Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

James Shibest

Started by Donny2665, December 04, 2017, 04:08:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Donny2665

Arkansas Alumni, If we are going to throw some names out there. 8)

Regarded as one of the nation's top special teams coaches, enters his first season serving as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Virginia Tech.
Joins the Hokies after working with current Tech head coach Justin Fuente the past four seasons at Memphis.
Brings 25 years of coaching experience with him to Blacksburg, which includes 12 seasons working as a special teams coach in the Southeastern Conference at both Ole Miss and Arkansas.
His special teams units at Memphis were among the nation's finest the past two seasons. His 2015 squad ranked seventh in the country in overall special teams efficiency via Football Outsiders, while his 2014 unit was the best in the FBS according to ESPN.
Helped Memphis register 19 victories during the 2014-15 seasons, including a 15-game victory streak that was highlighted by a 37-24 win over No. 13 Mississippi and a 55-48 double-OT victory in the 2014 Miami Beach Bowl against BYU.
Memphis kicker Jake Elliott was named the American Athletic Conference's Special Teams Player of the Year Award with in both 2014 and 2015.
Elliott was one of three finalists for the Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker in 2015. Memphis was the only collegiate program to have a semifinalist for both the Ray Guy Award and the Lou Groza Award in 2014.
A three-time Groza Award semifinalist, Elliott connected on 76.9 percent (60 of 78) of his FGs the past three seasons under Shibest with eight makes from 50 or more yards, including a school-record 56-yard FG at South Florida (11/16/13).
Elliott established Memphis records in 2015 with 23 made field goals and 132 points. He connected on 82.1 percent (23 of 28) FGs and nailed all 63 of his PATs.
Special teams coverage units coached by Shibest haven't allowed a kick return or punt return TD over the past five seasons. His squads ranked among the nation's top 10 in net kickoff coverage three of the past four years.
Was part of a Memphis staff that guided the Tigers to a 10-win season in 2014, the first time the school had registered double-digit victories since 1938. The 2014 campaign also marked the first time Memphis had won a conference title since 1971.
Memphis ranked fourth among FBS squads in punt coverage in 2014, allowing opponents only a 2.77 yards per return.
Memphis wide receiver Keiwone Malone concluded his collegiate career with a school-record 83 punt returns for 716 yards, a figure that ranked as the fourth-highest tally in school history.
In 2013, Shibest coached the nation's best punter, Tom Hornsey, who earned Ray Guy Award and honored by the American Athletic Conference as the league's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year.
Hornsey ranked seventh nationally in punting in 2013, averaging 45.2 yards per punt. He also landed 46.8 percent (29 of 62) of his punts inside the 20.
Memphis led Conference USA in kickoff coverage with a net average of 42.6 yards in 2013.
Freshman tight end Alan Cross led Memphis with five TD catches in 2012 and was named to the All-Conference USA Freshman Team.
Spent four seasons at Ole Miss, where he coached an NCAA statistical champion, four All-SEC honorees and two freshman award winners highlighted Shibest's special teams accomplishments.
Tutored the top two kick returners in Ole Miss history in Mike Wallace and Jesse Grandy.
In 2011, the Rebels ranked second nationally and led the SEC in punt returns with a 15.6-yard average.
Kicker Joshua Shene wrapped up his career at Ole Miss second in career scoring (310), field goals (57), field goal attempts (75), PATs made (139) and PATs attempted (142).
In his first season with the Rebels in 2008, Shibest was honored as the Special Teams Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop.com.
Shibest groomed running back Felix Jones into the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year at Arkansas in 2007. He ranked third in the nation with a 31.33-yard kickoff average with two TDs, earned a spot on the Walter Camp All-America First Team squad.  Jones was a first-round pick of Dallas in the 2008 NFL Draft.
Prior to his time at Ole Miss, Shibest spent eight years at his alma mater, Arkansas, from 2000-07, where he coached special teams and had stints tutoring tight ends (2000-01, 2006-07) and receivers (2002-05).
Enjoyed a highly successful four-year stint as head coach at Butler County (Kan.) Community College. Shibest led the Grizzlies to a four-year record of 34-10 and back-to-back National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) championships in 1998 and 1999.
Named the NJCAA Coach of the Year both seasons, and he also earned Jayhawk Conference Coach of the Year honors in 1996 and 1998.
During his tenure at Butler County, Shibest coached 19 NJCAA All-Americans and 34 NCAA Division I signees, including Jermaine Petty who earned All-America first team honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA).
Led the Grizzlies to records of 7-4 in 1996, 4-5 in 1997, 12-0 in 1998 and 11-1 in 1999.
Began his career as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State, coaching receivers in 1990 and running backs in 1991.
Started his ascent through the junior college coaching ranks as offensive coordinator at Independence (Kan.) Community College in 1992 and then coached the secondary in 1993.
Embarked on a two-year tenure as an assistant at Garden City (Kan.) Community College. There, he helped the Bronc Busters to a 10-1 record in 1994 and a 9-2 mark in 1995 with an offense that ranked sixth in the NJCAA.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

DeltaHog66

Sho Nuff

You must not remember his time at Ole Miss with the Murray St Mafia.  He was taunting our players in one game while acting like a buffoon.  No Thanks.

