Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Barry Alvarez @ LR TD Club Today

Started by HawgWild, September 25, 2017, 09:44:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HawgWild

Boy, this is going to be interesting. Anyone want to venture what he has to say about CBB?

twistitup

CBB should be there to thank him - if it wasn't for Barry, CBB would not be a rich head coach at an SEC school

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

zebradynasty

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

gchamblee

Quote from: HawgWild on September 25, 2017, 09:44:54 am
Boy, this is going to be interesting. Anyone want to venture what he has to say about CBB?

They are good friends and both have a lot of respect for each other. I doubt this is going to end the way you hope it will.

hoglady

Alvarez will show nothing but support for Bielema.
If he even addresses the issue.
Coaching is pretty much a club - it's really rare for one coach to criticize another. (with the exception of Meyer).
Would certainly not be a good look for Alvarez who hired Bielema at Wisky.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

HawgWild

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 10:18:46 am
They are good friends and both have a lot of respect for each other. I doubt this is going to end the way you hope it will.

And how do you think I hope it will end?

Lanny

Leaving shortly, I'll give a report later today
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Pig Worshipper

I don't think Alvarez has spoken with Bielema since he left Wisconsin and refuses to do so, from what I understand. Whatever it once was, it is no longer a "friendship". I don't expect Alvarez to dance on Bielema's football grave today, though. I expect him to take the high road.

Redhogs

Quote from: Lanny on September 25, 2017, 10:54:45 am
Leaving shortly, I'll give a report later today
Why don't you recommend he give Bret a ride back to WI. when he leaves. ;) ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HawgWild on September 25, 2017, 10:47:37 am
And how do you think I hope it will end?
He does not know. But this is how a-holes comment.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

gchamblee

Quote from: Pig Worshipper on September 25, 2017, 11:05:34 am
I don't think Alvarez has spoken with Bielema since he left Wisconsin and refuses to do so, from what I understand. Whatever it once was, it is no longer a "friendship". I don't expect Alvarez to dance on Bielema's football grave today, though. I expect him to take the high road.

They patched things up a while back. There were articles about this.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19359188/how-barry-alvarez-bret-bielema-became-best-friends-again

Redhogs

Yes he has, they kissed and made up. Read an article about that not long ago.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

#1Fan

You're wrong about that.  Alvarez was even on Bo's show recently with good things to say about CBB.

Atlhogfan1

Not true.  They are good again. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

jkstock04

I'm betting its nothing but sunshine, spin, more time, and fans' fault.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogcard1964

They're good friends.  He's going to throw support in his corner.  He doesn't want him unemployed.

...and that's what he would be.  Nobody is hiring Bielema after he's fired.

Polecat

I know this schedule was set up long ago, but the timing is interesting. Curious as to what is said
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2017, 11:15:10 am
They're good friends.  He's going to throw support in his corner.  He doesn't want him unemployed.

You still standing by your claim that TCU is a bad football team?

hogcard1964

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 25, 2017, 11:09:43 am

no doubt

PorkRinds

Anyone that thinks they'd get Alvarez to come to the LRTD and bash the coach is in a dream world.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 11:17:10 am

I think I said they weren't "that good". 

...what do you think that has to do with us losing to them at home, losing to Texas A & M (who is actually a bad football team) and Bielema being an awful coach?

hogcard1964

Quote from: Polecat on September 25, 2017, 11:16:13 am
I know this schedule was set up long ago, but the timing is interesting. Curious as to what is said

Someone should ask Barry how he likes this new batch of Whisky cheerleaders.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2017, 11:20:36 am
I think I said they weren't "that good". 

...what do you think that has to do with us losing to them at home, losing to Texas A & M (who is actually a bad football team) and Bielema being an awful coach?

You said they are a bad football team. I was simply pointing out that you are rarely right about anything you say, which was relevant to your post.

Sapperhog

This.

But HV will hope for some negative spin from Coach Alvarez.

Mo_Better_Hogs

The first thing I thought----Barry Alvarez at the LR TD Club Today???

Can't wait to hear about it, Lanny.

gchamblee

Quote from: Sapperhog on September 25, 2017, 11:23:33 am
This.

But HV will hope for some negative spin from Coach Alvarez.

They won't get it. BA is a class act.

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 11:23:12 am
You said they are a bad football team. I was simply pointing out that you are rarely right about anything you say, which was relevant to your post.

...which still indicates I'm correct about the other two points.  A & M and Bielema are both "bad".   ;)

HeathWimp

Quote from: jkstock04 on September 25, 2017, 11:09:43 am

This. ^
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

hogcard1964

twistitup

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 11:17:10 am

You still stand by your claim that Chaney is a bad OC?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

LRHawg

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2017, 10:24:26 am
Alvarez will show nothing but support for Bielema.
If he even addresses the issue.
Coaching is pretty much a club - it's really rare for one coach to criticize another. (with the exception of Meyer).
Would certainly not be a good look for Alvarez who hired Bielema at Wisky.

