Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Started by bphi11ips, July 28, 2017, 09:58:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

At one time 33 was THE most desirable number for a Razorbacks running back.  Before single digits became the rage, numbers were primarily an indication of position.  Still are for offensive linemen. 

I noticed with interest yesterday number 33 sitting next to Austen Allen in a practice photo.  The player looked a bit older.  Was that David Williams?  I hoped so and checked the roster.  YES!!!

Bobby Burnette, Bill Burnette and Dickey Morton were three Hogs backs who wore the number well.   Bobby was one of the stars on the '64 team and scored the winning TD to beat Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl.  Bill scored 46 TDs between 1968 and 1970 and led the country in 1969 with 20.  He still holds the Razorbacks career record for TDs scored.  Dickey Morton was a fireplug who burned Baylor once for 271 yards.  He rushed for 3, 317 yards from 1971-1973 and held the SWC record for career rushing yards for a few years.  Maybe Earl Campbell broke his record.  Freshmen weren't eligible to play football until 1972.

I have a feeling David Williams is going to make a big difference this season for the Hogs.  Forget his numbers at SC.  He was one of the top recruits in the country out of high school. Maybe 33 is an omen.

Who else wore 33 for the Hogs?  I know there were others but memory is failing me this morning.  It's been a while, I think, since we've seen a TB wear it.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorbackfan86

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 09:58:53 am
Who else wore 33 for the Hogs?  I know there were others but memory is failing me this morning.  It's been a while, I think, since we've seen a TB wear it.

Dennis Johnson wore it.

oldfart

i remember from old Neyland days that the tailback wore 40s, the fullback wore 30s, the blocking back wore 20s and the wingbacks wore 20s.  ends were 80s tackles 70s, guards 60s, centers 50s....   no single digits... in fact single digits were not allowed by SEC in those days.  i remember Ray Graves at florida had to petition to allow one of his players who was very small to be allowed to wear number 1....  squads were not nearly as large in those days i think

King Kong

bphi11ips

Dennis Johnson and Korliss Marshall were certainly worthy of the number.  Johnson for his productivity and Marshall for his talent.  Again, 33 seems to always be a good back.

Funny how memory works as you age.  Some days you can remember the names of most of your fourth grade classmates but have trouble remembering what you had for breakfast.

Al Boarland

I have a feeling David Williams is going to make a big difference this season for the Hogs.
Other than providing depth I'd be curious to hear your reasoning. I know he was ranked high coming out of HS, but he couldn't get carries at USCe. It's possible he was overrated. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got him b/c we need depth. However, it seems like we have a strong case of wishful thinking.

Pigsknuckles

Way off topic here. I wore the #33 from PeeWee baseball all the way through HS baseball and football. As a boy I had read a story about Roy Campenella, MVP catcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers during the 50's whose career was cut short when he was paralyzed in a car accident. As a catcher myself, I was captivated by the story, and noted that he was pictured wearing the #33. From that point forward #33 was my requested playing number, both as a catcher, and as a DB in HS.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Panthog

I believe Jessie Clark and Mark Pierce were running backs that wore #33.  I still remember Jessie running for about 30 yards on his first carry against Texas in 1981.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 28, 2017, 11:14:40 am
Way off topic here. I wore the #33 from PeeWee baseball all the way through HS baseball and football. As a boy I had read a story about Roy Campenella, MVP catcher for the Brooklyn Dodgers during the 50's whose career was cut short when he was paralyzed in a car accident. As a catcher myself, I was captivated by the story, and noted that he was pictured wearing the #33. From that point forward #33 was my requested playing number, both as a catcher, and as a DB in HS.

I'll continue off-topic.

Johnny Bench was my idol.  He wore number 5 and was born on February 5, just like I was.  I played catcher when I was 10 and wore number 5.  From then on that was my number in baseball. 

In football it was Bill Montgomery.  I was a QB and always wore number 10.  Except in the eight grade.  Lol.  I just learned this recently when an old friend sent me a photo and highlights of the season originally filmed for reel to reel.  The mighty Wabbits of Our Lady of Holy Souls were undefeated in the Little Rock Parochial League that year.  He said something about number 85 and I didn't know what he was talking about.  It was me!  I had no recollection of ever wearing anything but 10.  My friend's dad was the coach that year.  The story was that our Wabbits Jerseys came in with all the low numbers in small jerseys.  I and a few other players were around 6'2", so we all got the high numbers.  The backfield was full of 80s!

Still, 33 is just a cool number.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 11:35:03 am
I'll continue off-topic.