JONAS

Donny2665

Quote from: JONAS on December 04, 2017, 04:10:13 pm
F*** NO!

LOL! my co-worker dared me to post him as a possibility since he did have the two JR College National Championships.

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

The Hawg Marshal

This will probably not end well.

USChog

A lot of effort typing that up only to get shut down.

Ray_Finkle

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 04, 2017, 04:08:23 pm
Arkansas Alumni, If we are going to throw some names out there. 8)

Regarded as one of the nation's top special teams coaches, enters his first season serving as special teams coordinator and tight ends coach at Virginia Tech.
Joins the Hokies after working with current Tech head coach Justin Fuente the past four seasons at Memphis.
Brings 25 years of coaching experience with him to Blacksburg, which includes 12 seasons working as a special teams coach in the Southeastern Conference at both Ole Miss and Arkansas.
His special teams units at Memphis were among the nation's finest the past two seasons. His 2015 squad ranked seventh in the country in overall special teams efficiency via Football Outsiders, while his 2014 unit was the best in the FBS according to ESPN.
Helped Memphis register 19 victories during the 2014-15 seasons, including a 15-game victory streak that was highlighted by a 37-24 win over No. 13 Mississippi and a 55-48 double-OT victory in the 2014 Miami Beach Bowl against BYU.
Memphis kicker Jake Elliott was named the American Athletic Conference's Special Teams Player of the Year Award with in both 2014 and 2015.
Elliott was one of three finalists for the Lou Groza Award as the nation's top kicker in 2015. Memphis was the only collegiate program to have a semifinalist for both the Ray Guy Award and the Lou Groza Award in 2014.
A three-time Groza Award semifinalist, Elliott connected on 76.9 percent (60 of 78) of his FGs the past three seasons under Shibest with eight makes from 50 or more yards, including a school-record 56-yard FG at South Florida (11/16/13).
Elliott established Memphis records in 2015 with 23 made field goals and 132 points. He connected on 82.1 percent (23 of 28) FGs and nailed all 63 of his PATs.
Special teams coverage units coached by Shibest haven't allowed a kick return or punt return TD over the past five seasons. His squads ranked among the nation's top 10 in net kickoff coverage three of the past four years.
Was part of a Memphis staff that guided the Tigers to a 10-win season in 2014, the first time the school had registered double-digit victories since 1938. The 2014 campaign also marked the first time Memphis had won a conference title since 1971.
Memphis ranked fourth among FBS squads in punt coverage in 2014, allowing opponents only a 2.77 yards per return.
Memphis wide receiver Keiwone Malone concluded his collegiate career with a school-record 83 punt returns for 716 yards, a figure that ranked as the fourth-highest tally in school history.
In 2013, Shibest coached the nation's best punter, Tom Hornsey, who earned Ray Guy Award and honored by the American Athletic Conference as the league's Co-Special Teams Player of the Year.
Hornsey ranked seventh nationally in punting in 2013, averaging 45.2 yards per punt. He also landed 46.8 percent (29 of 62) of his punts inside the 20.
Memphis led Conference USA in kickoff coverage with a net average of 42.6 yards in 2013.
Freshman tight end Alan Cross led Memphis with five TD catches in 2012 and was named to the All-Conference USA Freshman Team.
Spent four seasons at Ole Miss, where he coached an NCAA statistical champion, four All-SEC honorees and two freshman award winners highlighted Shibest's special teams accomplishments.
Tutored the top two kick returners in Ole Miss history in Mike Wallace and Jesse Grandy.
In 2011, the Rebels ranked second nationally and led the SEC in punt returns with a 15.6-yard average.
Kicker Joshua Shene wrapped up his career at Ole Miss second in career scoring (310), field goals (57), field goal attempts (75), PATs made (139) and PATs attempted (142).
In his first season with the Rebels in 2008, Shibest was honored as the Special Teams Coordinator of the Year by FootballScoop.com.
Shibest groomed running back Felix Jones into the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year at Arkansas in 2007. He ranked third in the nation with a 31.33-yard kickoff average with two TDs, earned a spot on the Walter Camp All-America First Team squad.  Jones was a first-round pick of Dallas in the 2008 NFL Draft.
Prior to his time at Ole Miss, Shibest spent eight years at his alma mater, Arkansas, from 2000-07, where he coached special teams and had stints tutoring tight ends (2000-01, 2006-07) and receivers (2002-05).
Enjoyed a highly successful four-year stint as head coach at Butler County (Kan.) Community College. Shibest led the Grizzlies to a four-year record of 34-10 and back-to-back National Junior College Athletic Association (NJCAA) championships in 1998 and 1999.
Named the NJCAA Coach of the Year both seasons, and he also earned Jayhawk Conference Coach of the Year honors in 1996 and 1998.
During his tenure at Butler County, Shibest coached 19 NJCAA All-Americans and 34 NCAA Division I signees, including Jermaine Petty who earned All-America first team honors from the American Football Coaches Association (AFCA).
Led the Grizzlies to records of 7-4 in 1996, 4-5 in 1997, 12-0 in 1998 and 11-1 in 1999.
Began his career as a graduate assistant at Oklahoma State, coaching receivers in 1990 and running backs in 1991.
Started his ascent through the junior college coaching ranks as offensive coordinator at Independence (Kan.) Community College in 1992 and then coached the secondary in 1993.
Embarked on a two-year tenure as an assistant at Garden City (Kan.) Community College. There, he helped the Bronc Busters to a 10-1 record in 1994 and a 9-2 mark in 1995 with an offense that ranked sixth in the NJCAA.

