Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How high can USF go?

Started by NuttinItUp, October 21, 2017, 11:35:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Ranked #16 in the last poll, won today and up to 7-0.  Likely in the top 15 in the next poll.

How high can they climb if they keep winning? Top 10 no doubt. They will likely get the top Group of 5 (non-Power 5) slot in the NY6 bowls if they keep winning. Can they be the first non-Power 5 school in the playoffs if they keep winning? (Doubtful unless they get some help.)

Charlie Strong has won at Louisville and proved he still has the magic. (Texas has a lot of outside-football politics that stifled him.) Someone else will snag him if we don't.

NorthDallas40

You must mean UCF who will be ranked higher than usf and best them on the same day and time as we lose to Missouri. If Arkansas administration was savvy and smart, which they are not, they'd be after UCF's coach Scott Frost and not Charlie Strong who somehow failed at UT where you could have won just as many games.

hogsanity

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on October 21, 2017, 11:57:05 pm
You must mean UCF who will be ranked higher than usf and best them on the same day and time as we lose to Missouri. If Arkansas administration was savvy and smart, which they are not, they'd be after UCF's coach Scott Frost and not Charlie Strong who somehow failed at UT where you could have won just as many games.

whats funny about that is our fans want Norvell from Memphis, who's team got drilled by Frosts team, yet not many of our fans even mention Frost.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2017, 11:58:46 pm
whats funny about that is our fans want Norvell from Memphis, who's team got drilled by Frosts team, yet not many of our fans even mention Frost.
because he's going to nebraska.

Our new coach is up 21-0 right now.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hogsanity

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 22, 2017, 12:02:03 am

That is not why they do not mention Frost, his offense is not "exciting" enough for them.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogblitz

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on October 22, 2017, 12:02:03 am

Why is it that you are so convinced it is Leach?

Atlhogfan1

Frost can do better than Nebraska if he really wants to be a successful head coach at a P5 program. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Ironhawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on October 21, 2017, 11:35:24 pm
Ranked #16 in the last poll, won today and up to 7-0.  Likely in the top 15 in the next poll.

How high can they climb if they keep winning? Top 10 no doubt. They will likely get the top Group of 5 (non-Power 5) slot in the NY6 bowls if they keep winning. Can they be the first non-Power 5 school in the playoffs if they keep winning? (Doubtful unless they get some help.)

Charlie Strong has won at Louisville and proved he still has the magic. (Texas has a lot of outside-football politics that stifled him.) Someone else will snag him if we don't.

Why do you think Strong is a good fit for Arkansas?

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 22, 2017, 12:14:00 am
Frost can do better than Nebraska if he really wants to be a successful head coach at a P5 program. 

They think thats where he is going because he played there. Some guys realize though that going home is not always a good move,

ChicoHog

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2017, 11:58:46 pm
I would take Frost over Norvell.  I would take just about anyone over Mike Leach.  If you think our recruiting is bad now just wait until Leach takes over.  We will be least talented team in the league by far. 

hogsanity

Quote from: ChicoHog on October 22, 2017, 12:22:32 am
I would take Frost over Norvell.  I would take just about anyone over Mike Leach.  If you think our recruiting is bad now just wait until Leach takes over.  We will be least talented team in the league by far. 

Agree on all counts.

As far as the OP, USF could go undefeated but they are sloppy at times and almost puked up a huge lead to Tulane today. I think UCF beats them, but thats by far the toughest game they have left.

jkstock04

About s homeristic of a post as posts can get. I predicted as such in the preseason we would see this exact thing on here. Congrats on being the torch bearer for this campaign.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Dwight_K_Shrute

Charlie Strong very good coach but he's 57. I'm ready for young and hungry with something to prove. Win or lose Arkansas would definitely be Charlie Strong's last stop.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

husker71

explain can do better than Nebraska if he wants a P5 job and name the job please

ChicoHog

Quote from: husker71 on October 22, 2017, 01:39:04 am
explain can do better than Nebraska if he wants a P5 job and name the job please

I did not write the post but I think Tennessee is probably the best job that will be open.  Tradition, facilities, 100K fans every game, recruiting area which is getting even better with all the migration to middle Tennessee and the East division is up for grabs with the possible exception of UGA.  Everyone else is mediocre at best. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hogsanity on October 22, 2017, 12:04:34 am
That is not why they do not mention Frost, his offense is not "exciting" enough for them.

Actually he is mentioned a lot, but many are saying he is going to Nebraska.  So others don't even bother putting him on their list.  Fans want wins. Many do not care how those wins come. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

husker71

Not sure where the Tenner football tradition is compared to Nebraska, Nebraska has sold out every game since JFK was president and facilities are at least even (Nebraska for years has had the best weight program ever since Boyd Eppley got there years ago) recruiting area maybe a + for the Vols but for years Nebraska recruited Texas and Florida and the east coast successfully.  It is and always be the AD and who he selects as coach.  Nebraska got a AD who wanted Bill Callahan and that was a terrible fail  the Osborne brought in Pellini and they won games but he was such a jerk nobody could take it.  So they go the opposite direction and hire a .500 coach who is described by most as "the nicest guy you will ever meet"  and this is a disaster.  It all comes down to the AD finding the right HC. 

riccoar

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on October 22, 2017, 01:00:14 am
Charlie Strong very good coach but he's 57. I'm ready for young and hungry with something to prove. Win or lose Arkansas would definitely be Charlie Strong's last stop.
Strong is not HC material.  Any coach with even mediocre talent should be able to at least average 9 wins at Texas.  Way too much talent within it's own borders to ever be subpar.  If you can't take a top 10 recruiting class and finish at least .500?  No, Thanks.

HardingHog

Well, as far as tough games, they have Houston this week and UCF in their season finale. The USF/UCF game should be a good one especially if both teams keep winning.
Even if USF goes undefeated, I don't think they'll be in the playoff. To get in a G5 team would have to knock off a highly rated P5 team (that remains highly rated throughout the season) and go undefeated.
They'll end up being top 10, maybe top 6. Then be the G5 representative in a New Year's bowl