Johnny Bench was my idol.  He wore number 5 and was born on February 5, just like I was.  I played catcher when I was 10 and wore number 5.  From then on that was my number in baseball. 

In football it was Bill Montgomery.  I was a QB and always wore number 10.  Except in the eight grade.  Lol.  I just learned this recently when an old friend sent me a photo and highlights of the season originally filmed for reel to reel.  The mighty Wabbits of Our Lady of Holy Souls were undefeated in the Little Rock Parochial League that year.  He said something about number 85 and I didn't know what he was talking about.  It was me!  I had no recollection of ever wearing anything but 10.  My friend's dad was the coach that year.  The story was that our Wabbits Jerseys came in with all the low numbers in small jerseys.  I and a few other players were around 6'2", so we all got the high numbers.  The backfield was full of 80s!

Stories like these are fun reminders of past experiences. BTW keep up the practice reports. Someone has to step in for UU. Miss that guy.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Panthog on July 28, 2017, 11:25:58 am
I believe Jessie Clark and Mark Pierce were running backs that wore #33.  I still remember Jessie running for about 30 yards on his first carry against Texas in 1981.

Ha ha . . . me too.  When the SEC Network replayed that game the other day, I knew what to expect on play #1.  And I remembered the excitement that specific play gave me when I saw it in real time.  Something about it signaled to me that we were ready to play that day.

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 11:35:03 am
I'll continue off-topic.

So . . . you were Ike Forte for one season?

;)

sowmonella

Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Kareem Abdul jabbar and Scottie Pippen were all 33. I was #33 back in the olden days.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on July 28, 2017, 10:08:55 am
Dennis Johnson wore it.

I was always a big fan of Dennis, and I think he's underrated. His total numbers weren't necessarily off-the-charts, and didn't get the notoriety that our thousand-yard RBs got since his time. But he was a stud. And very worthy of 33.

In the Ben Cowins days, wasn't Michael Forrest 33? I agree this is a very cool, classic tailback number.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Tusks

I wore 33 in LL football, 4th grade because of Bill Burnett.  He used to dive over the pile and we kids thought that was just the most amazing thing.

Next year a better, BIGGER, kid wanted 33 so I went with 25 John Reese, my family and his family were friends so I went with that.

The next year I played QB and went with #10 Bill Montgomery, even though now as and adult I would have run the ball and kicked the FG, can't believe still that he under threw a pass in the end zone and it was intercepted instead.  Run the ball, kick the FG and win the 69 shootout.

See still gets to me to this day.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

ricepig

Quote from: sowmonella on July 28, 2017, 11:55:48 am
Larry Bird, Patrick Ewing, Kareem Abdul jabbar and Scottie Pippen were all 33. I was #33 back in the olden days.

#23 for me, most said I reminded them of Maravich. I'm pretty sure that comment was based on the hair only......

WilsonHog

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 10:49:26 am
Dennis Johnson and Korliss Marshall were certainly worthy of the number.  Johnson for his productivity and Marshall for his talent.  Again, 33 seems to always be a good back.

Funny how memory works as you age.  Some days you can remember the names of most of your fourth grade classmates but have trouble remembering what you had for breakfast.

I believe Michael Forrest, the fullback from Earle who blocked for Ben Cowins, also wore #33.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on July 28, 2017, 12:01:06 pm
I was always a big fan of Dennis, and I think he's underrated. His total numbers weren't necessarily off-the-charts, and didn't get the notoriety that our thousand-yard RBs got since his time. But he was a stud. And very worthy of 33.

In the Ben Cowins days, wasn't Michael Forrest 33? I agree this is a very cool, classic tailback number.

DJ (We called him DEEJ to distinguish him from D.J. Williams) is and was an underrated back. There were issues, some within his control and some without, but you only have to look to a few of the performances where he got a lions share of carries to see that he had more fight than his height would imply. I remember him running like a man child against Florida and LSU.

Also underrated were his abilities as a return man which is where he unfortunately encountered one of those issues outside of his control.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

daBoar

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2017, 12:11:31 pm
#23 for me, most said I reminded them of Maravich. I'm pretty sure that comment was based on the hair only......
Perhaps it was your behind the back pass to the bleachers?

1highhog

bphi11ips

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 28, 2017, 11:48:46 am
So . . . you were Ike Forte for one season?

;)

I wish.  Coincidentally, the mighty Wabbits 10-0 season was 1975. 

bennyl08

On Dennis Johnson, I think he is pretty accurately rated on average. Many people today seem to have forgotten about him, others think he was better than Knile. Dennis was certainly worth remembering (his Florida game always sticks out for me) but when both backs were healthy, Knile was by far the better back.

