Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

When the lights come on, the freaks come out?

Started by razorbackfan86, July 25, 2017, 01:44:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbackfan86

Are they doing that this year? Always enjoy watching these videos. If memory serves me correct, it usually happens around this time.

Hawgphish

I like watching them too but with last season's second half collapses maybe we don't need to do that.

hogcard1964

Yea, enough of this. 

Win some meaningful games and then call yourselves "freaks".

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Hawgphish on July 25, 2017, 01:57:32 pm
I like watching them too but with last season's second half collapses maybe we don't need to do that.
Makes sense.  An intense max out session under the lights that excites fans and grabs recruit eyeballs should probably be cancelled because it made us fail in the second half of our last two games last season.
All Gas, No Brakes!

greenie

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 25, 2017, 02:03:05 pm
Makes sense.  An intense max out session under the lights that excites fans and grabs recruit eyeballs should probably be cancelled because it made us fail in the second half of our last two games last season.

Made sense to me, too.  ???

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawgphish on July 25, 2017, 01:57:32 pm

I'd like to hear how you can attribute that to the second half collapses?

And for hogcard, you are just bored and looking for any chance to make a negative comment on the program

hogcard1964

Quote from: onebadrubi on July 25, 2017, 02:06:29 pm
I'd like to hear how you can attribute that to the second half collapses?

And for hogcard, you are just bored and looking for any chance to make a negative comment on the program

Not true.

a0ashle

I think those vids are fun, they look cool, they sell tickets and help with visibility to recruits.

Its impossible to find anything wrong with these if you SUPPORT the Razorbacks.

Now if you feel the Razorbacks OWE you something, that might be a different story.

Tusks

You know I don't think I'm a fan of the current strength program.  After watching the TTech game on the SECN, Ellis looked much faster his SPH. season than his SR season.

The hogs just don't look fast enough or have enough fast team speed.

They put to much B10 weight on these guys and then they lose their quickness and speed.  Man the hogs have to have a fast defense, that's all there is to it and they haven't had that in a while.

Too many players putting on too much weight.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

a0ashle

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 02:33:16 pm
You know I don't think I'm a fan of the current strength program.  After watching the TTech game on the SECN, Ellis looked much faster his SPH. season than his SR season.

They put to much B10 weight on these guys and then they lose their quickness and speed.  Man the hogs have to have a fast defense, that's all there is to it and they haven't had that in a while.

S&C is a fair target, but making hype videos didn't cause them to gain weight.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: razorbackfan86 on July 25, 2017, 01:44:05 pm
Are they doing that this year? Always enjoy watching these videos. If memory serves me correct, it usually happens around this time.
Just talked to a player. They arent doing the max squat thing in the stadium this year.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

AirWarren

Body by herb is one of the first things that needs to go if we do indeed fail this season.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: a0ashle on July 25, 2017, 02:34:54 pm
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Tusks

yeah but why not celebrate a transformation program ?  If they were getting players and making them bigger, FASTER & stronger, then by all means celebrate it, but the NFL workout numbers over the last few years has been anything but impressive.  it's touting ones horn with nothing to back it up.

factchecker

Our fans are bipolar.  The same one's bitching about hype videos are the same one's who will bring another team's hype video and complain "why isn't we dooin things like dis.  Dis is why we aren't gettn croots".

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on July 25, 2017, 02:36:22 pm
Just talked to a player. They arent doing the max squat thing in the stadium this year.

Probably mainly due to construction but you never know.

In the meantime here are a couple of short clips showing our players working:

https://twitter.com/B_DePrato11/status/888242429022932992

https://twitter.com/Kingg_Tutt4/status/887735785667133440

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/869601404234719233

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/873201161402273793

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/875783015099768833
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

a0ashle

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 02:44:45 pm
yeah but why not celebrate a transformation program ?  If they were getting players and making them bigger, FASTER & stronger, then by all means celebrate it, but the NFL workout numbers over the last few years has been anything but impressive.  it's touting ones horn with nothing to back it up.

It's a hype video for fans and a fun event for players.

I would be very impressed if turned out the players were the ones to decide if they wanted to do it or not, might be a statement in itself.

bennyl08

Ellis may have looked faster to you his sophomore season, but he wasn't.

