Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surprising sec QB position ranking

Started by LRRandy, June 14, 2017, 07:46:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

ChicoHog

wow!  Kind of insulting to Allen.  I would have us in the top 5 minimum and probably top 3 with Bama and MSU and/or UGA. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Al Boarland

Don't really know much about the backups, but Allen should have us in the top 4.

Wildhog

I actually think we have a great stable of QB's.  Ranking is WAY too low IMO.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

grayhawg

All the praise writers are heaping on Stidham, wouldn't it be a blast if he bombs in the SEC?

LRRandy

Quote from: Wildhog on June 14, 2017, 09:11:59 pm
I actually think we have a great stable of QB's.  Ranking is WAY too low IMO.
agree. That's why I said surprising. Allens talent alone puts them top 3.
This is fun, isn't it.

PorkRinds

They have people who haven't taken a college snap ahead of us. It's stupid.

bphi11ips

That may be the stupidest QB ranking I've ever seen.  Seriously.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

blu

"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

PORKULATOR

Idiots wrote, edited and published this article.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

GuvHog

Quote from: grayhawg on June 14, 2017, 09:20:12 pm
All the praise writers are heaping on Stidham, wouldn't it be a blast if he bombs in the SEC?

Given his history, he's more likely to go down early with a season ending injury than he is to bomb.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LZH

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 15, 2017, 10:14:37 am
What history?  One leg injury isn't history.

Of course it is.

Sincerely,
Guv

Poker_hog

If this is true we won't have a winning record this year.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

jgphillips3

Allen is top 3 this moment.  When December rolls around, barring injury, he will either have been the best QB in the SEC or no worse than 3rd.  The way we give our backups time to develop, means they will be ready to grab the keys to Enos' offense when Allen graduates.  I wouldn't trade our QB situation with anyone in the conference at all.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 10:29:33 am
Allen is top 3 this moment.  When December rolls around, barring injury, he will either have been the best QB in the SEC or no worse than 3rd.  The way we give our backups time to develop, means they will be ready to grab the keys to Enos' offense when Allen graduates.  I wouldn't trade our QB situation with anyone in the conference at all.

I just wish we'd actually give our backups some experience during the season.
1909/1964/1965/1977

jgphillips3

Quote from: Wildhog on June 15, 2017, 10:32:01 am

I think we will this year.  The non-conference, other than TCU, should give the backups the last half of the third and full fourth quarter to work if Enos feels comfortable with Allen's connection with the new receivers.

Wildhog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 10:58:31 am
I think we will this year.  The non-conference, other than TCU, should give the backups the last half of the third and full fourth quarter to work if Enos feels comfortable with Allen's connection with the new receivers.

I'll believe it when I see it. 
1909/1964/1965/1977

jgphillips3

Quote from: Wildhog on June 15, 2017, 11:01:55 am
I'll believe it when I see it. 

I understand.  Perhaps the most idiotic thing I have seen at the UofA was not playing Austin against Mizzou when BA was hurt and indicated just how stubborn they are and how little they trust the backup but, the season could spiral out of control if Austin gets hurt leaving them coaching for their lives next year so I think a 3rd year Enos who has developed the pups himself will make better decisions in regards to getting them some PT.  I just honestly believe they have never felt comfortable with their #2 and have made cupcake games too dang close to take chances.  If we don't see it this year...well...that's not a good sign.

LRRandy

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 10:58:31 am
there has seemed to be a reluctance on the staffs part to play anyone but the starting QB. You make a key point about the connection between QB and WR. This year it may be even more important not to play backups to get the timing down during live game action.
This is fun, isn't it.

bphi11ips

Quote from: LRRandy on June 15, 2017, 11:19:09 am
there has seemed to be a reluctance on the staffs part to play anyone but the starting QB. You make a key point about the connection between QB and WR. This year it may be even more important not to play backups to get the timing down during live game action.

Yep, especially early.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

1highhog

Quote from: Wildhog on June 15, 2017, 10:32:01 am

I agree with you, we never give our QB's enough time to develop any on the field playing experience, except for about 2 minutes at the end of a game and being a good handeroffer.  Now, they do get valuable training of walking the sidelines with a clipboard, but that doesn't help them much when thrown into the SEC schedule.

gchamblee

Im sure I am in the minority, but I believe if your starter is healthy you play him. There is no such thing as too many reps before going into SEC play.

jgphillips3

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 11:52:56 am
Im sure I am in the minority, but I believe if your starter is healthy you play him. There is no such thing as too many reps before going into SEC play.

For a first year starter or freshman or sophomore, I agree.  However, Austin is a senior and he's been through the wringer of the SEC before.  He knows what's coming.  If he gets hurt, we can't count on an Auburn/Tyler Wilson miracle a second time.  Therefore, with a senior QB, I think giving him time on the sidelines during mop up duty only helps him by letting him see the game from the coaches perspective and lets the young ones get their first experience against someone other than an elite team.

GuvHog

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 12:07:27 pm
For a first year starter or freshman or sophomore, I agree.  However, Austin is a senior and he's been through the wringer of the SEC before.  He knows what's coming.  If he gets hurt, we can't count on an Auburn/Tyler Wilson miracle a second time.  Therefore, with a senior QB, I think giving him time on the sidelines during mop up duty only helps him by letting him see the game from the coaches perspective and lets the young ones get their first experience against someone other than an elite team.