Didn't read....

Donny2665

Quote from: USChog on December 04, 2017, 04:13:00 pm
A lot of effort typing that up only to get shut down.

Copied and Pasted from his V-Tech's Bio 8)

HogFansReunited

My girl told me to whisper something sexy in her ear...so I leaned in and said....Dominic Fletcher.

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pm
Remember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!

Member #3568

JONAS

dhornjr1

Inhogswetrust

He should have gotten kicked off the sidelines at RRS one time while coaching here for taunting an opposing player.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Boarsnest

Pit of misery for you sir! Lol!

VBMark

John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

porque

That's a great idea.

My lord we need bouncers in this place.

Hawg2afault

To this day at Hog games I yell, "Fire Shibest!" when we have a bone head special teams play. 

Tusks

Is he currently on or off the wagon?
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

Donny2665

GoPigs69

Why are some of you obsessed with filling his staff for him? And why does it always have to be some recycled Razorback twice removed?

I see everyone scrambling on twitter begging him to keep Lunney.  Who cares?

It's his staff. His job depends on winning. Not ours.

I am eager to see who he does hire but I am not gonna spend countless hours researching who he should.

razorzapp

"Shibest groomed running back Felix Jones into the SEC Special Teams Player of the Year at Arkansas in 2007." Comedy gold right there.

BigSexyHog

This is a tough one.  Dude is a hog and gave everything he could give to this program.  Hitched his wagons to Nuttsack and get carried away with a few things.  That stunt he pulled at LSU still irks me to this day.  I guess is CCM thought he was good enough to help and make this a better program and team I would buy into it. 
Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

247Hog

Quote from: Donny2665 on December 04, 2017, 04:11:55 pm
LOL! my co-worker dared me to post him as a possibility since he did have the two JR College National Championships.

That's like the 5th time you said someone you knew dared you to post something. That's horse darn. Don't fall for peer pressure and let them post stupid stuff if they wanna be trolls. Not a good look for you.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Donny2665

Quote from: 247Hog on December 08, 2017, 04:36:32 pm
That's like the 5th time you said someone you knew dared you to post something. That's horse darn. Don't fall for peer pressure and let them post stupid stuff if they wanna be trolls. Not a good look for you.
Quote from: GoPigs69 on December 08, 2017, 04:30:39 pm
Why are some of you obsessed with filling his staff for him? And why does it always have to be some recycled Razorback twice removed?

I see everyone scrambling on twitter begging him to keep Lunney.  Who cares?

It's his staff. His job depends on winning. Not ours.

I am eager to see who he does hire but I am not gonna spend countless hours researching who he should.
If you don't care enough, why don't you just mosey over to Jonesboro and root for them?

Donny2665

Quote from: 247Hog on December 08, 2017, 04:36:32 pm
Correction, Only the first time. No need being over dramatic!!

razorbackcaller

So let me get this straight.
You guys have welcomed the Aggie with open arms but would not allow a Razorback great who lost his cool while coaching a rival school to return home? That's a head scratcher

Hogimus Prime

No one and I mean no one with connections to Houston Nutt should be allowed any where near the University of Arkansas.  With the stuff they pulled and acted here and their actions while at Ole Miss. That group of classes hacks should be blacklisted.

longtimeHogfan

Quote from: Ray_Finkle on December 04, 2017, 04:14:01 pm
Didn't read....

Neither did I.  No Murray St. Mafia hootie retread needed. 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

The real Hogules

Now THAT'S a sense of humor!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

trippigs

Kevin

we don't have to bring back every old hog, to be on the hill
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TennesseeRaz

He was a peer in Econ class while I was at UA.  I was far less than impressed.  Some grow up, I suppose.

98hogs

Horrible kicking game when Shibest was here, just horrible.

Sivad

Hell to the NO on Shiworst.