Coming in as a freshmen, he weighed 224. His sophomore season he was up to 244 pounds. Junior year he was 242 and his senior season he was 245. He ran a 4.8 forty which is pretty good for an ILB at the NFL combine. Where is this "too much big 10 weight" that you are talking about that he gained after his "faster" sophomore season?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=589957.0

Here is my multi-year thread showing player weights as they evolve over time. Perhaps you can find a better example...
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

a0ashle

July 25, 2017, 03:13:18 pm #17 Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:01:44 pm by a0ashle
Quote from: bennyl08 on July 25, 2017, 03:03:54 pm
Ellis may have looked faster to you his sophomore season, but he wasn't.

Coming in as a freshmen, he weighed 224. His sophomore season he was up to 244 pounds. Junior year he was 242 and his senior season he was 245. He ran a 4.8 forty which is pretty good for an ILB at the NFL combine. Where is this "too much big 10 weight" that you are talking about that he gained after his "faster" sophomore season?

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=589957.0

Here is my multi-year thread showing player weights as they evolve over time. Perhaps you can find a better example...

Our LBs were too small for forever, now they are too big. It's a goldilocks problem.

gchamblee

bennyl08

Quote from: a0ashle on July 25, 2017, 03:13:18 pm
Our LBs we're too small for forever, now they are too big. It's a goldilocks problem.

Why can't we have 250 pound LB's that run 4.40 forties? And be 3 deep with guys like that? It not fair!  >:( >:( >:(
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

a0ashle

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 25, 2017, 03:36:13 pm
Why can't we have 250 pound LB's that run 4.40 forties? And be 3 deep with guys like that? It not fair!  >:( >:( >:(

Right? My Madden teams always had them, they were 7'3" too.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Deep Shoat on July 25, 2017, 02:03:05 pm

Our recruiting took a huge leap due to that session.

Al Boarland

Being slow has nothing to do with the S&C program. You recruit size and speed. Unfortunately, we usually have to settle for one or the other 9 times out of 10.

Tusks

Ok the hogs just produced the worst razorback defense in modern times.  they've had defense players drafted the last what 5 drafts so its not like there hasn't been some talent on the field.   watch it with your own eyes.  watch the games, against ttech, Ellis covered much more ground at a quicker pace.

You know if the hogs were a top 10 team then it would be nit picky but they have been very average with average results, so I get it's 'fun for the kids' but man how about a little walking the walk when you talk the talk.

Fine, all is well carry on, nothing to see here, everything is great.

Tusks

Quote from: Al Boarland on July 25, 2017, 05:01:44 pm
Being slow has nothing to do with the S&C program. You recruit size and speed. Unfortunately, we usually have to settle for one or the other 9 times out of 10.

Escuse me, then recruit faster players.  Sacrifice some size for the speed. 

Derrick Graham is a perfect example of what's happened under this S & C program.

If you don't think you can train some additional speed then I can't help you.  What do you think the sand pits are for in the weight room?

factchecker

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 05:10:18 pm
Escuse me, then recruit faster players.  Sacrifice some size for the speed. 

Derrick Graham is a perfect example of what's happened under this S & C program.

If you don't think you can train some additional speed then I can't help you.  What do you think the sand pits are for in the weight room?

What example does Derrick Graham provide?

Graham redshirted his freshman year then transferred.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 05:10:18 pm

To work on your bunker game.....

Tusks

Quote from: factchecker on July 25, 2017, 05:12:13 pm
What example does Derrick Graham provide?

Graham redshirted his freshman year then transferred.

He blew up to 260 lbs and washed out.  He became a workout warrior and worked his way right off the team.  Why not keep these LB lean.  Squating a billion pounds doesn't matter if you can't get to the guy to lay the lick.

Never mind best S & C eva !

Tusks

Quote from: ricepig on July 25, 2017, 05:12:50 pm
To work on your bunker game.....

Maybe they're spending too much time on their bunker game and not enough time speed training.

bennyl08

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 05:06:48 pm
Ok the hogs just produced the worst razorback defense in modern times.  they've had defense players drafted the last what 5 drafts so its not like there hasn't been some talent on the field.   watch it with your own eyes.  watch the games, against ttech, Ellis covered much more ground at a quicker pace.