Knile had superior size, speed, and durability as far as the regular wear and tear goes. Of course, if Knile did get injured, it meant he'd be out for the season.

Dennis was shiftier than Knile and ran with a bit more ferocity, but in part due to his small size (5'6 196) he struggled to finish games due to injuries. He'd be back playing again the next week, but Petrino would mention in press conferences how DJ didn't play much in the fourth to a groin injury or because of his hamstring etc... Sure enough, you look at his split stats and in the two seasons he had over 100 carries, he had significantly fewer touches in the fourth. As for KR, DJ is the career KR yardage leader. However, while he was very successful there, a key stat to keep in mind is look at the SEC leaderboard with # of returns and yards per return. DJ has a lot of returns. Among players with 50+ career returns, he ranks 26th in yards per return. Felix Jones has a resounding 1.1 yard per return lead in first place.

On David Williams, save for the 1 year with Mike Davis when Williams was a freshmen, they haven't had any stud backs. It is not a good sign for him being a feature back here that he was unable to rise to the top there. Having said that, a few other thoughts. First, he doesn't need to be a feature back here to help us. Each year at SC, he was the third leading rusher putting up on average about 250 yards rushing and 100 yards in the air. If he does that here, that's great. That's all we really need from him. Anything more is just gravy. Continuing the theme of what he was able to do at SC, he showed an ability to hit the hole quickly and showed the speed and burst that led to him being a 4* player out of HS. He still has all of that, which begs the question of why he didn't become a more productive back at SC? Don't know the guy myself, but frequently, having the physical talent but not the production comes down to one of two things. Natural instincts are lacking or work ethic is lacking. If the former (think Wingo or the like), then then best we should hope for is to expect him to do this year what he has done in the past and nothing more, which again, is all we need from him. However, what if it is the latter? CBB isn't known to add slackers to the team. Kids do mature. Perhaps he had slacked off when he was younger, realized this season that a freshmen can come in and do a lot more than he ever has, and realized he needed to work harder. He sees an opportunity at Arkansas, works hard, and becomes more than a 250 yard back. This is quite common in the NFL for somebody to underachieve at one place, and the change of scenery really inspires them to live up to their ability. SC frees up a scholarship, we add depth at RB.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

presidenthog

I hate to rain on anyone's parade but did anyone besides me actually go ask a SC fan what kind of back he was??

I'll give you guys a hint. The answers I got was Williams was a lot like Ronnie wingo. Big fast back. Doesn't like contact. Has good pass pro. Good hands. Even mentioned he runs a good wheel route. This guy is not going to be all sec. He will be good depth.

ricepig

Quote from: presidenthog on July 28, 2017, 02:39:36 pm
I hate to rain on anyone's parade but did anyone besides me actually go ask a SC fan what kind of back he was??

I'll give you guys a hint. The answers I got was Williams was a lot like Ronnie wingo. Big fast back. Doesn't like contact. Has good pass pro. Good hands. Even mentioned he runs a good wheel route. This guy is not going to be all sec. He will be good depth.

That's all we can hope for.

ricepig

Quote from: daBoar on July 28, 2017, 02:05:29 pm
Perhaps it was your behind the back pass to the bleachers?

So, you were there scouting me, huh?

Bacons Rebellion

So in addition to Roy Campanella and approximately 458 Hogville football stars listed above, I come up with:

Bobby Burnett
Bill Burnett
Dicky Morton
Michael Forrest
Jessie Clark
Marvin Caston
Mark Pierce
Radale Pearson
Farod jackson
David Williams

HamSammich

July 28, 2017, 03:21:27 pm #26 Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 03:32:08 pm by HamSammich
Great thread. Next time you play roulette play numbers 22 and 33. I've won a bunch doing this. *mumbles something about also losing a bunch*

The knock on Williams from Cockfan is that he has no vision. I sort of think he just really is a bad fit for Rb in a zone blocking scheme in which the holes open up mich slower.

I've got a feeling he is probably one of the three fastest players on our team and will have a hellova year.

Mike_e

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 10:49:26 am

That's usually because I forgot breakfast.  ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

sowmonella

July 28, 2017, 04:12:15 pm #28 Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 04:23:02 pm by sowmonella
Quote from: presidenthog on July 28, 2017, 02:39:36 pm

We won't know how good Williams can be until he plays. So Carolina has only had 10 (TEN) 1,000 yd seasons by a back in their entire history. That includes 2 (1979 & 1980) by a Heisman winner, George Rogers. We have had 5 (FIVE) in the past 4 years. Coach BB has had an 1,000 yd rusher the past 11 consecutive years. You are not raining on anyone's parade.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

bennyl08

Quote from: sowmonella on July 28, 2017, 04:12:15 pm
We won't know how good Williams can be until he plays. So Carolina has only had 10 (TEN) 1,000 yd seasons by a back in their entire history. That includes 2 (1979 & 1980) by a Heisman winner, George Rogers. We have had 5 (FIVE) in the past 4 years. Coach BB has had an 1,000 yd rusher the past 11 consecutive years. You are not raining on anyone's parade.