Exactly. I don't know why anyone would expect anything but coach speak and short answers on any questions directed towards him regarding CBB.

He probably feels vindicated considering the flack he got from Hog fans when CBB left.

kaki

Quote from: HoginMemphis on September 25, 2017, 11:07:13 am
He does not know. But this is how a-holes comment.
And how do you describe your comment?

Hoggish1

I've read that CBB and Alvarez have met and things are good between them—they are back to being good friends.  Maybe you want your scenario to be right, but it isn't

sickboy

Quote from: twistitup on September 25, 2017, 11:50:23 am
You still stand by your claim that Chaney is a bad OC?

Uhhhh. I'll stand by that. Chaney is an average OC, at best.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 25, 2017, 11:15:10 am

Except maybe ESPN to do those coaches round tables during the games. The media still loves his personality, and they can overlook how hideous he has become physically, for good and funny commentary during games.

Inhogswetrust

Wrong. They patched things up.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

gchamblee

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 25, 2017, 12:52:02 pm
Except maybe ESPN to do those coaches round tables during the games. The media still loves his personality, and they can overlook how hideous he has become physically, for good and funny commentary during games.

This kind of comment is just low class petty crap. His personal appearance has nothing to do with anything. There is no reason to turn criticism of his professional abilities into a personal attack unless you lack the maturity to be part of the discussion.

The Great Hambino

Quote from: gchamblee on September 25, 2017, 01:08:44 pm
This kind of comment is just low class petty crap. His personal appearance has nothing to do with anything. There is no reason to turn criticism of his professional abilities into a personal attack unless you lack the maturity to be part of the discussion.

It absolutely has everything to do with being an espn talking head. For a long time, they absolutely refused to hire bald people.

hangupandlisten

I think Bazzell asked every question but 2 during the Q&A session. He had a microphone he was using from his seat. The 2 other questions were from likely plants at the high dollar 50 yard line table.

hoglady

I listened to Alvarez on the Buzz prior to the Touchdown Club.

Justin asked him if he thought Bielema would turn it around here.
Alvarez said he doesn't pay much attention to Arkansas, but Bielema did a good job at Wisconsin.
Asked him how he viewed these huge buy outs for coaches - said you should never give a coach a buy out amount that's not financially feasible for you to make. Said it's bad, bad business to do anything else, you can't get yourself stuck in a situation that isn't working out.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."

hawgon

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2017, 04:34:36 pm

Alvarez said he doesn't pay much attention to Arkansas, but Bielema did a good job at Wisconsin.
Asked him how he viewed these huge buy outs for coaches - said you should never give a coach a buy out amount that's not financially feasible for you to make. Said it's bad, bad business to do anything else, you can't get yourself stuck in a situation that isn't working out.

Wait, doesn't Alvarez realize that he doesn't have the business and administration background to make judgments on things like buyouts?

GoHogs1091

I presume the TD Club wanted to hear the thoughts from the person who was primarily responsible for Bielema's perceived success at Wisconsin.

The TD Club couldn't get any success based information from Bielema a few days ago when he spoke at the Club since Bielema is not producing on the field success at the UofA.

Sivad

Quote from: PorkRinds on September 25, 2017, 11:20:35 am
Anyone that thinks they'd get Alvarez to come to the LRTD and bash the coach is in a dream world.
But yet they still hope.

Lanny

Quote from: hoglady on September 25, 2017, 04:34:36 pm

this
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Pork Ranger

Quote from: Lanny on September 25, 2017, 05:59:26 pm
this

He was also asked about his relationship with Bret and said they are still friends but not like before. Said he was pretty upset initially because B blindsided him coming here but that life is too short to stay mad. They were actually supposed to have dinner together the night he accepted the UA job...

Boarcephus

Quote from: zsanfusa on September 25, 2017, 09:45:41 am
Nothing.  Silence is deafening.

You chimed in less than a minute after he posted this
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

hoglady

http://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/sep/26/alvarez-restrained-in-support-of-bielem-1/

Wally has a pretty good article on Alvarez.
Talked about how recruiting to Arkansas is different than Wisconsin / the need for speed in the SEC.
Also said when Bielema was at Wisconsin they would meet 3 to 4 times a week to discuss the football team.

hawgon

So basically, it sounds like Alvarez said what a lot of us "dummies" have been saying for a long time.

- we don't recruit enough speed and speed is the most important thing in the SEC

- it is best to have one coach in charge of special teams

- Bielema was pretty closely supervised and scrutinized at Wisconsin

And so on and so forth.