You know if the hogs were a top 10 team then it would be nit picky but they have been very average with average results, so I get it's 'fun for the kids' but man how about a little walking the walk when you talk the talk.

Fine, all is well carry on, nothing to see here, everything is great.

We haven't even had hogs drafted in the last 2 drafts... Defensive hogs drafted include the years 2017, 2015, 2014, 2012, and then you have to go back to 2008. So, using your 5 year mark, we've had players drafted in 3 of the past draft classes totaling 7 picks, of which Wise Jr and Flowers were the only two to go above the 5th round (both in the 4th). 4 of those 7 picks came from the 2015 class with Flowers, Spaight, Philon, and Mitchel.

Ellis really didn't move quicker when you actually watch it. You think he did because our defense overall worked better (it was a top 10 defense in 2014...). With Spaight at LB, Ellis wasn't asked to do as much so he was able to just play and not have to think.

Ellis ran a 4.79 at the combine and a 4.70 at his pro day. That is right on par with your average NFL LB and well above average for a college LB, not to mention his top notch 3-cone performances. Admittedly, watching the tape, it seemed like he was slow on change of direction but plenty fast straight line, though that was apparently incorrect.

However, let's assume your gut instinct is correct. What made Ellis slow down after his sophomore season? His weight didn't change. He didn't add a bunch of weight. He was actually a couple pounds lighter his junior season and 1 pound heavier his senior season. Did he lose muscle mass and gain weight? Did he lose mass in his legs and just put more weight on his upper body? Why did he slow down?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 25, 2017, 06:17:59 pm
We haven't even had hogs drafted in the last 2 drafts... Defensive hogs drafted include the years 2017, 2015, 2014, 2012, and then you have to go back to 2008. So, using your 5 year mark, we've had players drafted in 3 of the past draft classes totaling 7 picks, of which Wise Jr and Flowers were the only two to go above the 5th round (both in the 4th). 4 of those 7 picks came from the 2015 class with Flowers, Spaight, Philon, and Mitchel.

Ellis really didn't move quicker when you actually watch it. You think he did because our defense overall worked better (it was a top 10 defense in 2014...). With Spaight at LB, Ellis wasn't asked to do as much so he was able to just play and not have to think.

Ellis ran a 4.79 at the combine and a 4.70 at his pro day. That is right on par with your average NFL LB and well above average for a college LB, not to mention his top notch 3-cone performances. Admittedly, watching the tape, it seemed like he was slow on change of direction but plenty fast straight line, though that was apparently incorrect.

However, let's assume your gut instinct is correct. What made Ellis slow down after his sophomore season? His weight didn't change. He didn't add a bunch of weight. He was actually a couple pounds lighter his junior season and 1 pound heavier his senior season. Did he lose muscle mass and gain weight? Did he lose mass in his legs and just put more weight on his upper body? Why did he slow down?

Having to think too much instead of just playing the instinctual part of his game. Plus, any MLB is going to appear to be slow when the DC can't scheme better than to allow the opposing OC to scheme the defense in such a way that, you get a MLB-WR/Flanker match up in coverage. Thank you, Robb Smith.
Go Hogs Go!

factchecker

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 05:31:30 pm
He blew up to 260 lbs and washed out.  He became a workout warrior and worked his way right off the team.  Why not keep these LB lean.  Squating a billion pounds doesn't matter if you can't get to the guy to lay the lick.

Never mind best S & C eva !

Graham never got up to 260 lbs.  The heaviest he weighed was 255:

https://twitter.com/Mrdetermine352/status/627951156757598208

He was moved to defensive end because of how long he was.  In hindsight he would have benefited from staying because he would have been a perfect Hog linebacker in our 3-4 defense.

Beyond that, I wouldn't say someone who transfers after one year in a Strength and Conditioning program is evidence of anything ----- good or bad.

ADD:

Biggus even noted this in the Graham transfer thread -

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 04, 2016, 01:42:24 pm
He has not been a linebacker for a long time. My guess is he wants to move closer to home + play in a 3-4 that uses bigger linebackers. He was playing end at Arkansas.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

oldfart

Quote from: factchecker on July 25, 2017, 02:49:50 pm
Our fans are bipolar.  The same one's bitching about hype videos are the same one's who will bring another team's hype video and complain "why isn't we dooin things like dis.  Dis is why we aren't gettn croots".