It's a valid point to make though. Typically, a skilled player will tend to produce regardless of the scheme. Think Julio when Bama was still run heavy, Knile during Arkansas' passing hay day. etc...

In some of the few highlights David Williams has, he shows the speed and burst that made him a 4* player. He has the physical ability to be a 1k rusher. So, it has to be asked, why has he not produced, especially given that he hasn't exactly been buried behind other studs at SC. Beyond whether or not he was a 1k rusher, why was he always the third back and never even the second leading rusher?

In my above post, I described two common reasons that have held other players in similar situations back. First, is the lack of instincts like what Wingo suffered from. 2nd reason could be a lack of a maturity in the player, which being taken over by a true freshmen your junior year can jump start and a new team in a new environment can often foster a greater level of work ethic.

Regardless, Williams has been quite consistent so far in his production with about 250 yards rushing and about another 100 in the air. We don't need him to be a 1k rusher for us. We have Whaley and M. Williams who are both more than capable of being our top 2 backs. What we lack is a third back and somebody who is an experienced pass blocker, though Maleek is picking it up quickly. If the worse case scenario comes true and David Williams is another Ronnie Wingo Jr, that is just fine by me. That is all we need him to be and Wingo actually played in the NFL for a few years. At 6'1 231, Wingo ran a 4.47, put up 18 reps on the bench, had a 33" verty, 9'9" broad, 4.53 shuttle and a 7.47 3-cone. Those numbers are good enough that somebody will give you a couple chances.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Danimal

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 09:58:53 am
At one time 33 was THE most desirable number for a Razorbacks running back.  Before single digits became the rage, numbers were primarily an indication of position.  Still are for offensive linemen. 

I noticed with interest yesterday number 33 sitting next to Austen Allen in a practice photo.  The player looked a bit older.  Was that David Williams?  I hoped so and checked the roster.  YES!!!

Bobby Burnette, Bill Burnette and Dickey Morton were three Hogs backs who wore the number well.   Bobby was one of the stars on the '64 team and scored the winning TD to beat Nebraska 10-7 in the Cotton Bowl.  Bill scored 46 TDs between 1968 and 1970 and led the country in 1969 with 20.  He still holds the Razorbacks career record for TDs scored.  Dickey Morton was a fireplug who burned Baylor once for 271 yards.  He rushed for 3, 317 yards from 1971-1973 and held the SWC record for career rushing yards for a few years.  Maybe Earl Campbell broke his record.  Freshmen weren't eligible to play football until 1972.

I have a feeling David Williams is going to make a big difference this season for the Hogs.  Forget his numbers at SC.  He was one of the top recruits in the country out of high school. Maybe 33 is an omen.

I was at the game when Morton torched the Baylor D (I was 9). He got about half those yards on 2 TD runs. Funny side story -- On the way down to the game (which happened to be the same day as the Texass/OU game, my dad got a speeding ticket in some little backroad town between Dallas and Waco. We had to follow the local Barney Fife to the local judge's house (about a mile away) to pay the ticket. When we got there my dad said "Your Honor I'm sorry to inconvenience you like this right at kickoff time for the Texas/OU game. The judge said "OH S#!TE, has it already started? My dad said "Yeah we had it on the radio when I got pulled over. They were just about to have the coin toss". The judge wadded up the ticket and said "Do me a favor and drive the speed limit on down to Waco -- I gotta grab a beer outta the fridge and get the TV turned on". He walked back in his house and we left. End of story. LOL

bennyl08

Quote from: Danimal on July 28, 2017, 05:29:59 pm
I was at the game when Morton torched the Baylor D (I was 9). He got about half those yards on 2 TD runs. Funny side story -- On the way down to the game (which happened to be the same day as the Texass/OU game, my dad got a speeding ticket in some little backroad town between Dallas and Waco. We had to follow the local Barney Fife to the local judge's house (about a mile away) to pay the ticket. When we got there my dad said "Your Honor I'm sorry to inconvenience you like this right at kickoff time for the Texas/OU game. The judge said "OH S#!TE, has it already started? My dad said "Yeah we had it on the radio when I got pulled over. They were just about to have the coin toss". The judge wadded up the ticket and said "Do me a favor and drive the speed limit on down to Waco -- I gotta grab a beer outta the fridge and get the TV turned on". He walked back in his house and we left. End of story. LOL

Thank goodness he didn't get a ticket for a rolling stop in a small town. He might be facing the bonenator!

