the receiver to make a break? Because the ball bounced at his feet. Is "uncatchable" only applied to balls thrown 10 feet over the receiver's head?

There were some others, but nothing stood out like that PI call. Also, I know this. Not everyone gets that call at that point in the game, with a pass like that. That's a fact.

It was routine holding.  Not PI

BS call
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

311Hog

The Mond run was a total failure on the refs part.

The targeting call being totally reversed was also a fail

the Holding call on Curl i can actually see he did grab the jersey though he did nothing with it and the ball was short hopped

There was no PI called on OGrady on the Watts INT and there should have been No. 25 for A&M had his left hand/arm in a lock so he could only reach out with his right when Watts jumped infront of him.

It did seem like the refs were trying to make up for the Mond mistake for the rest of the game.

holeinthewall

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 23, 2017, 05:32:15 pm
The refs missed a holding call on that long Mond run.

The refs could call holding on every play.  I would bet if every play was analyzed in its entirety by player there could be a penalty on almost every play.

jbcarol

Quote from: holeinthewall on September 26, 2017, 06:29:54 am
The refs could call holding on every play.  I would bet if every play was analyzed in its entirety by player there could be a penalty on almost every play.

Not Jerry Tipton‏ @NotJerryTipton Sep 24

Both of these plays resulted in Florida touchdowns. Holding was not called on either of them. 🤔

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net