Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pics from practice

Started by lakecityhog, July 27, 2017, 07:15:31 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lakecityhog

FANONTHEHILL

Hey! I know that kid in the middle.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 27, 2017, 07:25:32 pm

Are those knee braces required for all? I doubt all need them . . . yet.

EFBAB

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: exit followed by a boar on July 27, 2017, 07:55:33 pm
Are those knee braces required for all? I doubt all need them . . . yet.

EFBAB
Team rule.  Every Olineman does not take the field without taped or braced ankles and their knee braces on.  All it takes is one guy slipping and falling into someone and it could cost an ACL.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MissippHog

What's with those lego helmet thingies?

bphi11ips

Quote from: MissippHog on July 27, 2017, 08:15:09 pm

Supposed to reduce concussions. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

bphi11ips

That boy appears to have a lot of bend in him!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

FANONTHEHILL

Those are made by a company called Guardian. They just snap on the the helmets and masks. They're supposed to reduce the amount of force on helmet to helmet contact by about a third.  They've outfitted all the lineman on both sides of the ball with them.  I texted with my son last night.  He said that they do reduce the blows to the head, but his detailed description was, "hot, very hot".  So it's a give and take.  You can't go an hour without some new CTE data coming out, so I imagine these are the way of the future. They'll probably start showing up regularly at the high school level for lineman to wear in practice.  I think they run about $60 a piece.

Steef

Best thread of July.

Thanks to Lake for the photos & FAN for the comments.

ChitownHawg

Smile big Pappa! Smile big time.  ;)
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 04:31:14 am
Those are made by a company called Guardian. They just snap on the the helmets and masks. They're supposed to reduce the amount of force on helmet to helmet contact by about a third.  They've outfitted all the lineman on both sides of the ball with them.  I texted with my son last night.  He said that they do reduce the blows to the head, but his detailed description was, "hot, very hot".  So it's a give and take.  You can't go an hour without some new CTE data coming out, so I imagine these are the way of the future. They'll probably start showing up regularly at the high school level for lineman to wear in practice.  I think they run about $60 a piece.

I think in one of Eddie Murphy's movies he says "Africa hot" that is probably what your son is describing.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

nchogg

Great pics, Thank You Fan.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 28, 2017, 05:41:43 am
I think in one of Eddie Murphy's movies he says "Africa hot" that is probably what your son is describing.  ;D

I thought it was Ferris Bueller in "Biloxi Blues" that said it?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 28, 2017, 05:41:43 am

And by late July/early August Fayetteville standards, yesterday was cool.  90ish and humid.  Going to get a lot hotter in the next few weeks.  Which is good.  They need that.

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 07:16:33 am
And by late July/early August Fayetteville standards, yesterday was cool.  90ish and humid.  Going to get a lot hotter in the next few weeks.  Which is good.  They need that.

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on July 28, 2017, 07:07:25 am
I thought it was Ferris Bueller in "Biloxi Blues" that said it?

You very well could be right. My memory is crap and fading fast.  :D

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 07:16:33 am

Don't talk to me about humidity. I moved back to Hong Kong in mid May and have felt at least 15 days of 90+% humidity.

I can handle the heat, but humidity just makes everything 100 times worse. Of course I'm running from a/c building to a/c building while these young men have no escape.  ;D

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ricepig on July 28, 2017, 07:21:10 am
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/predictions/814day/814temp.new.gif

Thanks for the meteorology report.  It looks like it may be like it was a couple years ago.  Hitter in October than it was in August and September.  They need to be out in the heat. 

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 07:31:58 am
Thanks for the meteorology report.  It looks like it may be like it was a couple years ago.  Hitter in October than it was in August and September.  They need to be out in the heat.

Says dad watching practice from his air conditioned car. "I love ya son, but I've been there done that. Don't need to do it again"  ;)

MissippHog

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 04:31:14 am
Awesome, thank you.  Makes sense to me and makes me wonder why haven't seen these before (at all levels.)

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MissippHog on July 28, 2017, 07:35:52 am
Awesome, thank you.  Makes sense to me and makes me wonder why haven't seen these before (at all levels.)

The way CBB was talking it sounds like this is pretty new product.

ricepig

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on July 28, 2017, 07:31:58 am

Well, between golfing, watching practice, and crops, I pay attention to the forecast, haha. Below normal may mean 1 or 2 degrees, it doesn't mean it's sweater weather. I just hope the humidity is reasonable, that's all I ask for......

MissippHog

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 28, 2017, 07:38:06 am
The way CBB was talking it sounds like this is pretty new product.
Looks like it is (I've been reading around the interwebs about them.)  With as much player safety / head injury talk nationally as we've had over the past 10 years, you would have thought someone would have came up with a similar product in that time.  Another one of those "why didn't I think of that" products, haha.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

practice helmets brought to you by Nerf  :D
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: ChitownHawg on July 28, 2017, 07:34:23 am
Says dad watching practice from his air conditioned car. "I love ya son, but I've been there done that. Don't need to do it again"  ;)

I'll be out there when the pads go on.  Of course I'll have a big bottle of water in hand the whole time.