HogFoo

i like that D. Williams has #33.  I am more of a sunshine pumper than a pee in your cornflakes kind of person.. but i will pee in your cornflakes if you provoke me. =-)      Anyways....  speaking of DW.  I think he kid has talent.  I too have heard that he was kind of a Wingo type.  But,  I believe you can re-invent yourself.  I think he knows this is his last "money year" and i believe that he made the move to Arkansas to try and follow in a long line of RB's  at #RBU here at Arkansas.  Especially with a coach that loves to run the ball like Bielema does. 

We really needed depth, and DW will provide that, even if he just hits his season averages from SCe days.   That will prove to be 'good enough'.  As others have said, anything more than that is just gravy.  But, i really feel that we will get a good year out of D.Will.    Ijust have very good feeling about it.   The kid has a lot of speed.  Probably top5 on arkansas team!  I like RWlll, but to me, the only thing that he lacked was the top end speed.  I think with Whaley, he'll have it.  Maleek seems to have quite a bit as well.  And DWill. will also have it.  I believe that the holes this year will be wider to run thru than they were last year.  That bodes well for all RB's!  Especially ones with a lot of speed.  Hopefully we can redshirt C.Hayden.   let him get stronger and fill out a little more.  He too has shiftiness and speed.   I always liked the #34 for a RB.  Madre Hills along with  the greatest that never was ,  Basil Shabazz (if i remember correctly).
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

bphi11ips

Quote from: Danimal on July 28, 2017, 05:29:59 pm

Classic!!!

I was about 11. Morton was always breaking those long runs. Running bowlegged by safeties with that T-bar facemask showing 33 to the defense on the back of his jersey.

Bacons Rebellion

In Arkansas, Dicky Morton embodied the face mask.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 28, 2017, 10:56:21 am
I have a feeling David Williams is going to make a big difference this season for the Hogs.
Other than providing depth I'd be curious to hear your reasoning. I know he was ranked high coming out of HS, but he couldn't get carries at USCe. It's possible he was overrated. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we got him b/c we need depth. However, it seems like we have a strong case of wishful thinking.

I've given my reasoning in other posts.  Hide and watch.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: WilsonHog on July 28, 2017, 12:32:28 pm
I believe Michael Forrest, the fullback from Earle who blocked for Ben Cowins, also wore #33.

Yep. Stud. Was one of the 3 Hogs that Holtz suspended before the '78 Orange Bowl, along with Cowen's & Bobo.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

rlamb

Another highly respected number has been #55. All-Americans Wayne "the thumper" Harris at MLB in 60'.
Ronnie Caveness in 64' and Dennis Winston All SWC in 75'. Other All-Americans to wear 55 were OG Jim
Barnes in 68' Dennis Kirkland wore 55 and was on the All-Sec bubble. I think Ledbetter (not AA though)
last year had 55.  Even one fair place kicker wore 55. It seems there was a highly touted young LB back
in the day that was given 55 as sort of as reward. nut he never panned.

Hoggish1

Quote from: sowmonella on July 28, 2017, 11:55:48 am

I was 33 once...  ;)

tophawg19

Williams Just like Wingo was with the wrong coaching staff . they didn't use them in a way to bring out their best Also i believe both were in the doghouse often
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Danimal

Quote from: bphi11ips on July 28, 2017, 09:52:52 pm
Classic!!!

I was about 11. Morton was always breaking those long runs. Running bowlegged by safeties with that T-bar facemask showing 33 to the defense on the back of his jersey.
Not sure what Morton's 40 time was (or if they even timed them back then), but his "in-game" speed was something to behold. I don't think I remember him ever being caught from behind by anyone.

ricepig

Quote from: Danimal on July 29, 2017, 04:04:05 pm
Not sure what Morton's 40 time was (or if they even timed them back then), but his "in-game" speed was something to behold. I don't think I remember him ever being caught from behind by anyone.

And those shoulder pads had to weigh 3X of today's, lol.

AirWarren

I think Vin Ascolese was supposed to wear #33.

Danimal

Quote from: ricepig on July 29, 2017, 04:07:29 pm
And those shoulder pads had to weigh 3X of today's, lol.
That's true. Oh well, at least they got to wear those tear-away jersey's back then. LOL