I 100% agree about Austin Allen but if he should (Heaven forbid) go down with an injury, DO NOT underestimate Cole Kelley. The coaches are very high on this young man.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

LZH

Lots of variables, I know, but if you're up by 30 points going into the 4th quarter your best players should be headed to the bench....certainly AA and DW included. Rotate backups in with the starters if you want to, but I see no reason to leave your best players on the field when the game is all but decided.

gchamblee

Quote from: jgphillips3 on June 15, 2017, 12:07:27 pm

Auburn/Tyler wasn't a miracle, it was the result of having a quality QB in the shadows that had been in the system long enough to know the playbook and reads and just needed to fling a few to get his sea legs. I think if Austin goes down, we will see similar results since I believe Enos is as good as Petrino at developing QB's.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on June 15, 2017, 12:22:48 pm
Lots of variables, I know, but if you're up by 30 points going into the 4th quarter your best players should be headed to the bench....certainly AA and DW included. Rotate backups in with the starters if you want to, but I see no reason to leave your best players on the field when the game is all but decided.

I agree sort of, I am just running with the narrative here that our coaching staff sucks and we will never be up by 30 on anyone.

gchamblee

Quote from: LZH on June 15, 2017, 12:22:48 pm

Do you think e should have put backup QB in the game against Mizz and VT last year in the 3rd quarter? We were up big and it seems to meet the criteria for resting starters.

King Kong

Makes very little sense. I don't understand who QB situations that don't have 3 guys as good as Austin can be ranked ahead. Even if they are just going by Recruiting Rankings Storey was highly rated.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

These preseason team/position rankings are never correct when it comes teams like Arkansas because the rely far too heavily on star rankings
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Pigsknuckles

Regardless of who you blame, getting skunked 56-0 in the 2nd half of the last two games of a season will do that to you.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

daBoar

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on June 15, 2017, 02:02:18 pm
Regardless of who you blame, getting skunked 56-0 in the 2nd half of the last two games of a season will do that to you.
That's CBB's current resume; sure beats the tar out of 3 Rose Bowl appearances.

HogBreath

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 14, 2017, 09:37:37 pm
That may be the stupidest QB ranking I've ever seen.  Seriously.
That's for sure!  Who ever wrote that garbage is an idiot.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on June 14, 2017, 08:37:46 pm
wow!  Kind of insulting to Allen.  I would have us in the top 5 minimum and probably top 3 with Bama and MSU and/or UGA.

I read the article meaning the rankings were based upon QB competition. The lower ranked teams have identified their QB while the top-ranked teams have a QB battle.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Three and Snout

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 12:44:16 pm
Do you think e should have put backup QB in the game against Mizz and VT last year in the 3rd quarter? We were up big and it seems to meet the criteria for resting starters.

Good point. 

I believe in resting offensive starters with a big lead, but you should keep trying for a defensive shutout/lowest score possible by playing mostly starters on defense.

MuskogeeHogFan

Then there is Athlon and their Top 25 QB Rankings. Allen lands at #14 in this ranking with Stidham ahead of him in this ranking as well.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-footballs-top-25-quarterbacks-2017#12
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 12:44:16 pm

I was referring to OOC games, mostly....cupcakes.

mizzouman

These rankings don't mean a damn thing.  It's all subjective.  There's no criteria.  But asks yourselves this.  If your team has the ball on your own 20 with 2 minutes left and need a TD to win, who do you want?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: mizzouman on June 16, 2017, 07:36:09 am
These rankings don't mean a damn thing.  It's all subjective.  There's no criteria.  But asks yourselves this.  If your team has the ball on your own 20 with 2 minutes left and need a TD to win, who do you want?

You are just whining because this is the second QB ranking that has omitted Drew Lock. Now of course you realize that none of these polls are going to help a player, play better or worse and your team, win more or win less, right? It is all pre-season crapola.
Go Hogs Go!

Wildhog

Pretty comfortable with AA in that situation, provided he gets a little protection from his OL.
1909/1964/1965/1977

ChitownHawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 16, 2017, 07:51:38 am
You are just whining because this is the second QB ranking that has omitted Drew Lock. Now of course you realize that none of these polls are going to help a player, play better or worse and your team, win more or win less, right?y It is all pre-season crapola.

I kind of recall Mike Irwin saying he doesn't vote on the SEC preseason poll. The record he gave was horrendous.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

factchecker

This guy:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

HamSammich

Meh, just not an Austin allen fan... he is serviceable IF we had the parts around him. The allens maybe the downfall of Long and CBB

gchamblee

Quote from: HamSammich on June 16, 2017, 10:28:58 pm
Meh, just not an Austin allen fan... he is serviceable IF we had the parts around him. The allens maybe the downfall of Long and CBB

I lol'd.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: gchamblee on June 15, 2017, 12:43:12 pm
I agree sort of, I am just running with the narrative here that our coaching staff sucks and we will never be up by 30 on anyone.
Our coaching staff sucks?. Get bent. Are you a NC or bust guy or what?
The 3legged dog is ashamed of your weakened fandom. Lol
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Pork Twain

Quote from: The ColonelHog on June 15, 2017, 10:14:37 am
What history?  One leg injury isn't history.
Obviously you do not speak Guv
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

LZH

Quote from: HamSammich on June 16, 2017, 10:28:58 pm

The Allen brothers have kept BB from being lynched.....