Probably mainly due to construction but you never know.

In the meantime here are a couple of short clips showing our players working:

https://twitter.com/B_DePrato11/status/888242429022932992

https://twitter.com/Kingg_Tutt4/status/887735785667133440

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/869601404234719233

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/873201161402273793

https://twitter.com/VidHogs/status/875783015099768833

who was that doing the hurdle jump? that was INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ricepig

bennyl08

Quote from: oldfart on July 25, 2017, 06:39:00 pm
who was that doing the hurdle jump? that was INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!

The video was posted by Brito Tutt. Looks to be about the right build for Tutt.

Tusks

like I said, best S & C on the hill EVA!

Graham was the 'new' LB that the hogs were going to start getting.  That's how he was touted when he arrived.  Nothing against Biggus but his assessment is just as speculative than mine.  Oh and sorry I missed on a whole 5 lbs.  That was off the top off my head, forgive me baby jesus.

Carry on.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: tusked on July 25, 2017, 07:02:22 pm
like I said, best S & C on the hill EVA!

Graham was the 'new' LB that the hogs were going to start getting.  That's how he was touted when he arrived.  Nothing against Biggus but his assessment is just as speculative than mine.  Oh and sorry I missed on a whole 5 lbs.  That was off the top off my head, forgive me baby jesus.

Carry on.

You know, when you are dealing with 17-23 year old young men they sometimes have a hard time seeing the long term, big picture. No matter how much you try to explain it to them, they sometimes have their own vision of how things are supposed to be, whether they have done all that was asked of them or not.

Sometimes they actually think that they are better than they have been evaluated to be, based on what they have accomplished and been dedicated to in their time in the program.

Often times, lacking foresight and not respecting the evaluation of their coaching staff, because they think they are better, they choose to transfer. Because they will do better somewhere else. Rarely does that end up being the case.

Who has transferred from Arkansas during the Bielema years that has set the world on fire at their next school? Name one.

And, there are going to be misses in terms of evaluation. It happens. Everyone has these. Yes, even Alabama.
Go Hogs Go!

Justifiable Hogicide

This thread title could be the name of Hugh Freeze's new book which is no doubt coming.

PorkSoda

I agree we need to recruit more speed.  if we aren't going to recruit speed, then we at least need to coach reaction speed / play speed.

something has got to give.  I know there is more to it than speed, still.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

colbs

I think you are just assuming this.  There is really no proof that Ellis lost any speed.  I agree they need more speed especially on defense but I don't think they are getting these guys and putting a ton of weight on them to slow them down. 

FANONTHEHILL

They did the videos above all summer.  The two off season end videos (Tutt and Sosa)were done as position groups rather than the full team thiis year.  They filmed all of these last week. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Kevin

I just want to be able to punch other teams in the mouth. 

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

oldfart

Quote from: bennyl08 on July 25, 2017, 06:41:00 pm
The video was posted by Brito Tutt. Looks to be about the right build for Tutt.

Biggus Piggus

I am going to love watching this team, this season.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

When the threads come on, the posters come out.
[CENSORED]!

Oklahawg

When we beat Bama next there will be posters who complain we didn't run up the score enough.

Two 1000-yard rushers who are first team AA? We should have three.

Some around here are NEVER satisfied. And, to be fair, too few of us have been more-than-satisfied very often in the SEC era.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

nwahogfan1

July 26, 2017, 10:57:41 pm #47 Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 11:16:03 pm by nwahogfan1
Quote from: razorbackfan86 on July 25, 2017, 01:44:05 pm

I enjoyed the videos also and I have to admit I am impressed with the squat weights these guys are doing but I after seeing the last 2 years our defense looking slow, not making tackles or covering WRs in space I would be much more impressed with DB freaks who run 4.3 in the 40 or LB and DLM who run a great time in the 20 yard shuttle.  I want speed on the field this year and guys flying to the ball making tackles all over the field with an attitude.  LOL>

Pig in the Pokey

if this thread's title is true, i cant wait for the lights to actually come on....
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS